It is that time

I have an announcement to make. Set your clocks for 7pm ET this Friday.

In my ongoing quest to become competent enough to maybe one day sit behind a certain golden microphone, I’ve kept guest hosting here in Macon.

On Friday, however, I’ll be headed up to Atlanta to sit in for Herman Cain on his radio show. WSB, the station, which also happens to presently be the most listened to talk radio station in the country, is now not just giving me 50,000 watts to abuse, but an FM station as well.

That’s right — the show is simulcast, i.e. causing liberals to cry out even more about those awful conservative talk radio guys taking over.

Consider this an open thread.

1. B Balz says:

Hey Erick,

That’s great for you, please try to actually improve something other than ratings, thanks.

2. John Konop says:

Newt is wrong and this is exactly what Bin Laden wants us to enrage and insult the Muslims around the world. The saddest part is the Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf helped the FBI after 9/11 with counterterrism efforts. This is the same crazy logic that got us into the endless failed nation building foreign policy. Do you really think we are at war with the Muslims? And if so how do you win a war against billions of Muslim people?

Newt Gingrich compares mosque to Nazis

“Nazis don’t have the right to put up a sign next to the Holocaust museum in Washington,” Gingrich insisted, speaking of the museum where just a year ago a guard was killed by a white supremacist trying to enter the building with a gun.

New York – ‘Ground Zero Mosque’ Imam Helped FBI With Counterterrorism Efforts

• polisavvy says:

John, have you heard why we are paying for the Imam’s trip around the world? They keep reporting on television that we are paying for it — I haven’t heard a reason why. If they can afford to build the mosque, can’t they afford to pay for his person’s travel expenses. Just curious.

• polisavvy says:

As an aside, while it’s a right to build the mosque where ever they want, it’s not right as a matter of good taste and respect.

• ZazaPachulia says:

yeesh… Konop’s right. I was working late last night. As I was driving home, I commenced my usual radio channel surf. With some crappy Usher song on Hot 107.9, I flipped to 95.5 The Beat… And guess what I found. No, not the latest hot track from Gucci Mane (although that would have been nice). It was Michael Savage’s ‘Savage Nation.’ The talk radio channel that Robespierre of Macon is all giddy about guesting on took over one Hotlanta’s hip hop stations — without announcing it ahead of time. I was not the only one saying ‘WTF?’ last night, I’m sure of that. So, back to that goon Savage. His head was exploding over this mosque thing. He was just going crazy about it.

The Constitution is pretty clear on this one, folks. We conservatives are supposed to believe in the Constitution. They should be allowed to build their mosque. It’s not on ground zero anyway. I’ve talked to several of my former shipmates about this and they agree with me — every one. Those of us that joined up and fought after 9-11 (and before) seem to get what Savage and company can’t seem to grasp.

• polisavvy says:

First of all, I thank you for your service. What branch? I know it’s a Constitutional right. I just happen to feel that it’s disrespectful of the victims and their families for it to be built there. It’s more a matter of what is and isn’t in good taste. That’s just my opinion, for whatever it is or isn’t worth.

• ZazaPachulia says:

You welcome… I was in the Navy… signed up straight out of high school, a couple months before 9/11. Things changed real fast.

You can make an argument for good or bad taste till the cows come home. It doesn’t change the fact that the constitution specifically prevents the government from stepping in and prohibiting the mosque from being built. If you want to do the legal gymnastics needed to force them to move to another site, you’re using big government to get the outcome you desire.

• John Konop says:

ZazaPachulia,

Well said!!!!

….You can make an argument for good or bad taste till the cows come home. It doesn’t change the fact that the constitution specifically prevents the government from stepping in and prohibiting the mosque from being built. If you want to do the legal gymnastics needed to force them to move to another site, you’re using big government to get the outcome you desire…..

• polisavvy says:

I’m not for the government getting involved. I don’t think the government should get involved. I don’t even think that the President should have interjected himself into the equation at all. I’ve not said that they had to move to another site. I was just saying what I personally think. I believe I’m not alone and that there are others who feel that there is a right to do something and a right to do something in good taste and with respect. That’s all I’m saying. This debate can go on forever; however, I’ve got my opinion and other people have their opinions. Ain’t American grand that we can even have this type of dialogue?? And, that we are able to have this type of dialogue because of the sacrifices made by the acts of courage of our military (past, present, and future).

• John Konop says:

polisavvy,

I agree it is great we can have the debate. My biggest concern is we need the help of Muslim people to help with terrorism problems. By comparing their religion to Nazi Germany only creates more problems.

I have many good friends who are Muslim. And the majority of Muslim people want the same that many of us want, a safe place for our kids to have an opportunity to be educated and prosper.

• polisavvy says:

At the end of the day John, that’s all any of us should want for our children. To want anything less is a great injustice for them. I have no problems with Muslims. True Muslims want peace just as much as the rest of us. I have never nor would I ever compare true Muslims to Nazi’s. Those were truly vile and disgusting people just like I view the Muslim extremists — the ones who participated in 9/11.

• John Konop says:

FYI

…..Olson’s wife, conservative commentator and lawyer Barbara Olson, perished on September 11 aboard American Airlines Flight 77, the plane that was hijacked and flown in the Pentagon.

Asked on MSNBC about his opinion on the plans to construct a 13-story Islamic community center two blocks away from Ground Zero, Olson gave a response that served as a rather high profile departure from what has become the conservative norm on the issue.

“Well it may not make me hap– popular with some people, but I think, probably, the president was right about this,” Olson told MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell. “I do believe that people of all religions have a right to build edifices, or structures, or places of religious worship or study where the community allows them to do it under zoning laws and that sort of thing, and that we don’t want to turn an act of hate against us by extremists into an act of intolerance for people of religious faith. And I don’t think it should be a political issue. It shouldn’t be a Republican or Democratic issue, either. I believe Gov. Christie from New Jersey said it well, that this should not be in that political, partisan marketplace.”…..

Watch Olson on MSNBC:

• Lady Thinker says:

Good comments John. You have some deep insight on this issue, just like you do on the education issues. You should run for office again.

3. John Konop says:

polisavvy,

He was key person in helping us fight terrorism and set up alliances with the moderate parts of the Muslim world. He has a very high clearance in the FBI and his been a hero to the effort against terrorism with both administrations.

……In March 2003, federal officials were being criticized for disrespecting the rights of Arab-Americans in their efforts to crack down on domestic security threats in the post-9/11 environment. Hoping to calm the growing tempers, FBI officials in New York hosted a forum on ways to deal with Muslim and Arab-Americans without exacerbating social tensions. The bureau wanted to provide agents with “a clear picture,” said Kevin Donovan, director of the FBI’s New York office.
    Brought in to speak that morning—at the office building located just blocks from Ground Zero—was one of the city’s most respected Muslim voices: Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf. The imam offered what was for him a familiar sermon to those in attendance. “Islamic extremism for the majority of Muslims is an oxymoron,” he said. “It is a fundamental contradiction in terms.”…….

…..“Imam Feisal has participated at the Aspen Institute in Muslim-Christian-Jewish working groups looking at ways to promote greater religious tolerance,” Walter Isaacson, head of The Aspen Institute told the Huffington Post. “He has consistently denounced radical Islam and terrorism, and promoted a moderate and tolerant Islam. Some of this work was done under the auspices of his own group, the Cordoba Initiative. I liked his book, and I participated in some of the meetings in 2004 or so. This is why I find it a shame that his good work is being undermined by this inflamed dispute. He is the type of leader we should be celebrating in America, not undermining.”…..

• Jace Walden says:

Not to sound elitist, but the kind of people who sit around listening to news talk radio on a Friday night typically aren’t the type of people whose praise I seek or whose opinions I lose sleep over.

There are exceptions (I’m looking at you Pye) 😉

4. Jeremy Jones says:

Mayor Ronnie Cobb of Ft. Oglethorpe died last night.

Not news worthy of statewide coverage, maybe, however, in 5 years, when Catoosa County is the fastest growing county in the state, Mayor Cobb will be the one to thank.

For those unfamiliar, Catoosa County is a border county and we often lose big retail to the much larger city of Chattanooga, TN, even though their sales tax is almost 30% higher.

Mayor Cobb got Costco to locate in Catoosa County for a variety of reasons, very few costing the taxpayers of the county/state money.

Once open, larger stores will of course come.

This will expand our tax base a great deal and finally allow for the infrastructure investment sorely needed up here.

He was also a friend, so I wanted give him proper respect on this board.

5. rightofcenter says:

Condolences on your loss. Sounds like a swell guy.

In fact, he sounds like he deserves much better than proper respect on this board. Just sayin’.

6. John Konop says:

Pro-hate groups destroying the conservative movement!

Ann Coulter Dropped from Conservative Conference over Participation in Gay Republican Event “HOMOCON”
    Conservative commentator Ann Coulter has been told she is no longer welcome to offer the keynote speech at WorldNetDaily’s “Taking America Back National Conference” because she is speaking at an event sponsored by a gay Republican group.

WorldNetDaily, a far right news website, posted on a story on its website stating that Coulter had been disinvited “because of her plan to address an event titled ‘HOMOCON’ sponsored by the homosexual Republican group GOProud that promotes same-sex marriage and military service for open homosexuals.”

“Ultimately, as a matter of principle, it would not make sense for us to have Ann speak to a conference about ‘taking America back’ when she clearly does not recognize that the ideals to be espoused there simply do not include the radical and very ‘unconservative’ agenda represented by GOProud,” WorldNetDaily’s editor and chief executive officer Joseph Farah said in the story. “The drift of the conservative movement to a brand of materialistic libertarianism is one of the main reasons we planned this conference from the beginning.”