The Zombie Apocalypse is upon us!

Wait, it’s not? Then what is it that is causing all of this mass hysteria? Oh, right.

As with most of my opinions, you can blame them on my youth and inexperience. But I just don’t understand the Republican hysteria surrounding Roy Barnes’s potential (but long-shot) return to power. As I and others have pointed out time and again, Roy’s fiscal policy wasn’t all that bad. It actually compares favorably to Republican Governor Sonny Perdue’s fiscal record. So what is it about Roy Barnes that has so many people sacrificing their firstborn in order to prevent his retaking the “throne”?

“Roy Barnes ruled like a king.” Yeah, got it. Point acknowledged. If Perdue was one thing, it was completely disengaged and ambivalent. He was the Yin to Roy’s Yang. Unlike Roy, he didn’t meddle in the day to day business of the legislature, and he generally didn’t use his office as a bully-pulpit through which to threaten his dissenters. But then again, he didn’t have to. In the House, Sonny had Glenn Richardson and Earl Ehrhart to serve as enforcers. While one was banging a lobbyist and the other turning a blind eye to it, both ensured that dissenters were punished with loss of seniority and committee positions. In the Senate, Sonny had the Lieutenant Governor. When the latest in a long, sad history of GOP sponsored tax increases came to the Senate floor, Sonny needed votes. And when it looked like he wasn’t going to get them, Casey Cagle took action. In vain of Glenn Richardson, Cagle threatened committee assignments and seniority in order to push through Sonny’s tax increase. With loyal lap-dog enforcers like Cagle and Richardson, why would Sonny need to be the bad guy? And how was the Republican legislature’s way of keeping the troops in line any better than Roy’s?

“ZOMG! Oh noes, what about redistricting?” If there is one thing Republicans are good at, it’s creating a pseudo-crisis out of nothing. Redistricting is the biggest red herring of all. First, regardless of what Roy Barnes wants to do with the districts, any plan will have to be supported by a heavily GOP-controlled legislature. Second, regardless of what Roy or the legislature want to do, the final legality of the entire issue will be decided by the courts. Redistricting is a non-issue. Roy Barnes can do nothing to affect it.

So why the hysteria? Simple, disgruntled Republicans have to create some sort of moral justification for doing something against their “principles”. It seems like a lot of GOP folks out there are just too scared to say they’re voting for Deal because he’s a Republican. I give Doug Grammer a lot of crap on here for being such a hyper-partisan, but at least he’s honest. He’ll vote for the GOP nominee every time because he believes it’s superior to voting for the Democratic nominee. I may not agree with it, but at least he isn’t trying to blow smoke up my rear end and tell me it’s for some other reason.

It’s funny. Back in the primary, “ethics” seemed to matter. Nathan’s “ghetto grandmother” comments seemed to be important. Now all of the sudden, Republicans are flocking in droves to Nathan Deal because of the Roy Barnes Boogeyman. A boogeyman that doesn’t exist. So, all of you who are begrudgingly supporting Nathan Deal because you’re “afraid” of what Roy Barnes will do, quit lying to me. Quit lying to yourselves. Roy wasn’t as bad as you want him to be. And as fiscally irresponsible as the GOP has been recently, he could easily be a thriving member of your party. The real reason you’re not supporting Barnes has nothing to do with his fiscal policy, or his leadership style, or the threat of redistricting or any other pseudo-crisis you can invent. It boils down to something much simpler:

The “D” beside his name. Deal with it.

1. Chris says:

You forget the patronage. If Roy is elected Governor, lots of “good Republicans” will lose out on being appointed to boards and committees where they’ll be wined and dined by the lobbyists and rent-seekers.

That is the real reason Le Roi must be defeated.

• polisavvy says:

It wasn’t just the flag! I certainly didn’t approve of how that was handled, that’s for darn sure. None of us will ever forget the disgustingly ugly thing called “The Barnes Yellow Streak.” I guess people think that educators have short memories. At least the cuts they are facing are because of the general economic health of the state and the nation. They understand that. The ones that I have talked with will never forget how Barnes treated them. Older teachers can have an impact on younger teachers that could affect their votes.

• ACCmoderate says:

You mean how he wanted teachers to be responsible for actually doing their jobs.

Its sad that I was smarter than some of my high school teachers… and that was in one of the “best” school systems in the state.

• polisavvy says:

Actually, the way I remember it, it was more about not allowing for tenure and ending social promotion (which still exists). Now, he’s giving the teachers the line that he won’t furlough and won’t cut days. Here’s the situation in reality terms: the state and the national economy is in the trenches. When Roy left office, he left Sonny with a $500M deficit in the rainy day fund. Sonny built that fund back up to $3B by 2007. Unfortunately, Sonny had to use all of this fund in 2007-2009, to keep from cutting education. At the same time, Sonny had to cut the rest of the state government from 25 to 50% (for the 30% under his control). Medicaid was not touched then, either. The cuts to education and medicaid are required by Georgia’s Constitution. Just think, had Roy not left the rainy day fund with NO MONEY, no cuts would be going on presently. Think about that.

So now, fast forward to the present, and he’s doing just like before. Feeding everyone a line of bull. What’s he going to start doing now? Telling those who question him to “shut up and sit down” like he did educators who would question his decisions while he was Governor? [I remember seeing the footage].

I haven’t heard him or Deal address next year’s budget a whole lot while they are stumping it. We are losing 3 billion in federal funds next year. In order to end furloughs, Barnes or Deal would have to find around another billion to even think about raises for the teachers. Add it up. That’s a whole lot of money they’d have to find. How are they going to do that? Wait, all is quiet on that front. I hope that they, and you, realize that next year they’ll be working with a more than likely Republican House and Senate. Do you really think the legislators are going to raise taxes by 6 billion dollars? What else do you think is going to be cut? Just something to ponder.

• Dave Bearse says:

Your entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. Georgia’s reserves increased each year from 1999 to 2001 when they were $1.5B. They were drawn down some in Barnes last year in office due to the economic downturn that followed 9/11.

Georgia ran deficits every year from 2003 to 2006, so a $3B rainy day fund in 2007 is fantasy. I don’t know what reserve levels are now, but I’d guess they are on the order of a couple of hundred million at best, basically “float” necessary in connection with day to day opetating expenses.

• TalmadgeGhost says:

Every Governor since Talmadge clears out that “fund” before they leave office. Harris did it, Miller did it, Roy did it, and Sonny will do it.

2. Chris says:

JACE!!!! This is the most important election EVAH!!!!

If we re-elect Barnes, it will be like going back to 1998. 9/11 WILL HAPPEN ALL OVER AGAIN!!!

Why do you hate America so much?

3. Progressive Dem says:

Well said.

Barnes shook things up and that was good for Georgia. The redistricting went way too far, but fortunately that was checked. He changed the flag, and that needed to be done. He told the teachers they would be accountable. He looked for a way around the transportation logjam at DOT. GRETA express busses out of Gwinnett and other counties have proved to be very popular and have reduced congestion. He recognized water was a big issue, and metro Atlanta is one of the few metropolitan regions that is actively reducing its water consumption while planning for new supplies. Barnes gave us visionary leadership. He didn’t sit on his hands and or just kick the can down the road. Deal has a very modest record, and was certainly never a major force in Congress. Barnes also swears that Bobby Khan won’t return.

• Rambler1414 says:

GRTA has accomplished nothing.
      XPress buses were implemented by Sonny, not Barnes… and even those are in financial trouble.

• Scott65 says:

It accomplished nothing because Sonny promptly GUTTED it soon after taking office. GRTA if left in tact would have solved many of the problems we face now in ATL as far as transportation goes

• Rambler1414 says:

How would GRTA have solved Metro Atlanta’s transportation problems, if they weren’t “gutted” by Sonny?

• Scott65 says:

GRTA was an agency that had veto power over any transportation projects funding . It would have streamlined planning and put one agency in charge of regional transportation planning…Sonny just made it into an express bus agency (like we needed another one)

• Rambler1414 says:

So by GRTA having “veto power” over funding, this would have helped Metro Atlanta’s transportation problems?

Which projects receive funding isn’t the problem. The actual FUNDING is the problem. Declining gas tax revenue (that was never adjusted to inflation), aging infrastructure, garvee bond debt payment, etc.

• Progressive Dem says:

The financial problems that exist with Express buses proves nothing. The entire State of Georgia is in finanical trouble. Ridership and customer satisfaction are both high. Express busses started operating out of Gwinnett in November 2001. Perdue wasn’t elected until a year later.

• Dave Bearse says:

Implemented by Sonny perhaps, but largely paid for by the feds. The federal money is running out. GRTA fares will either have to be increased dramatically, be subsidized by the counties or state, or end. I suppose the state could pony up say $10,000 of the millions needed so as to be relatively comparable to state support of MARTA.

4. Quaker says:

But wait, didn’t Sonny push a teacher merit pay bill that was beaten down by PAGE and GAE? And when that happened didn’t he orchestrate one of those surprise last-day substitutes that would have destroyed the dues check-off system and ruined not only PAGE and GAE but also every other union and professional organization in the state – just out of spite?

• Jace Walden says:

Sorry dude, I didn’t have a dog in your fight. Just trying to beat a dead horse that I’ve beaten a million times already:

No matter what Republicans threaten to do, when TheMan waves the bloody flag, the troops fall in line. Hence the sudden conversion to Dealslam from the once virulently anti-Deal.

• Lady Thinker says:

Don’t count on everyone backing Deal Jace because even with Barnes problems, many Republicans see more with Deal.

5. B Balz says:

Y’all wait until your father gets home! Keep posting all this post runoff, pro-Dem, pro-Barnes stuff and those guys out fishin’ are gonna put a whomp on your butts. I’m just sayin’…. (;>)

6. Exactly. For those of us not drinking the Kool-Aid, it’s hard to see the outrage. But hey, objectivity is not a virtue in politics.

I’m fairly young compared to some of you guys. I feel like the kid who heard about a cool party and got excited and went. Then when he got there, he realized it sucked. Stuck around for a few drinks hoping things would improve, but now is trying to make his way toward the door.

• polisavvy says:

Brunette — yes (thank God for Clairol). Young — not in age (56), but in mind (36). As for the keg? Well, back in the day, that would have been the case — brunette, young, in the corner by the keg!! LOL!! 😉 So, you are how young?

• ZazaPachulia says:

Buckhead, as another member of the under 30 PP crowd, I share your sentiment. Your cool party analogy pretty much sums up how I feel about the top two names on our statewide ticket. It’s a lonely sad day for the thinking GOP faithful when Johnny Isaakson is the shining star of the 2010 ticket.

• polisavvy says:

I fell out laughing over that comment. Hysterical!! 🙂 You mean you didn’t like the “Barnes Yellow Streak?” Personally, I thought it was the ugliest flag ever created. It kind of looked like it threw up all over itself OR that someone just couldn’t make a decision.

• ZazaPachulia says:

yes, he famously was. While the 01-03 flag was a disaster, Scott was on the right side of that debate. His reputation of doing the right thing — even when the right thing is unpopular among his friends — made him the lone bright star in the 2010 governor’s race… Of course, we all know how that turned out… It would be nice to see Scott unseat Marshall in the 8th, but I would have given a minor appendage to have Scott as our nominee instead of the Crook from Hall County. Hell, I would have been thrilled to see Austin take on the other crook from Hall County in the Lt. Gov. primary, but things never turn out perfect in real life (or politics).

• polisavvy says:

Your post was absolutely hysterically funny! Couldn’t help but laugh out loud — minor appendage! 🙂 And yes, the decision Scott made was not that popular but necessary nonetheless.

7. Romegaguy says:

I just keep waiting for the next “binder” to appear in a Peachpundit post that has proof of grave misdeeds that will bury Roy and is about to be released any day now…

8. Scott65 says:

I’ve yet to hear a good reason not to elect Roy Barnes that isn’t ad hominem, a lie, or selective memory. Thanks for calling it out…doesn’t matter if its a dog running…if its followed by an R some would still vote for it

• Monica says:

You’re right, it’s not and shouldn’t be shocking – that’s why we have those self-serving idiots in Washington, because people are more concerned with political affiliations than with following their common sense…

9. Doug Grammer says:

Gov. Barnes’ state financial disclosure report says he owned stock last year in five banks that received more than $34 billion in bailout loans.

BTW, I have voted for a few Dems in my life, I’m just not prone to do so.

• Progressive Dem says:

I guess we should blame Johnny, Saxby and Mitch McConnel for voting for TARP, a measure proposed by W, Paulson and Bernake.

• Romegaguy says:

Doug you supporting Isakson’s re-election efforts? I mean since he did vote for the bank bailout loans…

• Doug Grammer says:

I don’t agree with every vote (or action) my US Senators, My current and former congressmen, my state senator, and my state representative make. That being said, I probably agree with all of them about 80% of the time. I usually am not a one issue voter, nor do I make my decision on who to vote for based upon ONE vote that they have cast. An exception to that rule would be if I had a Dem for a congressman who voted for Dem for speaker, but cast most of there other voters correctly. I could still do better than someone who voted for Pelosi for Speaker. I do take a look at the voting record of all candidates on the ballot on issues that are important to me.

Nine times out of ten, I will vote for the GOP nominee. US Senator Johnny Isakson has my vote. I don’t cut of my nose to spite my face.

• oompaloompa says:

Dougie, I hope you don’t plan on running for Congress then b/c you will have a mail hit piece thrown on your for being a RINO.

• Doug Grammer says:

You’re too funny. I’d have fun with that. I don’t see that as a possibility in the next decade, but I might consider running for something. It would depend on timing, what office, and who else is interested.

• So do I, Doug. Not on that level of course. A lot of folks do. Until you find some Maxine Waters stuff, take this one off the table. In fact, you might want to sit out a few plays. You’re not helping.

• Doug Grammer says:

The Ninth just wrote checks for thousands of dollars to Congressman Deal, Com. Olens, and several other candidates, from State Representatives to BOE, over the Ninth with money that I helped raise. I think I’m helping and at this point, I really don’t care much about what you think. We voted more in the primary than any other District and more in the run-off than any other District. We also hosted the first GOP run-off debate. We have more in mind for this fall, but I’m not publishing a play book for all to read. If you are a GOP County Chairman or a GOP State Committee Member, call me and I’ll discuss.

I’m not going to put up with an anonymous poster telling me I’m not pulling my weight for the GOP.

• “Doug, meet my point. My point, meet Doug. I think you guys missed each other earlier”

I’m saying that is not a credible attack. I made no mention of your efforts to elect terrible candidates just b/c they have an (R) by their name.

And by the way…not so anonymous. Just click my moniker there in blue.

• Doug Grammer says:

I will give you 2 points for showing your real name. I will also subtract 5 because you don’t understand that the purpose of a political party is to elect it’s candidates. I’ll subtract another 5 because you don’t know all of the candidates we wrote checks to and assume that they are all terrible. That leaves you with a total of minus 8.

• What do you want me to say, Doug? You win? You win because you have no intellectual honesty? You win b/c you value winning over principle? I lose b/c I understand that not everyone who shows up on qualifying day is qualified for or deserves the office they’re seeking and therefore snub the whole unity mantra?

You win.

• Doug Grammer says:

How are the mushrooms? Seems like a nice trip.

Let’s talk about intellectual honesty. I say what I think. Just because you don’t agree with it, doesn’t make you right or me wrong. I approach politics in a pragmatic way. If a candidate doesn’t win, they can’t do anything about their principles in the legislature, because they aren’t there. I don’t go for the whole touchy – feely “at least we stuck to our principles but lost by 30 points” nonsense. You can be an idealist. I’ll be a pragmatist. Now let’s see whose candidates get elected, and let’s see who is willing to do more about it than the other. You and I are not in a contest as far as I’m concerned. You may not like the nominees running for any office, but crying about it won’t improve your choices. Be honest with that.

10. Monica says:

“It seems like a lot of GOP folks out there are just too scared to say they’re voting for Deal because he’s a Republican.” Ahm yeah, and what kind of Republican? He is everything that the Tea Party movement came out against – ethically corrupted, career politician, who’s taken office to make himself some cash – he is everything that is wrong with politics and everything that those “so called” conservatives have been shouting against for the past 2 years. And now they’re picking this “thing” as a governor to run their state. Amazing hypocrisy…

11. bowersville says:

There are those that have and will vote for Deal no matter what.

There are those that will vote for Barnes no matter what.

Then there are those that say they will hold their nose and vote for the candidate not of their first choice. Or they say they are voting against one or the other. When I hear these types voicing their opinion I think yes and the first series of mud slinging and you’ll find something else more important to do on election day. Like taking the trash out to the curb.

And of course you can’t leave out the undecided and I think, how can that be or are you just fibbing?

Plus when voters go to the booth in the general how do you know?

Then last there’s me and I’m not saying.

• Lady Thinker says:

There is one other category bowersville, those voting for evey race on the ticket EXCEPT the first two, governor and lt. governor.

• I think a lot of people who might initially consider skipping the Governor’s race will vote for John Monds, the Libertarian. If for no other reason, it helps get the Libertarian Party equal ballot access… breaking the monopoly that the Republicans and Democrats currently hold on it. If Monds gets 20% in this election the Libertarian Party will be considered an actual political party according to the state laws that were passed by the D’s and R’s. That means we’ll be able to run people for various offices all around the state without having to collect signatures.

• Scott65 says:

Then there are those of us that look at both candidates without regard to the R or D and try to chose the best candidate who will be best for Georgia

12. rightofcenter says:

You are a pretty pathetic bunch, if I do say so myself. A whiny, never-satisfied group of losers. We are against Barnes because we can remember his tenure as governor – and the King Rat video summed it up perfectly. In case you haven’t noticed, Roy Barnes is convinced that he’s the smartest guy in the room. Frankly, I appreciate a little humility and ability to work with others. If you really think that Barnes was as good as Perdue fiscally, you are crazy as a loon. And Republicans supporting Republicans – now there is a really startling concept. Nathan Deal won the Republican primary and is our nominee for governor. Naturally those who look at things through a conservative lens will be voting for the Republican. Anyone who will vote for Barnes because they think he’s basically as conservative as Deal probably voted for Obama using the same logic. To quote Ms. Palin: How’s that hopey changey thing workin’ out for ya?

• polisavvy says:

And to answer your question about the “hopey changey thing,” well, I don’t think it’s working out all that well for a lot of people who voted for him thinking that it would. I have had friends of mine say that they won’t make the same mistake twice.

• Progressive Dem says:

When they see that the GOP doesn’t have any new ideas except privatizing Social Security, they may return to their original choice.

13. oompaloompa says:

I think sometimes you guys get a little carried away with your theories and how you put the pieces to a puzzle together.

Just sayin…

14. Doug Grammer says:

The Georgia Supreme Court on June 12, 2007 unanimously dismissed a legal challenge to the state’s voter ID law. Former Gov. Roy Barnes, argued before the court that the voter ID law was unconstitutional because Ms. Lake the plaintiff and others did not have driver’s licenses and were therefore excluded in a discriminatory manner.

The state’s highest court said the only plaintiff in the case, Rosalind Lake, a first-time voter after moving to Georgia, had photo identification that would have qualified her to vote in July of last year, so she did not have legal standing to file suit.

• On a barely related note, I’ve heard that Roy is quite the sight to see in the court room. Tweed jacket with elbow patches, lots of Southern charm, and he turns up the drawl just a notch. He’s a “I de-clayah” and a cheap baby blue suit away from Andy Griffith.