Georgia Gang Live Blog 8/15/10

Comment using the console below or via Twitter using the hashtag #gagang

1. B Balz says:

After the primary runoff I chatted about the irony of the GOP Unity breakfast being held at posh 103 West, while thousands waited outdoors for a spot on a subsidized housing list. (Roy held a poll watch at ‘everymans’ Fox Bros BBQ.)

True, there was no reason for those people to have waited in the heat, why then? My personal opinion is that images like this will be replayed with an anti-GOP message, nationally. Those two restaurants provide an example of how this race may be framed – “Haves v. Have nots”

The issue should be about how to grow the ‘middle class’.

How did 30K people show up in East Point? More importantly, who organized, got the word out, to that many folks? What message was strong enough to get them to show up in that heat?

I think we are going to see ‘paid for and planned messaging’ to show the ‘have nots’ juxtaposed to an uncaring and elitist GOP.

What we should be worried about, and what both Jeff Dickerson and Phil Kent agreed upon, is protection for the middle class.

But then, who listens to an anonymous pundit?

• macho says:

Where was Obama’s fundraiser when he came to town for the Georgia event?

The real irony is Fox Brothers is the most expensive bar-b-que in town, and it’s doubtful you can order anything at Fox Brothers for less than what the GOP event cost.

There is no way the Dems would run any “haves and have nots” ad that you describe. They control the White House, Congress and HUD. Why would they call attention to their own monumental screw-up?

Anytime you’re offer free stuff, people tend to show-up.

• bowersville says:

Anytime you offer free stuff, people tend to show up.

Reminds me of Georgia Power showing up at the Gold Dome and Senate Bill 31.

Granted, quite a bit more cosmopolitan in the GaGop than Section 8’ers but the results are the same.

2. B Balz,

You obviously are not in tune with the modern day GOP, especially that outside of Cobb, Fulton, and Gwinnett. In many parts of Georgia, today’s GOP are the kids and grandkids of yesterday’s conservative Southern Democrats. See Herman Talmadge, III running for Henry County Commissioner as a Republican. Most Republicans I know are far from wealthy.

Someone did screw up, but I believe it was a local housing authority that made the mistake. It certainly can’t be blamed on Republicans or even infered that Republicans condoned the miscommunication that led to them camping out.

If anything, it’s a visual of the 30,000 people “saying give me some more of your money America, so I can get a better place to live or move out of my families house. Oh and by the way, I’m keeping my car, my cell phone, etc.” People are tired of the moocher class demanding a better life from the productive in society. That’s the message most see.

• B Balz says:

Hey luke,

Once again the power of communication fails me, as I have not made myself clear to you. The GOP didn’t screw up, the issue is how the Dems will use GOP hubris (We’re rich and we don’t care) to alienate the ‘squishy middle”.

My point, solely, is on the imagery of the GOP having its’ unity breakfast at a posh place while hundreds are camped out in a latter day Hooverville. That image is unhelpful, elitist, and frankly the wrong message.

As I see it the Dems want to take my money and give it to the ‘less fortunate’ and the GOP seeks to take my money and use it for corporate welfare. Both Parties lack balance, that is, making sure the middle class is not eliminated.

It is both preposterous and short sighted for me to think that the government is a better steward of my hard earned pay than I am. Therefore, either scheme, is a losing battle for me. And the Lib offer little.

As to the message that most see, that, my neighbor, is in the eye of the beholder. A Dem or a GOP viewer of a Michael Moore movie see two separate images. I have witnessed this phenomena.

“…Most Republicans I know are far from wealthy….” Always been, always will be.

• macho says:

Couldn’t agree with you more. The images of people complaining about the long lines while talking on their I-Phones was priceless.

• B Balz says:

Interesting twist on ‘sweets’ and free, y’all. So ya think 30K folks just came to this event? I heard only 40K people live in Eastpoint? Just seems contrived to me, that’s all.

Some of my Five-Oh buddies noticed now many ‘applicants’ seemed to be camera shy, looking away or hiding their faces as the camera panned.

3. Samuel says:

Dick Williams “mis-spoke” the truth this morning in his “winners-Losers” segment.

He called Michelle Obama a “loser” because “she and 40 of her closest friends went to Spain last week on our nickel.”

Truth is: Mrs. Obama took 3 of her closest friends and each paid/reimbursed the USAF for the equivalent first-class air fare charge and each paid for their own hotel accomodations.

Dick Williams knows this but he thought he could sneak in this “anti-Obama” lie.

Shame on Dick Williams. He owes his viewers a retraction and apology next Sunday morning.

4. bowersville says:

I just read the comments on the live blog, I don’t watch the program. I found this entry:

8:39am Buzz Brockway: Phil: Landmark poll says Deal 46, Barnes 41.

Does anyone have any information on when this poll was conducted? Was the poll after the GOP run-off?

5. Jane says:

It was conducted and it came out the same time as the Rasmussen poll. Only real difference was Landmark said 13% or so were undecided and Rasmussen said 3% or so were undecided. Honestly, I believe there are closer to 13% undecided than 3%, but that is me. We have a long way to go, and those who care little about primaries have not totally made up their minds yet.

• I’m not a professional poller, as is Rountree and the folks at Rassmussen, but I guess the undecideds in the General Election tend to be smaller as voters are now making a choice between two parties with what we hope are two very different philosophies, as opposed to Primary candidates of the same party with virtually the same goals.

The difference between the two (13 to 3) is a little odd.

6. Jane says:

My guess and it is only a guess is that Teachers who formerly did not like Barnes, but normaly voted Democrat are undecided and South Georgia Whites who only recently started voting GOP and do not know much about Deal are undecided. I think polls normally just quantify what we all ready know, Deal is ahead, the GOP has a measurable advantage even if it is small, but the race is far from over.

• bowersville says:

I read an AJC article over the week end that 5900 teachers lost their job leading into this school year. The young 30 year old female interviewed stated she understood that teaching for a profession was a secure job and salary. She lost her teaching job and she is now selling pest control contracts.

I also read a week or so ago that a 5,000 member teachers organization from Cobb went with Deal instead of with Handel as they were concerned about their jobs.

This mornings headlines are:

“Metro Foreclosures Sky Rocket…”
      “Despite Profits, Hiring doesn’t increase much…”

It’s not just teachers concerned about jobs.