Does This Give Carol Porter A New Talking Point?

If Deal and Cagle are both in office, it makes Hall County the center of the political universe in Georgia.

So does Carol Porter start pointing out we shouldn’t have both the Governor and Gov-Lite from the same county?

1. polisavvy says:

I guess she could. But, would it really be such a big deal with voters? People just want to have the best representing them. Do people really care where the candidates are from? Do people still feel disenfranchised when the two Republicans candidates are from the same area?

• Blog Goliard says:

“People just want to have the best representing them. Do people really care where the candidates are from?”

That’s generally true out West where I grew up. It may even be true in the more cosmopolitan areas of Georgia.

But elsewhere in the state? Take it from a fellow who has spent far too much of his life in the Deep South banging his head against the wall just trying to get people to give him a chance and a fair shake even though he’s not a native. (And it’s not just me…I’ve got no shortage of friends and acquaintances and relatives who have had the same experience.)

2. Pootah says:

I hope Erick is going to “move heaven and earth” to make sure Porter wins in November. Makes me feel a lot better about Cagle’s chances.

3. ACCmoderate says:

If Barnes wants to trumpet Deal’s alleged ethical misgivings, Cagle’s name is unfortunately all over that same report.

If he and Porter can paint them both as crooks, it gives voters one big narrative to focus on rather than two separate ones.

Then again, Carol Porter can just bust out whatever piece of dirty laundry it was that kept Casey out of the governor’s race.

4. redrock says:

I’m not sure why that would matter a whole hill of beans to Carol Porter.

Carol Porter after all wanted the “Governor and Gov-Lite” to snuggle up to each other in bed at night and watch Alf reruns. Fortunately her husband/wife duo plan has failed…

5. Gary Cooper says:

I don’t think she can make it a big deal given the fact that she wanted herself and her husband to be Gov. and Lt. Gov. together. I am sure Cagle will be glad to bring that up if she ever brought up the subject.

However, Erick may have a point with Hall County being the center of the universe. There may be some fickle, middle of the road voters in some metro counties who don’t want that to become reality and may vote against either one.

6. Tiberius says:

Most Georgians couldnt find Houston County on a map and Perdue won election twice. People dont think in terms of georgraphy like that.

In the good old days, states would have balance acts like that–have a LG from dow state and a Gov from the East, etc. Illinois would have 1 from dowwnstate, 1 from Chicago. It was generally understood that regional balance was needed.

Nowadays, that doesnt work. People think bigger picture. I blame TV and the decline of the samll town newspaper.

Once metro Atlanta voters realize Lake Lanier is nearly all in Hall and therefore Deal and Cagle understand water, they will be fine. Once they realize Hall County has schools, they will be fine. Once they realize Hall County has plumbing and electricty, they will be fine.

7. Goldwater Conservative says:

I despise both men, but I must say that I love the idea of special projects increasing my home values on Lanier.

• I’m okay with my property values staying low. That typically means my property taxes stay low. 🙂 (Okay, at least until it’s time to sell. I don’t have any plans to sell any property anytime soon, so I guess I’m okay for now.)

8. rightofcenter says:

“Despise”? Isn’t that a bit much? Unless you personally know both men on a deep level – then despise away.