Runoff Day Open Thread

One last chance for you sock puppets to tell us your candidate is God’s Chosen One and those who think differently are going to HELL! Also feel free to repeat the last minute endorsements your candidate received for those poor souls that may have missed all the robocalls, facebook status updates, or email blasts from last night.

UPDATE: I voted at 11:30 AM and was the 119th voter. 593 voted in my precinct on 7/20.

1. While I was standing in line cashing my “frequent blogger” check from the Deal campaign, God sent a messanger from Heaven to sit on my right soldier named Maurice Atkinson, who told me that Herman Cain had just announced his intention to vote for Nathan. He warned me of Karen’s association with guys who are obsessed with Lincoln gay conspiracy theories and that I should warn everyone I know less they be condemned to an eternity in the Lake of Fire.

2. NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

I can’t wait for today to be over so I can stop getting mailers for a few weeks.

The only thing worse than a hotly contested primary is a runoff. I am so glad I had the home phone turned off and avoided the constant robo-calls!

To all on both sides, good luck! The people I vote for usually lose, so I don’t get too worked up over the primaries and runoffs:)

3. Butch Conway seems to be the most powerful man in Gwinnett these days. I came home from work last night to find 17 robocalls on my answering machine (*), and over half of those were people were people claiming the sheriff’s endorsement. Are candidates simply afraid of trumped-up DUI charges, or is the guy REALLY that popular among voters?

(*) Hey Keith Shewbert, FOUR robocalls in a single evening? There is a special level of hell awaiting you, sir!

4. GOPGrassroots says:

Yesterday Steve Tarvin’s creepy banner ad disappeared.

Today Lee Hawkins political career will do the same.

5. polisavvy says:

I just hope that this race does not end up like the Governor’s race in Washington State in 2004. That was a disaster and quite costly.

6. polisavvy says:

Awful news about former Senator Ted Stevens — he has been involved in a plane crash in Alaska. Just terrible! They are reporting fatalities. Our prayers should be with his family. Also, apparently O’Keefe (of NASA) was aboard the same plane. Details are just breaking.

• ACCmoderate says:

Nope Karen or Nathan will have a whole new round of mud to sling at Roy Barnes.

Something tells me that Roy is hoping Karen makes it through. Democrats proved with Mark Taylor’s campaign against Sonny, that Georgian’s don’t have the desire nor the mental capacity to be that intrigued by complicated ethics violations.

• polisavvy says:

Yippee (said with great sarcasm). Can’t wait to see them (there again, said with great sarcasm). You are true about the whole ethics issues and Georgian’s attitudes. This should be a very interesting night. I wouldn’t bet the farm as to which candidate will win. It’s going to be close. I just hope it doesn’t end up in some protracted, drawn out conclusion like Washington State in ’04.

• NoTeabagging says:

Unfortunately, the illegally placed campaign signs will litter our public properties for many, many months.

• Tireless says:

Unfortunately that small gain will be offset by having to watch and read about the crook or the pathological liar as they try to beat King Roy in the fall. No matter who wins, the state of Georgia is screwed with one of these clowns becoming our next governor.

• polisavvy says:

Can’t he give us a couple of days reprieve for us all who are so weary of all the negative attack ads? LOL! 🙂

• Andre says:

Nope.

Barnes going on the attack before a GOP gubernatorial nominee emerges makes me wonder when, and if, the state Republican Party will unleash its $2.5 million war chest on Barnes.

• polisavvy says:

Darn! I understand his approach and all that. I’m just weary of political ads in general. It will be interesting to see when and how the state Republican Party is going to counter Barnes.

• ACCmoderate says:

Does anyone think the IPad might be a little too out of touch for Joe Voter?

Roy’s line of attack is pretty clear: Things in Georgia aren’t working because of failed leadership at the state level.

I’m not sure what the GAGOP will trot out, but given the nature of the primary it’ll probably have to do with Mexicans that are on a baby aborting rampage.

• ZazaPachulia says:

Vegas odds on Barnes’ photo appearing this fall in a GOP ad side by side with Sadam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden: 7 to 1

7. Empty Podium says:

I just watched a bit of a video of palin @ handel’s GOTV rally – http://www.examiner.com/x-1349-Atlanta-Political-Buzz-Examiner~y2010m8d9-Closers-brought-in-for-last-day-of-runoff

After listening to part of that video, it is very apparent to me that not much has changed with Palin – she’s still an “empty podium”, shrill, not very genuine.

So if this run off is really a litmus test for the 2012 GOP ticket, then I’m voting for Deal, because at least his endorsers have something to talk about other than 1) Reid/pelosi/Obama 2)your kids 3) Alaska (which no one cares about) 4)rinse and repeat.

Plus, Handel really doesn’t give me much to go on, besides the fact that she’s not Barnes or Deal. Fail.

• Empty Podium says:

So you spoke to both of them? In my experience, only local politicians are worth a damn face to face if you’re a voter. Otherwise, I’m interested in working witht them if I’m a vendor or involved in policy.

8. chefdavid says:

Looks like today #gagov is tweeting more for @KarenHandel than for @VoteDeal . #GA9 seems to be all @tomgravesGA9 .

I wonder what the cost per vote will be. We have a wopping 5 votes to cast on the ballot in Dade.

9. BuckheadConservative says:

Handel and Deal are the kids in the back seat bickering over gay marriage, and Roy is having an adult conversation with the voters in the front of the car.

10. Doug Grammer says:

I’m tired of it. I am going to tell all…today I ask you to join me in voting for the following people in Georgia. They have my full support. For Gov. please vote for…hold on…. the phone is ringing.

11. Just received this e-mail…

Today, I found out about a forum being held tomorrow morning by the Georgia Partnership for Excellence in Education at Georgia Tech’s Research Institution Conference Center. The organizers of the event decided that the people of Georgia only needed to hear from the “major candidates,” but they failed to provide qualifications for what constitutes a “major candidate,” and they excluded my friend, Kira Willis, who is a qualified candidate for the office of State School Superintendent.

The help I need is dependent upon your ability to participate.

Ultimately, I would like to see all of you take part in all three of the following, but I’m happy if you’re able to at least one of these three.

Tomorrow morning at 9:30 AM, Kira Willis and I will arrive at the venue for the forum with banners and signs for her campaign to distribute to supporters who join us. We will be attending the forum as audience members to raise those signs and banners during the responses given by the panel of two candidates, John Barge and Joe Martin. We will remain silent in our protest of Kira’s exclusion, allowing her to garner the spotlight with regard to media and forum attendees, rather than be a distracting spectacle. If you plan on attending, please do one of two things to “register:”

Call 404-233-2280 or e-mail [email protected] & [email protected]

Just call saying that you’d like to “register” to attend the forum.

If you cannot attend, I understand. The public forum was scheduled at a time that most people cannot attend, as they have to work. If you cannot join us, please e-mail [email protected] & [email protected] the following:

“Ms. Ford & Mr. Maddox,

I am writing to inquire whether State School Superintendent candidate, Kira Willis, will be included in Wednesday’s forum. If she will not be included, can you explain by the Georgia Partnership for Excellence in Education decided to exclude her, and only her?

Mrs. Willis qualified for office on June 29th, per state law, and she WILL be on the General Election ballot on November 2nd. It is my understanding that you extended invitations to this event to candidates that will not be on the ballot in November, after losing in the primaries on July 20th.

and sign it as you see fit. Please feel free to change up the language a bit, but remain brief, cool, and informed.

Call Alice Ford at 404-233-2280 to ask the same thing as above.

12. Looks like my last comment went into moderation. Anyone have any idea why Kira Willis is being excluded from tomorrow’s Georgia Partnership for Excellence in Education event? Their website says they’re non-partisan, but they’re only including the Republican and Democratic candidates… hrmm…

13. TPNoGa says:

I am going to be so happy that this is over. Now maybe, just maybe, we can back to hating Democrats like God intended. 🙂

• Doug Grammer says:

We worked on voter turn out. I’m not sure 18% is accurate for early and absentees votes , but I’d be surprised if we weren’t first. (And people say I’m lazy…that’s a joke.) The run off for congress helped a good bit, and we take a lot of pride in being a strong Republican District. There are many people in the Ninth that worked on turn out, not just for Congressman Deal and Sec. Handel, but also for Sen. Hawkins and Congressman Graves. It was team effort and I am glad to be part of it.

We voted 78,532 on July 20 and 75,830 on August 10th. (These are the congressional office numbers) It looks like we voted about 13% of the total state votes.

14. Ambernappe says:

Since this is an open thread, I would like to expres my thanks to former Secretay of State Karen Handel and current SoS Kemp for the excellent electronic voting system that has been implemented in Georgia. It appears to me that the only way of interfering with results would be an extreme high tech glitch. No need to discuss what I have learned, the enemy is often ahead by one or two steps, but there is no doubt that what I have read re: the ineffiency of the new system has been written only to frighten the voters!

15. View from Brookhaven says:

I voted in Atlanta this morning. I took my mother to vote in Macon mid-afternoon.

At both locations, poll workers outnumbered voters easily.

16. ZazaPachulia says:

Feeling lousy about our choices in some of these races (including the big one at the top of the ticket), I dealt with my election day blues by participating in a fantasy football draft. I picked Michael “The Burner” Turner and Ryan Grant in the first two rounds. I also snagged Roddy White, Phillip Rivers and Steve Smith (the Carolina version)… I’m feeling pretty good about my team (named ‘The Crystal Chandeliers’ after my beloved Falcons’ lone Super Bowl QB)… So at least I’ve got that going for me…

• polisavvy says:

I have found solitude knowing that college football season begins in a little over three weeks. Can’t wait for football Saturdays and College GameDay!! 🙂

17. slyram says:

“Yes, she’s a sista. [But] we’re endorsing Karen because she is the best candidate for Georgia.” That’s what Palin said about Handel. Can those of us born in 1964 understand that we are not hip anymore…knowwhatIamsaying, son.