The Palin Rally

I did not get to the Palin Rally today — too much to do at home.

I’m being told by the Handel campaign that there were more than 2000 people present, which necessitated a spill over room for the crowd.

I’m also told that Palin delivered a pretty hard punch to Georgia Right to Life, without using their name, calling GRTL’s use of Trig Palin “despicable”.

All in all, everyone says she hit it out of the park. No telling if it’ll actually help boost turn out.

1. TidePrideGA says:

I’m horrible at estimating crowd sizes but I was there and I’m pretty sure there was no spill over room. There was still some room in the main room although it was probably 80% full.

The GRTL comment is definitely true – she also said that’s why she came here to speak, which I thought was a little odd.

I don’t really have a horse in this race and in fact am not 100% sure who I’m voting for tomorrow, but I definitely got more of an “I know the candidate and truly believe in the candidate” feeling from Huckabee yesterday.

But then I don’t “get” the whole Palin love thing. She leaves me cold. Maybe that’s just me.

• “Why did you go to the rally if you don’t support Handel and don’t like Palin?”

Did you miss the part where TidePride said he/she is still not sure who they’re voting for tomorrow? Sounds to me like they were there trying to decide. Of course, that’s just my take.

• Provocateur says:

David,

PLEASE do not introduce commonsense to this blog. It just destroys the flow.

Any moment now, one of the moderators will get on here and accuse all non-Handel believers of being “sock puppets” and being “paid by Deal to blog.”

• TPNoGa says:

David,

I guess I am a little cynical on these boards these days. On another site (Redstate), in the comments section, there was a comment by a person claiming to support Handel. Yet in their post, they said they only needed to answer a couple issues about Karen. The person then listed the talking points used by Deal supporters against Handel. So, I am leary of “supporters” of candidates that only seem to list the arguments against their supposed cadidiate.

Also, if you are undecided at this point, you must not be very interested in the election. I can’t imagine actually fighting a crowd to attend a rally for someone I wasn’t sure I would support and listen to someone I didn’t like. It just seems odd to me. Maybe it’s me, but I was curious.

• TidePrideGA says:

We’re still talking about me, right? I’m confused…

There are several mistaken assumptions in your post, TPN. First, you’re leary of “supporters”. I’m not a “supporter” of either of these candidates. The candidate I supported didn’t make the runoff.

Second, I don’t think I listed the arguments against either candidate. My only qualitative comments went to Huckabee and Palin – not Deal and Handel. I *am* capable of telling the difference. No one’s endorsement for any candidate has ever caused me to support that candidate. Odd as it may seem, I do the research, meet the candidates and decide for myself based on the available information.

Third, and I really don’t know what to do with this one. “If you are undecided at this point, you must not be very interested in the election”. I just stated that I am undecided. I just stated I went to both rallies. I live in Gwinnett, so not “convenient” to either one. This illustrates my disinterest? Please forgive my lack of perception, but I’m just not making that particular logic connection.

So the bottom line is that my answer to your initial question “Why did you go to the rally if you don’t support Handel and don’t like Palin?” is… interest in this election.

• TidePrideGA says:

Eh, if I do like I usually do when I’m undecided I’ll make my decision as my finger reaches for the screen – sometimes I quite surprise myself.

• Lady Thinker says:

I can understand your post TPGA. Correct me if I am wrong, but you had a candidate picked out for governor and voted for that person. Your candidate did not win, so you have only had three weeks to research the two left in order to make up your mind.

Taking your time makes sense to me. When I was researching the candidates, it took me over a month. This is not the type of decision one makes rashly. I think you did a good thing taking your time and I commend you for doing so.

• TidePrideGA says:

Thanks for your understanding, LT. You don’t have it exactly right, though – it’s not really a matter of researching them. I’ve been on the campaign trail with them for over a year and I’m an OCD detailed person – I pay a LOT of attention to the details of what goes on around me. My problem lies in that I’m not truly comfortable with either and am at this point trying to decide between the lesser of evils as it were.

I’ve been in politics long enough to know that most mud slung was really just a little smudge or worse made up of whole cloth, and that there are many sham manipulative organizations out there who make up official sounding names and “investigate” people so I take all that with a grain of salt, but there’s something about the Deal deals with the State that pings my “danger Will Robinson” radar. On the other hand, the feeling I most often get with Ms. Handel is that the lights are on, but no one’s really living there. The “I base my beliefs on what you want me to believe” thing.

I could be way off on both – very well could be – but at the end of the day we all vote on our own perceptions and my perception is that I’m choosing between a guy who will do a pretty good job of governing – and a pretty good job of playing the angles of governing vs. an empty suit who’ll blow with the wind. Corruption versus lack of conviction. That’s my conundrum. And to be honest the result of the two rallies was that I feel at least slightly more that I can trust Mr. Deal and at least slightly less that there’s substance to Ms. Handel. So there’s that.

Again, I’ll probably decide standing in the poll with my finger on the screen.

• “Also, if you are undecided at this point, you must not be very interested in the election.”

I wouldn’t quite go so far as to say that. I’m undecided still. In fact, I’m undecided as to whether to even bother showing up to the polls later today. Do I vote for “one of the most corrupt congressmen in DC” who hates gays and has a no-bid contract with the state? Or do I vote for the one who hates gays (sometimes – mostly when it’s politically convenient) and has been less than truthful about it and primarily run a negative campaign and doesn’t seem to really ever answer the question that was asked at a debate with anything other than a vague answer?

If we were choosing between a great candidate and a bad candidate, the choice would be easy. But at this point I feel like the pastor in Warner Robins trying to choose whether he thinks the mascot should be the Demons or the Devils.

• In The Arena says:

Look at the picture again before you try and divert. That woman holding a Palin mannequin is one of the creepiest things I have seen in a while.

But on the mannequin’s behalf, the mannequin has a much better grip on the water and transportation issues here in Georgia than Handel does.

• macho says:

Let’s see here – Lake Lanier is Army Corps and its water level is a Federal issue. Which Representative has Lake Lanier in his district, representing it in Congress, and what has he accomplished on the issue…crickets chirping.

• Lady Thinker says:

EXCELLENT QUESTION. Let’s see, Lake Lanier touches the following counties: Dawson, Forsyth, Gwinnett, Hall, Lumpkin. And Deal represented Dawson, Forsyth, Hall, and Lumpkin, Linder represented Gwinnett. Did I miss any counties?

• Provocateur says:

It is up to the local municipalities to contact their congressmen about a local issue, not the other way around.

Besides all that, it is the region known as metro-Atlanta that is impacted by the federally-controlled Lake Lanier…and WHOSE brilliant management has that process been controlled by? Governor Sonny Perdue.

• In The Arena says:

I am almost spit my coffee on my keyboard. Is Lady Thinker discussing an actual issue??!

Welcome to the party Kyle, its been too long.

2. Doug Grammer says:

I am one of the few people in the state to see Gov. Huckabee for Congressman Deal and Gov. Palin for Sec. Handel.

For Atlanta, there was no crowd in the hallway for spillover, but they were prepared for it with big screen TV’s with video of the main room. I would guess that the Atlanta crowd was about 10% to 20% larger than the Gainesville crowd. They were much more well dressed. That could the difference between a posh hotel on Monday at lunchtime and a convention center on a Sunday afternoon. One is easier to get to than the other. Gov. Palin did talk about a momma grizzly protecting her cub and said that GRTL, not by name, talking about her child would be a good way to get her too come to Georgia. Gov. Huckabee talked about how well he knew Congressman Deal and the number of times they have worked together. I enjoyed both speeches. I will give credit to Gov. Palin for staying afterward, shaking hands, signing autographs, and having pics made.

• In The Arena says:

Specifically, Gov. Huckabee talked about how Deal worked tirelessly to help he and the rest of the National Governors Association keep Medicaid from bankrupting the states.

$20 Billion. Not quite ObamaBucks but nothing to sneeze at either.

• TidePrideGA says:

“I will give credit to Gov. Palin for staying afterward, shaking hands, signing autographs, and having pics made.”

I give credit to Gov. Palin for that as well. Gov. Huckabee could have been produced by an illusionist – he appeared on the stage then disappeared.

• ACCmoderate says:

Gov. Huckabee isn’t trying to plug any products. Sarah knows that taking photos and signing autographs improves her brand and improves her cash flow.

3. Goldwater Conservative says:

Which one is Trig?

Is that the kid that Palin carries around to get sympathy and votes or is that the illegitimate child of Palin’s daughter?

4. REDCLAY says:

Erick, you didnt even have the cajones to show up….your branded it would not have hurt your “book sales”….haha…by the way Ididnt think PALIN was in the race ….you guys kill me….loving it!