“The Gays” and NASCAR

Atlanta is losing one of it’s two NASCAR Sprint cup races next year.

Try not to panic. I won’t. I doesn’t directly affect me much.

Again, in the interest of time, I’ll try to be brief.

Atlanta Motor Speedway losing a major race is going to affect many more Georgians that what a federal judge did yesterday in California.

We can have high minded discussions all day long about the role of the federal judiciary, states rights, the will of the people, etc. But we know that’s not the real reason that ruling is an immediate issue in the Governor’s race.

While I’m not the biggest NASCAR fan (a three hour left turn on a Sunday afternoon? Best naps ever.), I appreciate the economic impact that race brings to the state. In this economy, where we need to attract jobs, where we need to protect a tax base, we are talking about things that don’t affect most of us, using those it does affect as pawns in our little game.

Nascar’s snubbing Atlanta in the Spring. That ain’t right neither.

1. drjay says:

so is the this the fault of “teh gays” as well, are you saying that not only are they attacking people’s marriages but they are attacking our nascar as well.

• drjay says:

incidently, when we first moved to augusta, we were renting a house near the mall and one of our neighbors was a good ole boy that was into racing, he raced an old t-bird at the local 1/2 mile dirt track and wore various articles of clothing with mark martin on it and such–he invited us over one sunday to watch the race and eat grilled venison, and said what i thought was one of the funniest things i had ever heard to his daughter–she was about 4 and was getting a little rambunctious, and he grabbed her by her shirt and looked her right in the eye, all serious and pissed parent sounding and said “you don’t want me to send you to your room on race day, do you?”

i realize just reading it right now it doesn’t seem funny, but tricia and i still laugh about it to this day…

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

That was laugh out loud funny. I picture this guy looking and sounding like Cousin Eddie in National Lampoon’s Vacation.

2. B Balz says:

Icarus,

Do yourself a favor and goto Hampton once. It will change your view on NASCAR forever. You have to get a hotpass, that is where the action is–If you like pretty ladies, fast cars, and many other amazing sights. (Like the bigtime fans and all their rigs.)

I think you lost the race for Ms. Handel by putting a smack down on NASCAR, BTW. Folks are funny about their racin’ (:>)

I’m just saying’………..

• ZazaPachulia says:

The hot pass is an experience, no doubt. But it’s also fun to pack in your own cooler of beer, rent a scanner, bring some binoculars and sit way high up in the grandstands. If you wear your Ward Burton t-shirt, the diehards will think you’re one of them and then its even more fun.

I’ve had the hot pass in Hampton, but the best NASCAR experience I’ve ever had is the July night race in Daytona.

3. I THINK Charlie is trying to make a pro-Handel point somewhere in this, but it was a little rushed and he didn’t close the circle. I don’t really see the connection between gay marriage and the Atlanta Sprint Cup race… or even a particularly ironic “lack-of-connection” for that matter.

Does anyone know what the deal was? As is typical with the modern media, the linked story throws out a bunch of facts but doesn’t really tell you anything. I know that Atlanta Motor Speedway is an older track and is due for renovation… but Georgia is a pretty huge NASCAR market, so I’m amazed that Atlanta got cut in favor of some of the smaller tracks on the circuit.

• Icarus says:

My point, vague as it may be, is in Dr. Jay’s second post above.

Which of these two issues are going to affect Bubba and his 4-year old daughter above?

And in reality, which one are they most likely to be really upset about?

Primary politics is silly, and runoff politics is even worse. It’s a small field of voters that will show up Tuesday, perhaps as little as 9% of those registered. Both candidates are using those not likely to show up and/or select a Republican ballot on Tuesday to motivate the 9% that will show.

In doing so, they’re ignoring issues that the larger numbers of folks are going to care about in Novemember. And turning off a number that may seem small now, but may seem significant if this is a close race when the weather turns cool.

• Jace Walden says:

You should tell Karen that, Charlie. She’s the one who decided to interject gay marriage into the election again.

• bowersville says:

I’m going to have to disagree on that. What OUTED the gay marriage issue was the Handel campaign dragging it’s feet over several percieved mis-cues when challenged by other campaigns as to her campaign rhetoric v. her Fulton Commission vote.

I saw the “again” but once the above occurred, what’s in is in to the dirty end.

Now notice the immediate above sentence and look closely at the wording following the comma. Had I written that sentence 3o-45 days pre-primary the gay bashing would have started immediately and become extremely viciuos.

IMHO, the Deal folks very cleverly changed the gay bashing as witnessed on this blog into a question of integrety on Handel.

Just saying…..

• ZazaPachulia says:

“I wish the candidates were talking more about economic impact issues and less about activist California federal judges.”

Anybody visited Carol Porter’s web site / facebook page lately (or ever?)

Eric Johnson talked jobs, jobs, jobs and he made up a lot of ground…

• polisavvy says:

I’m just plain sick and tired of this whole primary and runoff mess. It has become so nasty, childish, and petty. Thank God there will be a little reprieve beginning next Wednesday.

• analogkid says:

You’re better off if you just try to find amusement in it. In 2011, we will spend our time complaining about those who were elected in 2010, and in 2012 we will be back to election year silliness.

• polisavvy says:

Unfortunately, we won’t even get all of 11 without this stuff. I’m sure that next fall we’ll have all sorts of people throwing their hats in the ring for the 2012 President election. As far as amusement, well, I’ll never find amusement in people who are wanting to represent me behaving like some of the candidates have behaved. I try, but I just can’t find the humor in it.

4. NoTeabagging says:

In the South, our priorities are Tailgate Parties and Grill, Baby, Grill!…not Tea Parties and Drill, Baby, Drill.

5. GaConservative23 says:

HUCKABEE ENDORSES DEAL

Sorry, I know this is a thread jack, but you guys don’t have a front page posting yet.

6. AubieTurtle says:

NASCAR’s popularity has pretty much crashed. I think attendance at the races is down by 50%. Much of that is due to the economy but I think some of it is also that NASCAR enjoyed a few years as a minor mainstream fad and is losing those casual fans who got bored with it as they always do with fads. The hardcore fans will be back when they can afford to but I suspect that the overall number of races is going to have to decrease to reflect the smaller fan base. At least Atlanta still has one race. We may have also dodged a bullet with the NASCAR Hall of Fame. They wanted lots and lots of public money and I’m not sure it would have been worth it, even had the larger fan base stuck around. The College Football Hall of Fame probably wouldn’t have even been on the radar had the city and state tied themselves up with the NASCAR HOF.

As far as the gay issue goes, it’s amazing that it has become the central focus of this portion of the campaign. After spending weeks trying to decide between the two, last night I went to bed having made the decision to vote for Karen Handel. But today’s events have pushed me not into the Deal column nor back into being undecided but into hand sitting territory. I simply can’t vote for either one them.

• B Balz says:

Spot-on with NASCAR, the crowd was way down last year. Tickets were being given away.

It’s this economy. Let’s not get started on that….

A lot of folks who have been here for awhile, whose opinions I value, yours included, are taking apathy seriously. I don’t get it.