Unconventional Wisdom

O.K., looks like I’m not the only contributor who’s been tied up all day. I’ll still be scarce through tomorrow, so you can connect the dots here in lieu of my usual elaborate commentary:

Jan Jones, of Milton Fulton County, is doing robo-calls for Nathan Deal.

This is House Speaker pro tem Jan Jones calling for Nathan Deal for governor. As Georgia’s highest-ranking female legislator….It’s not about gender. It’s about leadership.

The “highest ranking female legislator” wants you to know it’s not about gender. I see what you did right there…

But I digress. The real point here is that Jones is from metro-Atlanta, and more specifically, Handel’s own county.

Yet in more rural parts of the State, or at least the parts that aren’t Atlanta, we have these tidbits:

Senator-elect Josh McKoon and former Columbus Mayor Bob Poyadesheff have endorsed Handel.

Further south, The Albany Herald – who previously endorsed Eric Johnson – has endorsed Karen Handel.

We’ve seen and read many articles (some of them here) that this is a race between rural Georgia and Atlanta. That there’s a gender gap with women voters preferring Handel while men prefer Deal. There’s not.

This is just a good old fashioned battle within the Republican party.

1. “This is just a good old fashioned battle within the Republican party.”

Obviously!

karenhandel sick and tired of liberal judges subverting the will of the people to push their left wing agenda. http://bit.ly/bcEymB #gapolitics

votedeal will ban taxpayer funding of abortion.http://tinyurl.com/2fpfdxs

Actually, using “will of the people” and “ban”… also makes them sound a lot like Democratic party candidates…

Won’t be long now before everyone will get to hear from the only candidate for Governor that uses words like “Constitutionally Protected Individual’s and State’s Rights,” “Limited Government” and “Economic and Personal Freedom” and really mean it.

• Kellie says:

BTW – I am a REAL woman. Maybe not as much of a conservative as some of you’d like but I have voted in every GOP primary since 1988.

2. NonPartisanGA says:

Jan Jones AKA “fall on my sword for Milton County” just continues look for significance. She continues to affirm the adage that “a fool opens [her] mouth and removes all doubt.”

3. Agreed that there’s no significant gender gap. There may not be a big rural-urban split precisely, however

Landmark’s poll data show Handel doing very well across the majority of congressional districts, but Deal got higher numbers in the 7th and 9th districts. In the primary, both 7 & 9 had over 70,000 Republican voters, and as we know those districts are having runoffs. In the two other districts with Republican runoffs, the 12th and 13th, where Handel has the advantage, there were only about 25,000 Republican primary voters.

Deal appears to be doing fairly well in locations that are somewhat likelier to have higher turnout.

4. Doug Deal says:

This race has nothing to do about gender, it has everything to so with something much more clear cut.

1) Someone who will use the power of their office to first recieve special priveldges under the law and then use the power of an even higher office to arrange to extend those benefits in violation of Federal ethics laws.

2) Someone who didn’t.

Let the Democrats elect the crooks.

Deal.
    Done.

• debbie0040 says:

I don’t believe for a minute that Karen will allow Sonny Perdue to tell her what to do. I also recall that former Perdue were working for political campaigns that were not Karen’s.

You guys are desparate and just throwing stuff on the wall and hope they stick. They apparently are not.

Many of the accusations were thrown at Karen when she ran for Secretary of State.

I also keep hearing Deal supporters complain about the negative campaigning. I guess they don’t count the really nasty and shrill things Deal’s surrogates have said about Karen.

• AnyoneElse2010 says:

You have no idea what the ethics complaint entails do you. You do realize that the program was discontinued and Congressman Deal received no benefits from the State because the payment was made by the applicant requesting the inspection. You do also know that this was a no contract agreement between his company and the State so either could have backed out at anytime. I understand that you like Handel, but if you are going to talk please do so by using facts and not talking points handed out by the the “Handel Hates Everybody” convention.

• Capt. Jack Sparrow says:

That’s the problem. The state government wanted to discontinue the program and no-bid contract that Nathan Steal had made millons from. So, MY employees (Nathan Steal and his Chief of Staff) started using MY work equipment, MY office, MY time, etc to try and save their ill-gotten gains. The reason I used “MY” is because I’m a taxpayer and I pay their salaries. At the same time they have “additional” side jobs!

Congress Sucks! Nathan Steal and his buddy Charlie Rangel are examples of how an awful organization has even worse within its ranks. No wonder the other thieves (ie congressmen) are supporting him. Ever heard of the phrase “thick as thieves?”

The FACTS are the US Attorney has empaneled a Grand Jury and they are looking into this shady DEALing. Documents are being subpoenaed, witnesses are testifying, and the courts will make the final decision. However, the woeful House Ethics committee (who only acts if forced to by the level of outrage) found Nathan Steal in violation of SEVERAL rules and reccomended further action. But ole Nathan skipped out of town fast before the Sheriff could catch him – and caused the counties in his district to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to replace him. All so he could get away from his ethics charges.

Real. Hypocritical. Deal.

• Ambernappe says:

Based on your comments, please explain the exact trail of money involved in the arrangement with Representative Deal.

• GOPwits says:

Deal is done. Georgia will never elect someone who is under investigation by a federal grand jury to be the party nominee.

All these people whining about the attacks and what not must be giving Deal a pass for his lies and massive negative campaign against Karen during the runoff? It’s like a complete double standard. Sad, just sad.

• Capt. Jack Sparrow says:

I get so cracked up by the flamers that think they are in the closet.

Forget your little GOP position. Grow a set. And just admit you are for Nathan Steal.

• Doug Grammer says:

I’m just pointing out you make stupid untrue comments. The bad part is that you do this knowingly and complain of OTHER peoples ethics. What about your own?

If you simply said he was investigated and left before the process was finished, that would be a true statement. (and I wouldn’t say a word about it.) However you intentionally and purposely lie about it. I’ve corrected you several times.

“found Nathan Steal in violation of SEVERAL rules and reccomended further action”

Here is you chance to man up and prove your point. Please show us where he was found in violation. The conclusions are on page 22. I predict silence.

• Capt. Jack Sparrow says:

“The Office of Congressional Ethics on Monday made six allegations that Deal, a Republican candidate for governor, violated House and federal government ethics rules in a report that also raises questions about attempts by Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle to influence officials at the state Department of Revenue.”

The full article can be found here:

Recently, it came to light that there is enough “in question” to warrant the US Attorney’s Office to present evidence to a Grand Jury. I’m not on the GJ and I think their discussions are secret. But, if there is enough evidence to prosecute, they will do so.

I’m not going to continue to comment back and forth with you because of some good advice: If you get in the mud with a pig, you get dirty and the pig likes it.

• Doug Grammer says:

You can cease to argue with me because I keep point out that you have trouble with the FACTS such as Congressman Rangel and Congresswoman Waters did not have their reports referred by the OCE at the same time as Congressman Deal’s report was referred.

You said: “found Nathan Steal in violation of SEVERAL rules and recommended further action”
                I give a link to the actual report with the actual conclusions and you give a link to an AJC story. I tell you where to look (page 22) for the actual conclusions to prove you allegation. Going to your AJC story, the first sentence of your paragraph uses the word “accused.” the first word of the second paragraph uses the word “allegations.” Your link FAILS to prove any violations. Even if it said that he was in volition of house rules, and it doesn’t, the actual report does not. If you want me to stop pointing out that you have problems with facts and the truth, why don’t you just post facts or the truth? You could at least state “that in your opinion…such and such,” but your apparent lack of personal ethics seems to point out that it’s OK to lie to promote your candidate

• AnyoneElse2010 says:

Except that it has already been stated that Deal is not the focus of the investigation. I know these are little facts, but they are facts.

• Romegaguy says:

Deal’s folks are the ones that stated he isnt the focus of the investigation. I dont think they would actually admit that he is the one under investigation

• Capt. Jack Sparrow says:

Today. After the evidence is reviewed the one responsible is usually the one that gets charged. Unless the one responsible get a high-level gubernmnt job and can’t be touched.

No wonder he’s running…

• GOPwits says:

That is actually false AnyoneElse2010. Deal’s attorney has said he’s not the focus of the investigation. The US Attorney’s office hasn’t said anything.

If you will recall, stating that you’re not the target of the investigation is classic corrupt politician talk similar to Charles Walker, Charlie Rangel, etc…

5. fishtail says:

A vote for Karen Handel is a vote for Sonny Perdue….that’s the perception, hope it’s not the reality if she is elected.

6. Pine Knot says:

As Eric’s, John’s, and Nathan’s campaign said, “Sarah Palin endorsed the most liberal Republican in this race.”

7. AubieTurtle says:

Funny, each endorsement makes me like the candidates less.

They both make me feel… meh.

Or to quote the Bible:
    So then because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew you out of my mouth.
    Revelation 3:16

8. James Fannin says:

The lobbyists and the legislators in Alaska weren’t all that happy with Governor Sarah Palin and few endorsed her. But when McCain selected her as his VP, she was the most popular governor in the entire country based on her approval ratings in Alaska. Like Karen Handel, she overwhelmingly received the endorsements that mattered – the endorsements cast in the form of a ballot by the voters. And on the 20th of July, Handel had a whole lot more of those endorsements than Nathan Deal which is why he is trotting out every business as usual politician he can find in hopes of maintaining the status quo under the Gold Dome.

For her part, Jan Jones wants us all to know she is the Real Deal queen bee in North Fulton and she also wants you to know that she alone knows what’s best for North Fulton despite the fact that more than 75 percent of her constituents support Karen Handel. She also apparently wants you to know that she strongly endorses “no bid” contracts and enriching oneself through public service. Hopefully some good Republican who believes ethics matter and who respects the views of the voters will step forward and challenge her in the next election next election. She’s clearly out of step. A good slogan might be “Jan Jones is a bad Deal for North Fulton”

• AnyoneElse2010 says:

Or it could be that Handel insulted every single legislator underneath the Gold Dome. Many of which are good people who are in Atlanta 3 months out of the year and then have to provide for their family the other 9 months. Of course it would just be to easy to look at the common sense answer.

• GOPwits says:

Agreed. I’m very concerned about the type of corruption that these State House and Senators are endorsing. It doesn’t seem very conservative to me.

I mean, seriously, how many of them have business arrangements with the state they are trying to protect?

Jan Jones has just demonstrated that she would rather support a corrupt ethically challenged former Member of Congress under the scrutiny of a federal grand jury than a true lifelong conservative republican. I wonder who has trouble getting along with others? Looks like it’s Jan Jones to me.

9. Progressive Dem says:

“This is just a good old fashioned battle within the Republican party. ”

Is this battle “good” for Republicans?

“old fashioned”? Please refresh my memory of when Republicans ever had this kind of nasty battle before in Georgia?

Most of the nasty lays at Handel’s doorstep. Has there ever been a statewide candidate with more animosity for her own party rivals? Not many people admire candidates that bring out the worst in people. Her mean, angry style has to wear down her favorables.

10. debbie0040 says:

It is wrong for legislators or Congressmen to have contracts or do business with the state. It may be legal, but it is wrong and should be changed.

I think the fact the overwhelming majority of the state legislature are opposing Handel will hurt Deal. I have had several people tell me that was a factor that was influencing their vote for Handel. Handel wants to clean house and put in reform. They are resisting . They l ike the way things are and don’t want them changed. It is also playing into Karen’s campaign strategy that she is fighting the good ol boy network because they all seem to be sticking together with the exception of a few. The legislature has become like a temple that needs to be cleansed. I, for one, hopes Handel wins big. Deal is now seen as the establishment candidate and there will be a backlash against that Tuesday. I would love to see the members of the legislature trying to cover their back sides in that one..

The voter have a choice between which opinion they like more. The legislature or Sarah Palin, Jan Brewer and just plain out old grassroots activists contacting their friends and neighbors.

• Capt. Jack Sparrow says:

AMEN. If they can’t live off the $172,000 we pay a congressman, they should quit and go be a greeter at Wal-Mart!!!

11. debbie0040 says:

Cagle vs. Reed in 2006 and many other races. It is ironic that some of the same people that did not have an issue with the way Cagle conducted his campaign, now are crying foul over the Handel campaign. They don’t mind negative campaiging as long as it is coming from a candidate they support..They need to stop being so hypocritical..

12. anothergavoter says:

It’s hard to compete with Sarah coming to town, but who doesn’t love the flip-flop endorsement?
    Karen Handel Happy-Happy Hour Endorsement

• ACCmoderate says:

Why is everyone posting videos of that loser? Is he giving a fake campaign speech in his closet? Yeesh.

13. Mama_grizzly says:

I am sick of all you Deal wussies whining about the negative campaigning from Handel. What do you think Roy Barnes would do to Deal? Much worse. Are you going to go around whining like babies if that happens as well?

I have seen much harsher rhetoric coming from those jack booted thugs at GRTL and Deal supporters. Deal supporters are very nasty if you don’t support Deal. They are like kindergarten children throwing temper tantrums because not all children want to play their game.

mama grizzilies will rule this election cycle!

• B Balz says:

“There must be some way out of here,” said the joker to the thief,
      “There’s too much confusion, I can’t get no relief.
      Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth,
      None of them along the line know what any of it is worth.”

Courtesy: Jimi Hendrix who covered Bob Dylan’s
      “All Along the Watch Tower”