Note to Ambernappe (UPDATED)

I know you’re probably the type of person who spends days and nights searching for spelling errors in phone books, but the rest of us aren’t. This isn’t a term-paper or a thesis. It’s a blog. For most of us, even some of the front pagers, it’s just a side hustle. We have more important things to do than submit every front-page post or comment we write to an English professor for proofreading. Typos happen. Misspellings happen. Run-ons and fragments happen. Get over it.

If you have something valuable to add to the conversation, you’re more than welcome to contribute. But pointing out every little typo or grammatical error that everyone commits just makes you seem petty, and it detracts from the real discussion. I’m not into banning people. So I’m not banning you or putting you in timeout. I’m respectfully asking you to focus on the issues and stop with the grammar lessons.

UPDATED (040825AUG2010)

Calling out Ambernappe on the front page was over the top on my part, and I sincerely apologize for that. I could have and should have addressed my concerns privately with her. Furthermore, not giving her the opportunity to respond on this thread was just stupid and stubborn. I thought about apologizing to her in private, and sort of did in another comment thread. But if I am going to wrongfully call her out in public, then I should at least give her the respect of apologizing in public.

1. Doug Grammer says:

Jace,

You get points for an open apology. Moderators, or even the owners of the site, should not call out people in public when they could just send an e-mail and achieve similar results. Even more so, if a poster had asked moderators or the owners for help and received silence. I’m just sayin.

2. saltycracker says:

Amber – fossilized resin
    Nappe – tablecloth (fr.) or a sheet of rock, water….

Don’t know if her corrections reflect an OCD or just an irritating habit, probably the latter, but a subjective “what’s in a name” analysis indicates she is tough enough to cover it over or interpret as overreaction. Prepare for a corrective response.

3. chamblee54 says:

You should have a link to the comment. A lot of us don’t read every jot and tittle in Peach Pundit. If you are going to “call out” someone like this, you should post a link to the infraction so the casual reader can see what you are talking about.

• Jace Walden says:

It wasn’t just one comment. It was a string of comments spread out over at least a half dozen threads. None of the comments had anything [not even remotely] to do with the thread in which they were posted. Just pointing out spelling and grammar errors. It got to the point where it was nothing more than spam. But it’s over now, and we’re moving on.

4. ZazaPachulia says:

So you’re saying Ambernappe now has her job back as a poster? That you acted too quickly? That it was an honest mistake, and besides, you were scared of what Glenn Beck might say?

I think we’ve officially confirmed that Jace Walden is a closet Democrat and a staffer for Tom Vilsack.

5. John Konop says:

No harm no foul. I like both people and it demonstrated a lot a lot of courage and class to openly apologize. I also think both people add a lot to the blog!

6. Lone Star Georgian says:

It sounds like this poster actually said what a lot of us are thinking. It’s not just Jace by any stretch, but folks need to at least read their posts before hitting the submit button. It’s hard to take someone seriously when they can’t be bothered to write using grammar rules normally acquired in 4th grade. Yes, mistakes happen even when you proofread. However, some people are so anxious to be heard that they don’t care to write correctly. And that makes for a post that many people don’t care to read.

7. saltycracker says:

Zaza,

can’t believe anything on this blog now…..did you mean poster or poser ?

getting like ABC/CBS/NBC news, all entertainment, all the time

• ZazaPachulia says:

That’s what the internet was always supposed to be! If you don’t have one already, call up your local newspaper and order a subscription. Blogs have a function, but you shouldn’t be depending on them for anything news/fact related — no matter how smart the people are who run them… (that was a shout out to Charlie, not The Robespierre of Macon)

Also, If you live in Marietta / Gwinnett / Newnan / Jonesboro your local paper would be the Daily Journal / Daily Post / Times-Herald / News-Daily — not the AJC… Order the AJC too if you want to, but don’t expect to read about your school board, sheriff or county commission.

8. Ambernappe says:

As to definitions: Ambernappe is ultimately derive from an early Spanish word meaning “the gift”, then to the French lagniappe,”a small gift (rosebud or chocolate at the evening turndown of the bedcover) from the proprietor”, and then the name of my beautiful Occicat.
    As to spelling corrections: A paraphrase of the qualifier which used to appear in most periodicals and other publications which accepted written from readers was “in the interests of limited space, all letters and other unsolicited material becomes the property of the publisher, and if used, will be subject to editing for accuracy (includes spelling), appropriateness, and space.
    This writer is neither compulsive, antagonistic, or malevolent. I am from an era in which the proper use of the mother tongue was appreciated as useful skill in written and oral communication. May I demonstrate how different the message becomes with only a slight change in spelling. A writer described the use of passive wetland as aeration to “remove affluent from the water”. Of course, the word should have been “effluent”. (No relation to much of the current political discourse).
    I take no offense from the reaction, or action, from Jace. In the words of the late Republican President Reagan, his “youth and inexperience” are forgivable.
    My editorial skill will continue as only a mental exercise.