If You Didn’t Like Nathan Deal’s Principled Stand Against Race To The Top Dollars, You’ll Be Delighted To Know It Only Took 8 Hours For Him To Take A Different One

August 3, 2010 16:46 pm

by Icarus · 28 comments

The Gainesville Times is reporting that Nathan Deal has reversed his statements of this morning that Georgia should reject “Race to the Top” education funds, and now wants to use them.

Republican gubernatorial candidate Nathan Deal has changed his tune on federal “Race to the Top” money.

After initially telling business leaders at a candidate forum today that he would reject the federal money for schools, Deal’s campaign said Tuesday afternoon that the candidate spoke on bad information.

Georgia is one of 18 finalists in the second round of the federal school reform grant competition. The state could share in some $3.4 billion if selected.

Originally, Deal thought the grant program would force the state to adhere to national education standards and said he wouldn’t take it.
His GOP runoff rival, Karen Handel, also at the forum, said she wouldn’t turn up her nose at the money. Handel said as long as Georgians are paying taxes to the federal government she would have a responsibility as governor to make sure it’s seeing its fair share.

Deal’s campaign spokesman, Brian Robinson, likened participation in the program to taking free drugs from an illegal drug dealer.

“The thing with this federal money is it’s like a drug dealer: the first one’s free and then they’ve got you hooked and you play by their rules,” Robinson said.

Doug Deal August 3, 2010 at 4:59 pm

What’s the Deal?

John Konop August 3, 2010 at 5:03 pm

DUDE, you stole my POST! LOL :)

Doug Deal August 4, 2010 at 8:03 pm

My defense, that comment had my name on it, how could it be theft?

John Konop August 3, 2010 at 5:06 pm

This is a classic from Icarus!!!! LOL

…..All Deal Sock Puppets should report immediately to Mr. Robinson to get your new talking points entitled “some drug dealers serve local communities well.”……

Jim Bob August 3, 2010 at 6:43 pm

That is, the one’s left to post anything. I firmly believe his goal is to get rid of all “Deal” people so that he won’t have to listen to them anymore.

Jim Bob August 3, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Sorry, I thought I was on the “open thread” post…..

John Konop August 3, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Jim Bob

You guys are really paranoid! The professional posting team with organized talking points gets old.

Jim Bob August 3, 2010 at 8:52 pm

John,

So do you, so do you…..

Icarus August 3, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Since you brought it up again, you and the other readers should understand that Cool Hand was put in timeout for spamming the same link across multiple threads (not a single open thread as you earlier claimed) without context or added value to the discussion at hand.

That’s spam. And as noted in the thread I sent to him, it has zero tolerence.

If anyone has anything else to say about this subject, take it to the open thread.

Jim Bob August 3, 2010 at 8:57 pm

“without context or added value”

I saw the posts, there WAS context submitted along with them and you know it.

As far as “added value”, well I guess that’s in the eye of the beholder or the “delete” button, huh.

Consider this YOUR invitation to come see me in the “open thread”……

polisavvy August 3, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I saw him do a Q&A on CBS Atlanta just a few minutes ago. He explained his position. He said that there are some stipulations that concern him about accepting the money (i.e., what the future would bring as far as Georgia’s liability). I agree with him on this point. We need to know everything about what the federal government will expect from us once they have funded the programs. It kind of makes sense to know what you are jumping into before you jump off the bridge.

I early voted last Friday and voted for Handel; but, I do think that he raises some pretty valid concerns.

Ambernappe August 3, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Makes a lot of sense to know all before rejecting the funds out of hand. By the way, neither of them has mentioned site-based school management – pro or con.

jackson August 3, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Awesome ! Great Job Icarus! A candidate realized he got bad information and let everyone know exactly what he would do. What a jerk! He should have kept lying!

IN unrelated news, Handel changed her position on Transportation funding in Sundays debate. It shouldnt matter, because Karen Handel is a woman and can change her mind if she feels like it!

Icarus August 3, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Ah, a redirection with a touch of mysogony. Nice yet expected first shot from the Deal camp.

Deal got “bad information”. Interesting.

Isn’t he the guy that was in Washington when this Washington program was concocted? I thought his message about fighting all those people in Washington like the ones he was until he quit was based on his understanding of these Washington programs?

My bad.

John Konop August 3, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Icarus,

Deal must have been to busy counting his money with his government sponsored storage business.

Doctor Death August 3, 2010 at 9:00 pm

-10 Incorrect spelling of the word- misogyny.

You got “bad information” when you learned how to spell.

Truth about Handel is now called “redirection”?

You PP posters are so Objective, it’s a wonder you have any credibility, oh wait, I forgot, you don’t have ANY credibility.

Icarus August 3, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Clearly the evening meeting of the Deal Sock Puppets just let out.

I hope Brian gave you better instructions on what to say than he gave Nathan this morning.

Doctor Death August 3, 2010 at 9:07 pm

You should have been a comedian!!

Provocateur August 4, 2010 at 12:58 am

Or “creditability” either.

Romegaguy August 3, 2010 at 5:39 pm

I am shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you. Shocked that Nathan Deal, a man of proven conviction and stick-to-it-ness would switch his views on an issue or party affiliation…

polisavvy August 3, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Come on now and play fair. Handel doesn’t have a whole of “stick-to-it-ness” either as is indicated by her last two jobs. I voted for her; but, having said that, she doesn’t have the longest track record with places of employment.

Andre August 3, 2010 at 6:54 pm

John Nathan Kerry Deal strikes again.

jackson August 3, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Its mysogony if Deal supporters talks about gender, equality when Handel supporters mention it. Hilarious. She brings out the Gender card, and then you mock Deal supporters if they mention it. Awwwwww, how enlightened you are.

I still fail to see the problem with this issue if he corrects something he said from earlier in the day. At least he had honest reasoning for it. Whats worse is that Handel still hasn’t addressed her complete about face in her transportation position from the debate on Sunday. Its a major issue in this state and one reason we haven’t been able to get something passed on it. But who cares about a billion dollar issue like transportation?

That’s the Handel way: Deny Deny Deny (when she lies) and Ignore Ignore Ignore (when presented with facts).

polisavvy August 3, 2010 at 7:25 pm

I voted for Handel; however, I don’t like the whole “gender” card aspect of her campaign. I’d like to see a woman run as just a strong woman and not trying to paint herself as a victim. Women should just run on their own capabilities. I also don’t like to hear women paint all men with the same broad brushstroke — that’s a tad unfair and unwarranted to the men who are good, decent, and morally strong. Not fair at all!

ACCmoderate August 4, 2010 at 10:25 am

I don’t like the whole “vote for me solely because my opponent is a crook” aspect of her campaign.

So far the only messages she’s laid out in her campaign have consisted of:
1. I wear lipstick
2. A famous lady endorsed me
3. My opponent is a crook
4. Because I have a vagina, I can’t be a good ole boy.

Note that none of these messages are actual ideas about how to help our state (which, let’s be real here, is in crisis). Heck, point #3 doesn’t lay out any proof that she’d be less crooked than Deal and #4 ignores the fact that Sonny deployed his army “good-ole boys” to get her elected SoS (a job she then went on to quit).

The Iron Horse August 4, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Deal apparently received similar “bad information” when he thought it was a good idea to vote for massive increases in government spending while serving in Congress, such as Medicare Part D.

B Balz August 4, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Thanks for coming out tonite, everyone, try the veal and be sure to tip your waitress.

Ba dump bump.

Romegaguy August 4, 2010 at 3:44 pm

and then quit Congress so that 1) the taxpayers of the 9th would have to pay a lot of tax $ for a special election and 2) he wouldnt be indicted of any ethical problems

Comments on this entry are closed.