Deal’s “One Week to Victory” e-mail invokes some interesting names

I am not tech-savvy enough to figure out how to post the e-mail. So you’ll just have to take my word for what it contains. Anyway, after going on for a bit about how there’s only one week left and all that, there were some pretty damning quotes (about Palin and Handel) from some very interesting sources:

“All the media coverage about Sarah Palin coming to Georgia, we feel it’s kind of an affront to the women and people who know Nathan Deal,” said Sen. Renee Unterman, the only female Republican in the Georgia State Senate. “We feel this: Sarah Palin is an outsider. She knows what’s happening in Wasilla, Alaska; we know what’s happening in Ocilla, Georgia, Camilla, Georgia, and Augusta, Georgia,” said Sen. Unterman

Well, we all know that Senator Unterman is just one of those guys in the “good ole boys” club under the Gold Dome. Wait, what? She’s a woman?

And then there was this:

Joan Westmoreland, wife of Congressman Lynn Westmoreland, told reporters at Columbus, that she and her husband trust Nathan Deal. “Gov. Palin doesn’t know Nathan Deal. But my husband and I do. He’s a kind, honest and generous Christian man. Unlike Karen Handel, he is a staunch defender of the sanctity of life. I don’t care about who wears lipstick. I care about conservative values.”

And this:

Orit Sklar, who served in Eric Johnson’s campaign, is now strongly supporting Nathan. “Even though I’m a woman from Karen Handel’s home county, I’ll be voting for Nathan Deal on Aug. 10,” Sklar said. “If you liked Eric Johnson’s plans for immigration reform, lower taxes and education reform, you’ll like Nathan Deal’s vision for Georgia’s future.”

But…but, what does this mean for the future of the OMFGNathanDealisasexistpigwhohateswomyn meme?

1. The General says:

“We feel this: Sarah Palin is an outsider. She knows what’s happening in Wasilla, Alaska; we know what’s happening in Ocilla, Georgia, Camilla, Georgia, and Augusta, Georgia,” said Sen. Unterman”

Clutch quote.

2. Icarus says:

Very unique strategery.

Deal is sending a team around the state and following up with emails to make sure that primary voters know that Sarah Palin has endorsed Karen Handel.

Nice.

• I Am Jacks Post says:

Who knows? Perhaps Deal thinks there are still some Georgia primary voters who think for themselves, rather than blindly accepting “PalinEricksonRedStateZOMGgrizzlies” Facebook marching orders.

• Jim Bob says:

Icarus, you have an interesting strategy for censoring those who have opinions opposite of yours.

Yea, Cool Hand Luke told me about you deleting his posts and not allowing him to post until after the primary. He showed me the email. It certainly looks like he abided by your “rules”, yet you continue to block him from posting.

Is this how you and Erick “run” things?

Y’all are better than this aren’t you?

• Jace Walden says:

Jim,

I don’t like the idea of banning people. But there are rules. I can personally attest to the fact that “Cool Hand Luke” did not abide by the comment policy. I saw all of his posts in our spam folder. He’s not a victim and he most likely doesn’t need an advocate.

When he can follow very simple rules, I’m sure he’ll be allowed to come back.

• I Am Jacks Post says:

“These people, the banned, with their keyboards, they’re just not the Georgia Americans with cajones we need right now. That’s just the lamestream media, with their words and their dictionaries. Most of the time I just put up a fence and say baby, drill, baby. But this Luke with the cool hands guy, he’s just not the good part of the united american states.”

-Sarah Palin

• Jim Bob says:

I did see the comments and he did abide by the rules, including the rules laid out on the email Icarus sent to him.

He stated what the link was in regards to, which is part of the “rules”. And his post was in direct response to the post he was replying to.

If PP continues this kind of nonsene censorship, then PP is no better than the thingsand people they or their bloggers complain about.

• Jim Bob says:

I’m not trying to get banned here, Chris. But, CHL did post on an open thread.

I’m just trying to take up for someone who can no longer speak for themselves.

I’m done.

• gatormathis says:

…which brings me to one of the most sound pieces of campaign advice I recieved, and was from what I would term an apolitical person, but a very sound and elderly “voter”…..he said:

…”.lemme offer one piece of advice….when you are “campaigning”, and you are “talking” about the other person, I am “thinking” about the other person….so if you are gonna spend your time and money, talk about “your self”, and people will be “thinking” about you..”..

….I still think of this every time campaigns begin. So for whatever the race is, don’t give your opponent time on your dime, use it to promote your self!!!!!

• B Balz says:

Hi Gator!

In business, I was taught it is unprofessional and unproductive to run down the competition. Speak to your product/serivces features, advantages and benefits.

• TPNoGa says:

I think this bashing of Sarah Palin is disgusting and not a smart move. So, Gov. Palin is not allowed to endorse people in other states? So, if Jeb Bush decided to endorse Deal, you think he would be concerned that he only knows Dade county Florida and not Dade county Georgia. Pffft.

• ZazaPachulia says:

Anybody can endorse anyone they want. Them’s the rules. It’s up to the voters to decide if those endorsements mean anything at all. Does Sarah Palin’s stamp of approval make me forget about the glaring holes in Handel’s resume? Nope. Does Newt and Lynn’s endorsement of Deal make me forget about no-bid contracts, party-switching, ethics complaints, brither conspiracies and ‘ghetto grandmas?’ Nope.

The once proud Republican who uses the name ZazaPachulia on peach Pundit hereby endorses Carol Porter for Lt. Governor. Expect an email from the Porter campaign shortly…

3. Tiberius says:

I thought this was the age of the non-endorsement. I thought this was the time when candidates didn’t want the endorsements of career politicans who have turned soft in Washington or Atlanta.

I thought one of the Tea Party mantras was conservatism stands on its own.

Funny how quickly things change.

• I Am Jacks Post says:

There’s a difference between being endorsed by those who live 3,000 miles away–close to Russia, I’m told–and being endorsed by Georgians, who’ve worked alongside you.

• Tiberius says:

What have Jan Jones, Renee Unterman, Sharon Cooper and Donna Sheldon worked with Deal on? None of them were in the legislature when Deal was.

And if you think Deal worked directly with these ladies in the Legislature on Congressional issues affecting Georgia, you do not appreciate how little the Congressman and the legislators interact.

• Provocateur says:

Tiberius: What has Sarah Palin worked with Karen Handel on? What have they interacted on?

“Hello, Fire Department? There’s a 3-alarm fire at Karen Handel’s place. The Pot called the Kettle Black and Kettle refused to put water into the Pot and Pot melted and started a fire.”

• Tiberius says:

Handel’s people are not the ones going around comparing Nome, AK to Ocilla GA and Anchorage, AK to Augusta, GA. Deal is the one telling the joke that the people who know him are endorsing him. Handel has never used that line.

4. REDCLAY says:

A little history guys…anybody remember the Cagle v Reed bout??? The polls ,pundits et al gave Cagle no chance. Reed pulled everyone except Jesus himself to GA only to lose by 12 pts….well grasshoppers history tends to repeat itself and it will in this race. At the end of the day GA will chose one of thier own DEAL to be the CEO of our great state…DEAL by 9 pts book it!

• Gary Cooper says:

Umm…..I do believe Reed’s friend Jack Abramoff and his misdeeds had something to do with that race as well. Plus the closing polls in that race were too close to call.

If Deal is going to win this race, he is going to have to pull much bigger numbers in South GA than he did during the primary.

• I Am Jacks Post says:

“Orit Sklar would whip Sarah Palin in any debate on any issue.”

Best of all, she understands (and appreciates) subject/verb agreement.

• griftdrift says:

I would predict instead of a “debate” both would produce a critical mass of the usual talking points, resulting in an explosion of unreality, creating a quantum fissure and sucking them both into the alternate universe they so desperately crave.

5. James Fannin says:

I don’t think anyone ever said “Nathan Deal hates women.” He clearly likes women who toe the line. Nathan Deal is a nice, old fashioned Southern politician who goes along to get along with everyone as long as they aren’t trying to take away his “no bid” contract, pointing out his ethical problems or opposing him for public office.

The real bad news for Nathan Deal is that one reason Karen Handel likely got Palin’s endorsement is that Handel and Sarah Palin are both a lot alike when it comes to values and ethics. Most voters not invested in one candidate or the other see that which is why Handel received over 11 percent more votes than Deal a few weeks ago. I know it is why I voted for her.

When Sarah Palin was nominated for VP, I called a longtime friend and lobbyist in Alaska who had served in the State legislature to get the inside scoop on Sarah as I knew very little about her. He was very candid and said “lobbyists like me, state legislators and the big oil lobbyists in particular all pretty much hate this woman. She’s tough on everyone and always raising ethical issues. But that said, if you are not a lobbyist like me or a state legislator, which means pretty much everyone else, you’re going to love her. She is the most popular governor in the history of the state for a reason and frankly most people don’t like lobbyists like me or state legislators all that much or care what we think.” As it turned out, he was spot on.

When I heard Palin had endorsed Karen Handel, it was clear to me why she had done so. Many of us who admire Sarah Palin, do so because she has this common sense, good old fashioned American values way of doing business. She just cuts to the chase and doesn’t care whose toes she steps on. While she may not always get it right in every circumstance, it’s hard to imagine Sarah Palin ever engineering a “no bid” contract for herself, using her public office to try to keep the “no bid” contract or willingly sharing a stage with a school teacher who had a sexual relationship with a 10th grade student. I really have no idea how well Sarah Palin knows Karen Handel but my sense is she knows and understands Karen Handel and what she stands for a whole lot better than Orit Sklar (that name is almost as good as Barack Obama) , or Nathan Deal or Jace Walden do.

6. REDCLAY says:

Gary Cooper you made my point….the closingpolls were”too close to call”… Cagle won by 12 my friend…

• James Fannin says:

While the Reed -Cagle analogy is apt, I would suggest that Ralph Reed’s collapse more closely reflects both Oxendine and Deal’s collapse. In Ralph’s case,the public had begun to believe that Ralph was too closely tied to Washington corruption and the AJC implied that he might soon be the subject of a federal investigation. If last minute votes are going to break away from a candidate in this political season with the Tea Party, “toss the bums out” mantra, the Cagle – Reed example suggests voters would more than likely break away from the candidate who has who has deep Washington, DC roots, who has been closely tied to DC corruption and for whom there are rumors of a pending Federal Grand Jury investigation.

• GOPwits says:

Let me say that a lot of people bought into the rumor that Reed would be under a federal investigation and thus gave Cagle a chance. However, no one read the fine print that Cagle wasn’t actually a conservative, but rather a status quo Republican who would just toe the line…

In this instance, Deal is ACTUALLY seriously involved with a STANDING federal grand jury investigation. You do not have to doubt whether it’s true or not, because it actually exists and it’s been issuing subpoenas.

Had Reed been more honest and forthcoming about his shortcomings in dealing with Abramoff instead of making excuses for it, his issues may have never materialized, however, he made excuses and blamed everyone but himself…

• B Balz says:

No doubt the US attorney case is going to make Roy’s job easier. I think the whole of it is pol motivated at the highest level.

Anyone comparing Rangel/Waters to Rep. Deal has a cranial rectal inversion.

• Lady Thinker says:

A common theme with some. What will it take for people to see through the Deal double talk?

7. If you look at the Landmark poll crosstabs, more males actually say they’d vote for Handel (47.5 percent) than females would vote for Handel (44.2 percent).

So the ladies aren’t really buying it as much as the fellas anyway. I remember the women I spoke to after Karen Handels interview with Monica Pearson a couple years ago reacted negatively to Karen’s answers, while I actually thought it was one of Handel’s better media appearances.

Anyway, I don’t think anybody is going to be persuaded one way or the other by some random conservative wives & activists (no offense to Sen. Unterman who is actually an elected official).

Shirley Franklin is probably the only female politician in Georgia with genuine firepower & clout, but obviously she’s not going to be endorsing Handel or Deal.