A study in contrast

Barack Obama is coming to visit.

Roy Barnes will not be on hand. His schedule is “locked.”

I doubt we’ll see Jim Marshall there either.

There is this great contrast.

The elected Republican Governor:

Perdue spokesman Bert Brantley told The Associated Press on Friday the Republican governor had to juggle things around on his schedule to be able to greet the president.

Compared to Roy Barnes, the unelected Democratic nominee for Governor:

Meanwhile, Roy Barnes, the Democratic nominee for governor, won’t be anywhere in sight. Barnes will be in south Georgia campaigning. His campaign manager said that by the time they learned of Obama’s trip, Barnes’ schedule was already locked in.

Riiiggghhhhtttttt.

1. GaConservative23 says:

Makes plenty of sense to me. Perdue’s the sitting Governor. It would be rude to not greet the President. Plus, he’s got nothing to lose politically.

Barnes, on the other hand, wants to distance himself from Obama as much as possible if he wants to appeal to independents.

2. Progressive Dem says:

I don’t see Deal or Handel asking George Bush, Dick Cheney or John McCain for any help.

3. View from Brookhaven says:

I’m pretty sure the only thing on Sonny’s schedule these days is “Go Fish!”, so it probably wasn’t too difficult to make time.

You don’t see anybody desperate for his endorsement these days…

• Baker says:

My dear Mr. View, you’re forgetting about the vitally important trade promotion trips he and his retinue are taking to Argentina, Cuba, the United Kingdom, Dubai, Uruguay… (anybody else think of any off the top of their heads?)

• View from Brookhaven says:

Well, at least he’ll have a healthy SkyMiles bank to burn through in his retirement.

4. slyram says:

I can’t imagine Rep. Jim Marshall missing a DAV speech because military and veterans are key supporters. He can always say he was there for the vets and not to be with Obama. Then, I started thinking if the Georgia Delegation members who serve on the House Veterans Affairs Committee would be there and I don’t see a Georgian on the list.

Help me out here: was Rep. Deal on the VA and they are waiting for the next congress to get someone else there.

• polisavvy says:

According to the AJC, Marshall has indicated that he will not be in attendance because he will be helping his daughter move.

5. I like Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman’s reason for skipping out of meeting with Obama when he recently campaigned for Harry Reid in Nevada. He said he had a meeting that day with Wayne Newton and couldn’t rearrange his schedule.

6. ACCmoderate says:

Funny Erick mentions that Barnes doesn’t want to be seen with Barack Obama.

Meanwhile, Karen is trying like crazy to avoid her association with Sonny Perdue and Deal is trying to keep prying eyes away from that ethics report.

Oh, have you grown a pair and apologized on RedState for your misleading post about Deal?