Tonight on Sock-Puppet Theater

Jim Galloway, one of the few reasons the AJC shouldn’t be shuttered, brings us the latest endorsement round-up.

Most of the State Senate – who are, in my opinion, all women for not challenging Casey Cagle in the primary – are backing Deal. He’s also expected to release a list of 60 State House members tomorrow.

Handel’s list is a bit shorter, but has some of Eric Johnson’s inner circle in it.

Deal gets Don “Hide from the TV cameras” Balfour, and Chip “Use my position as a legislator to lobby the legislature” Pearson. Handel gets Richardson pal, Earl Ehrhart. Handel’s endorsements seem to be centered around the metro-area and Savannah.

The AJC snubs presumed Representative Buzz Brockway who, as a Front Page poster here on PP, has sworn a blood oath to Karen Handel and thus should be considered in her column, even though he has not formally endorsed her. I suppose thats the same kind of technicality the AJC likes, you know like the difference between authorizing the funding of abortions and appropriating the funding of abortions.

So have at it sockpuppets.

1. Mama_grizzly says:

When are the Senators going to stand up to Cagle and stop being such scaredy cats? It is clear there is bad blood between Cagle and Handel and that is why Senators are supporting Deal. Face the fact, the Senate is a good old boys’s club, even though one female Senator endorsed Deal as a matter of survival.

Thank God we have an alternative to vote for Lt. Governor instead of Cagle. The Democrats nominated a great candidate in Carol Porter.

I think if Deal is the nominee, Roy Barnes wins because of all the ethics baggage Deal has.

This election has bought out the hidden sexists in many men and we ladies won’t forget …

• B Balz says:

Unfortunately, I don’t think the ‘hidden’ part of sexism was ever that well hidden. Any female candidate has to deal with the fact that our State is run by very well entrenched older gentleman in the departments and committees that actually do the work.

I believe those folks to generally, wise and honest, a lot more open to change than one might give them credit for – they all have to explain themselves to the women in their lives…

I don’t believe any of them would openly oppose a woman based on gender, I DO believe that in order to be effective in Georgia, that woman needs to have certain personality type, a unique skill set, and political sponsorship .

Personality:

Think “Steel Magnolia” – Frum heah, gracious, funny, charming, self-deprecating, complete open book on family, heritage, past and present achievements, no question marks. Ability to cajole, charm, force, in that order. A Georgian version of Gov. Ann Richards. A smart Southern woman is America’s best secret weapon!

Skill Set: – Superlative education, technically savvy, but reserved, not condescending. Demonstrated career in public and private sector that is documented, indisputable, and relevant. Strong background in any of these areas: public policy, hydrology, engineering/transportation, economics.

Political sponsorship. “She is one of us”, won’t embarrass or betray us, has never impugned us, lumped us all together. Worked in the trenches with us, we may not agree, but respect her strength. Several powerful sponsors, ideally from both sides of the aisle will openly stump for her.

Most all woman know how to get men to act – with frightening and uncanny ability. Most men are set at ease with charm and grace, but honesty, strength of character, ability, usually trump.

Most voters prolly won’t be this granular in their choice, but in my opinion that is what it would take for a successful female Governor in Georgia.

• polisavvy says:

“A smart Southern woman is America’s best secret weapon!”

B Balz — this may be my favorite quote of all time. Loved it, absolutely loved it. There is a lot of truth to that, too.

• B Balz says:

A special ops pal of mine used it in conjunction with his rather messy divorce, can’t take credit for it…but it is truthful.

2. Tiberius says:

Unfortunatley, very few metro Atlanta voters could name their state Senator or Rep.

Even primary runoff voters. Rural voters seem to be a little more knowledgeable about their state reps.

3. I just received this statement from the Buzz Brockway worldwide HQ:

Buzz Brockway has enough targets on his back already without wading into the piranha filled waters of the Governor’s race.

4. fishtail says:

I ran into 2 of Eric Johnson’s big money supporters today at our local hamburger joint in Savannah. I kidded them by asking why they weren’t at Handel’s meet & greet at noon. Both surprisingly snarled and said they would help Deal but no way in hell would they help Handel if she gets the nomination. They are sore as hell from their defeat and the way Handel attacked Eric. They said Eric was up in Maine chilling out and enjoying the cool weather.

• justpeachy says:

that’s ok, Handel earned more than Deal in the last disclosure and she’s done incredible this week while in Savannah… even if those two aren’t supporting her there are many that are.

• Provocateur says:

“earned more” huh? How did she “earn” this? By promising a payoff to them for their contributions?

Wouldn’t be unheard of for someone as immoral and unethical as Handel to promise payoffs for contributions.

5. TPNoGa says:

Well, so far my US Rep. Tom Price endorsed Handel and my current State Rep. (future State Sen.) Fran Millar endorsed Handel as well. Good for them.

Based on their conduct and corruption, I consider it a plus that Karen is not endorsed by the majority of the group of crooks that is the GOP state senate caucus.

• bowersville says:

“Based on their conduct and corruption…group of crooks that is the GOP state senate caucus.”

That’s a wide brush, do you want to name names and make specific allegations?

• B Balz says:

Somebody already used that ‘wide brush’ splattering political paint everywhere. I think that IS the problem.

• bowersville says:

Come January, some one will be sworn in to govern. A wide brush of accusations and taking advantage of perceptions whether founded or unfounded might get someone elected, but they are left with governing.

That is where the rubber hits the road.

I hope the actions of a few doesn’t cost the citizens of my state. There are issues to be resolved.

• justpeachy says:

It’s so true! Getting the endorsement’s of state legislators isn’t that great. I’m doubfut Handel would even accept an endorsement by several of those listed of course Deal and his staff wouldn’t be aware of what they’ve really been doing since he’s been in DC for 20 years. Don Balfour? REALLY!?!?! I hope he posts it everywhere that he was endorsed by Don that’ll do wonders for Karen!

6. ACCmoderate says:

So the state senators are a bunch of women for not challenging Cagle for the Lt. Gov job.

I guess that makes Erick a woman for ignoring Cagle’s fingerprints all over the Deal ethics mess.

7. achilles says:

Ehrhart and Handel? That’s interesting.

He epitomizes the type of legislator that she claims to despise.

8. Provocateur says:

Chris…keep in mind that thou art the member of the Inner Circle of Sock Puppetry of PP…also known as ICSPPP.

It’d be nice if you did, on occasion, identify yourself properly. 🙂

9. James Fannin says:

Have you all read Karen Handel’s ethics proposals? Of course the career politicians and good ole boys support Nathan “keep my” Deal. With Karen it is “turn off the lights, the party’s over” With Nathan it’s bidness as usual. The Tea Party mantra has been all incumbents must go. The Gold Dome is badly in need of a serious Tea Party.

• BuckheadConservative says:

I agree, but we had a shot on July 20th and failed. Miserably. I think Lindsey Tippens was the only one pull it off, and it took a bunch of boozing kids to bring Wiles down. Time for more business as usual, and business is goooood. I look forward to reading everyone’s b*tching on this blog in 2-4 years.

10. 5thGenerationGOP says:

Don’t you know Cagle is breathing a sigh of relief that unlike Preston Smith he didn’t have a contested election in which his indiscretions might come to light?

Oh wait, he does have a contested race in November, against an articulate female candidate.

oops.