They All Have One Thing In Common

I do hate to interrupt the infighting that is known as the Georgia Republican Gubernatorial Primary, but I’d like to reflect a little bit.

We’ve heard from sock puppets of every sort at this point and they all say the other sock puppets are wrong. I think there is a hole in my sock. But beyond the turbulent sea of accusations and innuendos there is a common thread amongst the men and woman destined to be our next Governor: they’ve defied the odds.

For purposes of this post, I will only reach back to the past hundred or so years – but if you are really interested in the subject I would recommend a book by James Cook that details all of Georgia’s Governors. (The Governors of Georgia, 1754-2004, for those of you who are interested)

Roy Barnes: Most of our former Governors have never been ousted from Office. And typically our former Governors who have ran for office after having departed for at least a term have failed to capture the office again. Several have tried, the most recent likely being Lester Maddox and Ellis Arnall. Barnes would join Eugene Talmadge as a “comeback” Governor. Like many former Governors, Barnes is a lawyer.

Nathan Deal: Typically the pathway to the Governor’s mansion has not involved a stint in Congress. Deal is considered more “rural” than the other candidates, which such a description would put him in line with a majority of former Governor’s. Nathan is outside the median age of the average Georgia Governor, however he would not be the oldest elected. Governor Hardman was 71 when first elected – Hardman served two two-year terms, making him 75 when he left office. If elected to two terms, Deal would become the oldest serving Governor as he is presently 68. Deal, like Barnes, is a lawyer.

Karen Handel: Would join only three other Governors as having been not been “Georgia born and raised.” Obviously, she would be the first female elected Governor. She would also be one of a very few of our past Governors who did not have a college degree. Handel has served in County government and as Secretary of State, neither of which present the usual pathway to the Governor’s mansion. She does however fit the typical age profile of our past Governors.

John Monds: Monds has limited political experience, an attribute he shares with Governor Maddox. I don’t recall anyone ever going from a PSC race to the Governor’s race. Monds would also be our first African American Governor as well as our first Libertarian Governor. Monds has never served in the legislature, so like the others he is taking a pathway that is usually not a sure fire way to become Governor.

Whomever wins will have defied some odds along their path to victory, that is for sure. While the deck is stacked more against some – none of these people will be the typical candidate for Governor.

1. seenbetrdayz says:

Interesting. Good job putting this together.

(and thanks for including the libertarian guy)

2. analogkid says:

“I don’t recall anyone ever going from a PSC race to the Governor’s race.”

Monds will run for Pres in 2012, Captain Planet in 2014, and Master of the Universe in 2016.

Conversely, Bill Bolton will run for State Legislature in 2012, Homeowners Association Board in 2014, and Head of Household in 2016.

Good luck to both. 🙂

Oh, and good post Ron.

3. I think all PP front page posters use the term “sock puppets” too often. It kind of sounds like you think we’re all idiots and simply bother you with our drivel. Isn’t that the purpose of a blog and the reason y’all start these discussions? Aren’t we supposed to comment and argue our points?

• Ron Daniels says:

I tend to group the sock puppets into a very narrowly defined category, specifically those persons who repost the same thing in a spam like fashion across multiple blog posts.

Like if I found one of Erick’s posts and said “Ron Paul is going to save us and your candidate is poo poo.” and then posted it multiple times there, and then on every other post that’s not praising Ron Paul. The other type of sock puppet is the campaign staffer that is paid to shill for the candidate of choice.

The vast majority of our users aren’t sock puppets. There are a lot of moonbats, a few sock puppets, and a lot of people who have to agree to disagree.

4. Pine Knot says:

Also, if Karen Handel wins the nomination, it would be the first time the Republican nominee is arguably more liberal than the the Democratic nominee.

• drjay says:

i think you could make an argument that carter was not necesarrily “more liberal” than hal suit…and the dems were a lot different in the 70’s and 80’s–was busbee “more liberal” than cook for instance…

5. TalmadgeGhost says:

So is Ron implying that Sonny Do broke ground for Governor’s with a striking resemblance to Buddha?

I’ll never forget trying to describe our current Governor to someone and then just giving up and saying – Remember Sorrell Booke?? The only thing missing the past eight years was Mare-Ee not being named Lu Lu.

And yes, this does mean that Casey Cagle is Enos.

• Doug Grammer says:

The only registered Republicans are ones you will find are in Florida or others states that have party registration. If you are a member of a party by registration 30 days before a primary, you can’t cross vote and ask for another party’s primary ballot. I like that system.

• Ron Daniels says:

I consider reporting in to two local level GOP organizations as being registered, I’m sure they have me on some sort of list. My voter vault profile is a mess tho 😛

• Hey Doug, I know you like those small percentage numbers, so I found another statistic with a small percentage for you…

The number of Governors in the history of Georgia who were Republican? Less than 5 percent. 😀

• Of course, many would argue that there’s not much difference between the Democratic and Republican parties these days. So I guess I’ll let you guys include the historical Democratic-Republican party of olden days if you want to dispute that number. That of course means acknowledging that there’s not a dime’s worth of difference between the two major parties anymore these days. You know, since both are big spenders and nanny statists.

An example… let’s say a kid turns 18…

The Democrats are like those over protective parents who want to coddle you and baby you throughout life to make sure you’re taken care of while the Republicans are like the strict parents who want to make sure you never do anything that they don’t approve of and continue to hover over your every decision the rest of your life.

Meanwhile the Libertarians are like those parents who decide to let kids grow up and make mistakes for themselves. They provide guidance and advice but the final decision is up to the individual.

• Doug Grammer says:

Ah David,

Surly you can come back with better than that? Looking at the last 20 years, The GOP has been increasing, and the LP has been about the same. As far as history goes, it’s what have you done for me lately, and votes in Georgia have been growing with the GOP and the LP hasn’t done anything new.

06 Perdue GOP 58%
                      Hayes LP 3.8%

02 Perdue GOP 51.4%
                      Hayes LP 2.3%

98 Millner GOP 44%
                      Cashin LP 3.4%

The LP didnt run anyone in 94, but Millner got 49%

90 Isakson GOP 45%
                      Rand LP 2.5%

• Doug Grammer says:

In 98 there was a run off for PSC caused by Jim Kulstad LP who got 8%.

In 06 there was a run off for PSC caused by Paul MacGregor LP who got 4.9%.

In 08 there was a run off for US Senate caused by Allen Buckley LP who got 3.4%.

• “Question: What was the cost to the citizens of Georgia to pay for these run offs?”

Question: What is the difference in cost to the citizens of Georgia to pay for those run offs vs. the runoffs we’ll have in August that were caused by the GOP having seven candidates in the primary when only one will make it to the general election?

Moral of the story? GOP okay with costing taxpayers money when it’s their candidates causing runoffs. GOP screams “It’s costing taxpayers money!” when someone from any other party challenges their candidates in the general election and loses, sending the other two to a runoff.

Three words for you Doug: Instant Runoff Voting.

• Doug Grammer says:

All of the people in the state of Georgia interested in the LP primary can fit in one room. When you become a party that can get elected in November, then you can take advantage of the primary system. One of the GOP candidates will probably be the next Gov.

You didn’t answer my question on the cost of your elections. What does it cost Georgia to have a run off caused by a party that got 8% on the high side?

• polisavvy says:

@David Staples — How would/could Instant Runoff Voting work? Just curious. If it’s doable, then it might be a great solution.

• polisavvy says:

Thanks, analogkid. Do you have any idea how many states, if any, are using this type of voting presently? I believe I heard some municipality in the Northeast was using it; but, the voters said they still didn’t understand how they got “two” votes. After seeing the video you posted, I am aware that there aren’t two votes per se, I wonder if those people were privy to this video. It explains it perfectly. Could be a solution to a costly problem. Thanks again!

6. Bens says:

I have an earlier edition of the book (The Governors of Georgia, 1754-1995), and it is first-rate.

My, the rascality 🙂

• If any one here wants to read a fascinating book on Georgia politics, try “Wild Man from Sugar Creek.” My family has letters from both Talmadges and I cherish them. It is amazing how opposed Eugene was to FDR’s New Deal and how accurate his predictions were of the dangers of creating government welfare systems.

The best Eugene Talmadge quote ever: “The poor dirt farmer ain’t got but three friends on this Earth: God Almighty, Sears Roebuck, and Gene Talmadge.”

• Ron Daniels says:

Wild Man is a good read, a bit biased I think at times with a lack of understanding of Georgia – but I digress. I’d also recommend “Talmadge” which covers both Gene and Herman, but is perhaps a little rose tinted in favor of the Talmadges.

Uncommon Sense is great too, but it’s about Griffin Bell – but really a great book about Georgia in general when you dig into it.

Luke, there’s a really great video on Youtube – I may have posted before – of Gene talking about the Dangers of Inflation. I think you’d find it interesting.

7. polisavvy says:

Sorry guys, but does this title not remind you of The Eagles’ “Life in the Fast Lane?” I can’t get that song out of my head now. I didn’t mean to digress.

8. NonPartisanGA says:

6 instead of 13, but it sounds a lot like Charlie Rangle:

OCE Summary of Allegations against Nathan Deal
    1. In 2008 and 2009, Representative Deal sought to preserve a state vehicle inspection program that had generated significant personal financial benefit for him and a business partner. Representative Deal attended meetings on the state inspection program with Georgia officials and told the OCE he attended the meetings, not as a private citizen, but rather as a “public servant” acting in some official capacity. Changes to the vehicle inspection program concerned a purely state issue and according to state officials, no other Member of Congress from Georgia involved themselves in it. Thus, the Board concludes that there is a substantial reason to believe that Representative Deal may have violated House Rule 23, clause 3 and Rule 5 of the Code of Government Service.
    2. In addition, Representative Deal was accompanied by his Chief of Staff at meetings on the vehicle inspection program and directed the Chief of Staff to use a House email account to send emails related to the meetings. Thus, there is substantial reason to believe Representative Deal violated the House Ethics Manual’s prohibition on using House equipment and resources for personal business purposes.
    3. Representative Deal disclosed $50,001 to $100,000 in unearned “Dividends” income (and unearned “Partnership Income” on an amended form) from GSD on his 2009 Financial Disclosure Statement (covering calendar year 2008). However, the same income was described as earned wages on his 2008 personal income tax forms. Specifically, Representative Deal’s 2008 tax documents show $75,000 in GSD wages; in addition, Representative Deal received a W-2 from GSD in 2006, 2007, and 2008. Thus, there is a substantial reason to believe Representative Deal violated the House Ethics Manual’s directive to disclose all earned income.
    4. Further, Representative Deal rendered some degree of service to GSD in 2008 and 2009 and his 2008 taxes show $75,000 in GSD wages. Thus, there is substantial reason to believe Representative Deal violated the earned income limitation, House Rule 25, Clause 1.
    5. Representative Deal is the GSD corporate secretary. His 2008 taxes show $75,000 in GSD wages. Thus, there is substantial reason to believe Representative Deal violated the prohibition on receiving compensation as a corporate officer, House Rule 25, Clause 2.
    6. Representative Deal also failed to disclose his status as the GSD corporate secretary on his financial disclosure forms. Thus, there is substantial reason to believe Representative Deal violated the House Ethics Manual’s directive to disclose all nongovernmental positions held.

9. NonPartisanGA says:

Sadly Deal won’t be indicted until after the August 10 primary runoff – a delay likely intentionally orchestrated by the Obama Regime to secure a Governor’s seat for Democrats in Georgia.

I hope folks are paying attention. If we are foolish enough to nominate Nathan Deal yet another crook yearning for the Gold Dome, we might as well coronate King Roy.

• Lady Thinker says:

Here is a technical question. Say (God forbid) that Deal wins the runoff and then is indicted before he becomes governor. Does the seat revert to Karen since she was in the runoff? I am researching that but I have to admit I don’t know the answer.

• Doug Grammer says:

No, and that wouldn’t happen anyway. There’s absolutely nothing that was alleged that was illegal. They were alleged to be against the house rules, but nothing illegal, and nothing concluded that he did anything against the house rules.

• Lady Thinker says:

Analog Kid or Chris or David or Doug Deal or GOPwits or Icarus or Jason, or John or Mama Grizzly or Non Partisan or Ron,

Do you know the answer to my technical question or can you point me in the direction to find it?

• analogkid says:

It’s an interesting question, but it’s based on the premise that what Deal is alleged to have done is illegal. To my knowledge, none of the allegations are in fact against the law, just against House rules. [disclaimer: I’m not an attorney.]

But, for the sake of argument, let’s say he was indicted after the runoff… I suspect that he would not be forced to forgo the nomination. After all, he could ultimately be exonerated (“innocent until proven guilty” and all that). Presumably his bid for the governorship would be doomed at that point, but I’d surprised if he withdrew as a candidate.

But, (again) for the sake of argument, let’s say he did withdraw as a candidate, then… well, I don’t know. My gut says the nomination would either revert to Karen or the SoS would reopen the primary. I’ll take a look at Georgia elections law and see if I can find something one way or the other.

• Doug Grammer says:

O.C.G.A. § 21-2-8

“No person shall be eligible for party nomination for or election to public office, nor shall he or she perform any official acts or duties as a superintendent, registrar, deputy registrar, poll officer, or party officer, as set forth in this chapter, in connection with any election or primary held under this chapter, if under the laws of this state, any other state, or the United States he or she has been convicted and sentenced, in any court of competent jurisdiction, for fraudulent violation of primary or election laws, malfeasance in office, or felony involving moral turpitude, unless such person’s civil rights have been restored and at least ten years have elapsed from the date of the completion of the sentence without a subsequent conviction of another felony involving moral turpitude.”

Unless the nominee were charged and convicted before November, it would be treated as a special election afterward.

For argument’s sake, if the GOP nominee died between August 11 and November, I am fairly certain the Georgia GOP EC would vote to fill that vacancy. (That’s from similar court cases, and no I won’t look it up.) If the ballot had already been printed all voted for the deceased GOP nominee would be counted in favor of the EC appointed nominee. It would not have to be someone who had ran and lost. It could be PSC Bobby Baker if the EC thought that was best for the party (and he were willing.) I am 95% certain I am right on this, but feel free to look it up yourself. You won’t find it in the GA GOP rules. It would be under a court precedent.

• polisavvy says:

Thanks for answering that. I did not think that someone could win by default (coming in second place); but, appreciate your providing the O.C.G.A. cite.