Jack Kingston endorses Deal. Real.

“For those that supported Eric Johnson, Nathan is the natural fit for the runoff.”–Rep. Jack Kingston

You can see the entire story here.

• If congressmen just support congressmen because they’re congressmen, wouldn’t you expect other statewide constitutional officers to be flocking to Karen Handel, one of their own? I looked over her endorsements, but I don’t see Cagle, K. Cox, Oxendine, or even Brian Kemp endorsing her.

• TPNoGa says:

Maybe because she is an outsider. The Alaska insiders didn’t like Sarah Palin because she was going to upset their game. Let’s face it, it is a good ole boys insider club. We need someone they don’t like to stir things up. Also, her focus on ethics probably makes them a bit nervous. C’mon, it’s not like Deal is going to do anything about our state’s ethics issues. Heck, I’m sure he can’t wait to take advantage of them.

• TPNoGa says:

My issue with Deal are his obvious ethics issues (not as bad as Ox’s, but where there’s smoke) and I kinda think he has racial issues. I don’t think he is a racist by any means, but he is not very racially sensitive. “Ghetto grandmothers”

• PaulRevere says:

Kemp should endorse, donate, phone bank, go door to door, send postcards, sign wave, wear a campaign t-shirt, put a sign in his yard, put on a bumper sticker, wash her car, pick up her dry cleaning, take the dog to the vet, mow her lawn…well, you get the point.

• Doug Grammer says:

I like Gov. Palin, and so do many others, but don’t forget all politics is local. h/t Speaker Tip O’Neal.

How many Republican primary run off votersdoes the former Gov. from Alaska know in Georgia? How many Republican primary run off voters does Rep. Kingston know in his District?

We will find out on August 10th.

• Doug Grammer says:

I think I made an objective, reasoned comment on the topic. I can do that without endorsing one candidate over the other. Do you disagree with my logic that a local endorsement from within Georgia is better than one from someone who you may like nationally, but don’t know?

I call things as I see them with a little back and forth. I spoke up when Deal put his foot in his mouth with the G-grand mothers remark, but I also speak up when people try to say the congressional report said anything more than investigate further. I haven’t really commented on Bill Simon’s e-mails and ethics complaint, yet. I have spoken up on Sec. Handel’s behalf in relation to crude comments about her weight and comments about her intelligence.

I am fully prepared to support either of them 100% on Augsut 11.

• TPNoGa says:

I guess you’re right. My congressman endorsed Handel. I also plan to support whoever the GOP nominee is. Except my level of support will vary.

If Deal wins, I will vote for him as the lesser of two evils. But I will not give money or participate in his campaign. If Handel wins, I will donate money and volunteer. That’s the difference for me.

• Doug Grammer says:

Not worried about it. Looking at just one comment, I can see how some may think I have taken sides. Some used to think I voted for Com. Oxendine or Sen. Johnson as well. I’m not telling. It would be easy for me to proclaim I like one candidate more than the other, but I want us to rally around whomever wins on August 10.

I’m glad you agree with my observation that all politics is local.

• MSBassSinger says:

Assuming she doesn’t quit again. 🙂

Does anyone else think Sarah Palin’s “support” of Handel was the result of some low paid SarahPAC staffer’s recommendation based solely on “Handel is a Republican and a woman”?

• TPNoGa says:

Hey, it is the year of the Republican woman. Another one just won the Gov’s GOP nomination in Oklahoma.

Personally, I want something new and different. Deal isn’t and Barnes sure as heck isn’t. That leaves me with Karen.

• TPNoGa says:

Actually, Austin Scott was my first choice. But, of the choices I am left with, Karen is still the newest if you will. Deal is not new, he has been in Washington since God was a kid, and Barnes is not only not new, but not good. That leaves me with Karen. Sonny’s position is irrelevant to me.

• I Am Jacks Post says:

“Sorry, Sarah Palin trumps Washington insider congressmen IMO.”

IMO, you’re insane.

• And that one Congressman that endorsed her is being investigated by the Office of Congressional Ethics

and…of no…that venerable voter protection group CREW.

Seriously, I think Congressman Price is a great guy and this is BS just like the accusations against Deal.

The hypocrisy is that Erick and “Sonny-In-A-Skirt’s” people only like to point it out if it makes Deal look bad.

• justpeachy says:

not too impressed with any congressional endorsements I mean seriously, they’re doing such a GREAT job up there and all. There’s a reason you hear the term “Remember November” all over the place. Give me mayors, city councilman, sheriff’s, county commission… then I’m listening.

1. B Balz says:

In the Kabuki dance we call politics, events seem to hit the public purview at random, but that is rarely, if ever the case. The two unflattering releases regarding Rep. Deal are, in my opinion, coming out now in an effort to blunt the effect of potential, influential new endorsements.

For instance, who will Mr. Oxendine and Rep. Johnson choose to endorse? Those endorsement may very well carry the ball ‘tween the hedges for The Chosen candidate.

Methinks, the timing of the Federal Grand jury is really curious and since I do not believe in coincidence, I speculate

– First off, Who:

AJC states “…Following the release of the report by the Office of Congressional Ethics in late March, a Washington-based watchdog group asked the U.S. Justice Department to launch a criminal investigation. It is unclear if the request by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington led to the current inquiry.” Oh CREW, what a surprise, but we don’t know who, yet. We may know sometime one minute after 12:00PM on August 10th!

– Next, Why now?: Courtesy AJC

” “…Evans, Deal’s attorney, questioned the timing of the U.S. attorney’s inquiry.

“I am not aware of any facts that would merit an investigation,” he said. “It would be highly inappropriate to do such things in the context of the primary because of the obvious appearance of attempting to influence the outcome of the Republican primary.” ”

18 years is a long, long time in politics and most recently Rep. Deal was a thorn is the side of the President on Healthcare because his ideas represented conservative values.

Where will POTUS be next week? Yeah, it could go that high.

Regardless, the thing to watch right now is who endorses whom, with the Big Tuna(s) being Mr. Oxendine and Rep. Johnson.

• polisavvy says:

I don’t think that endorsements are the end all/be all. I don’t let endorsements influence my selection. I think too much emphasis is placed endorsements. That is, of course, just my opinion.

• polisavvy says:

I make my own decisions without outside influence. If an endorsement determines who someone is going to cast a vote for, well it speaks volumes to me about the vote caster. As far as polls go, well, once again, I make up my own mind. Poll results are determined by so many different things (area called, time of day, etc). that I don’t rely on them. Just my opinion, for whatever it is or is not worth.

• justpeachy says:

Look at all of Clay Cox’ endorsement’s that didn’t really bode well for him over in 7th… he had pretty much the entire state house, senators, Sonny threw a BBQ fundraiser at his house for him… he came in third. Just sayin’

• Ron Daniels says:

Rep. Johnson is Senator Johnson, just for anyone out there reading and confused.

Unless Hank Johnson is going to endorse Deal . . then there would be confusion.

• TPNoGa says:

I think Hank’s endorsement would seal the fate of any of them. Besides, too many endorsements could cause one of Lake Lanier Islands to tip over.

2. BuckheadConservative says:

Who cares? Congress isn’t exactly a revered institution these days. Maybe it will help him fundraising, but it’s not a vote mover IMO

3. Tireless says:

While Jack K. is relatively unknown in ATL, he is a very popular figure in his district. I think his endorsement will direct quite a few SAV region votes to Deal.