If Not Deal, Who?

Chris noted this earlier. Nathan Deal denies he is the subject of a federal grand jury that has been subpoenaing people to provide information relating to Deal’s business with the state.

The House Ethics Committee report came out on March 29, 2010, finding Deal violated 6 House ethics rules. The initial accusations against Deal didn’t happen until earlier this year either. Factor in time for an investigation to proceed to a grand jury, then empaneling of a grand jury, and this would be about the length of time necessary before the grand jury starts probing involved witnesses.

Deal says the U.S. Attorney tells him he is not subject to an investigation.

“Neither Nathan, nor anyone who worked for him, nor Ken Cronan, is under federal subpoena,” said spokesman Brian Robinson. “After we found out about this, we talked to the U.S. attorney’s office and they have assured us that Nathan nor anyone else is the target or the subject of a federal investigation. The timing of this is suspicious, but Nathan is not the subject or the target of a federal investigation.”

Typically the U.S. Attorney can only say what he is saying publicly — he cannot comment.

Given the composition of the U.S. Attorney’s office, were this political, it would not be coming out now. It’d be happening in the general election. So either a federal grand jury is summoning people to talk about Nathan Deal’s business deals (pun intended) for no good reason, or someone is being investigated by the federal grand jury and the investigation relates to Deal’s business.

If we take Brian Robinson at his word, we can dismiss Nathan Deal, Ken Cronan, and Chris Riley. That would leave Doug Collins and Cronan’s son, unless they fall under Robinson’s catch all “nor anyone else is the target.”

But then what is a federal grand jury doing besides wasting people’s time? Something is going on and it doesn’t look good.

UPDATE: Going back into the archives I did find a list of people Nathan Deal has identified as possible culprits. Perhaps they are being investigated. According to Deal back in March, George Soros, The Democratic Party, Sonny Perdue appointees, the AJC, Nancy Pelosi, and the Georgia Department of Revenue may be targets of the investigation.

But again, Deal’s spokesman, Brian Robinson, says nobody is being investigated, which means we need to investigate why a federal grand jury is snooping around for no good reason when legally they can’t do that.

UPDATE 2: A friend points out that Casey Cagle’s name is all over the Ethics Committee report. But to my knowledge there are no suggestions he was complicit, just having to deal with whether or not to keep the program in.

1. CobbGOPer says:

“Given the composition of the U.S. Attorney’s office, were this political, it would not be coming out now. It’d be happening in the general election.”

Ding ding ding, give this man a prize. It’s only a smidgen of what awaits if Deal gets the nomination. The Democrats will have a field day, and we’re left holding the bag.

Deal. Real. Corrupt.

• Icarus says:

Seriously?

Has the sock puppet commentary become so bad that we’re now responding with “I know you are but what am I?”

Are you currently in a Governor’s commercial with your Grandpa? Isn’t it past your bedtime?

• In The Arena says:

So now you are attacking Deal’s grandsons and you are also taking a shot at his age. What was with Handel’s tweet, saying Nathan was probably tired? The only thing more amazing than how low you guys will stoop is the complete and utter blogging ineptitude of Erick Erickson.

• flyonthewall says:

seiously? it’s amazing how this thing promted respectable people who post on this board to resort to this kind of petty crap. sure, take a shot at his age, but with that age comes experience that Mrs. Handel could only dream of possessing.

take a shot at his age if you want, but i have a friend who traveled to Iraq and Afghanistan with him two years ago and after about a 72 hour period of virtually zero sleep and more stress than most of us could imagine, that “old man” had more energy than anyone and was still leading table discussions.

taking a shot at his age is like taking a shot at Mrs. Handel’s education, or rather lack of one….

you guys are incredible.

• Henry Waxman says:

I was in the audience in 2123 Rayburn when Deal led the Republicans through a week-long markup of the ObamaCare bill (H.R. 3200 at the time) last year, and he was still the sharpest guy in the room well past midnight.

There were twenty-something-year-old staffers asleep in the anteroom while he was leading the debate on a topic so complex that it would have made Karen Handel’s brain explode.

But I guess he is “too tired” to be governor….

2. I Am Jacks Post says:

“Going back into the archives I did find a list of people Nathan Deal has identified as possible culprits: Perhaps they are being investigated. According to Deal back in March, George Soros, The Democratic Party, Sonny Perdue appointees, the AJC, Nancy Pelosi, and the Georgia Department of Revenue may be targets of the investigation.”

While we’re on the topic of alleged scapegoats, Matt Montgomery is holding on line 1.

Fondly,

Karen

• CobbGOPer says:

Whatever you may think about that particular situation, it didn’t involve $150,000 a year in kickbacks from no-bid contracts with the state. That’s taxpayer dollars in Nathan Deal’s piggy bank. For 20 years. Illegally.

Allegedly lying about an affiliation with Log Cabin R’s seems like small potatoes when Nathan Deal is swindling my state, and by extension me.

Deal. Real. Corrupt.

• Doug Grammer says:

CobbGOPer,

You are barely worth responding to, but I feel like poking holes in your post. Spin (wrong fact) number one in your post: It was not $150,000 a year. He was getting 75,000 a year, and it was passive income. See page 21 of the report, and page 2 of the MOI.

More spin from you: There were no taxpayer dollars, and to date, nothing found to be illegal. Also the business was not open 20 years.

CobbGOPer. Real. Stupid, untethical, and/or lazy.

• Doug Grammer says:

My name only relates to the actor Kelsey Grammer, not the english grammar. Extra “T’s” are no charge.

• Capt. Jack Sparrow says:

@Doug
          Resign. You’ve picked a horse. Obviously. And the 9th would be better off.

Also, if no taxpayer dollar were involved, why did something get taken out of the budget by the Gov, the House, and returned by the Senate after the Cagle meeting?

Maybe it was just kittens and lollypops the Gov and House took out and the Senate returned to the budget? Right.

Deal. Real. Crook.

Grammer. Real. Idiot.

• Doug Grammer says:

Captain,

As I’ve said many times, I am ready to fully support the winner of the GOP run off 100%. I haven’t endorsed anyone, but I won’t sit by while I see either of these two candidate treated unfairly.

You obviously haven’t read the report. Become an informed participant, and I will debate facts with you. Until then, it’s obvious you like to see yourself type foolishness. Don’t ask me to prove there were no tax dollars. Read it for yourself. Or do you want me to come over and feed you your lunch as well?

• GOPwits says:

OMG we’re now saying because the income was “passive” it wasn’t “that” bad? Seriously? You have got to be kidding me…

• Doug Grammer says:

GOP lack of wits,

It’s obvious you haven’t read the report either. Earned income is against the house rules passive is not. If you had read it, you would know that. but as I pointed out, you have no clue as to what you are rambling about.

• Kellie says:

Doug – you sure do defend Deal and mock Handel a lot. You may not be endorsing anyone but you sure are supporting Deal.

• Doug Grammer says:

Kellie,

Show me where I have mocked Sec. Handel once. I have defended her several times this past week. I am all about fair play and when I see something untrue about either GOP candidate, I will chime in. Occasionally, I hold my tongue because something true gets brought up. 😉

BTW, good to see you on here.

• Lady Thinker says:

GOPwits,

Ever notice how Grammer attacks people, especially women, who refuse to agree with him? It is so funny that I can help but push his buttons sometimes. It doesn’t really matter to me because his opinion matters zero to me.

• Doug Grammer says:

Lady Thinker,

You are no lady and not a thinker either. How is “good to see you here” an attack? I don’t care that you don’t care. I just enjoy pointing out what a lemming you are.

• Lady Thinker says:

Grammer,

Gotcha! You are only a legend in your mind, not in the minds of several of the posters on here.

Are you so desperate for female attention that you have to club a woman and drag by her hair into your cave? Because that is probably the only way you could ever get one. I bet you can’t get a woman to look at you twice.

Your posts indicate that you go after women you deem inferior to your pathetic, shallow, misogynistic, and narcissistic ego. I really don’t care what a fuc%er like you thinks about me but here is what I think of you:

W. H. A. T. E. V. E. R.

3. fishtail says:

Who had the most to gain from leaking this information about Deal to the AJC? Common sense says Handel’s pal Bart Graham might have tipped off Handel/McGlagan to the subpoena. Maybe Erick dropped a dime on Deal, as he has posted 3 times already on the subject.

4. Doug Grammer says:

Erick,

As an attorney you should know the difference between an allegation and a finding or conclusion of fact. The more junk you post that is not supported, the less credibility you have. As it is right now, I expect nothing but spin and misdirection from you.

Here is the link to the actual report:

Conclusions are on page 22. Please cite where Congressman Deal was found to have violated 6 house ethics rules. It was alleged but not found. When you can’t, you owe the Deal campaign another round of apologies.

To remind you your statement was: “The House Ethics Committee report came out on March 29, 2010, finding Deal violated 6 House ethics rules.”

PROVE IT.

As part of the public, we won’t take your word that a binder was given to you condemning Com. Oxendine, and we won’t take your word that “a friend” told you anything about the Lt. Gov.

YOU ADMIDITLY DON”T KNOW WHAT THE GRAND JURY IS DOING AND YOU ARE SPINING IT TO MAKE A CANDIDATE LOOK BAD.

• Henry Waxman says:

When Erick was a practicing attorney, I wonder if he ever threw his hands up and said, “I knew it; they’ve found my client guilty!” when the judge was reading the list of charges at the beginning of the trial….Because that would be consistent with the “logic” he’s used in his posts here on PP lately…

5. Insider Mike says:

Erick, this subject was already discussed in a previous post. Why do you find the need to start a second post to put your Handel slant on it?

6. zigmaster says:

Why not post about what Sonny is doing on behalf of Karen?

Governor Sonny-Roy Shows His True Colors

Rumors have it that Governor Sonny Perdue is busy calling ALL of his board and commission appointees and issuing quid pro quo threats against them of the following: “You’d better come out publicly for my girl Karen, and cut a check to her campaign, or else I will see to it that you are replaced before my term ends! AND…I’m sending one of my personal lackeys Eric Tanenblatt or Fred Cooper down to your door to get that check!”

PV Is Shocked!: Governor? Is this Governor Perdue? Or, is this a poltergeist from the previous inhabitant of the Governor’s Office (i.e., Roy Barnes, who was known for this exact type of strong-arm negotiating style) that has now apparently infected Sonny Perdue’s brain?

Nice one, Gov. Way to demonstrate to everyone that you are NOT an ethical OR a moral governor, and that you’re still the same crooked Democrat-at-heart who wants his own style of weak-kneed Republican like Karen Handel that you, Cooper, and Tanenblatt can control with your puppet strings.

Go on home, Sonny. Go develop your Oaky Woods properties that you were given sweeeeeeeet partnership deals in. GO HOME!

Courtesy of Political Vine.

• Jeff says:

zig:

Political Vine isn’t discussed by serious operators because Bill Simon is known as a blatant liar who will say anything against anyone who doesn’t pay him off.

• Ambernappe says:

The three appointees with whom I am acquainted must be really low on the totem pole as each denies any contact from the Governor regarding demands on behalf of Karen Handel. You can be sure that any one of them would report that kind of conduct.

• Lady Thinker says:

Where is the link where we can verify what you are trying to pass as facts in your comments?

7. fishtail says:

Zigmaster…you are right about what Sonny and his lap dog Tanenblatt are doing on behalf of Handel. I heard complaining today from a Johnson backer who had told Handel he was going to go with Nathan Deal. Very soon after came a call from Tanenblatt saying Sonny was very distressed and disppointed to hear this news and Eric reminded the fellow that he serves “at the pleasure of the Governor” on a State Board. Now this is probably not the first time this sort of bullying has gone on by a sitting Governor, but it highlights that Handel is an insider, not an outsider who will clean up the corruption under the Gold Dome. Oh, the hypocrisy…

8. ACCmoderate says:

Funny how Erick is more than able to throw Deal under the bus, but won’t bother lumping in the man that made it all possible by keeping the program in the budget… Casey Cagle.

I’m still waiting on you to post your mea culpa from earlier over at RedState… unless you lack the balls to do it.

First Mercer turns out a prosecutor willing to misrepresent facts (Nancy Grace) and then they turn around and churn out a “lawyer” unable to interpret facts. Glad to know I didn’t get my JD there.

• Provocateur says:

Karen Handel and Sarah Palin have his balls, so that may answer your question as to whether he may post the mea culpa on RS.

9. Lone Star Georgian says:

Democrats are positively giddy at the level of debate between Handel and Deal, which is reflected by the level of debate on this blog.

Point, King Roy (the remix).

10. bartsimpsonisdaman says:

This is good. Flood the Peach Puppet with posts that smear one of your cohorts and bury the facts about Karen “Mustang Sally” Handel.

Ever wonder how a high school graduate achieves “executive” status at KPMG, an international accounting firm? How does a high school graduate pass all the MBAs and CPAs?????

Could it be that Ms. Handel has puffed up her resume 😉 just a little and gotten by with it? GREED is GOOD!

Thank you Mr. Erickson et al. You’ve made our efforts much easier!

AUGUST 11 Learn the amazing secrets straight from Mustang Sally!!!

Vote Barnes! He buys his own liquor and earned his achievements the old fashion way.

BARNES 2010!

11. flyonthewall says:

Erick, I hope this strategy of your’s was worth it. I just heard that by the end of the week the ajc article and your posts regarding how you presented the GRTL issue with respect to Mr. Deal will be forwarded to literally every major Republican in DC.

Your actions are the only thing that truly determine your reputation. In this case you actions have done nothing but hurt the reputation that you have worked so hard to build. You might not care about what these people think about how you have handled this, but it won’t change the consequences of this past week.

• Henry Waxman says:

I’m sure the success of RedState.com has nothing to do with Erick’s access to information from the staffers who work for Boehner, Cantor, McConnell, the Republican Policy Committee, or the Standing Committees of the House and Senate. Just because many of these offices have strong connections to Mr. Deal (e.g., former Deal staffers and people who worked closely with Mr. Deal on his Committees or through the Whip Team), I’m sure Erick’s repeated, false attacks against Mr. Deal and his repeated inference that Members of Congress shouldn’t be elected to higher offices, such as governor, will have no effect on who these staffers and Members choose to share their most valuable information with.

12. bartsimpsonisdaman says:

What you’ve always wanted to know about Karen Handel.

1. Her mysterious ascension on Georgia’s political landscape.

2. Rockville, Maryland
    3. KPMG “Executive” 😉
    4. Educational deficiencies
    5. Voter disenfranchisement techniques.
    6. Blatant corruption that government officials want to suppress.
    7. Why Go Fish governor is working hard to get her elected.

Karen Handel is the most incompetent, uneducated governor wanna be, unqualified (including her ficticous resume) to run for Georgia governor in the last 100 years.

All I wanna do is ride around Sally, ride Sally ride!

Vote Barnes!!! Save Georgia from carpet bagging, corrupt, arrogant and greedy politicians!!

• Henry Waxman says:

Just because Karen Handel would be THE ONLY governor in America without a college degree (and she refuses to present ANY evidence that she earned her high school diploma)- it doesn’t mean the voters of Georgia care about education and competence.

Just because Karen Handel has been repeatedly called out for attempting to deceive the people of Georgia and touts a résumé so dishonest that it would make George O’Leary blush – it doesn’t mean the voters of Georgia care about honesty.

Just because Karen Handel has had FOUR ethics complaints in ONE MONTH and was a senior staffer for someone on the list of the most corrupt governors in America while making ethics the centerpiece of her campaign – it doesn’t mean the voters of Georgia care about hypocrisy.

Just because Nathan Deal was endorsed by the NRA and GeorgiaCarry.org and Karen Handel was not – it doesn’t mean the voters of Georgia care about their Second Amendment rights.

Just because Nathan Deal was endorsed by Georgia Right to Life and has a 98% lifetime rating by National Right to Life while Karen Handel can’t claim either – it doesn’t mean the voters of Georgia care about the rights of the unborn.

Just because Nathan Deal has been endorsed by the vast, vast majority of the Republican elected officials in the state while Karen Handel has not – it doesn’t mean the voters of Georgia care about the opinions of the people they keep electing to represent them.

I guess we’ll just have to see what happens on August 10th.

• analogkid says:

“Just because Karen Handel would be THE ONLY governor in America without a college degree”

Quick fact check: There are actually four sitting governors without bachelor’s degrees. All of them are Republicans: Jan Brewer – AZ (no surprise there), Jodi Rell – CT, Gary Herbert – UT, and Haley Barbour – MS (Barbour does have a JD, just no bachelor’s degree, so you may count him or not.)

I’m not a Handel supporter, and the rest of your post I generally agree with.

• Doug Grammer says:

Bart,

What grade are you in?

If you don’t mind, explain what you mean on 6.? I think I know what you mean on the rest of them and disagree with you on most of them. I won’t deny that she is from Maryland, but she was smart enough to move to and stay in Georgia.

13. GOPwits says:

Clearly the Federal Grand Jury empaneled by the US Attorney’s office is building a case against Deal… Why else would they be interview the people that they are…

It’s sad that there are politicians in this state still endorsing and encouraging others to support this very corrupt career politician who is now part of a federal grand jury investigation…

• Henry Waxman says:

GOPwits, your understanding of the legal system is astonishing. Let me guess; Harvard Law?

• Henry Waxman says:

By the way, did you know that Sarah Palin called the U.S. Department of Justice the “Department of Law” and thought it was based inside the White House?

Add that deep understanding of government to their shared experience with numerous ethics violations, and it is no wonder she feels a kinship with Handel.

“I think on a national level, your Department of Law there in the White House would look at some of the things that we’ve been charged with and automatically throw them out.” -Sarah Palin

• flyonthewall says:

I have sat here and read through your posts for the past couple weeks. Simply put, you are nickel mind trying to play in a world made for paper money. You wrap yourself in “Headline” arguements. How is it exactly “clear?” Every fact that has come from the parties and the attornies involved have made clear that Mr. Deal is not the “subject or target” of any investigations?

He was in the room. Sure they want to talk to him, but even if you want don’t want to give Mr. Deal the benefit of the doubt, no part of Mr. Deal’s ALLEGED part in this deal is criminal. That is the biggest reason why there will be no indictment or any case against Mr. Deal; NOTHING HE’S EVEN ACCUSED OF DOING IS CRIMINAL!!!

He was one of 9 investors that ran a company that had a LEGAL no bid contract with the state. There is not a criminal issue there.

Do you know the differnence between Mr. Deal’s alleged “ethics violations” and the ethics complaint filed against Mrs. Handel yesterday? If you assume that both actually committed the acts that they are accused of committing, Mrs. Handel broke state law and Mr. Deal would have simply violated the rules of congress.

I condone neither; I simply offer the comparison for context.

If you took half the time you spend on here to actually research the issues, you wouldn’t have to resort to “shock-jock” type tactics and you would actually be able to make objective, rational arguements.

I thank God that you reflect a very small minority of people who care about politics and who we select as our elected officials; or at least I pray to that same God that you do.

Any time you wish to argue the facts regarding these two candidates, bring it on. Just look at Bart and Henry above; there is a reason Handel is trying to keep the topic of discussion on this frivilous complaint filed by George Soros for actions that Mr. Deal’s chief-of-staff is responsible for committing.

14. GOPwits says:

You know, I’m sure Bob Ney, Duke Cunningham, and others didn’t see their deeds coming back to bite them in the tail either…

And people thought Oxendine would be the one under a grand jury investigation… Right about now, the Ox and Johnson have to be wondering why they didn’t bring Deal’s issues to light…

• Provocateur says:

Erick and Chris swore Oxendine WAS under a grand jury investigation!

Guess they were wrong. Like they are on Deal.

• Henry Waxman says:

Please cite the law that you think Mr. Deal violated. If you think he broke the law, then name the law he broke.

15. B Balz says:

Fly and Henry are both adding the most cogent arguments to this forum. The grown ups are home, y’all better listen up.

• B Balz says:

Maybe si, maybe no. You may be correct, and of course, your multiple generations of loyal Republican voters would see Governor Barnes in office as the squishier of the Party vote Dem.

Or we may see startling revelations on August 11, if bs in not full of bs. Let’s not forget the rich and juicy fodder the Speaker-whose-name-I-shall-never-type-again unhelpful legacy that will be brought up sometime in October.

Yep, how hard was it to stick to fiscally conservative, nuts and bolts talking points on how to cope with GA’s major issues?:

$1Bn budget hole,
      Transportation (Selling the TAX),
      Water (Those below the fall line cannot help to feel smug, but this is a GA issue.)
      JOBS

?????????????????????????????

• Henry Waxman says:

Please cite the charge. I can’t think of a single law that he broke.

If you think he will get indicted, then cite the charge. Otherwise, don’t talk out of your…

• B Balz says:

How does that article cast Ms. Handel in a bad light? If anything it reminds voters of her ability to rectify a terrible situation. Arthur Ferdinand ought to share a cell with Bernie Madoff.

16. flyonthewall says:

Here I am, another insomnic night and I was struck with a random thought. A thought so simple I was sincerely embarassed I hadn’t thought of it prior to now. I would like to pose a question to Erick and all the posters on this sight that have been railing on Mr. Deal regarding his meeting with the LG.

One simple question. Please cite the state or federal law he has violated? Some of you have gone as far as to claim that it’s inevitable that the US Attorney’s office will indict Mr. Deal. An indictment requires a charge of a specific offense (Crim Law 101 Erick). Thus, I repeat my question, what law has he violated?

The arguement here seems to be that he somehow used his elected office (his power) to unlawfully influence the LG or that he at least attempted to use that influence over Commissioner Graham. What power exactly does a congressman have over an LG or a commissioner?

I am sure there are several people here smarter than I, but I haven’t been able to find a single criminal statute that would be applicable to Mr. Deal under the facts that we know regarding this meeting.

The fact of the matter is that at worst Mr. Deal was guilty of poor judgment. This proprietor of this site and many on here have done their best to distort that fact into something that it appears can’t be true.

I am far from infallible, so Handelites, prove me wrong.

• Henry Waxman says:

As a member of the State Bar of Georgia, I look forward to Erick’s citation of a possible offense because I cannot think of one.

• B Balz says:

The events are suspicious to me due to timing. I have read the information on the allegations, provided for the public, and while I cannot see, from a layperson’s view, any obvious wrongdoing, the matter appears unseemly.

It gives the appearance of impropriety. Just because no laws were broken, it may not be right. But that is a far cry from illegal.

That said, the allegations being discussed now, I mean right after July 20 cannot be coincidental. I think there is pressure to make Rep. Deal ‘go away’ from the very highest levels of government.

Chicago style.

• bowersville says:

“…were this political, it would not be coming out now.”

Erick’s statement compared to Balz’ comment.

• B Balz says:

If Erick said it, I believe it, and that is all there is to it.

I stand corrected. LOLOLOLOLOLOL

• bowersville says:

It amazes me how quick someone comes to the conclusion that a political appointee would not under any circumstances…… act politically.

17. rightofcenter says:

Thank you fly and Henry for pointing out the elephant in the room: A Congressman has exactly zero power over a state revenue commissioner and a lt. governor. So what is the possible criminal charge? Did Deal threaten to kick Bart’s [email protected]@ or harm his children? That would be about the only thing that could possibly qualify as a criminal offense.

• B Balz says:

Rev. Comm. Graham flew as close to the Sun as he could with his statement. Talk about a carefully worded indictment by omission.

Not a good deal, at all.

18. NonPartisanGA says:

Office of Congressional Ethics Referral Regarding Former Rep. Deal

On March 26, 2010, the Board of the Office of Congressional Ethics voted unanimously to release the OCE’s report and findings concerning former Representative Nathan Deal. The Board acted pursuant to House Resolution 895 of the 110th Congress § 1(f)(1)(B) (2008), which provides that the Board may release “any communication” pursuant to its rules or as “necessary to conduct official business.”

OCE Referral Regarding Former Rep. Deal: http://oce.house.gov/disclosures/Review_No_09-1022_Referral_to_Standards.pdf