1. Andre says:

As I said in the open thread below, if it takes me all of 5 minutes to research Bill Simon’s connections to former opponents of Karen Handel, how long will it take for this ethics complaint to be spun as sour grapes from someone who’s taken thousands of dollars from Johnson, McBerry and Oxendine — three people Handel beat in the July 20th GOP primary.

Additionally, I have read the complaint, and it comes off as speculative at best and frivolous at worst.

I doubt we’d be seeing this complaint from Bill Simon if the money spent on others was instead spent on him and his company.

One more thing, Bill Simon’s ID Builders received $1,370.63 from the Handel campaign in 2006. Simon wasn’t so critical of her then. In fact, in the emails listed as evidence in the complaint, Simon seemed to be supportive of Karen Handel running for re-election as Georgia’s Secretary of State.

From the emails:

“Honestly, I’d actually rather have her stay as SoS because if we end-up with a doofus like Bill Stephens to replace her, I’m going to kick your ass as a proxy for kicking Governor Handel’s ass.”

Things must have gone downhill once Handel announced for governor, because suddenly, Bill Simon launched into his criticisms of candidate Handel and began receiving payments from three other GOP gubernatorial candidates.

Maybe Bill Simon is angry because Handel ended his candidate consulting gravy train.

• Tireless says:

Alinsky style politics – shoot the messenger ……Team Obama should be contacting you in the near term for a job interview.

• Andre says:

I think it is important, in this case, to consider the source of this ethics complaint.

The complaint comes from a guy who received thousands of dollars from Handel’s opponents.

Johnson, McBerry and Oxendine all lost. Handel beat them all, and in the process, ended Bill Simon’s gravy train.

Based on the thousands of dollars received by Simon from Handel’s political opponents, should we not question the motives of this ethics complaint?

• Provocateur says:

Andre, are “motives” associated with facts and evidence in some way that we should know about?

• Romegaguy says:

Speaking of people that get upset at candidates that arent paying them, how you doing these days Andre

• Lady Thinker says:

Simon says he has known about this for nearly two years and he is just now filing an ethics complaint? And he just has to release this to the news media before Karen is even made aware of the complaint? I don’t believe a word of it and I think it is politically motivated. The comments I just copied and pasted from the AJC says it all.

“McLagan, a spokesman for the Handel campaign, described Simon as a discredited source of information, and as a campaign vendor who has taken payments from Handel’s opponents.

But McLagan also said that the Handel campaign had not been served notice of the complaint by the State Ethics Commission, and so he would have no further comment.”

• Provocateur says:

Hmmm…sounds a lot like racial profiling…now Polisavvy wants to “politically profile” people.

I really don’t understand the “ulterior motive” angle. If the facts are there, they are there.

• polisavvy says:

I am not trying to “politically profile” anyone. I am just asking what the reasons could be? If my asking questions annoys you, then I’m sorry. I feel that I learn a lot from ALL of you by asking questions. Yes, Provocateur, I have actually learned a thing or two from your posts.

• Provocateur says:

Poli, you state “At some point the source should be considered.”

The thing is, when the ethics commission meeting is actually happening that will investigate this, they don’t care why a complaint was filed. All they care about is whether the allegations are true or not.

Looking at this complaint, several people are going to have to commit perjury in order for Karen to escape. Steve Handel will have to swear an oath to tell the truth, and then deny that he ever wrote those e-mails to Simon.

If Simon is found to have made this all up, he can get fined $1000 and sent to jail for 5 years.

Do you think Simon would risk a misdemeanor that would cost him $1000 and/or jail time to fabricate e-mails between he and Steve Handel?

Think about these things before you go all “ooohhh..let’s look at the motive…let’s attack the messenger…”

• polisavvy says:

I stand corrected. Sometimes we all jump to conclusions. I guess we’ll have to just wait and see, right?

• bartsimpsonisdaman says:

Maybe it was a liquor run since she doesn’t have her sugar daddy anymore.

Bring it on baby, bring it on.

Karen is the least qualified candidate in at least the last 100 years.

Go Barnes! He buys his own liquor graduated from high school, college and law school and aint never shacked up with a liquor store owner.

• “He buys his own liquor graduated from high school, college and law school and aint never shacked up with a liquor store owner.”

Does he at least use better English than you?

• bartsimpsonisdaman says:

Not that I’m complaining. Can’t wait for Gov. Barnes to kick her a$$ all the way back to Maryland.

• “David, guess you republicans have no problem electing a person with a phoney resume.”

Perhaps you should come on here more often. Then you’d know I’m a Libertarian, not a Republican. I prefer small government, not big. I prefer individual choice, not nanny statism. 🙂

• bartsimpsonisdaman says:

Lester Maddox was a racist bigot. However, even Lester was more qualified than Karen. I hope to God you Republicans select her as your nominee. We’ll be laughing for years.

A dubious past, a phoney resume and slick politics. Mustang Sally!!!!

• analogkid says:

Bart: I’m curious… Does Karen drive a Mustang? Is she a huge Wilson Pickett fan? Why Mustang Sally?

• Bridget says:

Wow. I don’t get shocked very easily, but I looked it up too and can say that’s something I could I have done without reading. Eww – if this is where the thread is going, I’ll find another blog…

• analogkid says:

Took some doing, but I think I found what you’re referencing.

I am hopeful (although not very) that that is not what Bart had in mind.

• bartsimpsonisdaman says:

It is dirty street trash for sure, but this scheme of theirs has some pretty big implications.

Sure I would like to lay it all out, but what point would it serve to drag names of corporate folks through the mud to expose this kind of deceit. The corporate scheme is one thing, that’s dirty enough, but when it migrates into the public realm that’s a whole different matter.

It really wasn’t too hard once a couple of connections were made. Then it all started flowing. The basic question deserves answered.

You republicans seem to have some selective memories when dealing with matters of ethics or even criminal behavior. Remember Glenn Richardson?

All I wanna do is ride around Sally, ride Sally ride. AUGUST 11.

Sally will show you how you, with no advanced education can become an “executiv” 😉 with a major corporation.

Until then, ride Sally ride!

Vote Barnes! Buys his own li

• Lady Thinker says:

I have asked you for the link about the liquor store and you don’t have one, so this must be rumor and innuendo. Are you Deal or Oxendine?

• Ambernappe says:

Bart,
        The liquor store sounds like an urban fable to me. Who was the source of your information and what is the name of the store? Bearing false witness is not a decent, manly way to attempt to defeat a candidate. Better to demonstrate how another candidate has proposed a better plan to improve specific needs of the state.

2. Tireless says:

So it appears Handel may have a case of “selective ethics”. Maybe she will get off her “high moral horse” and stop accusing everyone with a penis of being a crook. Note to Handel……glass houses can’t withstand rocks.

• Doug Deal says:

Besides the attempt to get a headline with ridiculous charges (which is an ethical lapse that fits well into the non-existant ethics of the Deal campaign and friends) what is the core ethical lapse you are complaining about?

Deal was chased from Congress, twice, for his illegally using his influence to cajole the state to keep his special arrangement on the junk cars program, in fact using his own congressional staff for his own personal financial interests in the process. People have gone to jail for similar (Trafficant).

Deal is an embarassment, and if he wins this primary, I will resign any affiliation with the Republican party of Georgia and work for his defeat. I truly believe that the long term survivial of the party, both statewide and nationally, require that crooks like Deal get sent home.

We cannot rightly complain about the ehtics of the Dems if we are worse.

• zigmaster says:

This is Handel’s way of cleaning up the Gold Dome. Whenever she does something wrong, she’ll point to someone else who has done worse. What a bunch of immature pansies.

• Doug Deal says:

Yeah, gay hating racist bigots who back a crook have a lot of room to talk about maturity.

Simply put, Deal will destroy the party in November if he is the nominee if he hasn’t already.

We don’t need any more Duke Cunninghams to embolden and strengthen the Dems.

• Doug Deal says:

The point is, there is nothing there. She didn’t cheat, personally benefit or in any other way gain any advantage whether anything listed here is a technical violation or not.

As anyone with half a brain knows, you can occur an expense when paying in a arrears (like one does for salaries) well after the time period in which the work was performed. Further, even if one has announced for another race, it does not mean that expenses for a former race immediately stop, especially if it involves a lease or contract of some sort.

Come back when Handel has actually done something that goes to her character, not a fishing expedition by a crazy hate filled zealot.

• zigmaster says:

“She didn’t cheat, personally benefit or in any other way gain any advantage whether anything listed here is a technical violation or not.”

Did Eric Johnson benefit from the $280k that was left off his filings? Or was that a “techinical violation”?

• kyleinatl says:

Sorry, I can’t support a candidate who has lesser education credentials than I do. Just isn’t going to happen.

• Tireless says:

My kids feel the same way. Both have graduated from high school. They will never support Handel.

• Lady Thinker says:

Do you have her experience? What have you done with your education to benefit Georgia?

• kyleinatl says:

I, and my fellow advocates, have successfully lobbied the state legislature and Congress to pass laws that benefit people with disabilities and chronic illnesses. Feel free to read about HB 1040, SB 316, and/or SB 247 (still working on that one) to read about some of the bills I and my partners have helped put together for the people that otherwise have no voice here in the state.
            Just to answer your question.

• bartsimpsonisdaman says:

Dougie poo, you need to look in the mirror before making stupid comments about we Democrats.

You obviously have not done your due diligence regarding your favored candidate. She has a ficticous resume and a dubious past (more to come later). So bring it on. Its not too late to get on the winning team!

Vote Barnes! Buys his own liquor and has a legitimate resume.

• Doug Deal says:

As always, I will end up doing what I think is best for the future of Georgia, but it would be difficult to ever back a candidate who pushed through the criminal redistricting plan of 2002. Beyond all else, this demonstrates a serious ethical failing.

• bartsimpsonisdaman says:

Sounds reasonable enough. Answer this question. Who is Karen Handel? Was Karen REALLY an executive with KPMG? If so, for how long? How come Mustang Sally bounced around in her private sector jobs, even more than her government jobs? What “EXECUTIVE” you know is on the job for a year?

Do you really know Karen Handel?

Vote Barnes!!! The others are toast!

• Provocateur says:

Aren’t all penises crooked? (oh, dang! I cannot help but laugh at my own comment…)

3. zigmaster says:

Karen needs to provide the receipts for these expenses and clearly show that they were for services rendered prior to her announcement of running for Governor. That is what the only “ethical” candidate for Governor would do.

Melissa Holder

3/27/2009
    $10,000.00
    contract work for Sec of State campaign related activities
    Communications
    Solutions

• Provocateur says:

Interesting comment. And, dead-on. What were those “Sec of State campaign related activities” that she spent money on after she had already decided to run for Governor?

And…the most amazing thing is Galloway’s personal comment on the story itself: “Actually, Handel announced her campaign for governor in January 2009, during an impromptu session with reporters on the eve of that year’s legislative session.”

Wow. So Simon was proven right in his allegations.

4. John Konop says:

Bill Simon called about the below comment I made. His only dispute is he does not think that what he did in the past counts as gay bashing.

Credibility:

Bipartisan House ethics committee finds Nathan Deal guilty vs. Bill I sold stuff for profit to her competition for Governor Simon.
    Issue at hand:

Nathan Deal use power of position to get an inside deal to make a 150k a year off tax payers vs. Bill Simon using personal off the record e-mails with her husband on the timing of issue of how 10k was spent.

Irony:

I have known Bill Simon for years and ironically was introduced to Karen and Steve through Bill. At that time he was very upset about the nasty personal nature of the campaign against Karen (SOS race). And he told me numerous times how Karen was one the most competent, bright, straight shooting politician he had ever met.
    Bill if you reading this, what you did here demonstrated no class as well as the personal attacks you have been spewing against Karen this race. How could you of all people lead this nasty personal attacks Karen?

I remember Bill Simon one time insisting I meet with a very good friend of his at a function. The gentleman was a lawyer and at that time head of the Log Cabin Republicans in Georgia his name escapes me.

I had an honest conversation how at the time my son was going to have an openly gay teacher his next year in school (grade school) and my wife and I ended up moving him to another school. It was a very open and honest exchange between us about the issue. The irony is Bill Simon thought my wife and I overreacted. I made it clear I am all for gay people having equal rights put as a parent it separates at that point.

I am not sure to this day if my wife and I made the right decision. But I am sure I want the personal liberties to make the call. And being open about sexuality gay or not is not acceptable in front of kids in our household opinion.

It blows my mind Bill Simon would be in charge of gay bashing and the above personal attacks, especially after the above story. Bill you should apologize to Karen and Steve.

• John Konop says:

Doug,

Bill Simon and I had conversation with no one raising their voices. I just expressed my disappointment in his behavior this election cycle. And Bill defended his position. We than both respectfully agreed that we do not agree with each other.

• Doug Deal says:

He has personally threatened to do physical violence to people on this very website and others who are less credible have claimed he has threatened to kill them, so it is not out of character for Bill.

• Provocateur says:

Really? Can you provide links to these threats? That would be cool to actually read Simon in real live action threatening to do physical violence.

And…how exactly does “and others who are less credible have claimed he has threatened to kill them, so it is not out of character for Bill.” have any credibility in and of itself, Doug?

If there are “others” less credible than you making claims that Simon has threatened to “kill them”, why does that statement provide any credibility to your statement?

• John Konop says:

It is no secrete about Bill Simon and his temper. But in my dealings with him through the years, I doubt he would ever get violent. But I would bet Bill would even tell you he has had a very sharp tongue at times.

• Doug Deal says:

People who put their name behind their words know that I am credible. The opinion of a third rate anonymous bomb thrower really doesn’t impress me.

• Doug Deal says:

You can look for them yourself, he threatened me personally on a thread by saying I will be sorry if I run into him at the 2008 Sonny’s fish fry, which I had no plan on attending anyway.

I’ve looked and cannot find that post. Here’s the Google search I used, Doug:

“2008 sonny fish fry peachpundit bill simon doug deal”

No such post exists as you claim. Can you find the post?

• Provocateur says:

Crickets are chirping, Doug…where is this post by Bill Simon from 2008 threatening you?

• Provocateur says:

10:17 PM….the crickets have gone to sleep, Doug…but, I’m still waiting for you to produce a link to the statement you made……

• Doug Deal says:

Bill, I mean Provocaracture, if you are too lazy to find it, I a do not care enough about anonymous trolls to do it myself.

No one really thinks you are anything other than a paid shill for crooks anyway.

• Provocateur says:

Awww…the crickets woke-up there for a second there…but then went back to sleep because you didn’t provide proof of your claim.

12:45 AM, the Next Dat. No proof yet.

Where, exactly, is this credibility of Doug Deal that Mr. Konop alludes to? Quite puzzling.

• John Konop says:

Doug Deal post under his real name unlike you, agree or disagree with him it is his opinion not a paid like your view without your real name.

• Provocateur says:

Birds are now chirping happily away in the morning….and, yet, no proof offered by Doud Deal on this blog of what he claims actually happened on this blog in 2008.

How shameful of him to make a claim that should be easy to back-up with proof via a link to the real post from 2008 about a fish fry.

• Provocateur says:

Thanks, analog. I read that post. And then I went HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

THAT is what Doug Deal calls a “threat?”

What a bunch of weenie losers this GOP has become.

• bartsimpsonisdaman says:

Isn’t it amazing that you Handel hoes can’t answer basic questions about your candidate but are quick to lob bricks at Roy and others? You call me out for using crass innuendo but you are ignorant to the facts.

You don’t seem to care about facts as long as you get what you want. But is that really what you want?

Do you really want an incompetent person who has a phoney resume and a sketchy past running this great state? Where is all the righteous indignation that you all handed to Ralph Reed? This woman is perhaps the biggest con perpetrated on the State of Georgia.

• zigmaster says:

“I had an honest conversation how at the time my son was going to have an openly gay teacher his next year in school (grade school) and my wife and I ended up moving him to another school.” John Konop

What?!?!?!

John,

It is ok if you are gay we will not judge you!

Most Homophobes are Gay

Research by US psychologist Prof. Adams of the University of Georgia suggests that 80 percent of men who are homophobic have secret homosexual feelings.
      In Prof. Adams’s test, homophobic men who said they were exclusively heterosexual were shown gay sex videos. Four out of five became sexually aroused by the homoerotic imagery, as recorded by a penile circumference measuring device (a plethysmograph).

Prof. Adams’s research was published in the prestigious US Journal of Abnormal Psychology in
      1996, with the backing of the American Psychological Association.

Prof. Adams says his research shows that most homophobes “demonstrate significant sexual arousal to homosexual erotic stimuli”, suggesting that homophobia is a form of “latent homosexuality where persons are either unaware of or deny their homosexual urges”.

These findings support the theories that homophobia (fear and hatred of gayness and support for antigay discrimination) is often indicative of repressed, self-loathing homosexual feelings; and that many homophobes subconsciously use anti-gay attitudes as a smokescreen to disguise their own homosexuality.

• bartsimpsonisdaman says:

Handel hoes.

Funny how you all been duped by Karen’s slick talking rhetoric and ignore the facts.

Karen Handel is the Elmer Gantry of Georgia politics. Just look. She won a special election by mobilizing the gay vote in Fulton. Then won a statewide race against who?????

No one, not even our side asked the right question. You republicans want President Obama’s birth certificate. How about Karen Handel’s high school diplomma. How about some of her “executive” references from prior employers?

How about answering the damn question? Who is Karen Handel? Tell us the truth Mustang Sally.

• B Balz says:

I wait with others to learn of your revelations. I guess you know the answers or you would not be asking the questions.

Your posts intrigue me, from the get go. You come off brash and a bit stupid, but clearly you are not stupid at all. I am sure, and the exact moment you will deliver your coup de grace’.

The question is–will Team Handel it?

5. rugby says:

Jace you are TOO CHICKENS*IT to POST UNDER YOUR OWN NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Until YOU can get *THE BALLS* to do that you are WORSE THAN SCUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. bartsimpsonisdaman says:

No doubt. Answer this question. Karen touts her executive experience with KPMG. How long was Karen employed as an “executive”? How does a high school grad become an executive with a major accounting firm?

Vote Barnes! He buys his own liquor and has a legitimate resume.

7. Gee, I’m shocked, SHOCKED that Handel would say one thing then do another!

(Say in the 2006 Buckner debate that you’re not a job hopper, then hop to your new SOS gig, then hop that to run for governor.)

(Say you’re for a paper trail with electronic voting, then vote on the State Elections Board to maintain the electronic system as is.)

(Give money to socially liberal or “moderate” causes then say you’re a solid social conservative.)

(Call everybody else is unethical, tell the Ethics Commission that you still have secretary of state campaign expenses (over two years after you last ran) but start running for governor anyway.)

Then she tells us that we’re stupid if we believe allegations from a “discredited” source. If you want discredited, Sec. Handel, look in a mirror.

• ZazaPachulia says:

Don’t worry, I’m sure Karen will have answer to these bogus accusations (and further do her best to hitch her wagon to the Sarah Palin train) next time she mixes it up with the boys on “The Regular Guys” show.

Partial transcript from Handel’s last “Regular Guys’ in-studio interview (sandwiched between exciting segments of “The F.U. Line” and “Pornstar Password”)
      Regular Guys’ Larry Wachs: Karen Handel is here! She’s still got glitter on her face from partying last night!
      RG’s Eric VonHessler: Glitter, glowsticks, par-tay!
      RG’s Larry: Wow, you’re in the playoffs!
      Karen Handel: Yup, I’m sure being on the ‘Regular Guys’ contributed to that.
      RG’s Larry: Peteetong to that!
      KH: Peteetong!

• Red Phillips says:

Bingo! And the couple of times I have heard her discussing the issue her response could best be described as petulant. As if she was bothered by even having to field the question.

• Yup. I personally think the voting system is reliable, but a lot of people voted for her on the basis of her promise to institute paper receipts. Then she double-crossed her voters.

8. Romegaguy says:

I heard that Bill changed the headline after his original posting about this complaint on his website

9. flyonthewall says:

Seems that there are some here that feel if they scream “BILL SIMON” long enough and loud enough they will successfully change the subject from what is at the center of this complaint.

So, I pose this question to everyone. If we assume that everything that has been stated on here and throughout these here interwebs are true; and the complaint filed was politically and personally motivated, does that affect whether Karen is guilty of what she as been accused of in the complaint.

I would simply say. Nope. She might not be guilty, but it won’t be because who filed the complaint.

The relevant facts are pretty objective. In December of 2008 did someone close to Karen Handel communicate that she intended to run for governor? Yes. Let’s for a second say that even that fact could be argued away by stating that that position was communicated by her husband and not Karen herself, thus noone really knew what the Secretary’s intentions were in December. Reasonable point.

Did she communicate to reporters in January of 2009 that she intended to run for Governor in 2010. Yes. I think that is undisputed.

Did she make payments out of her Secretary of State campaign account labeled “campaign expenses” after such announcement? Her disclosure seems to confirm such expenditures.

Even if we assume that those expenditures made in early 2009 were somehow legitimate SOS campaign expenditures, does that really explain the expenditures in March and April of 2009?

I am not necessarily stating that this is an open and shut case. I do believe that there is as much circumstantial evidence linking Mrs. Handel to this complaint as there is linking Mr. Deal to the congressional ethics complaint.

A couple weeks ago a few posters on here argued that the ethics complaint against Mr. Deal could not be objectvely reviewed without taking into consideration who filed such complaint (ie. a George Soros organization). Those posters were shouted down. I offer the following as the only two options for a logical and consisent standard for these candidates. If the source of the complaint is relevant regarding the Handel complaint, then it is also relevant regarding the Deal complaint and both should simply be dismissed in our eyes and politicaly motivated. However, if the source is irrelevant for the Deal complaint, then it is also irrelevant for the Handel complaint.

As such, the Handel camp must now accept that they live in a glass house and the tone of their campaign must change; straying away from the idea that they are the only honest ones running and everyone else is a corrupt thief. Considering that has been the foundation of her arguement that she is the fittest candidate to be our next governor, it should be interesting to see what she points to now to maintain that she is somehow more qualified than Mr. Deal.

• Henry Waxman says:

This may be one of the best PP comments of 2010. Very solid reasoning, Fly.

By the way, I notice no one is trying to argue with the points Fly made.

• bowersville says:

This may be the best PP comments of 2010. Very solid reasoning, Fly.

Not so fast. I’ll withhold my opinion regarding Flys “solid” reasoning until Fly comments using the same standards if PP puts up the AJC exclusive story this morning.

I thought Fido’s butt was ugly, but this runoff takes the trophy.

10. GOPwits says:

Bill Simon is a vendor that Karen Handel decided not to use. Several of her opponents used him. In response, he has launched vile attacks on her time after time and now he brings this nonsense accusation against her.

This is Mr. Simon’s modus operendi when you do not hire him – he attacks your campaign, attacks the people working for the campaign, makes up gossip, spreads lies, etc…

He is a bottom feeder…

11. Doug Grammer says:

Many people have talked about how much money was earned by ID Builders, Bill Simon’s company from other candidates. All of you realize that’s not all profit, right? Cost of goods sold, overhead and all of that? The reality is he probably didn’t make thousands, more likely, hundreds.

• acoalson says:

Yeah, but it makes a better lie if you say thousands though Doug :). I have worked with Bill in the past, and he has been nothing but professional and honest with me.

Can’t say the same for Handel.

• Henry Waxman says:

This reminds me of the time Karen Handel blatantly lied to me and everyone else who made the trek to the governor’s office that day. It was impressive and sad all at the same time how she almost kept a straight face the entire time as she tried her best to believe the words coming out of her mouth as almost everyone in the room gave her incredulous looks of disbelief.

Later, I told one of her coworkers about the details of our meeting with Karen, and he didn’t seem too surprised that we got the “Handel Treatment.”

If Team Handel is successful in pulling the wool over the people’s eyes long enough for her to be elected governor, I just hope she gets a better poker face before she does any negotiations on behalf of the state.

• macho says:

Do you really think there is any chance that Bill would be filing ethics complaints against Karen, if the Handel campaign had bought a couple thousand refrigerator magnets from him? Come on, this comes straight out of the Jesse Jackson shakedown seminar.

12. bartsimpsonisdaman says:

Hey Handel Hoes. Why won’t you answer the damn question. What are Karen Handel’s credentials? Who is Karen Handel? Why the blind loyalty to someone you really don’t know?

• polisavvy says:

Why do you feel compelled to reference ANYONE who supports Karen Handel a “hoe?” Just curious. I am voting for her and I have never turned a trick in my life!

• bartsimpsonisdaman says:

Oh but you are. You all trash Mr. Simon for filing an ethics complaint, trash Gov. Barnes, Congressman Deal, Commissioner Oxendine and most any democrat but fail to answer the most basic question. That is being a HOE.

We will produce our documentation but we’re not stupid. You’re going to know, but you had better ask her yourself. I’m waiting until after August 10th.

Cheers!

• Provocateur says:

Much more appropriate. The “Hoe” comments bring any debate to a level that is insulting to everyone, Repubs, Dems, male, female.

Bartsimpson is rude and crude and should be put in Time Out.

• B Balz says:

bs succeeds is a ‘hive-whacker’ and cleverly uses crudeness to stir the pot.

If you read the posts, they are cleverly designed to incite. Censoring the poster for being rude and crude can easily backfire, be careful of what you wish. for.

Is it worse to be rude and crude or childishly polemic?

• Ambernappe says:

Bart,
          I nominate you for “time out”. Your particular kind of name calling is unnecessary. I support my choice of candidates because of my interest in good government and statesmanship. At this point, you do not belong in the conversation.

• Jace Walden says:

Why so thin skinned? Civility is one thing, but he didn’t “cross the line”. Believe me, we’ve allowed much worse.

Civility is great. But this isn’t a church.

• bowersville says:

This game is for keeps. There is only one winner and 2nd place goes home.

It’s going to get worse, enjoy the moment.

• B Balz says:

bs won’t cross the line, either. He/she/it has too much to lose – Namely access to this forum if on Aug 11, Ms. Handel is The Chosen one.

Whenever your Doctor says this is gonna hurt, instead of “You may feel some pressure” you know it’s gonna hurt.

This is gonna hurt. But its’ for your own good…..

13. Lady Thinker says:

A “Hoe” is slang for a woman turning a trick and I resent the implication toward Karen and the rest of us women who post on her behalf. Knock it off or you could be placed in time out!

You can post better stuff than what the inflammatory stuff you are pushing.

• Lady Thinker says:

I can take the heat and I can take the fire, but those kinds of comments are a horse of a different color and unnecessary.

• polisavvy says:

I wish I knew why he enjoys “baiting” everyone. I mean seriously, what joy is there in that?

• bowersville says:

Time reveals all things. Patience, let’s see where Bart goes. If Bart is nothing but a flamethrower nothing but crudeness and rudeness will be displayed.

So far, flamethrower is winning.

• B Balz says:

You are so SWEET, I could just eat you on up like a s’more.

We are getting down to the wire, m’lady, and losers do not legislate. (Technically, Governors don’t either, so that phrase is used metaphorically.)

Now is the time all stops are pulled and we are seeing the results. Some of these folks are working off of caffeine, adrenaline, and who knows what else?

You logically ask “Why” through the lens of a ‘citizen’, not a warrior. Be no mistake, this is for keeps. Almost two years of strategy, planning, tactics, and it is coming together in these last two weeks.

This is the process, embrace it, it has not gotten worse, it has just gotten to your desktop.

It is not about joy, it is about winning. This forum is not about changing the minds of voters, it is about inter-Party, inter-candidate ‘smack-downs’ between political operatives and other stakeholders.

After after this is over, some of them will hang out together, just like opposing counsel in a controversial trial. They will laugh about “Hoes, schmoes, and ordinary Joes”

I find it fascinating, don’t you?

14. Romegaguy says:

It’s not like she was using her Governor’s campaign account to pay for legal fees for ethical investigations while she was a member of Congress

15. Three Jack says:

here in the real world ga unemployment is on the rise, tax revenues are declining and there is no end in sight to this government bureaucracy caused recession. who the hell cares about a self absorbed, scorned novelty salesman who sinks so low as to release private emails when it fits his bought and paid for political agenda…let’s get on with debating who will be the true fiscally conservative candidate for governor.

16. macho says:

“At least he has the BALLS to file it under his REAL NAME.”

Uh, Bill is not running for anything. He is the lackey for the person who doesn’t have the balls to file it under his real name. Campaigns do it all the time, they find some intern or desperate shill to file the complaint for them.

Bill has basically put every politician in the state on notice that you can’t have a private and personal email exchange with him, without it potentially being used as retribution for not doing enough business. When “Watchdog Simon,” sold out to the most crooked politician in the State of Georgia, for a few thousand bucks, he showed everyone he’s nothing more than a cheap mercenary.

• Doug Deal says:

Now Olens supporters are posting smut about Smith’s divorce. They even sent me an anonymous package with details from a transcript from a hearing.

I would much rather vote for a man who had an affair while his marriage was falling apart who admitted it than vote for a smut pedling lying piece of crap like Olens who had an affair with the Democratic party as a full blown officer who then lied about it.

• Provocateur says:

News from the Fulton County Daily Report blog: Former Max Woods supporter throws support behind Olens.

“Although Max Wood, former U.S. attorney for the Middle District of Georgia, declined to endorse either Olens or Wood, that didn’t stop a lawyer who had been one of Wood’s biggest supporters from endorsing Olens—Macon appellate attorney Steve Dillard.

Also joining the Olens bandwagon are Macon attorney Frank C. Jones, who represented Gov. Sonny Perdue in his constitutional battle with Attorney General Thurbert E. Baker and is Perdue’s lead attorney challenging President Obama’s healthcare reform law; and Keith Blackwell, past president of the Atlanta chapter of the Federalist Society.”

17. analogkid says:

As an avid reader of PP long before I ever posted anything myself, I can, without equivocation, confirm that Bill Simon is a jerk. Thus, I am confounded by Steve Handel’s apparent trust in him.

Why in the world would you tell a blogger, particularly Bill F*&^ing Simon, that something is “Not to be shared or rumored” with the expectation that it would neither be shared nor rumored (nor used in an ethics complaint)? If Bill is “discredited,” why would anyone trust him with sensitive information?

I suppose my post lends credence to what will surely be the Handel camp’s response: That the emails were fabricated, or that Matt Montgomery sent them without Steve’s knowledge.

Discuss.

• Lady Thinker says:

AK,

I went back and looked at the emails and there is no identifying markers at the top of each email which makes me suspicious along with Simon waiting so long to file a complaint if it is valid. Something like 18 months?

If it turns out to be true then I will retract what I said but my gut tells me that either Simon felt like he had an Ace to play in the future, or that it is some kind of political blackmail to get something he wants. It could be attention, or money, or maybe he thinks he can hurt Karen and make things better for Deal.

My problem is the timing of his filing the complaint and that is why I don’t think it is valid at this point. Just my two cents.

• analogkid says:

LT,

From the Galloway piece: “Information such as e-mail addresses has been removed, but this was the substance of the conversation:” I took that to mean that Galloway himself removed the identifying information, but I could be wrong.

• Provocateur says:

Galloway provided a link to a Google Docs version of the complaint. All e-mail sources are displayed on that ethics complaint if you bothered to go read the complaint rather than merely rely on Galloway’s version.

Again…I pity whoever the “students” are who are forced to listen to LT teach them anything.

• Lady Thinker says:

It is kinda like when people were asking about Karen’s plan so I posted some entire proposals. Some people liked that, others complained that I didn’t post links. Some people want to have intelligent debates, some want to bash people for their views and call them names, and some will never be happy no matter what you do.

Fortunately, you look for the facts to make your decisions. You make some great points and even though we may disagree, we can be respectful toward each other and keep it friendly. At any rate, I like many of your posts and a few I don’t just as you probably like some of mine and not others.

I count you as my PP friend along with a couple dozen others. We are the rational ones.

18. Ludwig Von Beachbum says:

Why nothing started about the Jack Kingston endorsement of Deal?

Jack Kingston check

• Henry Waxman says:

I’m assuming the front page posters are too busy trying to think of ways to spin Nathan Deal’s 98% lifetime rating from National Right to Life into a post about how he is really pro-abortion…

19. Henry Waxman says:

By the way, I love how Bill Simon is the subject of the headline, not Karen Handel.

When I first heard about this, Karen’s fourth ethics complaint of the month, I was fully expecting the PP headline to be something along the lines of “Karen Handel’s Character Assaulted by Sexist Rednecks; Still Best Candidate in the Race.”

20. Jace Walden says:

Bill used to post a lot here at Peach Pundit. We like it when one of our own makes the news. Don’t worry, I’m not voting for Karen Handel.

21. Capt. Jack Sparrow says:

I thought Bill sold magnets. Now it appears he inspects cars..at a higher rate than anyone else..with a no-bid state contract..with taxpayer funded staffers working as thugs to keep the money flowing.

Wish Nathan had the tired old balls to stay in DC. Then, he could have shared a cell with Charlie Rangel AND Tom Graves wouldn’t have had to beat Lee Hawkins 4 times!

22. MikeS says:

Bill is doing a good thing here. I have a lot of respect for him and he is bringing light to a subject that needs sunlight. Hopefully he will help the ethics commite get to the truth.

23. bartsimpsonisdaman says:

Tic Toc Tic Toc. AUGUST 11 we’ll show the real Karen Handel, live and in living color. It’s an interesting saga.

Ever aspired to get somewhere in life but just been held back for lack of proper educational training? No worries, Mustang Sally will show you the way.

Cha cha chang…..

24. macho says:

I wonder if Deal will chip-in with the Ox on a storage locker for all of their refrigerator magnets.

25. If Bill Simon is filing this frivolously, then losing business is the least of his problems under a new state law:

“The act also takes an important step toward eliminating the politicization of the ethics process. Until this legislation, opposing candidates and political parties have been able to abuse the process by filing politically motivated, but frivolous, complaints without consequence. Indeed, complaints are often released to the press at the same time — or even before — they are filed with the Ethics Commission, with the goal being simply to generate press coverage that will influence an election. Under the new law, this tactic is subject to consequence. The bill allows the Ethics Commission to award attorneys’ fees against those who file frivolous complaints or who don’t bother to show up for the preliminary hearing on a complaint they have filed. Those who file genuine ethics complaints have nothing to fear under this provision. But those who have other purposes now have a reason to think again.”

• B Balz says:

Bill Simon is an irascible man, I know from a few encounters on PP. Not a fool, and I am sure he will appear. The complaint may or may not have any real ethical implication, but it is not frivolous.

The timing of the compliant matched the intent of the new law, so I would imagine that will affect how the matter is reviewed. Not good for Team Handel, but most folks will view it as politically motivated.

26. GOPwits says:

The smartest thing for people to do is to just stop buying ANYTHING from Bill Simon so that people like him go away…

It’s unfortunate that there are political vendors out there, whom, if you do not hire them or buy stuff from them, they turn around and make up lies and spread gossip.

Sad, just sad…

• So what you are saying is Bill Simon has committed the crime of theft by extortion, a felony under Georgia law.

§ 16-8-16. Theft by extortion

(a) A person commits the offense of theft by extortion when he unlawfully obtains property of or from another person by threatening to:

(3) Disseminate any information tending to subject any person to hatred, contempt, or ridicule or to impair his credit or business repute;

• Doug Grammer says:

Jason,

Recent taker of the bar, I wonder if Bill Simon could get a court order to get the IP address of GOPWits (and others) and sue them for defamation?

• Provocateur says:

Too bad this blog’s owners do not have the integrity to remove such blatant gossip as GOPwits would post about someone who is banned from getting on here and defending himself.