In 1992, Nathan Deal was caught supporting gay mexican abortions while buying beer on Sunday wearing a Clinton/Gore campaign button.

Not really. But how many of you would actually be surprised to see this as a legitimate headline on Peach Pundit these days? I guess that “moral high ground” that Karen’s front page mafia once claimed to control is more like a molehill. And silly me, I could have sworn they told me that this race for Governor wasn’t about abortion or gays.

I personally couldn’t care less who you guys vote for. And I know you don’t give a second thought to who I vote for. But at the risk of losing my front page privileges, can I please say that this crap is getting ridiculous?

• bowersville says:

Doug you have demonstrated your adeptness lately at making your points while attempting to keep the peace.

Have you thought about becoming a public relations spokesman for the GRTL? Can someone get the GRTL message out without their personality and word selection becoming so prevelant that it becomes an issue and distraction in an election?

• Doug Grammer says:

Thanks for the kind words, but I don’t think I’ll be submitting a resume to GRTL anytime soon. That’s not because I don’t like their cause, but I’d like to watch this election play out a bit more. If Mr. Becker calls me up and says he has a bag of money, I’ll talk to him about it.

• “If Mr. Becker calls me up and says he has a bag of money, I’ll talk to him about it.”

That sounds like something Oxendine would say about an insurance executive. 😛

• No Ron, if your intentions were what you said they were, your post would have looked like this one. Maybe you need to take writing lessons from Jace. It is important for a lawyer to be able to clearly get his ideas and argument across. Your post from a few days ago did not do that. Jace’s did. Maybe you should give up your spot at Mercer Law to him. Or maybe just write your persuasive posts in IRAC for better organization.

1. NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

Excellent post! I didn’t vote for either one, but I did take note of the “I’m better than those three corrupt men” mailers.

At least it isn’t Ox…

2. zigmaster says:

Was that the same year Karen was shacked up with her live-in boyfriend running a liquor store in Maryland?

• SFrazier says:

Begs the answer? What do we really know about Karen Handel?
      How many jobs has Karen Handel had in the last 10 years?

What qualifies her to call herself an “executive” with a high school diploma? There has to be a payoff somewhere. She’s either the luckiest person alive, smarter than Albert Einstein or a crook.

• Lady Thinker says:

And what site did you get your information from or are you trying to pass off a nasty rumor as fact?

3. I Am Jacks Post says:

Classy. Galloway just reported that Handel tweeted a joke about Deal’s age, implying he may be getting tired.

Thing is, for a woman who’s never seen the inside of a gym, she probably doesn’t want to be commenting on another candidate’s fitness level.

4. bowersville says:

Do I go with ugly, uglier, ugliest or Fido’s butt?

I think I’ll go with Fido’s butt, though I don’t intend to find out it probably smell’s the worst.

Republican runoff = Fido’s butt.

5. rightofcenter says:

Ditto!!!!!!!!

How unfortunate that a once excellent website has deteriorated to the point that it has become a joke.

Erick can blame himself.

• bowersville says:

Oh I think there is enough blame to go around on all sides, me included. It was once described to me that modern politics is todays equivalent to the ancient day blood sports, it’s about survival of the fitest or the last one standing. Canes, duels and “carried out on a rail” used to be the way. Now it’s the internet.

An old adage in polite society is keep your politics, your religion and your sexual preference to yourself. In a Republican run-off we have all three, so it’s going to get ugly. There’s a reason liquor isn’t sold on election day.

• Romegaguy says:

The binder has the working title of “Deal Breakers” or at least that is what a source told me

6. I Am Jacks Post says:

I’m watching the clock, waiting for Erick’s classic rapid-fire front page posts, where he buries unflattering Handel headlines under mountains of news about massage parlors in Macon, Mary Norwood, etc.

7. griftdrift says:

At least somebody will say it.

Don’t hear much about Rubio these days so you? Guess the “kingmaker” has moved on to more fertile ground.

8. Doctor Death says:

I feel a Crystal Palin wedding update post coming soon!

I hear Erick is going to be the best man!

• CobbGOPer says:

Karen would love to talk about legitimate issues, but she has to keep defending herself from social conservative asshats who apparently only vote based on your stance towards abortion and gay people. Nathan Deal wants to talk about Log Cabins. Karen wants to talk about jobs. So you do the math.

• Doctor Death says:

Cobb,

I am sorry you are still sore from your man McGinittie getting his a?? handed to him in the primary, but get over it!

• KingWulfgar says:

I’ll take corrupt over grossly incompetent any day. Karen’s last weeks of her campaign convinced me she isn’t fit to govern this state.

• Capt. Jack Sparrow says:

At least you admit Deal is corrupt.

New commercial idea: Music from COPS plays (“Bad Boyz, bad boyz, whatcha gonna do…”) while Nathan inspects a car. His grandkids can be in that one too. “Say it ain’t so Papa!”

• KingWulfgar says:

Well, we only have two choices at this point, so I’ve gotta pick the lesser of the evils.

We’ll have 3 to choose from in November (excluding any possible qualified write-in candidates).

• KingWulfgar says:

An addendum: He’s no more corrupt than 90% of the politicians in Washington or Atlanta. If this was something only Deal was guilty of, it might be cause for more concern, but it happens more than most Americans are willing to admit.

• ZazaPachulia says:

Hmm… grossly incompetent, grossly corrupt or King Roy?

Not a tough decision for me… If I could take time machine back two years and tell my former self “You’ll be 100-percent behind Roy Barnes for governor and DuBose Porter’s wife for Lt. Governor by July of 2010” I would have punched my time-traveling future self in the face.

But here we are…

• KingWulfgar says:

I’ll probably vote for John Monds. That way, I don’t have to vote FOR either Barnes or Deal/Handel.

9. John Konop says:

We should all be honest the whole issue is disingenuous in the GOP. And the truth is many in the party wink/wink at others while hoping some of the base does not take it too far.

The Truth:

We have a base of people who would have no issues with bread lines to stop IVF and stem-cell research even by private companies in a time we when are facing major economic issues.

We have a base people that have no ethical issues with a politician using his office to line his pockets as long as spews hate about gay people.

We have a base of people that want to play God with a 13 year-old rape victims.

I could go on and on…..

The sad part is the GOP was a thoughtful balance for policy verse the Democrats. Now some of the party has become driven by gut issues politics refusing to deal with reality of the situation. We need real adults focused on real solutions on both sides.

• ZazaPachulia says:

An excellent argument for adopting California-style open primaries in Georgia. There’s an excellent op-ed piece online that says the same thing from down in Pierce County… (Blackshear Times)

10. Progressive Dem says:

Water: not important to GOP candidates. Niether is transportation or education. This party would rather play a shell game on issues that governors can’t control and distract voters from meaningful issues and tough choices. Once again it’s the politics of personal destruction rather than a sober discussion of issues and solutions. It’s truly insulting to the intelligence of Georgia voters. Candidates need to be telling us: (A) How they are going to improve Georgia and (B) How they are going to pay for it.

• I Am Jacks Post says:

“Water: not important to GOP candidates”

That’s a false statement. I would suggest you’re not paying close attention.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

I’ve tried paying attention and all I’ve heard is abortion and gays..with tax breaks for special interest groups sprinkled in. I’ve hear nothing about transportation, water, education. Shoot, they hardly talk about the economy. We’re doomed. At least King Roy has given us some policy ideas.

• nast says:

Well, for a while, Oxendine did want to talk about plowing through some established intown Atlanta neighborhoods so folks could get to the airport faster. Hopefully we’ve heard the last of that.

11. Doctor Death says:

Icarus and Crew are trying to play word association.
    By continually using “red meat” buzzwords like PELOSI and WAXMAN they are trying to tie these to Deal.

It will not succeed. It is false, baseless and corrupt!

12. polisavvy says:

It’s waaaay past time for this type of garbage to end. I thank you, Jace, for your insight and totally agree with you. The real issues are what need to be discussed. I don’t consider abortion and gay issues to be the most pressing problems facing this state. They aren’t even blips on the radar, in my opinion.

13. Perfect Jace! Well said.

I recommend letting everyone get it out of their system. How about an open thread allowing people to post the most ridiculous and outrageous rumors about each candidate (with of course a disclaimer at the top that statements are deemed to be untrue and are for humor and satire purposes only)?

• You just described three-quarters of the threads on this site! It might be more appropriate to take your “Statements are deemed to be untrue and are for humor and satire purposes only” motto and swap it out with the “Fresh political pickins…” tagline in the site’s logo graphic.

• ZazaPachulia says:

You’re pretty much spot on, Mr. Perkins…

I personally think the tagline should be changed to “The Robespierre of Macon is here to remind you daily of the limits of the internets and the ongoing need for legitimate print journalism.”

14. janna says:

I’m just trying to figure out the gay Mexicans got knocked up. Did Deal have a handel in that?

15. Insider Mike says:

Jace, I think you’re confusing Peach Pundit with actual journalism. “Peach Pundit Front Page Posters aren’t Objective” is on par with “Politicians Are Motivated By Self-Interest” and “Zell Miller is Old” in the least-shocking headlines category.

• ZazaPachulia says:

Yup… Good point Insider Mike.

But members of our party have been trying to convince us for years that ‘actual journalism’ is mostly liberal garbage and the “new journalism” of Fox News, Breitbart, Blogs and chain emails is much more reliable and valuable.

So it’s understandable that some of us have trouble realizing exactly what this Website (and others like it) represent(s).

16. bowersville says:

Well, I know it’s off subject but Galloway is carrying a story that’ll actually become an issue for Barnes if true. AJC P/I

Seems someone may have stuffed the absentee ballot box in Brooks County and Terry Coleman is not ceding the election for whatever it is he ran for.

17. Harry says:

This is the allegation that bothers me:

Rep. Deal, along with his business partner Ken Cronan, owns a lucrative business, Recovery Services, Inc., that – through a no-bid contract – provides inspection stations to the state for the inspection of salvaged vehicles. The business earned $1.4 million between 2004-2008 and Rep. Deal personally took home $150,000 a year.

In 2008, Georgia Revenue Commissioner Bart Graham took over responsibility for the inspection system and found the operational costs and locations of the inspection stations to be too costly and restrictive. Comm. Graham decided the best course of action was to reform the system and award contracts through a competitive bidding process.

Rep. Deal and his staff, with assistance from Georgia Lieutenant Governor Casey Cagle, arranged meetings with Comm. Graham at which Rep. Deal and his chief of staff were present, to persuade him to reconsider his decisions, including the proposed elimination of $1.7 million that has been allocated for the program. After Comm. Graham’s plan was passed by the Georgia House, Rep. Deal’s chief of staff used his House email to contact Georgia state officials in an effort to stop the plan from passing the state Senate. The money for the program was eventually kept in the budget.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-14-most-corrupt-members-of-congress-who-arent-charles-rangel-2010-7#rep-nathan-deal-r-ga-4#ixzz0uoVZSSzw

• Doug Grammer says:

Key word is first sentence “allegation.” According to the actual report, not spun by crew, Congressman Deal expressed concern when the state decided to care more about money than safety. Congressman Deal could have kept his business going under the new regulations but decided not to do so. Also, no conclusion of wrong doing (or innocence) , just recommendation of further investigation.

• KariDee says:

@Doug Grammer
        Thank you for your honesty and integrity. I truly appreciate and respect your input. Even if you don’t vote for my candidate…….I would still say that you are one of my favorite bloggers……

• Doug Grammer says:

I think it’s best that I don’t say who I will vote for because I will be backing the GOP nominee 100% on August 10 around 9 to 10 PM. Thanks for the kind words.

• GOPwits says:

and he resigned to avoid that further investigation… Had he stayed, he’d be right there with Rangel!

• Lady Thinker says:

Harry,

This is more of the typical Deal behavior as is his Democrat/Republican flip-flop, his abortion for/against flip-flop, his ghetto grandmothers comments, his “I quit Congress, no, I change my mind, no I quit again,” as well as his trashing Karen with his abortion/gay mailers.

I think the real problem Deal has is that I have posted Karen’s views and he realizes her plan is better than his so he tries to draw blood from her to deflect the spotlight off him.

Typical corrupt Deal.

• Provocateur says:

“lucrative:” Reporter Buzzword meaning someone who runs a business that makes a profit. Used as a pejorative by left-wingers.

18. bartsimpsonisdaman says:

Hey dudes, what’s with you republicans. Leave the little lady alone. Geez. So what if she shacked up with a liquor store owner in Maryland a few years ago.

Pretty smart values and a killer deal on the liquor bill. Hmmm wonder if that how she got her posh “executive” job with a high school diploma. 😉

Vote Barnes, he’s ugly as hell and getting uglier by the day, but has never swapped wives with a legislator and never shacked up with a liquor store owner, but that’s a good idea, have to try that one.

• bartsimpsonisdaman says:

Rash, what rash? Too much information. All I’m pointing out is you republicans are sure having a problem with your zippers lately. Now the only gal, who was supposed to be straight laced Sally is now exposed to be Mustang Sally.
        How’s your rash?

• B Balz says:

You know the rash you got ….. easy, just a bit of humor. Durn lib’rals have NO sense of humor.

Gonna take more than your typically crass in-your-endo about Ms. Handel to make a difference. What is your latest scandalous accusation?

Dated a man who owned a likker store before moving to GA? Spill or zip it.

• bartsimpsonisdaman says:

We can party with the best of them. Makers Mark for me. This is too good.

Bad boys bad boys whatcha gonna do…… Chang chang chang…. Mustang Sally…..

19. macho says:

The problem for Nathan is he can talk about how much more conservative he’s become on abortion, but when he tries to tag Karen on voting for abortion funding and he actually voted to fund actual abortions, it reeks of hypocrisy. Voters can’t stand hypocrisy.

• B Balz says:

macho: Nothing personal, but your screen persona is lying out of its’ stinkin’ video port.

As the next 2 1/2 weeks unfold we will see more desperate attacks like this, against two essentially good people. “Thou shall not…” has taken a leave of absence, nauseating really.

From making nasty, cloaked references about one candidate’s body and past, to blatant lies such as this post.

Two numbers: Burn them into your collective minds

Roy Barnes easily won the nomination with 66% of the vote,
      Carol Porter – 69.6%

Solidarity v. Discord

We see bickering, biting, scathing, ad hominem attacks of the nastiest sort. The voters see discord v. harmony. D’ya think undecided voters see discord v. harmony???

• bowersville says:

D’ya think undecided voters see discord v. harmony?

Of course they do. Not only do the undecideds see it so do the decided.

Ladys and Gentleman, solidarty has left the building.

• B Balz says:

Courtesy: Don McLean

“…The father, son, and the holy ghost,
          They caught the last train for the coast
          The day the music died….”

20. WCHeadhunter says:

Wait just a damn minute! Why would a gay mexican need an abortion? Aren’t those people catholic?