Good Email from Allen Peake

This went out this morning from Rep. Peake:

I am writing today to issue a challenge to my Georgia Republican friends.

Last Friday, I announced my support for a candidate in the runoff for the Republican Governor’s race. Anytime one takes a stance for a candidate, we fully understand fully that there will be others who choose the other candidate, who will not be happy, and in fact, may be disappointed or even mad at the choice made. Some even may say that if their candidate doesn’t win, they will not vote for the Party nominee, or might even possibly vote for the Democrat in November.

I have a simple request. Let’s all understand that there are various reasons why a person chooses to back a particular candidate – geographic, personality, alignment with certain policies, promises made to support them, maybe even something as simple and understandable as friendship. Let’s appreciate and respect those reasons in our fellow Republican supporters and fight with honesty and fairness to help our candidate win. It should, after all, be about our candidate of choice, not the other candidate.

And when it is over, and it will be over on August 10, let’s pledge that we will rally behind the candidate nominated, and focus on the real prize β€” the general election in November.

I make that pledge personally, that if my candidate does not win, I will support our nominee with all my time, energy, and financial resources.

Sometimes we kid ourselves that the other candidate is just as bad as the Democrat. There are real issues at stake in this election and this is no time to kid ourselves. Our nominee, whoever it will be, will be far better than what the Democrats are offering.

We must not lose sight of the end game – Beat Barnes in November. We do not want his Obama economics with higher taxes to pay for all his promises, and his liberal, government control of everything policies dominating our state – it will be an economic disaster, similar to what the Obama/Pelosi/Reid policies have done to our country.

May the best candidate win on August 10, and then let’s fully and enthusiastically support our nominee to Beat Barnes in November.

I hope you will join me in making this commitment.

1. zigmaster says:

This letter is about 15 days too early. Take off your little green Handel panties and fight like a man. πŸ™‚

• ReaganRepublican says:

“there are various reasons why a person chooses to back a particular candidate – geographic, personality, alignment with certain policies, promises made to support them, maybe even something as simple and understandable as friendship.”

No mention of God? Have you lost your bearings of what is truly important Allen?

• polisavvy says:

Just curious — what do “panties” have to do with the election? I’m voting for Handel and it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that both of us wear panties. That may rate up there as one of the most ridiculous comments posted on here in a long time. Inquiring minds want to know — panties and politics. What’s the correlation?

2. HowardRoark says:

Sorry, Allan…try again. Few things wrong here. In a conservative state like Georgia it is entirely possible to have a Republican nominee worse than the Democrat. And also, Barnes first term had a fiscal record roughly equal to (if not better than) Sonny’s.

Never bought the Unity! mantra. There IS a right and wrong candidate in a primary. If the party chooses the wrong person, might need to look around and see what else is out there.

• Tireless says:

Roger that. I heard the same crap when the repub’s wanted me to vote for Maverick McCain. Handel is no different, maybe even worse than Maverick. If she wins the nomination, I will not vote for her. I would rather lose standing on principle than win by electing a person I truly dislike.

Lastly, these calls for unity give candidates a green light to unethically rip to shreds their opponents based on the belief we will support them in the future. I am not going to reward bad behavior by voting for the unethical twit.

• Lady Thinker says:

Handel, Romney, and Palin are Republicans, Obama is a Democrat like corrupt Deal used to be before he decided that being a Republican was more popular.

• ReaganRepublican says:

If the republican Party betrays the Christian right, we do not show up. It is not about the GOP for us, it is about standing up for God’s values. The dems left us along time ago. The republicans either need to walk the talk by putting God first, or we will not be motivated to show up.

• Pine Knot says:

I agree. Redistricting is with upon us. We can not let Barnes in there. I’m not a Handel fan AT ALL, but I will support her however I can, and believe it or not, if Ox was the nominee I would have supported him over Barnes. He would be Conservative I believe, and we would have had some a clown to laugh at, although it would have been at the expense of the GOP unfortunately, but we must defeat Roy. Good video put out by the State GOP today.

• ReaganRepublican says:

I am with you tireless. I am a republican because they claim to stand up for my values. The day they leave my values I will leave the party. Handel does not carry my values, and there is no way I would ever vote for her. Peake has betrayed the pro life vote, we will not forget.

• If you were a real “ReaganRepublican” you’d remember that he said:

The person who agrees with you 80 percent of the time is a friend and an ally β€” not a 20 percent traitor.

If Roy Barnes represents your values more than Handel, then by all means vote for him, but you better change your moniker ’cause it makes a liar out of you.

• ReaganRepublican says:

There are things called fatal errors. One fatal error and you score 0%, no matter what you say or do. Handel and Romney have several fatal errors making them scrap.

• What about the Flying Spaghetti Monster’s values? Huh? What about him? And what about Zeus and Apollo? Shouldn’t we avoid compromising and betraying their values as well?

• Doug Grammer says:

David,

Do you really find it required to mock someone else’s faith just because it doesn’t match yours?

• Doug, when someone is talking about legislating based on their faith then yes, I do. See this other quote from RR…

“If the republican Party betrays the Christian right, we do not show up. It is not about the GOP for us, it is about standing up for God’s values. ”

If someone wants to impose their religious beliefs on other people through government then perhaps they need to find another country. Am I mistaken or wasn’t that one of the primary reasons people fled to these shores in the first place… freedom from government interference in peoples’ religion or lack thereof?

• I don’t think agreeing to disagree works with certain types of people. I’ll agree to disagree with LT, you and a variety of other people. People who continuously ram their religion into government and legislation… not so much. If they think their religion should interfere with government then why shouldn’t government interfere in their religion?

Why don’t we push for a law that tells churches how long their services can be because nobody should have to sit through a two hour sermon?

What about a law to make women cover their heads when they pray? That’d be great, wouldn’t it? After all, 1 Corinthians 11 says: 11:5 But any woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered disgraces her head, for it is one and the same thing as having a shaved head. 11:6 For if a woman will not cover her head, she should cut off her hair. But if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, she should cover her head.”

Or what about outlawing men wearing pastel shirts and ties to church? After all, aren’t pastels a gay thing? You certainly don’t want to be considered gay at church… that’s only okay the other 6 days of the week, just like alcohol.

Sorry Doug, I’ll agree to disagree with you here… but not ReaganRepublican. πŸ™‚

• polisavvy says:

What a wonderfully written post! David, unfortunately, there are some on here who would argue with a fence post. You’ll never win with them.

• justpeachy says:

Are you choosing to ignore that Deal voted YES to HR670 which helped fund abortions. The lies produce about Handel by Dan Becker, Deal & Oxendine they try to prove she’s not conservative but if you actually do your own research and not rely on political propaganda you’ll find she is a true conservative. Deal cannot beat Barnes. I’d encourage you to do your homework from legitimate sites and call Karen’s office to find out her posistions don’t rely on the other candidate to tell you what she believes in.

• Ambernappe says:

Too bad you were not available to cast the first stone. I am a conservative Christian and realize my responsibility to cast a vote in elections. If you are not happy with the selections please tell us what you are doing to recruit acceptable candidates – it is not a one day operation. Is anyone keeping you from speaking your values?

• amor patriae says:

If you want to vote for someone you can support 100%, someone who has exactly your values and beliefs, someone who will always do what you think is right, then write yourself in. Don’t expect “the party” (any party) to toe your line all the time.

• SFrazier says:

Peake, Do you think you are above reproach? How ridiculous. The only honorable rep in the area is my rep from Peach County, Tony Sellier. I feel sorry for you all in Bibb, you are represented by a bunch of crooks that only look out for themselves.

3. zigmaster says:

Via Facebook

“Allen Peake: Many of you have asked who I am supporting for Governor in the Runoff. And my clear choice is KAREN HANDEL. And I am doing it proudly, because, despite what her opponents are saying, she is a VERY STRONG PRO-LIFE, CONSERVATIVE. She is tough as nails, and has what it takes to beat Barnes in the Fall. I hope you will join me in supporting her.”

EXAGGERATION: the act of doing or representing in an excessive manner; a going beyond the bounds of truth reason, or justice; a hyperbolical representation; hyperbole; overstatement.

• I Am Jacks Post says:

“Tough as nails.”

Yeah, her playing the GRTL “make them stop talking about me” victim card says otherwise.

• SFrazier says:

Be careful Jacks, I heard Karen” Mustang Sally” Handel use to box as well. I know your opponent accused you of some liquor scandal a few years ago when Graves stepped down. Was mustang Sally connected in any way?

4. DoubleDawg3 says:

I respect Rep. Peake…but I’d much rather have the endorsement of the General Assembly members and community leaders that backed Eric Johnson, John Oxendine and Jeff Chapman campaign in Cobb County, which is exactly what Nathan Deal got today. Glad to see Chip Rogers, John Wiles, Lindsey Tippins, Judy Manning and Ed Setzler all come on board.

5. Tiberius says:

Wow, the utter anger and cynicism on this board. No wonder even active GOPers do not value so many of the opinions here because they are rife with utter hatred and disregard for anyone else’s thoughts.

I can only imagine what the casual voter (you know the people who make up 95% of that 680,00 who voted GOP on Tuesday) would think if they read this on a daily basis. It would only convince them further that politics is full of cooks, nuts and lifeless people.

Eric Johnson said politics is show business for ugly people. I think he gave us too much credit. Might need to lower the standards a bit.

• NoTeabagging says:

@Tiberius. They don’t have to read it hear. They only have to watch the Repbublican TV campaign sideshow and they’ll see plenty of Kooks, nuts and lifeless people.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

You must be new here. PP has been in a constant downward spiral for some time now. But, there’s hope; next year is not an election year πŸ™‚

• Doug Grammer says:

And then who will you vote for if there’s less than 5% diffeernce between the GOP nominee and Barns? Mr. Monds might get 5% and force a run off. Will you vote in the general run off?

6. bartsimpsonisdaman says:

Bring it on πŸ˜‰ bad boys bad boys, talkin bout the bad bad boys, toot toot hey beep beep…..

7. GOPwits says:

This site has gone a little loco as of lately and become a little over the top…

I will say that I’m surprised that Deal’s knee jerk resignation from Congress, his ethics investigation and the facts released in the report and the corruption alleged aren’t bigger issues and concerns of the GOP, especially those who have to share a ballot with him. Voters won’t give that much corruption a pass.

It really makes me question the integrity of some of the office holders that we have when they give that much corruption a pass, when they are some of the first to make noise at Democrats when the same accusations are made.

8. Glen Ross says:

Before I vote for either in the general, I will need some information from each. From Nathan Deal, I will need a copy of his long form birth certificate proving he was born in the US. From Handel, I will need a copy of her private sector resume complete with detailed job descriptions and references.

9. rightofcenter says:

As a reader if Peach Pundit since its inception, I was quite aware that there are some nutcases who post on a regular basis. I just never imagined that there would come a time when there was a preponderance of nutjobs. I’m voting for Deal, but I respect Allen Peake’s plea for civility and unity. Anyone who would vote for Barnes, sit out the election, or waste a vote on Monds (unless they are a committed libertarian) over their legalistic “principles” will deserve the government we get if that mentality leads to a Barnes II administration with veto power over redistricting.