Fair Tax Friday: The Runoff

Among the worst of my predictions from Monday was that Clay Cox would be the front runner and may take CD-7 without a runoff. There is a runoff, and he’s not in it.

The buzz around that race, at least here, was very quiet. Most who chose to comment were in the camp of either Cox, who place 3rd, or Chuck Efstration, who placed 5th.

The runoff is now between Linder’s Chief of Staff and FairTax book co-author Rob Woodall, and evangelical Tea Partier Jody Hice.

I can see how Boortz and the FairTax crowd pushed Woodall into his position. My guess is that the Tea Party and some earned media over Hice’s Obama/Hammer & Sickle billboards provided Hice his momentum.

That’s about all I have time for today on a quick lunch break, and I’m still not sure I have a handle on CD-7, so I’ll leave this one open for discussion.

How’s the runoff here shaping up? Are there other “local” issues affecting this race that I’m missing? What are the candidates strenghts/weaknesses? What else do we need to know about CD-7?

1. GaConservative23 says:

I was a big Cox supporter, but I have to go with Woodall now.

Hice just gives off too much of the “far right-wing Christian fundamentalist nutjob” vibe.

And I’m a Conservative and a Christian.

2. Woodall is using the George H.W. Bush ’88 campaign strategy. Bush in ’88 was in a good position because he was the Vice President of a very popular President. He promised to continue on the same course as his predecessor did. And he won.

Woodall, as Linder’s Chief of Staff, was very close to Linder and he’s doing exactly what Bush did in ’88: promising to continue the course of his predecessor. And the strategy is working for him.

3. ummm-duh says:

There is no undying allegiance to Linder in the 7th, as far as I know, but the Boortz/FairTax thing was obviously the difference-maker for Woodall, as he sent out a mailer the weekend before Tuesday highlighting that fact.

Hice has national exposure from his Ten Commandments case against the ACLU & his stand against the IRS silencing the First Amendment rights of pastors on political issues. Certainly the splashy billboards thing helped, though he clearly had a large grassroots following from Christian groups and his radio show listeners.

If Hice is able to paint Woodall as a classic Washington insider, someone who hasn’t actually lived in the 7th District in years but in D.C., he wins.

If Woodall is able to ride the FairTax/star-power wave to the finish, he wins.

Both men are extremely smart and talented. The 7th will be served well either way. The problem with Cox was that he didn’t represent anything worthwhile in terms of potential contribution to Congress. Either Woodall or Hice would be a national voice for their respective domains (FairTax/conservative social issues), whereas a Congressman Cox would have largely just been another down-the-line vanilla Republican vote, otherwise not noteworthy.

In the GA-7 press club debate, Hice was able to draw out the crux of Cox’s problems when he asked Cox what he had done outside of politics, in the real world, that exhibited courage and real leadership. Cox couldn’t think of anything, and so he answered about politics. That moment defined his loss for me and is the reason Hice & Woodall prevailed in the primary.

4. Harry says:

The Fair Tax can never be implemented, because it requires too much documentation and auditing of who would be eligible for the “pre-bates”. The overall cost of administration would be very high, and the tax rate would have to be very high in order to cover the administration and pre-bates, while leaving some new proceeds to run the federal government. I like the aspect of the disincentive on consumption (we have too much consumption IMHO), but it’s just not a practical replacement solution. Politicians who understand such objections but still advocate for the Fair Tax are in effect using the argument to simply gather votes of the less informed. A Flat Tax might be a simpler, more easily administered alternative, but no public figure is pushing the Fair Tax in this country, other than Dick Armey. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQXy4BpmH6I

Rob Woodall is just another DC resident who wants to continue having a DC meal ticket. We don’t need the status quo.

• Harry says:

new = net
      no public figure is pushing the Fair Tax in this country = no public figure is pushing the Flat Tax in this country

5. ACCmoderate says:

As a resident of Paul Broun’s 10th District, PLEASE vote for Rob Woodall. We already have one member of the Georgia delegation that throws around “socialist” and “communist” to get a rise out of people rather than substatially debating the issues.

Please don’t elect Paul Broun version 2.0.

6. In The Arena says:

I was disappointed to see Clay Cox lose like he did. He had a real understanding of the menacing issues facing the 7th district. One of these issues being the Magnuson ruling. Linder never did much to solve Gwinnett’s water crisis, but at least Woodall is familiar with the situation and would come in day 1 ready to continue where Linder left off. I am not sure Jody Hice is even aware that Gwinnett is due to have its water shut off in 1 year, 359 days.

7. Doug Deal says:

If I still lived in that district, ring me up as none of the above.

The Farie Tax, with it’s magical properties, is a horrible idea for so many reasons (that’s what I want, the Federal government involved in auditting my spending patterns instead of just my income, and a monthly check to all households from the Government, how could that be bad?).

Running on the Ten Commandments is just nuts-o.

8. Tea Party Man says:

I think people are tired of the politically correct Washington insiders like Woodall. Having searched the tax records he appears to not own a home in the 7th district. We do not need Business as Usual. Jody Hice has my vote as well as most of the Tea Party people.

9. I guess I’ll have to take Woodall over Hice in the runoff… since “Crazy Preacher” is a bit worse for me than “Another Do-Nothing Guy Leaning on the FairTax Crutch Forever”. However, neither option has me the least bit excited. It’s a shame that ballot access laws make it almost impossible to field a Libertarian in Georgia congressional races… for the general election I guess my protest vote will go to whichever sacrificial lamb the Dems put up.

I sure wish that my district would move past this FairTax cult mentality and care about anything else. Even if you like the idea, you have to recognize that it’s going nowhere and that no one outside of Boortz’s airspace cares. It’s long since become a Ron Paul “return to the gold standard!” kind of issue.

• Fred Smulavich says:

I would hardly consider “Southern Baptist” a cult. You’re pretty good at demagoguery for an internet shill. You need a promotion, I think.

• ACCmoderate says:

Why is it unfair to call Southern Baptists a cult? I hear the folks on Hannity’s show all week calling Islam a cult.

• Fred Smulavich says:

Oh, don’t be stupid. Both are wrong, and didn’t your momma ever teach you that two wrongs don’t make a right?

• Chris says:

I wasn’t talking about the Southern Baptist religion, I was referring to his specific church, which seems to be more interested in the affairs of Caesar than the affairs of God.

Islam isn’t a cult. Worshiping a dead guy as your leader doesn’t make you a cult. Worshiping a living guy whose in it for earthly enrichment is a cult.

And the kool-aid.

• Harry says:

A person who lives in DC could be considered a cult member too, as they are interested in the affairs of Caesar and it’s their religion. Anyway, I haven’t decided who to vote for between them. I’d like to catch a couple more debates.

• seenbetrdayz says:

“A person who lives in DC could be considered a cult member too, as they are interested in the affairs of Caesar and it’s their religion”

+.1.

10. Dacula voter says:

I voted for Cox. Had connection with him through GAC (which is where Efstration went to school I believe). Campaign seemed to be well organized, had the signs out there, won the straw polls, etc. Not exactly sure where he went wrong- thinking being the only sitting politician prolly hurt him more so than it usually would. He’s not a real inspiring guy or anything, but I didn’t Woodall was either.

But Woodall certainly did a good job of riding the Linder/ Bortz coattails and I expect him to win given what he got the first go around. I knew Hice was going to be strong in the outlining areas, but the fact that he was about neck and neck with Cox in Gwinnett was pretty surprising to me.

That said, listening to “moderates” on here bash Hice made my decision to support him even easier.

11. TidePrideGA says:

I voted for Cox as well and I have no idea what went wrong, but in a world where Melvin Everson gets beat 2:1 (Melvin’s my current State House Rep) who knows what the heck is going on? Woodall has my support in the runoff. I’m not a big fan of Linder’s but Hice scares me for the reasons mentioned above. And Rob has the personable factor all over Congressman Linder so there’s that. I would expect Woodall to win walking away, but then I expected Melvin to win 2:1. I know nothing, and readily admit it.