No Ox Makes Gov Race Interesting

I text a buddy of mine who was working on Deal’s campaign as a volunteer three days ago. The text said “Handel/Deal runoff. Bank on it.” Many of us on these boards foresaw what occurred on election night. I travelled back up to Northwest Georgia 2 weeks ago and kept hearing people discussing Ox’s ethical issues. Normally our media market is the last to get the word of mainstream Atlanta news because we are so close to Tennessee. So when I heard my family, friends, and neighbors discussing the Ox, I knew he was finished. The news resonated well enough throughout Georgia to allow Eric’s spike in the polls to come to fruition, and I’m glad it happened. The last thing I wanted was Ox to be anywhere near the Governor’s mansion.

So election night reflected polls taken in the last week. Handel won the night, but I know her campaign, and no one in Georgia, is counting Deal out. Deal’s campaign was one that wouldn’t die, a “zombie campaign” to borrow a phrase. And now he stands to capitalize on voters in rural Georgia and Ox and Johnson supporters If he’s able to do this, Karen could be the one with an uphill battle.

I’m curious to see if either Johnson or Ox endorse Karen or Deal. But this may end up looking like a battle of the endorsements soon enough. Handel continues to gain support from other governors, but Deal will have  most of the G-7 on his side, with the exception of Price. I’m interested to see how the race will shape up as Handel and Deal duke it out for the elusive votes of their past opponents.

Feel free to use this as an OPEN THREAD on the GOP Gov Runoff.

1. Tireless says:

I am not certain OX or EJ will make a big headline splash by supporting Deal. I am certain both of those candidates prefer Deal over the honesty-challenged Handel. There wasn’t much difference between the campaign platforms of Deal, Johnson and OX. There is a huge difference between Handel’s wishy washy liberal positions and the positions shared by the other three candidates. At the end of the day a vote for Handel is a vote for Barnes. If the state wants a liberal in the Governors mansion, go ahead and pick an honest liberal like Barnes.

• John Konop says:

Tireless,

Please help us understand the differences on fiscal issues between Handel and Deal? As far as the gay bashing, studies do show must people who promote this are closet gay people frustrated with their life. If you are gay must of will not judge you. And the banning of stem-cell research for private business is a fiscally liberal position not conservative.

• Tireless says:

Why are you obsessed with gay bashing? It’s only the internet, stop taking everything so personally. Like you said, most of us will not judge you.

The problem with guessing Handel’s fiscal policy positions is the simple fact she is a pathological liar. Her positions change depending upon the office she is seeking or the audience she is addressing at the moment. If she is elected Governor, I imagine her support for Planned Parenthood would rebound, her support for gay benefits would rebound, her support for your much coveted stem cell research would rebound……….heck, she would probably support an amnesty program and ObamaCare. Apparently she and her new buddy, Mitt RomneyCare, are reading off the same page.

• CobbGOPer says:

The pathological liar is not Karen in this equation, it’s you.

“I imagine her support for Planned Parenthood would rebound…” Firstly, it wasn’t support, she voted to approve block funds from the FEDERAL government that were earmarked for PP anyway (In other words, they were getting the money regardless). They went to an Atlanta PP office that ISN’T ALLOWED to do abortions, all the office does is family plannning and some basic pre-natal medical tests.

Secondly, “You imagine?” As in, you have no proof or statements to support your “imagination?” She voted against domestic partner benefits as Fulton County Commish Chair. What other evidence that she doesn’t support that issue (aside from the numerous public statements she’s made to that effect) do you need? She was asked to vote on it, and she voted against it. Case closed.

“She would probably support an amnesty program and ObamaCare.” You’re obviously a Deal plant. If you’ve been living in this state during the primary race, you’d know that Karen is endorsed by Arizona governor Jan Brewer, so she’s in the right camp on immigration. As for ObamaCare, she’s made statements against that too.

But then again, you’re just a troll, I shouldn’t even respond to your nonsense because you don’t care about dialogue, just smearing the other guy. Liar.

• polisavvy says:

John, would you please answer me what the big deal is about gays? I mean they are members of society just like the rest of us. They are voters just like the rest of us. Rather someone approves of gays and their chosen lifestyle is one thing — to think their votes don’t count is quite another. I think this whole gay issue is totally ridiculous. Some of the nicest people I have ever known were gay. Also, I had the absolute best babysitter who was gay. This is 2010, not 1950. People need to accept and move one, in my opinion.

• CobbGOPer says:

The sad part is, you yawn about the fact that Nathan Deal is a criminal who used his position as a Congressman to enrich himself and his cronies. With YOUR tax dollars.

But please, go back to sleep, and don’t wake up until after August 10, you obviously have no business in a voting booth if you’re willing to turn the party and state over to criminals.

• HowardRoark says:

It takes courage to stand up to people when they’re wrong. Even if it’s the former Congressman from your district. Doug Grammer has no courage. He only has borderline Communist levels of party loyalty.

• Joshua Morris says:

Go do some research on CREW–who’s running it and who’s financing them–and then come back and tell us who’s “corrupt”.

• GOPGrassroots says:

History has been made folks!

Joshua Morris has a post that doesn’t bash Tom Graves!

🙂

• KariDee says:

The fact is CobbGOPer…..is that you have NO IDEA what you are talking about. NONE, WHAT SO EVER. As soon as you go and educate yourself fully on the business, then you can continue to bash Mr. Deal…..but on different…..made up…..subject matter. Or……..just get on here and say vote LIAR Handel over and over. I think we could all stomach that a little better at this point.

• Doug Grammer says:

KarieDee,

Get fired up! LOL For the record, my support of KarieDee’s comment is that CobbGOPer doesn’t know what he’s/she’s talking about.

I wouldn’t resort to calling Sec. Handel, LIAR Handel though.

We can do better by making our points without name calling.

• Doug Grammer says:

What’s he been convicted of? CobbGOPer is a criminal. It’s been said about you now. Does that make it true?

2. NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

I wouldn’t expect Johnson or Oxendine to endorse Handel after she sent out mailers criticizing them and Deal all at once.

Will there be a debate between just Deal and Handel? Since McBerry won’t be there, Handel can attend. It would be nice to see Deal and Handel one on one before the runoff.

• Icarus says:

Kari,

Might be interested to note that the Thursday before the primary, there was a McBerry-less debate in Warner Robbins.

Karen showed up. Deal sent an email minutes before the debate began saying he wouldn’t due to unforseen circumstances.

Karen’s not the one afraid of that debate.

• KariDee says:

Icarus,

Also interesting to note, one of the ONLY debates Mr. Deal missed. It was the other, more public debates that Karen was afraid to show up at.

• Lady Thinker says:

Kari,

You obviously can’t see that Karen has had to be tough as nails to get where she is and she isn’t the fourth most corrupt Congress person.

As for BRING IT ON, Karen did, she scored 12 points higher than your corrupt Deal. I bet she even carried YOUR county, instead of your done Deal.

• KariDee says:

I am a proud voter in Hall County……
                      Votes for Deal– 12,533
                      Votes for Handel–3,089

I can’t wait for the next debate….we’ll see who brings “it” then.

• Lady Thinker says:

Kari,

Is that the best you can do?

Karen carried 61 counties and got 231,959 of the votes or 34.1% while
                      Nathan Deal only got 38 counties with 155,920 in votes or 22.9% of the total votes cast. Karen is doing a great job of “BRINGING IT ON” and taking Georgia by storm.

• Doug Grammer says:

As I said before, it doesn’t matter how many counties either of the carried, just who can get to 50% + 1 first.

• Doug Grammer says:

On that note, I’ll announce that there will be a post primary debate this Saturday in Dalton, Georgia. As far as I know, it is the first post primary debate.

This will be hosted by the Ninth District GOP and all statewide candidates in a run off have confirmed they will attend, in addition to the Ninth District Congressional candidates in a run off.

Congressman Deal, Sec. Handel; Com. Olens, Sen. Smith; Sen. Hudgens, Mrs. Sheffield; Mr. Echols, and Sen. Douglas; Congressman Graves, and Sen. Hawkins will all be there.

More details can be found at http://www.gagop9.com.
              I sent this info in via the tip line two days ago, but I guess it got lost or wasn’t considered newsworthy.

Oh well. Now you know!

3. biagio bruno says:

Handel has already been the subject of some brutal negative ads from Ox and Deal, Deal can’t go more negative on Handel than whats already been out there.
    None of the other candidates attacked Deal. If Handel has the money there are some cruel negative ads waiting to be made about Deal. The ethics report alone. We’ll see whether or not he’s real when the first negative ad goes on tv. Handel was hit hard and is still standing. can deal real take a punch

• polisavvy says:

I think that the “brutal attack ads” actually ended up working in her favor. A lot of people are turned off by those tactics.

4. Bugs Dooley says:

I will definitely vote for the Republican nominee, whomever it is, in November.
    But if it’s Deal and he continues to run the ugly, social-issue driven campaign that he has been the support will be no more than just a vote. Gay-bashing and immigrant scapegoating will hurt the GOP in the long run. We get away with it now because of the older folks in the party who make up the voting majority, but the day will come when past contributions to candidates like Deal or Ox will be a huge black mark. I will tolerate it over Barnes, but the support is about a quarter-inch deep.

5. Tiberius says:

An economic theme runoff debate will help us in November.

The inevitable social debate we are driving towards will only cost us. It is not like the Legislature is going to pass any socially “liberal” bills anyway. And I don’t see Ben Harbin or Jack Hill passing any Planned Parenthood money in the budget either. As a former state Senator, Deal should know that.

• Lady Thinker says:

Meeting you was my second wish and you “made my night. Ahhhhhhhhh”

All kidding aside, it was great putting a face with the name and I am glad one of my friends pointed you out to me. You are nice and intelligent and handsome. Too bad I’m not 20 years younger.

6. John Konop says:

Rangal and Deal are they the same?

Will Nathan Deal call for Charlie Rangal to resign or will him defend Rangal? And will Deal use the same defense for Rangal he used for himself?

Rangel faces charges of breaking congressional rules

by Kyle Wingfield

Via McClatchy, not the kind of news that will help Democrats’ case in November:

WASHINGTON — Embattled Rep. Charles Rangel, the former chairman of the powerful House Ways and Means Committee, committed an undisclosed ethics violation, a House investigatory subcommittee determined Thursday.

Congressional officials knowledgeable with the ethics process said the exact nature of the violation — or violations — won’t be publicly revealed until Rangel goes before an eight-person adjudicatory subcommittee of the House Committee on Standards of Official Conduct next Thursday to state his case.

The formation of subcommittee, which will consist of four Democrats and four Republicans, is rare. The last time one was convened was in 2002 to handle the case of former Rep. James Traficant, D-Ohio, who was under investigation in connection with bribery, racketeering and tax evasion convictions.
    Traficant was expelled from Congress, served seven years in prison and unsuccessfully tried to get …

Continue reading Rangel faces charges of breaking congressional rules »