Georgia Right To Life Supports Candidate Who Voted For Major Abortion Funding

July 22, 2010 20:14 pm

by Erick · 114 comments

Hypocrisy, thy name is Georgia Right to Life.

Today, Georgia Right to Life attacked Georgia gubernatorial candidate Karen Handel for funding Planned Parenthood when Handel chaired the Fulton County Commission in Georgia.

The funding had actually been approved before Handel got there and the money was designated for cancer screenings with Planned Parenthood doing the cancer screenings instead of the county.

You can read more here and will note that Georgia Right to Life threw in some gratuitous and unneeded nonsense on Sarah Palin and her son with Down Syndrome.

Contrast this Nathan Deal, who Georgia Right to Life is supporting. The money that was spent by Fulton County while Karen Handel chaired the commission went to do cancer screenings. In Congress, Nathan Deal voted for Henry Waxman sponsored legislation to give $500 million to Planned Parenthood to pay for actual abortions.

In Georgia Right to Life’s world, Nathan Deal voting to fund actual
abortions is better than Karen Handel presiding over a commission that
had voted to use Planned Parenthood as a cervical and breast cancer
screening provider for indigent women.

galiberal July 22, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I love it when you Republicans eat your own! Go Barnes!

Rick Day July 22, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Dammit Dude!

That is my line!

AthensRepublican July 22, 2010 at 11:25 pm

It is bad when many Republicans (myself included) are both undecided in the run-off and undecided in the general election.

B Balz July 23, 2010 at 6:47 am

And so the ‘squishy middle’ may actually crossover and stop the actual good that the GOP can do, despite their social views? Could it happen with Eric, Icarus, and Tyler leading the way?

Perhaps, but they were right all along about Ox, so their cred is riding pretty high with me. We will get the GOP, and if the worst of it is they want to save babies, well, I am good with that.

I am less good with some of their other views, and that would cause me to cross over.

AthensRepublican July 23, 2010 at 8:58 am

It is their indifference to the economy and jobs that would make me cross over. At this point neither seem to care and have not demonstrated leadership on the campaign trail.

SFCWallace July 23, 2010 at 11:16 am

“…indifference to the economy and jobs …”
Dude!?! Where have you been? Have you actually listened to either one of them speak?

AthensRepublican July 23, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Yes, both of them. Granted I am not going to follow them around on the campaign trail but every time I see them on the news neither have mentioned it.

Pine Knot July 22, 2010 at 8:24 pm

NRTL is a more grounded organization. Nathan Deal has a 100% lifetime rating from the National Life to Right, as well as a A rating from the NRA. Nathan Deal is a conservative, and according to Eric Johnson, Karen Handel is the most liberal Republican in the race even before the primary.

GOPwits July 22, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Oh you Deal people… You really need to get in touch with reality.

Nathan Deal is a very corrupt career politician who fooled his North Georgia constituents for a long time while getting rich off of GA taxpayers…

The $500 million for abortions isn’t the only Deal vote that doesn’t square with his rhetoric. He also voted AGAINST parental notifications seeking an abortion.

Chris July 22, 2010 at 9:35 pm

You recall the bill and or the year?

B Balz July 23, 2010 at 6:48 am

Did you even know of this Bill until yesterday?

NoTeabagging July 22, 2010 at 10:34 pm

So Deal is endorsed by ‘right life’ and ‘right to kill’ groups. hmmm.

PS the ‘L’ word’ doesn’t scare me. In fact I see it a lot with Republican lies, “spread liberally.”

Chris July 22, 2010 at 8:26 pm

I’m waiting for Henry Waxman to chime in.

John Konop July 22, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Chris,

Ironically Henry Waxman was co-sponsor on the bill!

Henry Waxman July 22, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Erick is laughably wrong on this:

1.) The bill does not appropriate one single dime for anything, including abortion.

2.) Federal funding for elective abortion has been banned since 1976. (Erick, you might want to Google the “Hyde Amendment.”)

3.) Under the law, Title X funds prohibited in programs where abortion is a method of family planning. Family planning projects that receive Title X funds are closely monitored to ensure that federal funds are used appropriately and that funds are not used for prohibited activities such as abortion.

Henry Waxman July 22, 2010 at 11:53 pm

I’m glad you were waiting on me to chime in, Chris.

Doug Grammer July 25, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Has anyone checked to see if the poster Henry Waxman is correct?

I did, and this is from a pro-choice site.

“In September 1993, Congress rewrote the provision to include Medicaid funding for abortions in cases where the pregnancy resulted from rape or incest. The present version of the Hyde Amendment requires coverage of abortion in cases of rape, incest, and life endangerment. “

ready2rumble July 22, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Deal Real hypocrite

Henry Waxman July 22, 2010 at 11:51 pm

No, Erick just can’t read legislation.

Henry Waxman July 22, 2010 at 11:56 pm

And doesn’t know the law.

Henry Waxman July 22, 2010 at 11:57 pm

And doesn’t do any due diligence (i.e., basic research) before posting an attack piece.

Henry Waxman July 23, 2010 at 12:10 am

Erick, aren’t you a member of the Georgia Bar???

John Konop July 23, 2010 at 7:10 am

HW,

In all due respect what does the bill do in your opinion? You should know as a co-sponsor. :)

John Konop July 23, 2010 at 8:05 am

HW this is a summary of the bill Deal voted for. Once again in your view what did he vote for?

…..termination of pregnancy to individuals that request the information……..

Project Vote Smart’s Synopsis:

Vote to pass a bill that requires family planning projects receiving federal funding provide information concerning prenatal care and delivery, infant care, foster care, adoption and termination of pregnancy to individuals that request the information. Requires family planning projects that object to giving out such information on religious or moral grounds refer individuals to another service that will provide the information.

Highlights:

- Authorizes $470 million in grants and contracts for family planning services

- Authorizes $25.5 million for informational and educational materials for family planning projects and programs

- Authorizes $13.25 million in 1994 and 1995 for training grants and contracts to family planning projects and programs

- Requires any entity that performs abortions and receives federal funds to certify that it complies with any State law requiring parental notification

CobbGOPer July 23, 2010 at 9:37 am

It appears to be a bill very similar to what Handel voted on while at the Fulton Co. Commission.

I think Erick is trying to say that why is GRTL so down on Karen about that vote (as well as including rape and incest in her exceptions), when Nathan Deal seems to have voted for a bill that does the same thing?

Henry Waxman July 29, 2010 at 2:30 am
Pine Knot July 22, 2010 at 8:31 pm

It was a vote on a motion to recommit.

Pine Knot July 22, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Nm. Was looking at a different vote. Interesting that conservative Jon Kyl voted that way as well.

Jason July 22, 2010 at 8:34 pm
Pine Knot July 22, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Oh ok. That vote was in 1993.

John Konop July 22, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Pine Knot,

You are very loyal guy doing the best you can. Deal should be very appreciative of your effort. But an old saying is you cannot make chicken soup out of chicken turds. Hopefully when it is over we can have a beer and shake hands at a PP happy hour.

Pine Knot July 22, 2010 at 10:00 pm

When is the next? I would love to meet you John. Like I said before, I believe you have good intentions for the party, and I agree with a lot of your your points, but Karen is not a Conservative. She is a moderate. Nathan has been in Congress for over 13 years. Nathan is a true Conservative, and with anyone who has been in Congress that long, you can find a few votes that aren’t perfect.

John Konop July 22, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Pine Knot,

The next one I can make beers on me! I respect hard workers like you even when I disagree them!

Pine Knot July 22, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Thanks. When Nathan wins, open bar on me. Seriously though, I think that it is coming any day; Peach Pundit happy hour/Karen fundraisor. I’m two hours from Atlanta, but I plan to attend the next one so I can talk some sense into you “moderates” :)

Romegaguy July 23, 2010 at 10:38 am

so this bet will be like Debbie’s steak bets?

Jimbo July 22, 2010 at 10:38 pm

If Nathan Deal is a true Conservative, than I want no part of true Conservatism.

CobbGOPer July 23, 2010 at 9:39 am

I second that emotion.

Jason July 22, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Does it matter?

zigmaster July 22, 2010 at 9:05 pm

He was a democrat back then. Probably find a lot of dumb votes.

TPNoGa July 22, 2010 at 9:17 pm

So, Deal’s party affiliation dictates his principles?

Funny, I always thought your principles determined what party you joined, not the other way around.

NoTeabagging July 22, 2010 at 10:43 pm

It would seem that way, at least that’s all the media reports. Party in majority presents bill — minority party refuses to vote for it. Minority party afraid majority will take all the credit and get campaign contributions. Repeat on news for next three weeks. Do not report on merits of bill or alternatives. Repeat cycle with next legislation.

Always vote on Party lines. That’s America’s great democracy. No Progress. Thanks to our pathetic Political party system.

American Delight July 22, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Hypocrisy, thy name is Peach Pundit.

Off-topic warning.

In 2009, you all fulminated against SB 31 bill which allowed Georgia Power construction to be financed in part by ratepayers to save everybody more money in the long run.

Then reading the ballots one by one from the bloggers here in 2010, you all got in the tank for Sen. Douglas or Rep. May, both of whom supported SB 31.

Including you, Erick.

What gives, PP? Is hypocrisy a problem only when practiced by others?

Ron Daniels July 22, 2010 at 9:26 pm

You sure do like that word “all.”

Blanket Statement, thy name is American Delight.

(PS. I didn’t like SB 31 and I voted for May – If I let a single point of contention or even a few points of contention prevent me from voting for someone, I’d never get to vote.)

American Delight July 23, 2010 at 12:28 pm

If the blanket fits, wear it.

Ron Daniels July 23, 2010 at 11:08 pm

It doesn’t really fit all of us – I wasn’t a front page poster until this May. I resent being called a hypocrite and lumped in with others when there is a lack of factual evidence.

I wasn’t a fan of SB31. I still don’t like it.

And in the words of Fred G. Sanford, “if the shoe fits – shove it up your nose.”

Steve Perkins July 22, 2010 at 9:19 pm

The last couple of posts have been interesting. I guess GRTL is page one in “The Runoff Binder”?

Doug Deal July 23, 2010 at 12:53 am

It’s enough to send one on a bender.

SFCWallace July 23, 2010 at 11:26 am

I think the issue’s a “deadender.”

Romegaguy July 22, 2010 at 9:20 pm

That’s when he was supporting Dukakis and Clinton so it is ok

macho July 22, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Doesn’t matter what you really think, just matters what party you happened to be a member of at the time. Voted to fund abortions – that’s okay he was a Democrat back then.

B Balz July 23, 2010 at 10:36 am

Not personal, macho, but it must be easier to be simple.

Your persona cannot be the real you, because I am sure the real you can read.

Mind you, I am not stumping one candidate over the other, and will not.

This ham handed attempt to link Mr. Deal to a Bill that provided abortion information to those that asked for it is a far cry from ‘funding abortions’.

This week we witnessed a women ousted from her USDA job because a blogger cut and pasted a twenty year old speech making her look like a racist. This is the same type of tripe.

This ‘revelation’ is so lame, my guess is the Deal camp will not justify it with a response.

DO BETTER.

I Am Jacks Post July 22, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Erick,

Did Deal cast any similar votes after the time Handel finished attending High School? That was around 93, right?

Curious.

zigmaster July 22, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Has anyone seen the diploma?

biagio bruno July 22, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Yes. Its in your upper left desk drawer, under Obama’s birth certificate.

Capt. Jack Sparrow July 23, 2010 at 1:48 am

Based on the previous post (quoted below), making fun of age is a bad thing but jokes about intelligence is ok. Hmmmm. Pot have you met kettle?

““Deal is probably too senile to try.”
Ahhh, age jokes. Almost as funny as fat jokes.
Welcome to the 6th grade, dick.”

Welcome to the 5th grade, kitty.

Harry July 22, 2010 at 9:53 pm

This is a really good example of what sickens me about many politicians. They go along to get along, play the party line, trade votes for whatever. Maybe it got to be too much for Deal, maybe he perceived how the wind was blowing back in north Georgia and it gave him a chance to align his personal beliefs regarding abortion etc. with the party which best represented said beliefs. Who knows? Regarding changes of direction, we shouldn’t be too quick to impugn motives to either of them – Deal or Handel.

The more important question is, who is best equipped to lead the state and “bring it on” regarding much-needed efficiency and reform in state government? Karen Handel is, I believe. Deal is a very intelligent guy and a good public speaker, but we need new blood and new thinking. Karen is younger and more idealistic. She will come in with energy and ideas of how to best deal with massive challenges and opportunities faced by this state along with every other state.

DoubleDawg3 July 22, 2010 at 10:24 pm

I can tell you what Karen’s going to come in with…a legislature that would have rather seen Nathan Deal elected, because she’s openly criticized them as “good ole boys” despite the fact that the leadership has pretty much entirely changed. That should work out great for our state – a legislature and Governor that can’t play well together – look at how far that got us with Glenn & Sonny feuding.

Being objective here, do any of you really believe that Handel will be able to make more progress in moving our state forward then Deal? Deal will be able to work with House/Senate leaders from Day 1 on the job, to pass legislation that will benefit our state & its citizens.

Harry July 22, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Well, a lot of us out here in the grass roots think the legislature is still in need of additional serious reform. Just look at how the politicians followed the hospital lobbyists and gave them the bed tax after posturing for weeks that it wasn’t going to happen. It wouldn’t bother me a bit for Karen Handel to adopt an adversarial relationship with them. Progress happens through adversity and negotiation, out in the open, not good old boy backroom favor trading.

Jimbo July 22, 2010 at 10:41 pm

A lot of legislation DOES NOT benefit our state and citizens.

biagio bruno July 22, 2010 at 11:28 pm

He’s been in congress for 13 years. How’s that worked out for us?

zigmaster July 22, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Deal’s record on abortion and planned parenthood funding has been solid since at least 1995.

Pine Knot July 22, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I looked at the link, and I saw that he has got a 0 for all of the pro choice groups.

Henry Waxman July 29, 2010 at 2:33 am

It was also very solid in 1993 and 1993. The man has a 98% lifetime rating by National Right to Life.

Henry Waxman July 29, 2010 at 2:33 am

I meant 1993 and 1994.

Jane July 22, 2010 at 10:11 pm

If Karen frames this fight as between her and GARTL, she will lose because Deal will appear to the the only reasonable person in this room. If Deal ignores this and comes out as the toughest against illegal and the toughest against run away spending, he will also do well.

As to the wisdom of going mushy on social issues in order to win an election, this is a landslide year as long as the GOP did not nominate the OX they will win big. So why nominate a moderate on any issue.

B Balz July 23, 2010 at 6:53 am

Smart lady!

c_murrayiii July 22, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Sigh….this is really the kind of nonsense we’re gonna talk about regarding the Governor’s race? First, full disclosure, not that most of you care: If I was voting, I’d vote for Deal. Nothing against Karen, just know Deal better. Both are essentially the same, just different negs (ethics for Deal, honesty for Karen). Not saying she’s a liar, just…I don’t know. Anyway, I’m also pro-life, and I have a hard time accepting exceptions other than life of the mother, I understand why a woman would want to have an abortion following a rape, but a baby is a baby no matter how it was conceived. Regardless, I think abortion is about the dumbest topic to base a vote on and a silly topic for a governor’s race. Yes, the state can restrict abortions without banning them, but the real issue can only be solved by a reversal in the Supreme Court, which is at least 3-4 years off(I think it will never happen). SO, why is this what we are talking about with regards to the GOP run off? There are a lot of other issues far more important and far more relevant to the average voter’s life. I know Handel and Deal are about equal on most issues, but I want to hear their specific plans for their Governorship, should they be elected. I want details, and I want a debate on those details, like most Georgians. This is all just a silly circus. I’m actually embarrassed. My new state, Virginia, elected a very socially conservative Gov last year who never brought up social issues. He didn’t run away from them, he just knew what the voters wanted to hear about, his solutions to their relevant problems like transpo, infrastructure, the budget, and the schools. And he won big. The GA GOP could learn a lot from Bob McDonnell.

c_murrayiii July 22, 2010 at 10:28 pm

One more thing, the reason I care, despite being in VA, is that my whole family is in GA, and my heart will also always be there. Its home, and I want the best for her.

Jimbo July 22, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Be careful, c_murrayii. You might get excommunicated from the GOP for saying “liberal” things like that. If I said anything like that in my neck of the woods, I would be politically castrated.

Harry July 22, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Nobody has a perfect record. Hopefully the campaigns can start to discuss concrete policy differences.

B Balz July 23, 2010 at 6:55 am

A voice of reason, thank YOU!

CobbGOPer July 23, 2010 at 9:45 am

Just saying, Karen wouldn’t be talking about social issues or this abortion thing if Deal and GRTL didn’t keep bringing it up in the news. She would be talking about jobs.

B Balz July 23, 2010 at 10:40 am

There we go, mishandeling the press again…. Make it happen, don’t respond to your opponent. As I stated last week, Roy will walk her all over the board.

He already called for one-on-one debate. I can guarantee that will never happen with at least on of the two GOP candidates.

Tell me how you will attack the BILLION DOLLAR budget hole and leave my frozen set of cells alone.

Doug Grammer July 23, 2010 at 6:57 pm

They are debating tomorrow. http://www.gagop9.com

macho July 22, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Ouch! Looks like the Fulton County funding issue just got deep-sixed.

I Am Jacks Post July 22, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Deal’s vote was almost 20 years ago. Can-do Karen voted in favor of Planned Parenthood right about the same time they shot the photo she’s putting on all her mail–about five years ago.

macho July 22, 2010 at 11:00 pm

You can try to split hairs all you want. The fact is, if Deal wants to pretend his Congressional record of twenty years ago is irrelevant, it will be at his peril. When your argument is, “I was in Washington for so long that you can’t possibly hold me accountable for all of the years I’ve been there,” you’re going to have a problem with the anti-establishment mood of the voters.

The one thing people can’t stand is hypocrisy in their politicians.

B Balz July 23, 2010 at 6:56 am

Or unpopped kernels in their popcorn.

SFCWallace July 23, 2010 at 11:30 am

I like the half popped ones…

Lady Thinker July 23, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Good post Macho.

Jimbo July 22, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I really don’t see how people can keep on calling Karen Handel “liberal.” She has changed her position on 1 issue in the past 5 years, and yet Mitt Romney got a free pass from conservatives. During the same period of time, he changed his positions on gays, guns, abortion, stem cell research, healthcare (Romneycare, anyone?), taxes, affirmative action, Ronald Reagan … But you get my point.
Georgians who voted for Mitt Romney lack the moral authority to criticize/not vote Karen Handel because of her former gay rights stance.

ACCmoderate July 22, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Why is no one taking Karen to task for essentially admitting that she pandered to the gay community solely to get elected.

If she’s actually against gay marriage and she’s willing to lie about that to gain votes, shouldn’t we be questioning whether her current campaign promises are even what she truly believes?

My momma always said, “once a liar always a liar.” From what I’ve gathered, Karen Handel seems to be a liar.

Harry July 22, 2010 at 11:06 pm

ACCmoderate July 22, 2010 at 11:24 pm

Lying has nothing to do with your record… its a character flaw.

If you aren’t capable of standing up to the electorate and saying: “this is how I feel,” maybe you shouldn’t be running for office.

Handel fessed up that she told the gay community one thing while she believed another. Either she thinks its OK to be duplicitous OR she believes that it’s OK to lie to homosexuals because they’re of a different sexual orientation.

I’d like the whole truth from Karen for once. Why is it OK to lie to get elected? If you’re willing to say something you don’t believe in order to get elected, why in the world should we trust you?

Jimbo July 23, 2010 at 9:12 am

I have said this before on this blog, but for record I will say it again: it was not OK for Karen Handel to lie. It was wrong.

HOWEVER, if you choose not to vote for a candidate simply because they have lied on an issue, then you would never vote for anyone.
Also, was Handel did was unethical, but not illegal. Nathan Deal has engaged in far more unethical and illegal behavior, and yet I never see ACCmoderate and all the others in the anti-Handel camp criticize Deal on these issues. This is simply hypocrisy on their part, nothing more.

ACCmoderate July 23, 2010 at 10:42 am

I think Deal is a moron. It’d be a waste of time for me to criticize him. I’d rather chop my hand off than vote for that idiot.

Since I would actually consider voting for Handel, I’d like to at least know why she feels its OK to lie to get elected.

CobbGOPer July 23, 2010 at 12:49 pm

“I’d like to at least know why she feels its OK to lie to get elected.”

Seriously, that’s like asking a shark why it feels it’s ok to eat your arm off if you swim around with him. That’s what sharks do. All politicians lie in some form or another to get elected, because you can’t please all the people all the time.

Deal isn’t lying about his ethical/legal issues? Please.

Deal. Real. Corrupt.

Lady Thinker July 23, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Karen hasn’t lied on that issue. It is on her website.

Rick Day July 22, 2010 at 11:18 pm

I think I understand now why people use these sock puppets.

Because when they say crap like “Deal is a conservative” they don’t want to have to eat their words, when he removes the facade, and shows his true roots as a corporatist of the same model as Obama.

My opinion: people who do not use their real name to espouse an opinion, or attack an opponent are the lowest form of internet coward. And yes, I am talking about YOU.

Ergo, “Republicans” are cowards.

Wow, I’ve learned to brand people with using ‘bad labels’! I must be a “Republican!”

American Delight July 23, 2010 at 5:48 am

Some bloggers who work for elected officials could lose their jobs if they used their real names.

And many of us who blog about Islam would become targets for death threats if our identities were revealed.

B Balz July 23, 2010 at 6:59 am

Some of us do work that does not cherish the idea of thinking, Rick. I do commend you on being able to, and actually using your real name. Many here know who I am, that is sometimes a bit disconcerting.

Henry Waxman July 22, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Erick, are you going to take this post down when you realize that your entire premise was wrong, or are you just going to edit it?

B Balz July 23, 2010 at 7:00 am

Truth is in the eye of the publisher.

Jimbo July 23, 2010 at 9:13 am

LOL

Lady Thinker July 23, 2010 at 10:52 pm

I see yoiu are avoiding an explanation of your 1993 bull, I mean bill.

In The Arena July 23, 2010 at 8:50 am

The fact is that Karen Handel funded Planned Parenthood.

The rest is spin.

It would probably be wise at this point to sell your Erick Erickson stock and invest in gold.

Jason July 23, 2010 at 11:24 am
Lady Thinker July 23, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Same lie, different day arena,

Lady Thinker July 23, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Same lie, different day arena.

John Konop July 23, 2010 at 9:19 am

ITA,

Karen Handel used federal money authorized by a Republican President and Congress to pay for breast cancer screening with a mandate not to be used on abortion and Nathan Deal voted for a bill to pay for abortions. What am I missing?

B Balz July 23, 2010 at 10:44 am

A race to the bottom?

C’mon John. DO BETTER.

Jimbo July 23, 2010 at 9:22 am

The money was not being used to fund abortions, just breast cancer screenings.

ACCmoderate July 23, 2010 at 10:43 am

So are we all in agreement that Karen has her hand up Erick’s butt and is working him like a ventriloquist dummy?

B Balz July 23, 2010 at 10:45 am

I could have gone all day without that frightening visual….

janna July 23, 2010 at 10:49 am

Meh. I think GRTL has gotten enough of our attention. There are other issues to be concerned about this election.
Just sayin’.

ready2rumble July 25, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Another interesting Deal vote.

Project Vote Smart’s Synopsis:

Vote to pass a bill that allows for the use of fetal tissue in medical research and appropriates funds to the National Institutes of Health.

Highlights:

- Stipulates that fetal tissue may be used in medical research upon the written consent of a woman who is receiving a “spontaneous or induced abortion”

- $3.2 billion to the National Cancer Institute

- $1.5 billion to the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute

- $100 million to the Office of AIDS Research

Provocateur July 25, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Hmm..1993…when Deal was a Democrat working for a Democrat preisdent. But, then he switched parties and has seen the light ever since.

Kinda like becoming a “born-again Christian,” right?

OR, for the supposed “Pro-Life Christian Candidate” that Karen Handel claims herself to be, there is NO “born again Republican”?

Funny how she worked for a converted Democrat (Sonny Perdue) who ran this state pretty similar to the way Bush ran the country: NOT “conservative”, but “compassionate conservative” which is more like Socialistic.

ready2rumble July 25, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Hmm, Deal flip flops on a “little” issue like abortion and it’s OK because the vote was in 1992.

Provocateur July 25, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Hmm…Karen lies about her past, gets her old campaign manager to take a fall and claim he was the one who authored e-mails signed as “Fondly, Karen”, and that’s okay with you, R2R?

I’ll take a mind-changer over a liar any day of the week. Mind-changers can be reasoned with…liars cannot be reasoned with because they don’t know how to be truthful.

BIG difference.

Lady Thinker July 25, 2010 at 5:51 pm

R2R,

I see what you mean.

Lady Thinker July 25, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Here are Karen’s own words about this issue as well as her contact phone number. While those supporting Deal will jeer her, I want others to know what she thinks.

Since my opponents and others continue to misrepresent my views on Life, I want to be abundantly clear about my core beliefs. I am staunchly and unequivocally pro-life. I believe in the sanctity and inherent dignity of human life, and I will be a pro-life governor who will work tirelessly to promote a culture of life in Georgia. With recent scientific advances and others on the horizon, our society is increasingly facing new and serious moral and ethical issues. In dealing with these issues, I believe that the sanctity of human life must be the priority and fundamental premise upon which all policies are based.

I believe that each and every unborn child has inherent dignity, that every abortion is a tragedy, and that government has a role, along with the faith community, in encouraging women to choose life in even the most difficult of circumstances. And while I will not seek to prohibit abortions in the extremely rare cases of rape, incest, or where there is a real threat to the life of the mother, I will do everything in my power to encourage and promote alternatives to abortion in these tragic situations. In this respect, I strongly support the noble work of crisis-pregnancy centers across the state and those who compassionately and lovingly counsel women on a daily basis. Finally, I oppose embryonic stem cell research, which creates life solely for the purpose of destroying it. I do, however, strongly support adult stem cell research, which has produced numerous scientific achievements without terminating innocent lives in the process.

My opponents have recently recycled old attacks against me concerning Fulton County’s funding of some programs through Planned Parenthood. They are doing so without providing any context and continue to omit several key and important facts. First, let me be clear, since I am pro-life, I do not support the mission of Planned Parenthood. During my time as Chairman of Fulton County, there were federal and state pass-through grants that were awarded to Planned Parenthood for breast and cervical cancer screening, as well as a “Healthy Babies Initiative.” The grant was authorized, regulated, administered and distributed through the State of Georgia. Because of the criteria, regulations and parameters of the grant, Planned Parenthood was the only eligible vendor approved to meet the state criteria. Additionally, none of the services in any way involved abortions or abortion-related services. In fact, state and federal law prohibits the use of taxpayer funds for abortions or abortion related services and I strongly support those laws. Since grants like these are from the state I’ll eliminate them as your next Governor.

I hope that this helps to clarify my views on this issue, and I appreciate that you’ve taken the time to get additional information from me. If you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 770-740-0010.

Doug Grammer July 25, 2010 at 7:44 pm

“The grant was authorized, regulated, administered and distributed through the State of Georgia. Because of the criteria, regulations and parameters of the grant, Planned Parenthood was the only eligible vendor approved to meet the state criteria. ”

That’s the answer I’ve been looking for.

analogkid July 25, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Same here.

David Staples July 26, 2010 at 3:21 pm

…another abortion / Handel post, another day… *yawn*

Comments on this entry are closed.