CNN: Mitt Romney To Endorse Handel

Governor Jan Brewer, check
Governor Sarah Palin, check
Governor Mitt Romney, check

I’m not sure how many electoral votes that is for Karen Handel, but she’s getting national exposure as the front runner in the Georgia Governor’s race. Mitt Romney is the latest to back Handel:

“A successful businesswoman and public servant, Karen Handel’s blend of executive, political, and business experience is just what Georgia needs at this critical time,” Romney said in a statement Wednesday. “The leadership skills that she has honed in both the private and public sectors will enable her to make tough decisions and enact the reforms needed to get the economy back on track and foster job creation.”

Romney stayed out of the primary, an aide said, because one of the candidates, state Sen. Eric Johnson, had backed Romney during his 2008 presidential bid.

Note that last sentence. For those who think Johnson’s supporters are automatically going to Deal, I’ll suggest otherwise.

I’ll now return you to sock-puppetry while I return to work.

1. Sarah Scott says:

While Handel is getting endorsements from Alaska, Arizona and now Massachusetts, does anyone think that those people know best what Georgia needs?
    I would rather have a Georgian like Gingrich endorse, at least he can find Gainsville without a map.

• Gerald says:

Maybe people from Alaska, Arizona and Massachusetts know that Georgia’s political leadership at the state level isn’t at the same caliber of the leaders of other states. Sorry, but look at some of the past governors of Florida (Jeb Bush, Bob Graham), Texas and North Carolina, and our governors haven’t measured up when it comes to things like fighting corruption or new ideas in education, transportation and economic development. It’s a main reason why Georgia is basically Atlanta (which was built largely without state help) and everywhere else, and why Florida, North Carolina and increasingly even South Carolina are making gains.

If outsiders can get us away from Democrats who only focus on Atlanta and want Georgia to emulate New York, and Republicans who care more than cutting taxes than governing and help us identify leaders who can actually grow jobs and improve schools – and do so for people who live outside the Atlanta metro area – then we should listen. Otherwise, we will keep electing people like Joe Frank Harris (8 years as governor, and no one can identify a single thing that he did other than the failed QBE) and Sonny Perdue (ditto, minus the QBE).

• Romegaguy says:

It’s kinda like someone from GA making an endorsement in NY’s 23rd Congressional District….

• seenbetrdayz says:

I don’t know why, but I felt in immensely necessary to apologize to my friends in New York for Newt’s coming up there. It was as if my dog had gotten out of the back yard and killed my neighbor’s cat, or something . . .

• ACCmoderate says:

“Georgia is basically Atlanta.” You’re right… its why jobs come here. Atlanta is the reason that businesses want to invest in Georgia. Without Atlanta, Georgia would likely be an impoverished backwater (a la Mississippi).

What’s wrong with wanting Georgia wanting to emulate New York? NYC is the capital of the world and the epicenter for business and commerce. I’d love it if Atlanta could be more like New York City. It’s not like New York State is some bastion of liberalism… its a good state that people enjoy living in.

So the outsiders are going to get us away from Democrats who only focus on Atlanta… I hate to break it to you bud, but Republicans are the ones in charge ’round here and they’re the ones guilty of “focusing on Atlanta.”

• DoubleDawg3 says:

Georgia’s poltical “leadership” at the state level isn’t on track with those other states because Sonny Perdue happened to be the fool lucky enough to take on the Democratic establishment and actually win in 2002. Then, in 2006, the Dem’s put forth the worst GOV candidate possible, so Sonny got re-elected. So, what I’m saying is the problem is that Georgia’s never had a TRUE Conservative Republican Governor…once we get one, I don’t think you’ll be able to say the same about GA. I can look at this race right now and tell you which one is a true “conservative” and which one is not – hope the voters can see that too over the next 3 weeks.

• Ambernappe says:

DoubleDawg,

I am reading your mind for the true conservative, and I see………Karen Handel. Yes, she will make a difference, as long as she does not tax grits.

• Holly says:

Alaska has the same problem in that Anchorage (and the Valley) contain the majority of residents the state. I don’t know as much about Massachusetts, but the only economic engine up there that I know about is Boston…

• SFrazier says:

Mitt actually lost the state of Mass jobs when he was there governor, thanks to Romneycare. He also flip flopped on abortion and same sex marriages, just like Handel. Birds of a feather flock together.

• GOPwits says:

So let me get this straight, you would rather have one of the 15 most corrupt Members of Congress go up against Roy Barnes?

How wealthy did you become off of your secret relationship with the state of Georgia? Not only that, but Deal was a do-nothing Member of Congress while he was getting rich and voted for all of the big pork barrel filled budgets that helped get our country in the mess that it is in today.

That’s a deal you can keep…

• justpeachy says:

At least it’s endorsements by governors and not fellow congress members… I mean really? I’d much rather have an endorsement by fellow governors for the posistion of Governor than by congressmen. I like Newt, I like Linder but they were never governors so it doesn’t match up. Not to mention to endorsement covers the fact that Deal was ranked one of the top 10 most corrupt congressman in congress and he nearly left congress just DAYS before the healthcare vote to run for governor (aka have ethics investigation closed because he was no longer a congressman) With those facts alone I don’t really think it matter who endorses Deal and who endorses Handel… If they know about Deals unethical behaviour (including spending campaign dollars for Governor to pay for legal fees on his congress investigation) endorsements just won’t matter.

• Lady Thinker says:

Maybe the endorsers from Alaska, Arizona, and Massachusetts know something about Deal that we don’t.

2. Gerald says:

Maybe this is my frustration over the Shirley Sherrod thing, but I will go ahead and kick it off. Were Karen Handel a black female liberal Democrat who served on the Fulton County Board of Commissioners, the very same conservatives who are now supporting her would use her lack of a college degree to tar her as an unqualified affirmative action welfare nimwit type. Now of course, I am not saying that her lack of a college degree should disqualify her from being governor. Instead, I am stating that were she a black Democrat, her lack of a college degree would be used by conservatives and Republicans to CLAIM that she is an unqualified affirmative action dummy. Or that the “unqualified” charge that conservatives lob at practically every black Democrat is just code words for “black.” Am I wrong or am I right? It is just that I get frustrated at conservatives call every single black person “unqualified” regardless of their background. Meanwhile, whites are almost never called unqualified, regardless of their politics (or for that matter their qualifications).

• Captain Phatbeard says:

I thought Barack Obama and Sarah Palin were both unqualified to be President. Does that help?

• DonfromSnellville says:

Gerald,

Do your homework. You are so ridiculously wrong you hardly rate a reply.

• Lady Thinker says:

Don from Snellville,

HOW is Gerald wrong? What are your arguments to support your position other than saying he is wrong? To tell someone,

“You are so ridiculously wrong you hardly rate a reply,”

is useless unless you can give documentation supporting your position.

• Holly says:

I don’t think anyone (black, white, native, etc.) is a “dummy” because they don’t have a college degree. Further, it’s impressive to me what some folks, like Karen Handel and Jim Whitehead, have accomplished without a degree.

I do agree that there are too many instances of “fringe conservatives” being insensitive about race for me to be comfortable. And I don’t think that the instantaneous denials from some of the “leaders” help. If we ever want to win over minorities, we need to be more careful in our responses to these situations. How long do you think John Lewis being called the n-word would have been in the media had the leadership stepped up and said something like the following:

“John Lewis is a great American. We don’t agree with his politics, but we definitely respect his history with the civil rights movement. To have him treated in such a way is unacceptable. While we can’t control the individuals who show up to our rallies, we don’t tolerate racism, and we’ll do our best to make sure this kind of thing doesn’t happen again. The Tea Party welcomes everyone, regardless of race, gender, or background. We want to apologize to Congressman Lewis and move forward with our message of fiscal conservatism.”

That would have been in the media for one cycle, tops. Instead, it’s dragged on, been debated ad nauseum, and escalated to the point it’s ridiculous.

• TalmadgeGhost says:

“I don’t think anyone (black, white, native, etc.) is a “dummy” because they don’t have a college degree.”

I do.

3. KingWulfgar says:

All the Johnson supporters I know are moving over to the Deal camp.

Honestly, a Romney endorsement would be a reason for me to NOT support a candidate.

I’m not even sure I’m going to bother checking a box in the Governor section in August.

• DonfromSnellville says:

Deal is a PROVEN crook. Not even a question. He resigned from the congress to avoid an ethics investigation he knew would show he profited improperly from his position of influence even though he had said before he would not resign in order to run.

I am not a huge Handel fan but it amazes me anyone could ever vote for Deal. Barnes will trounce him after showing him for the crook he is.

I may have to vote Libertarian.

4. Jace Walden says:

I don’t think having national figures like Palin et. al. is as important in a primary race as having all but one of the party’s congressmen. Congressmen have a natural consituency in the area that, time and time again, has continued to send them back. They know all of the big money activists in their areas, and they can still drum up huge crowds and geo-specific political machines toward a common goal.

• James Fannin says:

Tell me which Congressman is it that can actually drum up a huge crowd? I’ve never seen it. Deal certainly can’t and when you watch him and most politicians speaking at all these county BBQs this election season you can’t help but be struck by the fact that absolutely no one pays attention. Most Georgia congressmen can fly home on Delta from DC and be undisturbed by constituents during the flight because for the most part no one except a few lobbyists returning home have any idea who they are. Don’t kid yourself Jace. Being a Congressman isn’t all that glamorous and when the occasional Congressmen starts to take his press releases seriously and actually runs for statewide office they quickly get schooled in how big the state is and how nobody knows them outside their district. They inevitably get slaughtered. Anyone remember Congressman Mac Collins? Anyone likely to remember Nathan Deal outside the 9th District after August 10?

• Jace Walden says:

James,

That’s the point. Jack Kingston may not be able to draw 1000 people to hear him speak like Palin, but he could easily draw 100. The difference is, I doubt Sarah Palin knows more than 3 or 4 of the big-money activists in the area. I would be that Jack Kingston knows them all, and he obviously knows what buttons to push to get them to contribute time, money and GOTV effort.

Take that, and apply it to every Republican congressional district where the GOP congressman supports Deal and Nathan Deal has a pretty potent network across the state.

• James Fannin says:

Jace, Deal already had that Congressional support and it translated into nothing for him yesterday. Given the GOP history in which no candidate trailing by more than 2 percent has ever gone on to win a runoff, it would be plain foolish for any Congressman to encourage anyone to throw money down a rathole to try to salvage a real Deal. Seriously, the only top 20 county Deal took was Hall county, his home county.

The mainstream media – print and broadcast- aren’t going to tell the truth on this because they want to sell the airtime and the ads but Deal just can’t win. It’s just not possible for a tired old Washington politician who has been in DC for 18 years o make up 11.2 percent in three weeks by offering the tired “I’m conservative, I’m conservative” refrain. Why would any congressman put their credibility on the line and aggressively back Deal now when they didn’t do so before? Because those DC politicians all stick together? Now that’s a winning message.

• Jace Walden says:

Translated to nothing? Well, I guess if you call making it into the runoff “nothing”, then that’s one thing. By the same logic, Sarah Palin’s endorsement of Handel translated to nothing as well. After all, Karen only made the runoff.

I’m not trying to predict that Deal will win the runoff. I really doubt he will. But to say that he is not in a significantly stronger position now than he was going into the primary, is false.

Primary elections are decided by the dedicated activists. And primary runoffs are decided even more by the dedicated activists. This is going to be an extremely close race, and I don’t think Deal or Handel win it by more than 2.5% either way.

5. Ramblinwreck says:

” It is just that I get frustrated at conservatives call every single black person “unqualified” regardless of their background. ”

Yeah, that’s what conservatives have been saying about Clarence Thomas, Thomas Sowell, Walter Williams, Michael Steel (although he may be unqualified), and Herman Cain for a while. NOT.

Compare the above list to Hank “Guam’s going to tip over” Johnson and an extensive list of officials in DC that’s too long to type in who actually ARE unqualified because they’re provably dumber than a cow’s face.

Get real!

6. jtc says:

Newt continues his trend of not being very good at picking winners lately.

I still want him to run in 2012 though.

• I believe Mrs. Palin was bamboozled. She will have a hard time convincing Georgians that “Sonny-In-A-Skirt” is a conservative. I believe her staff, or whoever talked her into this ill-advised endorsement may wind up with a little egg on their face.

7. ACCmoderate says:

Karen has the endorsement of a failed presidential candidate… a failed vice-presidential candidate… and an accidental governor.

No offense, I’ll take the opinions of the people that actually live here.

BTW: If Palin thought Africa was a country, I wonder if she can find Georgia on a map.

• vladimir says:

Best Comment, Staples! I love it. Yeah, Georgia was invaded by Russia… THAT Georgia! What’s her current foreign policy advisor’s name – he used to work as a lobbyist for Georgia? Hmmm…

8. sofnbc says:

I am a Johnson supporter, but I have not decided who I will support in the runoff.

As for endoresements…

1. Endorsements from other Governors (to include former Governors) means that Karen Handel is someone who they feel they can work with. If Georgia wants to work with other states to get things done on the national level than this is important. For those of you who feel that it is Georgia first, and only first, then you may want to look somewhere other than the candidate that is receiving all the endorsements.

2. An endorsement from someone like Newt means that a life long Georgian who has obtained a LOT, whether you like it or not, has to be force to sway people to support Nathan Deal.

I can find things I don’t like about each of them, but I will choose to look at what I have in common first. Not that I am an important person, but I have a lot to offer in the areas of Public Health and Emergency Management. I would LOVE to sit down with either Mrs. Handel or Mr. Deal and see where they stand on the preparedness level of our State. I did it with EJ and would love to do it with the other candidates.

I would encourage all of my fellow EJ supporters to do their research, determine which candidate best fits their beliefs, and choose the right person for them.

• John Konop says:

sofnbc,

If Johnson had more people on his staff like you he would have gotten into the run-off. I think his popularity grew when the negative harsh supporters became silent and Johnson did not attack people in his ads.

• ACCmoderate says:

I heard that Levi Johnston is prepared to endorse Deal… just to spite his future mother in law.

• GOPwits says:

There is no truth to the rumor that Huckabee might endorse Deal. And Newt is not a native Georgian. He actually is from Pennsylvania and currently lives in Virginia. He hasn’t lived in Georgia since 1998.

9. Pine Knot says:

Figures. They are both liberals who are pro choice, and will say anything to get elected.

Mitt Romney said,”I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country.”

• John Konop says:

If this election is about being a fiscal conservative in tough times how could any rational person vote for DEAL?

His voting record is the poster child of what went wrong, Medicare Part D, bridges to nowhere, No Child Left Behind, Farm Bill………

• Pine Knot says:

He voted against Bush’s bank bailouts. It is hard to find a Republican who didn’t support part of the leadership’s platform at times.

• John Konop says:

Pine Knot,

We bailed the tax payers out not just the banks. You understand the loans were guaranteed by us? And Deal supported gambling tax payer guaranteed loans with credit swaps……..

You also understand had the banks failed we did not have the money to pay-off the guarantees?

You support Deal who got us into the mess and refused to do anything after he screwed up?

• James Fannin says:

Newt would have voted for the bailout and recently said that given the fact that the President, the Treasury Secretary and the Chairman of the Fed all predicted financial ruin of epic proportions absent the bailout, it would have been irresponsible for him to substitute his judgement and vote against their advice. In any case, when Deal voted against the bailout, it was clear there were enough votes without his vote for the bailout to pass. It is not a big Deal nor is there anything courageous about voting against something when you know your vote does not matter.

• SFrazier says:

He also took on Bush, Johny, and Saxby to prevent amnesty for illegals. So your theory does not hold true.

• Pine Knot says:

DeMint voted for No Child Left Behind. He is a tea party favorite. Boehner voted for it. Look at all the ultra conservatives that voted for it. http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2001/roll497.xml

Kyle voted for it. A lot of true conservatives voted for it in the senate too. http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=107&session=1&vote=00371

NCLB has not worked, and I agree that it hasn’t. What would any other Republican have done at the time. What would Karen had done? She probably would have a voting record similar to Snowe or Collins.

Same for Medicare part D. Kyle voted for it(who is very conservative), Saxby voted for it, Santorum aye, McConnell aye, Dole aye. Linder ect.

They weren’t good bills, but at the time their constituents wanted them, and they passed by wide margins.

• Pine Knot says:

Eric Cantor. When Eric votes for something, you expect it to be something very conservative, and something Sarah would be happy about.

• John Konop says:

Pine Knot

So what you are saying is Deal cannot think for himself and we should trust him now to make tough calls in very tough times? Your logic escapes me!

• Pine Knot says:

What I am saying is that Deal voted the way anyone would have no matter how conserservative they are! Its the way it is, and Nathan has fought for tough laws on illegals and was in the top ten list of the most conservative members of congress. Paul Broun endorsed him. Paul is too conservative for a lot of Republicans out of his district. People mock Paul Broun because he is so conservative. Like I said, Karen Handel is more like Snowe, Collins, or Arlen S.

• John Konop says:

Pine Knot,

Are you saying knowingly voting for a Medicare bill that will bankrupt our country is ok if the party tells you to vote that way? Are you saying creating a one size fit all education system with heavy handed federal unfunded mandates ie No Child Left Behind is ok as long as the party tells you tells you to vote that way? I could go on and on but I am sue you get the point.

In all due respect it is the above logic that got us into this mess. We have two parties selling us BS while we are drowning in debt.

You have the GOD given right to support the irresponsible spending by Deal, but please man-up and tell us you are supporting a very liberal spender.

• Pine Knot says:

I am supporting one of the top ten most conservative members of Congress. I agree that I do not agree on everything that Nathan has supported. You have a point. John, I think than you make very valid points on most topics, and I think you have the best interest of the party in the future. Nathan is not perfect. Neither is Karen. I am trying to compare and contrast. If Karen was in the same position as Nathan was, I am pretty sure that she would have made similar choices. I will support Karen over Roy, and I hope you would do the same for Nathan. Karen has supported gay rights and some abortion principles that the average Republican voter would disagree with. I wouldn’t have voted for part D, I wouldn’t have voted for NCLB, neither would I have supported gay rights, and abortion. Karen did that because she needed the support in Fulton county, and Nathan voted for part D and NCLB because his constituents wanted it, and because he was being pressured by GOP leadership. Something that Kyl and Eric Cantor voted for as well.

• Romegaguy says:

At least you didnt call him Congressman Paul Broun seeing as he hasnt been sworn in yet

• John Konop says:

Pine Nut,

My concerns with voting for Deal:

1) I am concerned about the Washington influence as demonstrated above. And I respect the fact you agree with the issues I brought up.

2) I am concerned about alienating the CDC and the industries related to it. GRTL has taken the issues surrounding stem-cell too far. If you want to not use state money I get it, but banning procedures is anti-capitalism in a time we NEED jobs! And this is one of the few industries growing.

3) I am concerned about the attitude toward gay people. I do business and have friends who are gay. I am big defender of personal liberties for adults. Also I try to focus on my own short comings on a personal level not others.

4) I am concerned about education and have concerns about the one size fit all approach supported by Deal ie No Child Left Behind. We cannot afford to have a real drop-out rate of around 50% in our state.

I would be happy to have an open discussion about the issues with the Deal and or a team member. But the above issues we must focus on in my opinion in the next few years of tough times.

• James Fannin says:

I don’t think many “movement” conservatives were happy about his votes for Walter Mondale over Reagan or for Jimmy Carter or Dukakis or Bill Clinton. We finally were happy when he voted to impeach Bill Clinton but remember, he was for him before he was against him. He does, as you suggest, vote the way his constituents feel he should vote. When they were Democrats, he was a Democrat and when they turned Republican, he became a Republican. Running to the front of a passing parade and pretending you are leading is certainly a talent.

• Lady Thinker says:

John,

The Deal camp doesn’t know how to do that because they blindly agree with him on everything he says.

10. chefdavid says:

I was told on the radio this morning by my Senator that we should vote for Deal because he knows where Dade County is. Are people that mindless that they would use that reason alone on who they pick for governor?

• racinwithrex says:

Yea, well look at the source of the interview. Both the Senator and Radio Station owner are that simple. They are betting that most of us here in Dade County are also. But you can bet it will work. Don’t discuss anything of substance, just plain flatter them and that will get you elected.

• racinwithrex says:

In that gubernatorial race, Dade Republicans chose Deal with 602 votes as opposed to 244 for Karen Handel, 102 for John Oxendine, 31 for Jeff Chapman, 29 for Eric Johnson, 68 for Ray McBerry and 6 for Otis Putnam.

• OriginalGangsta says:

Yes, they are that mindless. These are the same people who won’t shut up about abortion and gay rights while GA is sitting near 10% unemployment. It’s a shame how little this campaign has been dealing with the real issues such as the economy, water and education.

11. bluedogdem says:

Romney is the best thing that can happen for Obama in 2012.
    If Handel was a a real conservative she would not accept this endorsement.

12. Buzzfan says:

Some quick cipherin’ gives us this……

Assuming all of the voters who cast for Handel, Deal, Johnson & da’ Ox in the primary come back out for the runoff, Handel needs to pick up just a hair under 35% of the Johnson/Ox voters (87,995/251,905) to beat Deal.

* numbers per Ga SoS site

• SFrazier says:

Not going to happen. The liberal has peaked, as more info comes out she will lose votes.

• Doug Grammer says:

I think we will be doing well to get 75% of the number who just voted in the GOP primary. And that still disappoints me.

• polisavvy says:

I agree with you about the turnout for the runoff. It will be very low, in my opinion. Having said that, there is no telling who people will be voting for — it’s anyone’s game.

• analogkid says:

75% is overly optimistic. 50% would be impressive. 25-30% is my guess, except in the 7th and the 9th.

13. ACCmoderate says:

When is Handel going to cut the crap about working in the Bush White House?

Being a deputy CoS to the Vice-President’s wife doesn’t count as being part of a Presidential administration. Heck, the Second Lady doesn’t even have an office the White House or elsewhere. Washing dishes in the commissary has the same level of responsibility and at least you get to work in the actual building.

14. Georgia Judge says:

Eric Johnsons endorsement will trump both.As will many State Legislators.Deal is a the pick here….

• GOPwits says:

Deal’s ethical shortcomings and ensuing investigation just make him way too much of a risk for the GOP heading into a battle with Roy Barnes. If Deal is the nominee, the only issue that will dominate is corruption corruption corruption and I’m not sure the entire GOP ticket needs to take the hit for Deal’s ethical shortcomings…

Handel is the strong pick for the run-off and to go toe to toe with Re Run Roy.

15. Ludwig Von Beachbum says:

Governor Jan Brewer, check
    Governor Sarah Palin, check
    Governor Mitt Romney, check
    Quitters, check
    G.E.D’s, check
    RINO’s, check

• Hill Rat says:

Don’t forget about the Marylanders and the Community College Dropouts. She gets those people as well.

16. Progressive Dem says:

Anybody that says Karen Handel is a liberal immediately qualifies as right-wing-nut-job. Seriously. You are warped. I’m a liberal and she’s not even in the same hemisphere.

17. fishtail says:

Who is Sonny Perdue going to endorse? Or will he not endorse either one? He is so corrupt I don’t believe either candidate would/should want his endorsement. If Handel accepts Sonny’s help it will cost her many, many votes.

18. Hill Rat says:

Governor Jan Brewer, Arizona (1,806 miles from Georgia)
    Governor Sarah Palin, Alaska (4,279 miles from Georgia)
    Governor Mitt Romney, Massachusetts (1,076 miles from Georgia)

Have any of these people ever met Karen Handel?

• Hill Rat says:

“I supported the Brady Bill and a ban on assault weapons. That’s not gonna make me the hero of the NRA. But then I don’t line up with the NRA.” -Mitt Romney, 1994

19. dusty ride says:

Looking at the election maps, Deal doesn’t have much support outside of North Georgia and he is losing that. Finally, the voters are paying attention to ethics and morals and those who don’t have them. The voters will speak again in the run-off (pun intended). No Deal.

20. Bill30097 says:

So we have someone endorsed by the creator of the precurser of Obamacare – i.e. Romneycare vs someone endorsed by Nancy Pelosi’s couchmate. Libertarian anyone

• Ambernappe says:

That would be the price from Representative Deal. The three endorsements in question were for Karen Handel and did not cost her anything – just reflecting the trust of the endorsers that Karen is the most qualified candidate to lead Georgia at this time.

21. Romegaguy says:

Any truth to the rumor that Bill Clinton is coming to endorse his former delegate Bill Stephens I mean John Oxendine I mean Nathan Deal?

• Pine Knot says:

Mitt is coming for Handel. The man who was for abortion before he was against it. The man who got socialized healthcare in his state before he was against it for all of us.

• DoubleDawg3 says:

Got to watch out talking about people that worked for big time Democrats – that’s not fair to poor Karen Handel, I mean, Sonny “allegedly” switched from being a Dem to Republican before she went to work for him.

• GOPwits says:

HA! That’s just funny, I don’t care who you are…

Remember, Deal was a DNC Super Delegate in 1992 against George H. W. Bush… He also voted against parental notification for minors wanting an abortion.

• DoubleDawg3 says:

Really? Wow, that’s absolutely perfect – so in addition to getting all the GOP Vote in November, Deal would quite possibly pull some “old-school” conservative Dem’s away from Roy Barnes too! It’s just obvious that he’s the man for the job- the man who can send Roy back to his Marietta mansion for good!

Losing would probably work out better for Karen Handel anyway, it would give her more time to focus on becoming the 2012 Republican Vice Presidential nominee…I mean, Palin’s already shown us you don’t need experience (or sense) for that job, apparently.

22. DoubleDawg3 says:

Honestly, it’d be much more convenient for Ms. Handel to just go ahead and start traveling to Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, etc. now, in her efforts to become the VP nominee in 2012 then it would for her to have to become Governor, get sworn in, do the whole “legislative process” for a session, and then, a solid one year into her term, vacate the office so she can focus full time on higher office.

A win-win for everyone for her to just tank this whole little “run-off” thingy that we’ve got to do in a few weeks.

• Lady Thinker says:

It will be eight years before Karen can think about running for Vice-President or even President for 2020. Since her term will be over in 2018, she will have two years to get her ducks in a row to run for higher office.

23. polisavvy says:

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.” Samuel Adams, 1776

I think it’s time that we all step back and take a look at ALL the candidates who are in runoffs or have already made their way to the General; and, with the above quote in mind, make decisions that will only help this country and this State. All pettiness should be put aside. It’s time for calm and rational decisions to prevail. A whole lot is at stake!