The Porter Plan

About a week and a half ago I noticed a blog entry on another Georgia Political Blog, Peanut Politics, about DuBose Porter.  knew DuBose was doing something all this time – I just was not sure what. I checked out Porter’s website and looked through the pictures of his 159 County Tour.

And I began to notice a trend. I have mostly lived in Dodge County my entire life, outside of brief stints in Cochran and Americus for my undergraduate education – and I am very familiar with those areas and places like Telfair, Wilcox, Pulaski, and Wheeler counties. And what I began to notice was that not only was Dubose making the typical political stops in these places but also going to the places where politicians normally do not go. I recognized many of the people he was taking pictures with, they were not the typical politically enlightened voters. They were the average people who generally do not care about politics, they were the small business owners who keep these rural county towns alive.

I’ve been sitting on this post for a few days because I assumed at some point The Porter Plan would be revealed. I’ve never given much though to DuBose actually winning, despite being endorsed by the team over at Georgia Liberal. And then the dots started connecting. The Porter Plan is to make it to the runoff, and then paint Barnes as the wheelin’ and dealin’ city slicker insider that does not care about the little guy. Ride the anti-incumbent wave. Tie Barnes with the Liberal Establishment of Washington, and hopefully grab enough votes to send him back to his faux-Governor’s Mansion in Marietta.

The vintage styled campaign materials to Porter’s populist tour of Georgia. It’s all apart of the plan and has been all along it seems.

1. Chris says:

Of everyone running, Porter probably best exemplifies “southern gentleman”. I think the General Assembly will be worse off without that gentlemen-lyness leading the opposition.

I don’t see how he breaks out above Baker to make the run off.

2. rightofcenter says:

I don’t know that I would call it a Plan. I think it is more accurately described as “what you hope will happen when you have zero money and little more than a prayer.” However, I must say that I prefer Dubose over any of the other Dems and over one formerly leading Republican.

3. View from Brookhaven says:

Yeah…I don’t see it either.

I am curious to see, if this goes to a runoff, which way the endorsements break.

4. macho says:

I actually nostalgically yearn for the old fashion days of politics. Where politicians could travel the state and give old fashion stump speeches. But the genie is out of the bottle, and there is no turning back. While you can supplement the campaign by stopping by biscuit shops, it’s impossible to compete against television with that plan alone.

Even if there is a Dem runoff, and Porter is somehow able to beat Baker for second place, the Democrat party is an urban party. Painting Barnes as a “city-slicker” in a Democrat Primary where Fulton, Dekalb, Chatham, Clayton, Cobb, Gwinnett, Muscogee, and Richmond represent 1/2 the vote isn’t a winning strategy.

5. ACCmoderate says:

DuBose is a nice guy and someone that people are able to instantly connect with. Hopefully he’ll continue to tour the state on behalf of his wife.

Forget where you’re siding in the Governor’s race… we all need to band together and tell Casey Cagle to pull his pants up and go back to Gainesville.

6. griftdrift says:

It’s an interesting plan if he could get in the run-off. Big if. Maybe impossible if.

And you can sum up Ga Liberal’s attitude about the Governor’s race as “anybody but Barnes”. Republicans can always count on certain Democrats belief that some things are more important than winning to assist you in your victories.

• galiberal says:

I would not go so far as to say we are anyone but Barnes. I have no problem with Roy Barnes, or any of the candidates for that matter. They are all great guys. I just think that Porter is the best guy. Any of the Democrats are going to be better than the trifecta of corruption coming from the Republican side.

I am very worried about Barnes’s campaign strategy of the top-down approach. As most as I can tell, and I stay fairly well connected, Barnes has done little to no grass roots support. Should he win Tuesday, he is going to have to fundamentally alter his campaign strategy if he wants to win.

• griftdrift says:

In other words, kneel down to the mythical grassroots? I can think of a few million reasons why he should be polite to you and not much else.

• galiberal says:

No, I am not saying bow down to the grassroots. I think you need both grassroots and and the “top heavy” stuff too.

I also am not saying he should have some type of Ambassador to GALiberal either, in fact I think it would be silly. It might be nice to have someone on a campaign with millions of dollars to be a liaison to the media/blogs. If I was running a campaign, I would definitely have someone dedicated to media/blogs.

What I am getting at is this: I have not gotten a call from Roy, no one I know has gotten a call from Roy. I have seen no Roy signs in Athens. The ONLY campaigning I have seen from Roy were showing up at debates and his TV commercials. I am not saying he has to “kneel down” to the grassroots, but he also has to engage them to some degree.

7. chefdavid says:

I really respect Porter from watching him all year. I could make some good jokes here but I won’t but, did you notice a lot of the pictures are taken in barber shops. The only reason I picked up on that is he stopped at a saloon up here in Trenton. A pretty smart idea if you a wanting to get a small town talking about you. I also noticed hardware stores and diner pictures.

8. Quaker says:

Of course, the best candidates from each party, Dubose Porter and Jeff Chapman, don’t stand much of a chance. They’re both decent men who would represent the voters who reallly need help right now – not just corporate scum with money.

9. NoTeabagging says:

I’m voting for Porter and am impressed with Chapman. Glad I found like minded folks in this thread. It would be amazing if they beat the pollsters. I prefer the small business candidates, with good ideas, over the too-well-connected-what’s-in-it-for-me candidates.