Silly Season Is Almost Over (We Hope)

I hate primary season. The quality of political blogs, and I’ll admit this one in particular, dives as rational discussion turns into the typical “my candidate is awesome, and yours is the spawn of Satan”.

And while Karen Handel absolutely rocks, and John Oxendine is commonly referred to around his labyrinth as Beelzebub Jr., there are times when you just have to take a step back and wish this crap was over so there could be sane conversation among grownups again.

Today’s case in point is this “uncomfortable” interview with Karen Handel by Doug Richards.

I have no problem with any candidate stating thier views on gay marriage, same sex benefits for domestic partners, etc.

I also don’t think for a moment that this is what the governor’s race is, or should be, about. Frankly, these aren’t issues I care about. They don’t affect me.

I do remember about 10 years ago, however, I was attending a training class and spent most of the breaks discussing the Bush vs. Gore election with a few folks. By the third or fourth day, one of them told me he wanted to vote for Bush because of his tax policies and his views on limited government (we both fell for that one), but he couldn’t because of the Republican parties hatred toward gays.

I actually told him that he had to understand that those issues weren’t important, and that he needed to understand how important the bigger picture was. Yep. I did. I was that dismissive and arrogant.

But to him, it was an important issue, and we continued to discuss it. And we discussed how, ultimately, when Republicans run on social issues, we tend to lose or and lose the issue one or two election cycles later. When we win, we usually have high profile hypocrites embarrass all of us who actually believe in social conservative values.

I sense that the Republican primary for Governor has turned into a contest of who can hate “the gays” more. Both Nathan Deal and Eric Johnson tried to use the gay issue in their response to news that Sarah Palin had endorsed Handel. Deal shopped various “gay” stories about Handel for months.

And yet, for most of us, it’s not our issue.

For those to whom it matters, they’ll probably end up voting for a Democrat.

I remember when the Republican party stood for limited government. There are a lot of things I don’t want the government to fund, and that’s fair discussion. But when we get into telling other folks how to live their life, we’re on the wrong direction for this party.

If you want to talk about lifestyle and sin, then meet me at church Sunday and let’s talk. If we want limited government, then let’s get back to talking about ways to actually get government out of our lives, tax us less, and ultimately, to have less control over our individual liberties.

1. donnacarr says:

It may be “silly season” to some, but there’s important issues about some races that STILL isn’t getting out there.

Take, for example, the GOP primary in CD-5. How many people even realize that Fenn Little, who calls himself “fiscally conservative,” is taking PAC donations from bailed out banksters?

Fenn Little is. Look it up. Time for REAL change in the GOP.

• gopgal says:

Donna, The 5th district is more than 56% African-American and the last time John Lewis got less than 70% of the vote was in 1994. It’s unfortunate but whoever the GOP candidate is in the 5th is of little consequence.

• Good point. I would be shocked if any GOP candidates in the 4th or 5th (or 13th) are getting PAC contributions. They (the PACs) should be smarter than that.

• B Balz says:

When the economy was booming, the demographics were suggesting the 5th might be changing. Now, not so much.

• donnacarr says:

Fenn Little’s opponent, Kelly Nguyen, has several things going for her against Lewis. She’s a minority, she’s young, and she’s a strong Liberty candidate (just endorsed by the RLC) on issues where voters in the 5th strongly disagree with Lewis. She’s the kind of candidate the GOP should be BEGGING to run in majority-Dem districts (like John Dennis, the new GOP nominee running against Pelosi).

I sincerely hope she wins on Tuesday.

2. Buzzfan says:

Outstanding post, Icarus! As someone who has voted almost-exclusively GOP over 30 years, this is the type of nonsense that makes my cringe……and it seems to get worse instead of better. So much for learning curves.

3. TPNoGa says:

I agree with you 100%. We should be the party of SMALL government, not “not-quite-as-big” government.

4. CobbGOPer says:

I completely concur. If we would just get out of people’s bedrooms, we could be an unstoppable political force. If you want to talk about morality and lifestyle, go to church and do it there. The taxpayers don’t pay you to spend your time in office vilifying one or another group of people.

Again, I say to the people who’s only issues of interest are socially-based: go form your own damn party. As a Republican I’m tired of taking the heat for your hatred.

• Bridget says:

lol, I’m so glad I’m not the only one who thought of this movie while reading this post…

5. zigmaster says:

Agreed! We should ignore the fact that Handel lied and vote for her in hopes of getting an extra 2 bucks in our pocket at the end of the year.

• CobbGOPer says:

And you can go ahead ignoring the egregious ethics violations of Mr. Oxendine, Mr. Deal, and Mr. Johnson.

• polisavvy says:

In other words, we are just supposed to ignore all the transgressions of all the candidates and just vote for the person who last the least transgressions. Is that where we are at?

6. MouthoftheSouth says:

I agree with you about what we want to fund. One of the things I don’t want to fund is foster care and child care for parentless children. But what if we could outsource this job to gay people? And what if they didn’t want to be paid for it? How awesome would that be?

We could take all that money and put it into schools, or better yet, tax rebates. Or fishing ramps. Whatever.

7. Yes ‘silly season’ will soon be over, and then it will be runoff time, when we can all sit down and have a calm, rational discussion over all the issues, set our priorities and build consensus. That’s always what happens in runoffs, right?

8. therightdirection says:

I support Jeff Chapman and I think it is fair to say he has run a positive campaign. Granted, one could make the argument that if the polls had him higher he would go negative to make the final cut, but that is pure speculation.

My point is, I think it’s funny when I read people complain about the trivial issues and lack of quality candidates when we have had one all along–Jeff Chapman.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

If everyone who’s said “I won’t vote for Chapman because he won’t win,” actually voted for him, he’d win…sigh.

• polisavvy says:

How hysterically funny would that be? What if the undecideds went his way as well? That would really rock some socks, wouldn’t it?

• Ludwig Von Beachbum says:

These are the dumbasses that think the governor race is done at the dog track.

They dont vote principles and what is good for their state.

9. Pine Knot says:

Good post Icarus. Although, I think the fact that Karen didn’t tell the truth at times is what extended the story.

• I Am Jacks Post says:

I agree, if by “at times” you mean most of the time.

The Handel-bots have tried to turn the story on its head, making it a “so and so hates gay people” thing rather than pushing back against the argument that’s actually being made–Handel is not telling the truth about her previous statements and relationships.

Whether it’s the check that she denied writing, only to ultimately reveal it was a sponsorship. Or the emails, which we’re told were written by a campaign aid. Or the survey she never filled out. It’s laughable.

So Konop and Icarus will keep wasting vapor about this being a “gay issue” rather than one of credulity. But the only real “silly” thing has been some of the explanations coming from the Handel camp, many of which barely fall short of “the dog ate my homework.”

10. B Balz says:

We all know “silly season” will begin, in earnest AFTER July 20th, as the big slog starts. In this post Icarus attempts to get in front of what he dismissively characterizes as an ‘uncomfortable interview’.

I have refrained from making many comments about Ms. Handel because I understand the reasons Peach Pundit is backing her. Having said that, I am weary of hearing about Ms. Handel’s attributes when she publicly displays a clear lack of ability in managing a press opportunity.

I get it, she is exhausted, got torqued at the questions by an invitee on her bus, and wanted it to stop. Pressure is where we see things break, I am unimpressed.

To me, this issue is exclusively about losing one’s cool and has ZERO do to with ‘gay marriage’ or ‘gay adoption’. The GOP is going into a brutal final push against Mr. Roy Barnes, there will be blood.

If Ms. Handle buckles under pressure with a reporter, then a masterful trial lawyer like Roy Barnes will walk her all over the board in a public debate.

What GOP gubernatorial candidate can stand a chance to verbally debate and prevail over Roy? HINT: Another trial lawyer.

I’m just sayin’

• Ron Daniels says:

Mr. Deal and Mr. Oxendine haven’t tried a case in sometime. Ole Roy has had practice these past few years. I’m not saying you are wrong, I’m just saying both the trial lawyers in this side of the race are out of practice and it shows in their debate performances up until now. I hope whomever the nominee is gets a crash course of practice before they step into the ring with Roy.

• polisavvy says:

Ron, am I mistaken or was there some discussion about Oxendine’s license in the article about him being admonished by the judge several years ago. For some reason I feel as though there was an issue about him not having an active license. Do you recall this?

• B Balz says:

Nor does it matter, I think Roy would spank him and send him off without supper.

• polisavvy says:

This was not meant to be cute, B Balz. I was really just curious. I thought he was inactive but wasn’t positive. As for Roy, well he could probably spank a lot more people than just him and send them off without supper.

• polisavvy says:

Yes, they can reactivate by paying their fees. Don’t sell yourself short, Ron. There is no such thing as a lowly law student in my book. Good luck for future success. From what I have learned about you from reading your posts, the legal field needs more people like you practicing law.

• B Balz says:

“…I hope whomever the nominee is gets a crash course of practice before they step into the ring with Roy. …” Not to sound petty, debate skills don’t become perfected after a crash course. Being a trial lawyer is being trained in a manner of thinking, as well as speaking.

I would GUESS, Roy would be more concerned with going toe-to-toe with Ms. Handel than over Rep. Deal. For man to win a debate against a woman, it must be done with great finesse to avoid looking like a bully. My wife will gladly share her thoughts on this….

Given that Ms. Handel , Rep. Deal, and Roy all have a few peccadilloes I don’t think those will issues would be the main portion of debate. It would be mutual assured destruction for any of them to go ‘low’. The debate will be won through force of presentation, who do voters feel most comfortable believing?

Ron, have you listened to Rep. Deal speak? Not so much what he says, rather his ability to say it? That’s my only point, who best represents?

I think the matter is moot, Counselor Oxendine will prolly be the one to show up.

• Ron Daniels says:

The times I’ve heard Rep Deal speak he has been hit and miss quite honestly. He really got flustered back in March or April in Warner Robins when a couple of his opponents kept bringing up the “Contract” stuff.

I don’t think Deal’s training as a lawyer will help him insomuch as his ability to come off folksy. Stick with that, appeal to the right portions of society and make Roy look like a high-falutin’ city lawyer. I think Johnson does that real well and so does Deal. Specifically I cite his entry speech “if you want a Governor that ties his own shoes” – paraphrasing there but you get my point.

Handel’s debating ability has never impressed me, she hits the points but she uses jargon too much. Which is O.K. in some venues, but not in others. And I have been limited in how many times I’ve seen her speak.

• B Balz says:

I agree with your assessment and appreciate your first person knowledge as well. I am really turned off by those that have really strong opinions about pols they have never met.

• polisavvy says:

If Roy can get under Deal’s skin like Austin Scott could, then points will be given to Roy. Personally, I think Roy will be able to fluster any of them. That’s just my opinion, of course. NOTE: I am not going to vote for Roy no matter what. If I don’t like who the GOP nominee is, I may just skip it like I did the Lt. Gov.

• Ron Daniels says:

For the record it was Handel that got him flustered that night in Warner Robins. But he had been hammered by several others that night too, so I can understand his flusteration. That’s a legal term. I made it up.

Also, Nathan Deal reminds me of my Grandpa. I think that’s a plus factor for him.

• I don’t think the fall election will be won based on debates. Roy certainly will have the advantage there, but these debates will be watched by only a handfull of folks.

The Republican nomninee will have a war chest built in no time after the August 10th runoff and their media strategy will make the argument for them as November 2nd approaches.

This is not going to be a great year to run as a former, failed, Democrat Governor.

• B Balz says:

Hope springs eternal. You’re point about the value of debate is …well… hard to debate since most voters will be watching Idol or that whacky show with people getting bounced into the water instead.

11. Red Phillips says:

Icarus, what is truly silly is allowing someone to frame the issue as “your party ‘hates’ gays.” Regardless of where one stands on the social issues, no one should allow people to get away with that sort of rhetorical dishonesty. An unwillingness to normalize homosexuality does not equal hate.

“The strong suggestion here is that in order for one not to be thought of as racist or fascist, then one must not only be nonjudgmental but must also embrace the ‘new’ moral absolutes: diversity, choice, sensitivity, sexual orientation, and tolerance. Political correctness is a Machiavellian psychological ‘command and control’ device. Its purpose is the imposition of uniformity in thought, speech, and behavior.”

From the same article I referred Doug Grammer to yesterday.

• Goldwater Conservative says:

That isn’t the point Red. I know you want to frame this as some liberal or even Marxist agenda…that is what conservatives do best. They mislead people and lable all that with which they disagree as socialist, marxist, communist or fascist.

Tolerance is important for any democracy and there are plenty of democratic theorist that go so far as excluding those that exhibit blatant intolerance from the democratic process all together. I am not entirely one of those…excluding anybody is a dangerous line to walk down.

The point of the whole “tolerance” trip is that, in areas defined as political, a non-biased form of rational thought should guide decision making. By non-biased I mean secular and by thought I mean just that…thought and not emotion that has been brought to the surface through negative rhetoric.

The GOP doesn’t hate gays. I admit that even. The GOP does, however, encourage anti-gay and racist behavior because it is one of their trump cards with upwards of 30% of the American population (when aggregated). Just 12 years ago 15% of the American population said they would not vote for a black man that was running for the presidency. Just 4 years ago a majority of Georgians (that claim to love freedom) declared their belief that gays are not entitled to equal rights to engage in contractual agreements.

The entire history of “conservatism” has been adverse to the expansion of freedom and has relied on hatred as a political tactic. Conservatism was the source of Jim Crow laws. Conservatives fought civil rights legislation. Conservatives attempted to deny the application of 1st Amendment rights to speech and assembly to communists and other variants of the ideology. Conservatives still do not believe women are entitled to medical privacy and that gays do not deserve equal rights to engage in contract.

What about conservatism spells out liberty? Nothing. Liberty to you people is a cue…a buzz word used to “rally the troops around the flag.” Liberty is not the denial of fundamental rights to segments of the population because some imaginary diety from 2000 years ago said being gay is bad.

Liberals, all of us, believe in diversity of opinion. But, when the political is the topic, we believe the source of opinions should be human reason. You do not have to be an atheist to access your capacity for human reason and leave “god” out of the debate.

12. Ramblinwreck says:

I’m looking forward to the primaries being over for a non political reason. I’m building a shooting range and all those plastic campaign signs make really dandy target backers (backs to tack real targets to), they’ll be free and in plentiful supply.

Also, I’ll be glad to get control of my post office box again which is usually is half full of “give me money” and/or “vote for me because I suck less than my opponent” flyers.

• polisavvy says:

Touche, Ramblinwreck. If it weren’t for the political ads in my mailbox, there would hardly be anything in it. As it stands now, we are inundated with their propaganda. I look forward to November 3rd when it will all cease. I particularly loved your “vote for me because I suck less than my opponent” sentence. Hysterically funny and so sad but true.

• Buzzfan says:

My oldest son, my better half and I were all at the range at Wilson Shoals WMA yesterday and the boy made a similar comment about campaign signs on the way home… the point of which ones would make the best target holders!

I built a PVC target holder that we use, but there’s no lack of campaign / real estate signs at the ranges.

• polisavvy says:

Would you be willing to share the design? My husband and son go shooting a lot. They’d love to have one.

• Buzzfan says:

These plans were my template, with a tweek or two. Spent about $13-$14 at Lowe’s and spent about a ½-hour doing the cutting and initial assembly. I added caps (cemented) to the ends of the PVC making up the base. I also opted for 1″ PVC rather than 3/4″. Takes about 2 minutes to assemble and take down each visit.

• polisavvy says:

Thank you so very much. I have bookmarked it for them. Hopefully, after the election, he and my son can have a few weekends to go shooting.

• Ramblinwreck says:

To avoid the distraction of the background, the candidate info, we’re going to cover them with brown paper and staple the targets to them. They’ll last 5 times as long as the standard cardboard backers.

Any candiadates in Dade, Walker, Catoosa or Chattooga who want to get rid of your signs let me know.

13. Romegaguy says:

Speaking of silly season…. thank you for whomever is responsible shutting down Chris’ silly thread

14. GOPwits says:

What a painful interview to watch… The only reason this is still an issue is because they never addressed it when it first came up – so every story, every interview with Handel now has something to do with Gay Marriage and Adoption… Which is sad, considering the financial mess that Georgia is in…

I cannot wait till about midnight Tuesday July 20 so we know who the runoff is between. For God’s sake I hope one of them is Karen Handel because if not, I fear that Roy Barnes will waltz into the Governor’s Mansion once again…