Rasmussen Poll for Governor

First poll out that doesn’t have Oxendine in the run-off (943 people, 3% MOE taken July 13th)

A new Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of Likely Voters in Georgia finds Deal and Handel each earning 25% support. State Insurance Commissioner John Oxendine, the early leader in the Republican race, runs a close third with 20% of the vote.

Clearly the majority of those polled don’t read Peach Pundit:

Deal, who resigned from the House to run for governor just after he voted against the health care bill, is viewed Very Favorably by 22% of the state’s GOP Primary voters and Very Unfavorably by eight percent (8%). One-in-five (21%) don’t know enough about him to venture any kind of opinion.

For Handel, Very Favorables are 19% and Very Unfavorables are seven percent (7%). Sixteen percent (16%) have no opinion of her.

Seventeen percent (17%) have a Very Favorable opinion of Oxendine, while 13% view him Very Unfavorably. Eleven percent (11%) have no opinion of the longtime insurance commissioner.

Other tid bits:

Perdue has a 71% approval rating amoung the Republicans polled. Men favor Deal, women favor Handel and only 7% approve of President Obama.

1. Three Jack says:

which of the ox-tards will be first to point out that handel is a pro-choice, gay loving liar after checking out this poll. i can hear the alarms going off now at ox headquarters…attack, attack, attack!

2. zigmaster says:

Wow. Three polls in last three days with numbers all over the map. One thing is for sure, Karen is toast if she makes the run-off. Social conservatives will consolidate behind Deal or Johnson. Ox will be in 4th place by Tuesday.

John Oxendine 20%
    Karen Handel 25%
    Nathan Deal 25%
    Eric Johnson 13%
    Some Other Candidate 3%
    Not Sure 14%

• polisavvy says:

I agree. The poll released a few days ago by Magellan sure produced different numbers. I wonder why that is?

• KingWulfgar says:

I’m not a social conservative, I just don’t like liars or the way she’s handled it (and I’m not an Ox-tard, either–I’d vote for Barnes over Ox or Deal). I would’ve had more respect for Karen if she’d just admitted she pandered to the LCR instead of sticking to the lie even after getting caught in it. I also would have preferred her not give taxpayer money (for any reason) to Planned Parenthood.

3. Max Power says:

The fact that the poll has Perdue with a 71% approval rate is enough to make it suspect.

• Max Power says:

At this point even among Republicans I think that’s high. If 71% of Republicans really do approve of Perdue, then they’re even more delusional than I suspected.

• KingWulfgar says:

“…they’re even more delusional than I suspected.”

I think you’ll find this is true. Way too many of my fellow GOP members love good ol’ Sonny.

Also, +1 for your screenname.

• ZazaPachulia says:

Were only Republicans included in this poll? If so, somebody needs to remind the folks at Rasmussen that Georgia conducts something called an open primary. If you live in a Republican area and you’re an independent or Democrat (Forsyth, Cherokee, Cobb, Gwinnett, Fayette, Henry, etc., etc.), chances are you’re going to pull a Republican ballot Tuesday so that you can vote in your local races.

(For a further explanation of this phenomenon, See Doug MacGinititie’s terrible attack ad about Kemp’s voting record in Athens)

• Scott65 says:

Are there 943 people in GEORGIA who even approve of Perdue??? If Republicans are even suspect of the #, well…maybe they accidentally transposed the numbers…17% sounds reasonable. Maybe they just forgot the “dis” in disapprove. 29% approval would also be reasonable.

4. I Am Jacks Post says:

“Clearly the majority of those polled don’t read Peach Pundit”

That’s funny because it’s true.

5. In The Arena says:

Keep in mind that when this poll was taken, the Palin endorsement for Handel had been in the press for a day. Newt had just made his endorsement for Deal that afternoon and it was not in the press. The majority of voters had not found out about it yet. When you factor this in, Deal is probably at very least 4 to 6 points ahead of Handel.

• I agree. In any other state, a Palin endorsement would probably trump one from Newt. Here in Georgia, like him or hate him (commercial with Pelosi on “Global Warming”), he still has a lot of support.

This is a big Deal! Real!

• James Fannin says:

In this state a Palin endorsement trumps Newt hands down. If you are a non-profit and you are trying to raise money, do you try to pack the house with Newt or Sarah? Too easy, Sarah. I’m a fan of Newt but let’s not kid ourselves, he was always a national figure who only lived here because he needed a district from which to run. Given an option of where to live, Georgia was not on his mind. He lives inside the beltway because that’s his real home. He endorsed Deal because unfortunately career Washington, DC politicians think other career Washington, DC politicians have all the answers. On this one, I’m starting to come around to the Tea Party way of thinking. We won’t fix unemployment until all the DC politicians are unemployed.

• In The Arena says:

Palin’s endorsement boosted Handel into a tie with Deal. Now Newt’s endorsement pushes Deal way ahead of Handel.

Someone from Wasilla, Alaska probably has a better feel for Georgia the country than Georgia the state. She can’t see the state from her backyard.

Nice spin James, but not nearly as spun as the information Handel gave Palin’s camp to get their endorsement.

6. MouthoftheSouth says:

Rasmussen probably has a tighter likely voter model than the others; maybe they see turnout as way down and only the hardcore will vote.

Or maybe they are making everyone they call sign a loyalty oath to Scott Rasmussen.

7. MouthoftheSouth says:

from above: “Men favor Deal, women favor Handel and” llamas are solidly behind Oxendine.

• Words could not describe it.

I thought all along that if the public could only look into his eyes and hear him talk, they would choose another candidate. I have a good BS detector, and didn’t trust the guy from the first time I met him during the 1994 campaign cycle.

Thanks to his large war chest, as ill gotten as it was, the Georgia public has now gotten to know what most of us have known for a while. The Oxendine “ick” factor.

• Tireless says:

OX losing doesn’t make me feel any better about Handel or Deal. Two of those three were former democrats and one is a liberal today. I say conservatives are royally screwed if any of those dingbats win.

8. AthensRepublican says:

Can the GOP campaign for Governor disintegrate any further? I don’t see how Oxendine, Deal or Handel beat Roy Barnes.

9. sahughes says:

71% of Republicans support Perdue?
    Ox wins in runoffs?

Good job, Georgia. Way to not look like a bunch of uninformed voters who live in lala land. Please, elect and support more inept officials that will continue to usher our state through the circles of hell.

10. Three Jack says:

doug richards decides to carry water for the oxdeal campaigns:

Q: Do you view committed gay relationships as being less legitimate than committed heterosexual relationships?

A: As a Christian, I view relationships and marriage as being between a man and a woman.

Q: But what about the legitimacy of the relationship? Do you have any gay friends? Do you know gay couples?

A: Of course I do. Are we going to spend our whole day talking on this issue?

Q: I want to know how you feel about this.

A: I’ve been very clear. And you know, as a Christian, marriage is between a man and a woman. I do not think that gay relationships are — they are not what God intended. And that’s just my viewpoint on it. Others might disagree with that. But I would also hope that if you look at what is happening in our state, we’ve got issues we need to be focused on in Georgia . We have a constitutional amendment against gay marriage. And it’s something that I supported wholeheartedly. We have that, and let’s get dealing with the other issues that we also need to deal with in Georgia. And the press can help with that. (Laughs).

Q: Frequently, folks in the Legislature kind of threaten to — there are always rumblings in the Legislature that they may outlaw gay adoptions. You’re against gay adoption.

A: I am against gay adoption. But remember — I mean, if there is legislation on that, certainly I will follow that and look at it. But in the end, ultimately courts are going to be the ones to have to make the decision on that and it’s always in the best interests of the child. Do I think that gay parents is in the best interest of the child? No. But we do have our court system that deals with many and most of those issues.

Q: Would you favor outlawing gay adoptions?

A: Yeah, I would consider that, absolutely.

Q: Do you know any gay couples with children?

A: Not that I’m aware of.

Q: So you think gay couples are less qualified to function as parents than straight couples?

A: I think that for a child to be in a household — in a family in a household with a situation where the parents are not married, as in one man and one woman, is not the best household for a child.

Q: Is it better or worse than a single parent household?

A: Doug, I’m really trying to be straightforward with you but I’m not going to debate all the nuances. I’ve made it abundantly clear that I think that marriage is between a man and a woman. And that’s what I believe, and I don’t know what more you would like me to add to that.

Q: I guess I want to know why you think gay parents aren’t as legitimate as heterosexual parents.

A: Because I don’t.

Q: (Pause) Well, I realize that.

A: Well, Doug, we’re not going to spend the whole day discussing this issue. And you know, it ’s really kind of disappointing — we invited you on this (leg of the bus trip).

Q: I know.

A: So we’re going to need to move on.

• B Balz says:

Here is my take on the above: Posted July 15, 2010 at 10:46 am

In my opinion, Ms. Handel mishandles Mr. Doug Richards:

I can understand the exasperation that Ms. Handel must have felt after inviting 11Alive reporter Mr. Doug Richards on board her campaign bus. Further, the issue of ‘gay marriage’, ‘gay adoption’ is far less important to me, than the manner in which Ms. Handel chooses to respond to Mr. Richards who was clearly pressing the issue:

Q: Is it better or worse than a single parent household?

A: Because I don’t.

Q: (Pause) Well, I realize that.

Q: I know.

A: So we’re going to need to move on.

At any given time, the Governor may face a dogged fourth estate, and using the ‘we’re going to need to move on’ response doesn’t impress me much.

An ability to express oneself clearly (as was done) while being patient and not being dismissive are important skills for the top executive in any undertaking.

Mishandling the press is easy to do. Had Ms. Handel simply continually repeated her positions (which were well stated) she would have come off looking badgered instead of dismissive.

• AthensRepublican says:

A pathetic interview and response by Karen Handel to what I felt were ridiculous accusations to begin with by other candidates in this race. With our unemployment rate, budget crisis and other major issues affecting all Georgians it is a shame that gay adoption and marriage is the dominant issue in this campaign.

• Yep. If Republicans were truly for a limited government, they’d see that they should butt out of peoples’ private lives and get on with worrying about more important issues. Gay marriage and adoption shouldn’t be issues at all… they should be legal and non-issues. So long as the GOP has it’s head stuck in the Georgia red clay I’m sure they will continue to try and limit the rights of the homosexual population of Georgia.

• Lady Thinker says:

I agree Athens Republican. They ask her stupid questions as if that is the qualifications for office and not about the issues facing the state and what she plans to do with jobs, the economy, water issues, immigration, Obamacare, and a host of other things more important that the gay questions that the media and the posters keep bringing up and misconstruing.

• B Balz says:

G’d, guns, and gays. Said it before, sayin’ it again. It isn’t right, it isn’t good, and it isn’t what I signed up for in the GOP.

Got an Insurance Commish who is running on an A+ Christian Coalition rating.

Got a front page poster relegating all of us from the ‘premier GOP blog’ to loud racists.

And on and on….

Oh and Karen. Instead of saying, “With our unemployment rate, budget crisis and other major issues affecting all Georgians it is a shame that gay adoption and marriage is the dominant issue in this campaign” and going forward, she waffles.

GOP in Georgia . . .

• polisavvy says:

I’ve grown weary of the whole thing to be quite frank. It’s the same old crap, just a different day. It kind of reminds me of “Goundhog Day.”

• I Am Jacks Post says:

Cut the guy a break. Can you blame him for trying to get a straight answer out of Handel? It ain’t easy.

• polisavvy says:

Of course, no one can blame him for trying. That’s his job. I just found the whole thing terribly awkward. And, in the end, nothing was accomplished.

• polisavvy says:

But, did he get the answer he was fishing for? If not, nothing was accomplished. I think it was more vague and ambiguous than inept.

• B Balz says:

Poorly handling the press is a rookie error. I could crack wise that you cannot blame this on the lack of a college degree, but that is not a topic that is usually taught in school.

No, the lack of skill in handling the press is a rookie mistake, indicates to a candidate is not ready or able to handle the pressure of being Governor.

Had she looked at Mr. Richards, laughed charmingly, and repeated her previous statements, she would have appeared to look badgered. That would lead viewers to garner sympathy at being the victim of a relentless, overbearing male reporter.

Effective media relations is a part of being the top dog. A person can lose every bit of credibility in a matter of one botched interview that end up on the networks.

• Three Jack says:

after doug’s first question, “Do you view committed gay relationships as being less legitimate than committed heterosexual relationships?”…if i was karen handel, my answer would be:

doug, who gives a crap. do you think 1 million unemployed georgians are sitting around worrying about gay freakin relationships? what is your problem doug…why are you so obsessed with this non-issue gay thing. would you like to share your secret lifestyle with the audience? next question if you can conjure up something relevant to our current plight.

come on karen (wo)man up. you’re letting nobody local reporters make you look bad.

11. dusty ride says:

There are many urgent political matters which concern the welfare of all. Being gay is not one of them and as such this should be of little concern to the public at large. It has nothing to do with politics. Nor, do I believe that the quanity of water used during a baptism has anything to do with assurances of heavenly salvation. Same argument, irrelevant, move on please.