Praise God

Can I just say that if we have a Deal v. Handel runoff we are saved! Hallelujah. Sure it’ll be ugly for a few weeks and they’ll beat the crap out of each other, but no Oxendine? That’s brilliant.

But we still need to make sure we finish Ox off so he can’t revive his political career.

• Erick says:

Nonsense. I’d much prefer a Johnson v. Handel runoff because Johnson is my second choice and Deal my third. I like Eric tremendously. But I don’t think he’s going to be able to pull it off.

Above all else, I want Ox finished off. That to me is a greater priority than a Handel victory.

• Tyler says:

I agree with the EJ sentiment. He’s definitely my 2nd choice as well. I see Karen as the best possible person to put up against Barnes and someone who will work best as Governor.

Oxendine is toxic. Having him with 500 miles of the Governor’s mansion is bad enough. We need him out of Georgia politics, permanently.

• Well, that’s good to hear. I believe that if we have an EJ/Handel runoff, we’re set for November in the gubernatorial election. I think that he can do and I stand by that.

• That is an interesting thought. What the hell will Ox do when he has his a** handed to him next week?

I wish Erick would do an open thread on that topic. It would be good comic relief to get everyone’s input.

Who would hire an unsuccessful lawyer with no position of power from which to threaten others or get his way any longer? Certainly not the insurance companies he shook down over the years.

He couldn’t be a lobbyist. Who in the world would take his calls and agree to meet with him? In fact, he’ll probably take the lead from former Atlanta Mayor Bill Campbell and leave the state, if we’re lucky.

• EllaPatriot says:

I am new to Peach Pundit…have often heard about it but never contributed before. I can be silent no more. Why on earth are there still people who are willing to vote for Ox? With all the Congress’ back room deals and the bullying way of Congress — how can there still be people who would want someone who has those “tendencies” to be in any form of government in Georgia or anywhere else? To think that John would be solid, untainted once he walks in the doors of the Governors office is absurd. I just dont understand.

1. iamnotasocialist says:

Can I just point out that this is the same poll that has Bill Bolton in third place, beating both Porter and Poythress?

Just food for thought.

2. rightofcenter says:

I agree, Erick. Handel and Deal or Handel and Johnson, the state will elect a Republican with a real chance to be a good or great governor. Elect the Ox and we hand the keys back to Ol Roy, and it will be a disaster.

3. Biased says:

Have to agree with the sentiment. Every sock puppet has to brush aside their candidate’s flaws, but I never got how an Oxendine supporter could brush away 2, 5, 10, a binder full…
    If we played categories with ‘Ox Scandals’, we could probably get a dozen in…
    though busing in 40 mentally handicapped people takes the cake

• Ambernappe says:

….and 150 home-schooled Christian high schoolers whose parents probably did not know just what they had been recruited to do.

• Provocateur says:

Karen Handel is being investigated for violations of state ethics laws as reported by FOX 5 News last week. If “accounting errors” like hers and Johnson’s are “crooked” then they are both crooks.

4. flyonthewall says:

With all due respect Eric (and I do respect your perspective very much), I think you are underestimating Nathan in a runoff with Karen. North Georgia (those counties north of Atlanta) represents about a quarter of the voters in the Republican primary. We can all agree that the overall turnout will be less for the runoff, but I maintain that Nathan’s popularity in North Georgia (at one point in his career he has represented every county in N.Ga) will turnout very solidly for him. I concede that Karen’s base in N. Fulton will be very helpful in her efforts, but I don’t think it will be enough. I think S. Georgia will collectively serve as the swing vote in a runoff and S. Georgia will not go for Karen.

Nathan has deep South Georgia ties. I am from SE Georgia and I have had some interesting conversations with some community leaders regarding Karen. Nearly all of them were very clear. If Karen won the primary, they would support and vote for Roy. Eric’s base will shift to Nathan (this assumes that Eric himself doesn’t find himself in the runoff, which may be a big assumption). In my humble opinion, Nathan or Eric beat Karen in a runoff because simply put, she is not marketable to your typical Rep primary voter that is not from the metro area. Just my 2 cents.

• Ambernappe says:

I have had conversations with many voters in the South Central (Houston, Butts, Monroe) counties and am pleasantly surprised with the support for her.