Latest on Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson has rolled out a list of endorsements, including former Sen. Mack Mattingly, in the last couple of days and he is also calling on his opponents to pull their negative ads and focus on, you know, the actual issues affecting and facing Georgia.

The list of legislators endorsing Johnson can be found below the fold.

• President Pro Tem Tommie Williams
  • Representative Bob Smith
  • Representative Ron Stephens
  • Representative Willie Talton
  • Representative Joe Wilkinson
  • Representative Mark Williams
  • Representative John Yates

1. This is the moment of truth for Johnson. I think he’s been waiting for this moment and he’s playing all of his cards right and now he’s seeing the fruit of his efforts. I do believe this and his increased campaign efforts will get him a spot in the runoff.

2. Ludwig Von Beachbum says:

No way! An increased campaign effort? Johnson should stand a deliver in regards to what part he played in the shady Jekyll deal and the emails he sent trying to expedite a vote before Senator Chapman could react to what they were trying to slam though. I look at an endorsement from a body that knows about this as signing off on it. And it is doubtful that any of those senators did not or Mattingly. The good old boy club at work.

• polisavvy says:

I’m amazed at the number of people who have written him off. He might be down, but he’s not out (yet anyhow).

3. Ludwig Von Beachbum says:

Almost all call on their opponents to stop the negatives.

Look for the candidate that doesn’t .

But what is wrong with a negative if it is a true negative?

4. benevolus says:

They wouldn’t go negative if it didn’t work.
    In the general election, the Parties and affiliated groups can do the negative stuff so that the candidate can stay above that. But in the primaries, I guess the blogs aren’t effective enough yet.

5. Debra says:

If Johnson is the republican candidate, I will not vote for Gov in the general election. I’m tired of the good ole boys running this state and a vote for Johnson is a vote for the good ole boys. This is not an endorsement for Karen, I’m a all out Jeff Chapman fan.

• benevolus says:

Well, there are political “good old boys”, and then there are Southern “good old boys”. I think Johnson is more of the latter.

• GG says:

Johnson is a Southern “good old boy” who doles out cash to Democrats at the expense of Republican Candidates and panders to Atlanta for the vote.

• capnswifty says:

He is the only front-running candidate in the race to have run a business in the private sector, and to lump him in the “good ol boy” category is unjust.

• GG says:

He worked for an engineering firm who had name recognition before Johnson even moved to Savannah. First and formost he is a politician who owes his allegiance to large development groups. Jekyll Island is a fine example. He would seek to condemn a graveyard if he thought his firm could design, engineer and build condos on the land. He turned his back on a voters in Coastal Georgia when they asked for help to stop treated effluent from being discharged in to a salt estuary. Laurel View/Trade Port East Project. The Skidaway Marine Institute came out against the Liberty County Plant but the EPD issued the permit anyway. EJ never once attended a public hearing despite the fact that the hearings drew people from all of the surrounding counties. The largest turn out ever for a public hearing in Coastal Georgia . As it turns out the engineering firm building the plant contributed to his campaign. The Savannah River is one of the most polluted rivers in the United States and the Ogeechee River is on the list of impaired rivers. So fair warning if you plan to come to Coastal Georgia you might not want to eat the fish or swim in any of the rivers. Might even think twice about the ocean as these rivers dump directly into the ocean.

6. AthensRepublican says:

A lot of people have been appalled at the rhetoric being dished out by the other 3 candidates in this race in both their campaign ads and their media interviews over the last couple of days. I believe Eric Johnson’s message this afternoon will resonate with Georgia Republican voters that are looking for leadership on real issues that affect all of us.

7. Bobby Butterworth says:

I think Eric is a great candidate for Governor. You cannot just write him off. I was on the fence for a few days and sat on my absentee ballot. After taking a look at my top three which were Karen, Eric, and Nathan… Eric seemed like the Go To choice. He’s a good social conservative (which I really don’t care too much about) but I just don’t know about Karen’s back and forth on something like that. I feel like she is more of a social liberal she should just come out and play the proud women’s rights card. If she becomes the nominee I will support her.

God help us all if Oxendine gets through- so glad to see him dropping.I know this is a game of who can beat Roy Barnes but I wouldn’t write EJ off there either.

I’m ready to see an underdog surge here in the next three days… GO ERIC!

• AthensRepublican says:

Nope. I got a robocall from him tonight. I bet most people receiving that call don’t have a clue who Mack Mattingly is/was.

• TPNoGa says:

I feel so left out. I haven’t received a single piece of campaign mail or robocall. The NRA sure has no problem calling me every day, but no one running for office.

8. Romegaguy says:

Most voters across the state dont know who anybody on that list is or who Eric Johnson is

9. James Fannin says:

Eric Johnson has been showing up at Tea Party events but he is apparently doing all the talking and none of the listening. The message is loud and clear – no more career politicians so what does he do? He rolls out a long list of Gold Domer good ole boys. You almost have to feel sorry for him.

• Tireless says:

Seeing how those are the people the next governor will have to work with to find a few billion dollars in budget cuts, I think that list is quite impressive. Of course getting a fly-by endorsement from Palin or Newt is so much more impressive to those that are clueless.

10. Ludowici says:

It does seem like EJ’s endorsement list from the Senate would have been much longer. I wonder why most of the people who knew him best apparently didn’t want him leading the executive branch of government? I’m really surprised to not see Robert Brown’s name on that list!

11. USA1 says:

Johnson’s now got my vote after saying he wants to create a Guantanamo in Georgia for illegal immigrants. This is exactly the type of leadership I am looking for in a candidate. Someone who is proud to say he will follow the lead of War Crim…er…former President Bush and create a legal no man’s land for people who have not been found guilty of any crime, nor have they had the right to challenge their confinement. When Republicans and tea-partiers talked about getting back to the Constitution, this is what I had in mind. I would sincerely like to offer my services for this “Guantanamo in Georgia,” because I would love to work there. I eagerly anticipate being able to torture inmates so I can destroy them physically and mentally. Then when they return to their own country, they will be mad at the U.S. and want to commit terrorist acts against us. Then Sarah (once she’s elected president in 2012) can start a war with Mexico. As Mr. Erickson is fond of saying…. PRAISE GOD!

12. AthensRepublican says:

I am a Johnson supporter (though I reserve the right to change my mind till I vote) and cringed when I heard this on the news. I support stronger enforcement and stronger laws to address the illegal immigration problem but this shows a clear lack of humanity. I am waiting on another candidate to come out favoring mass executions of illegal immigrants. Johnson is suppose to be the”jobs” candidate.

It seems like all the candidates are throwing anything out there to see what sticks.

I received Deal’s mailpiece today touting Handel’s “Record of Gay Activism” and another with Oxendine chiming in on the same themes. Are we suppose to believe that she will host lesbian orgies at the Governor’s mansion if she is elected?

Then I heard Handel’s support for outlawing gay adoption. She is pro-life yet she wants to restrict adoption?

No one is talking about unemployment, education,transportation or the budget crisis at least not to the extent it can be heard at the time people are making their vote selections. The candidates are not showing their compassion for people as a whole but rather their disdain for certain groups and to what extent they would go after those groups. What should be the major issues of this campaign are the ones that effect all of us.

The major candidates asking us to elect them as our next Governor just don’t get it.

13. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Whether you love him or hate him, anyone who’s heard him speak in the past knows he’s an entertaining speaker. Some good quips and off-the-cuff comments. That’s why I’m shocked his commercials are so bland, generic and vanilla. Who’s running his campaign?

14. Provocateur says:

40 people online tonight on PeachPundit…400,000+ primary GOP voters. Percent in the union of those 2 numbers: 0.01%