Former Rep Billy McKinney Dies

Perhaps best known to those around here as “Cynthia’s dad”, long time state representative Billy McKinney has died, according to the AJC:

Rep. Tyone Brooks (D-Atl.), a longtime friend of McKinney, confirmed the death.

On Common Ground News reported on its Web site Thursday that McKinney, a Democrat who served 30 years as a state legislator, died among family and friends Thursday at his home in southwest Atlanta, according to sources who were with his wife, Leola.

The newspaper said McKinney had been ill for a while and that he died surrounded by people who were close to him, some of them holding his hand.

1. Although I doubt you could find one thing Billy and I would agree on, but my personal experiences with him down at the capitol were always pleasant enough. However, he was also a person who seamed to have no problem pulling a knife at the capitol or assaulting Jill Chambers and other Republican poll watchers at DeKalb polling place when Jill was DeKalb GOP Chair. He always drove a beat up green pick-up with dozens of liberal bumper stickers covering the tail-gate. I’m sure if you started pealing back the layers, you’d find years of candidates and causes. Ron Forrester once snuck on of his bumper stickers on their and Billy kept it there.

2. iamnotasocialist says:

Can I be frank with you guys at PP? When someone related to, or of the Republican party passes away, you turn off comments. But when a Democrat dies, you let comments be turned on, for egregious comments like “Well, bye?” Seriously, thats a double standard that should not even have to be pointed out, guys. For shame.

3. polisavvy says:

Though I am not a fan of either Billy or Cynthia. This is still a very sad thing for any family to have to go through and instead of making snide remarks, we should all be offering our sincere condolences to the family.

• B Balz says:

From Teddy Roosevelt’s famous speech (quote below) and not the contributor of the same name. Regret confusion.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” T.R. Roosevelt

• polisavvy says:

I wasn’t thinking of our In the Arena contributor. I was just wanting you to explain why you put that quote. Now I completely understand. What a wonderful thing you just posted. I thank you for your contribution. Like I said earlier, rather someone liked him or hated him, a family is still grieving.

4. fishtail says:

Billy McKinney was feriously loyal to his family and friends and an aggressive tornado to his enemies. He always made things interesting.

5. Icarus says:

I’ll close the comments on this one.

My thought in having open comments here is that Rep. McKinney was a public figure. The only one I can remember closing was earlier in the week, for Gerry Purcell’s father. He was not a public figure.

Regardless, comments on this thread are now closed.