Gingrich Endorses Deal. Real.

You may remember an earlier post of mine, in which I subtly mentioned it was interesting that Newt was coming out supporting Deal’s credentials but not fully endorsing. At that time I assumed they were saving the full endorsement till closer to July 20th. Well now former Speaker Gingrich has come out with a “Real” endorsement for Deal.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is throwing his support behind Republican Nathan Deal in the GOP primary for governor.

Gingrich on Tuesday called Deal “a solid conservative with a solid record.”

He made the remarks after a Georgia Chamber of Commerce luncheon in Atlanta. He arrived wearing a Deal lapel pin.

Gingrich served in the U.S. House with Deal and called the Republican from Gainesville “an old friend.”

Seven Republicans are vying for their party’s nomination in Georgia’s July 20 primary. Gingrich said he is “not against any candidate. I’m for Nathan Deal.”

Gingrich’s support comes the day after former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin endorsed Karen Handel, one of Deal’s rivals.

h/t: AJC’s Political Insider

1. John Konop says:

Can we show little class and not have all the opponents now rip Newt. No matter the endorsement you guys show no class if the person does not back your candidate. I would bet any amount of money if they backed your candidate you would nominate the person for saint hood.

• Chris says:

Sarah Palin is a bumpkin and with her endorsement I’ve given up asking anyone but the religious-right freaks from voting for Handel.

• Provocateur says:

Chris: Are you saying you are not a supporter of Handel’s? How can you be posting on the front page of Peach Pundit???

• Ambernappe says:

Newt Gingrich is very intelligent and “politically savvy”. His endorsement of Representative Deal was announced several days before the Palin endorsement of Karen Handel, and I have been wondering how it was missed. Unfortunately, to me, it represents an unfortunate confirmation of pragmatism over idealism – same old, same old…………………….

2. Chris says:

Wasn’t Newt Gingrich the guy who promised to do a bunch of conservative things then didn’t do any of them?

Gingrich is a fraud.

• Doug Grammer says:

Nope Speaker Gingrich was the leader who said we would vote on 10 bills in the first 100 days. The Contract only promised to “bring to the House Floor the following bills, each to be given full and open debate, each to be given a clear and fair vote and each to be immediately available this day for public inspection and scrutiny. That was done. President Clinton vetoed some of it and some of it was made into law.

• biagio bruno says:

Very true. But he is also the one who wanted to talk health care reform with Hilary, appeared in commercials with Pelosi. He also declined his final term after being elected. All in all, a good endorsement for Deal given the timing, but after what was said about Palin yesterday, Newt is not without his negatives.

• USA1 says:

Also, Gingrich is the guy who was cheating on his second wife with his then-mistress-and-congressional-aide/now-third-wife, at the same time as he was leading the Clinton impeachment hearings.

Thems some good ol conservative family values!

• Ambernappe says:

That is why I mentioned “same old”………….was able to overlook (forgive) only the first case, and was stunned by his subsequent antics.

3. John Konop says:

On a serious note it is no secret Deal looks like he is falling in the polls. And Newt is a fairly savvy politically, so why did he endorse Deal?

4. TPNoGa says:

It is gonna be ugly around here for the next week. Also, I need to DVR all shows, or suffer through a barrage of ads. I hate the week leading up to an election.

• polisavvy says:

I agree with you about the ugliness. Attack ad after attack ad will blitz our televisions. Thank goodness for remote controls, huh?

• TPNoGa says:

Agreed. We may make it through next Tuesday, but then we will have the always dreaded and never pleasant…RUNOFF!

• polisavvy says:

I do (Braves — watch all the games). It’s amazing how proficient I have become at zapping these negative, nasty attack ads. Husband is improving daily. Think things are going to be okay.

• polisavvy says:

Oh, Lord, TPNoGa! Please don’t depress me. I have a horror of my remote breaking and me having to jump up every few minutes to change the channel. LOL!! 🙂

5. oompaloompa says:

I love Newt. But I swear I just can not wrap my head around this boneheaded move.

Just cannot understand it.

6. Tireless says:

Newt who? I am LMFAO at the notion anyone cares who Newt endorses. Newt left this state years ago and most of us remember his abysmal personal life and the fact he is a quitter. He’s spent the last ten years trying to rewrite his legacy while sucking up to anyone that will give him wedgie. Whooopie, Newt thinks his opinion matters.

• B Balz says:

Best post on post-Newt. Using proprietary data analysis, inference modeling and a unique SWAG algorithm, I predict it will be a run off between Ms. Handel and Mr. Oxendine, with a surprising, too little too late, spike from the Johnson camp.

• Tireless says:

Your proprietary models may be correct. If you are correct, I will not be voting in the fall. Both of the candidates will be a disaster for conservatives in Georgia. If he wins, Deal will spend the next four years doing scumbag “deals” with his cronies. If she wins, she will lurch to the left and warmly embrace all of the social progressive programs she has long endorsed…..abortion, gay benefits, etc. I would rather lose while standing on principles than win by supporting a crook or a dishonest dimwit.

7. James Fannin says:

Of course Newt’s opinion matters but the lack of vitriol from the Handel supporters signals that they don’t begrudge Nathan Deal the endorsement. The knock on Newt is that out of 10 ideas he comes up with 4 are brilliant and the others are boneheaded and there is rarely any middle ground. I suspect this one will fall into the “boneheaded” category. Of course, Newt and Nathan have a natural affinity. Both left the Congress steps ahead of the Ethics Committee posse. But you also have to give Newt some added points for loyalty. After all, he was the guy who pointed out to Nathan in clear and convincing terms that his district had gone Republican and he needed to run to the front of the passing parade and act like he was leading it or Newt threatened to recruit a real deal Republican and defeat him. Newt still matters but not sure his endorsement does.

8. MSBassSinger says:

Newt is a Rockefeller Republican, so, for me, his endorsement of a candidate means 1) the candidate is a Rockefeller Republican masquerading as a conservative, or 2) Newt is handing out endorsements he hasn’t thought through.

Newt has zero credibility with me, even less than Sarah Palin.

9. Romegaguy says:

Deal was talked into switching by Newt who then made sure that serious candidates didnt run against Deal right after he had switched political parties

10. As a teen, Newt Gingrich’s name means nothing to me. Yes, I’ve researched what he did in 90’s, but I didn’t live it like I’m living this now. When I see Newt hand out an endorsement, I see the “generic Republican” stamp placed on a candidate. As a teen, I am looking for either someone who is either young and fresh or someone who has a proven record of producing solutions, this doesn’t bode well for Deal in my mind because Gingrich is not “young and fresh” and during his time in Congress, he didn’t get as much done as he could have. I think that most young voters will probably have that same sentiment.

11. ricstewart says:

Remember that Gingrich endorsed Dede Scozzafava, too.
    She wasn’t a conservative and Nathan Deal isn’t, either.

12. GOPwits says:

I respected Newt way back in 1994, but by 1998, he was a joke.

He pushed the Contract for America and then after the votes failed, he did nothing to try and work the goals into law. It was all show – which is what Newt is as well… He’s one of those talking heads that says things conservatives like, but lives his life in ways that conservatives don’t… Newt pretty much exists off of corporate largess and speaking fees these days… Depending on who pays him, his position may or may not change on any given day…

It’s a sad state of affairs for someone who genuinely used to be a great leader.

• Provocateur says:

For whatever you ever try to accomplish in life, GOPwits, Newt has already done so much more good for this country than you could possibly ever do from now until the end of your life.

Newt is a great leader. You are not even a great blogger.

• Lady Thinker says:

Provocateur,

GOPwits is much more believable that you could possible be past, present, and future.