Georgia’s ballot access law strikes again

Via Jim Galloway, Brad Bryant will not be on the ballot in November, falling victim to the worst ballot access law in the nation:

The deadline for independent campaigns for spots on the November ballot is at noon today.

We’ve been told that Brad Bryant, appointed last month by Gov. Sonny Perdue to fill out the term of Kathy Cox, will fall short of the 44,000 signatures he needs to have himself placed on a statewide ballot. He’ll come in with 36,000, we hear.

The number of signatures collected in this short of amount of time is still very impressive.

Other independent and third party candidates will be turning signatures in today. We’ll keep you posted on who makes it.

[UPDATE] Ronald added his thoughts on this in the comments.

1. Ron Daniels says:

How dare you type faster than me!

Here’s what additional thoughts I had interjected:

It looks like Bryant will have 36,000 signatures – which is impressive. We have said it time and time again here, but our ballot access laws are some of the toughest in the country. I suspect Governor Perdue understands that now. I wonder if Bryant will attempt to stage a “Write-In” candidacy now.

To my knowledge the two most memorable “write-in” campaigns for a state wide office were Herman Talmadge’s campaign as Eugene’s insurance policy which caused the infamous “Three Governors” controversy. The other being Ellis Arnall’s attempt to prevent Lester Maddox from becoming Governor – which caused Bo Calloway to win a plurality of votes and, because of a party oath and a Democrat dominated legislature, for Maddox to be selected as the next Governor by the legislature.

• brettbittner says:

+3 for mentioning my favorite piece of Georgia history with the “Three Governors” controversy. It is probably the only thing I remember from my 8th grade Georgia History class.

2. CobbGOPer says:

We do need to reform this law and make it a little easier, because honestly this primary is proving to me that the Georgia GOP needs to purge some racists and sexists (and plain ignorant crooks) from its ranks and let them go start their own party.

3. TalmadgeGhost says:

Well, I’m a Dem, but from what I heard about this guy Bryant – I thought he ought to get a chance. I thought he would be better than the Schrenko trainwreck and Kathy with a “K” – who seemingly a very nice woman from my neck of the woods, had so much going on personally that she couldn’t have devoted the attention to that job it so desperately calls for.

Kathy with a “K” did no one any favors leaving when she did – who are the other folks in the running now??

4. Looks like one of the Big Government Party’s own is getting bit in the arse by one of the laws they created way back when. I’d prefer to see him on the ballot, but it’s only fair that he receive the same treatment as the other independent and third party candidates.

5. Doug Grammer says:

Meanwhile, in other related news, Allan Williamson has posted on FB that he has turned in all of the required 1376 signatures to run for State Rep. District 82 with a cushion. Good job!

6. Ambernappe says:

The process does seem antediluvian. My husband and I signed ballot petititions for Bryant on Saturday afternoon, but strangely, not another person who was approached while we were there even stopped to listen to the petitition bearers. Almost every one looked down and kept walking.

• Probably because most people outside shopping centers (where most of these petition drives are from my understanding) think that people out there are probably going to ask for money. Gathering signatures is a tough thing indeed… and can be rather costly as well depending on how many you need to collect.

7. Tiberius says:

Kathy Cox can write a manual entitled “How to Screw Your Political Party in the Most Efficient, Painful Way.”

8. bwjohnson83 says:

The ballot access restrictions are very bad in Ga.

Jeff Chapman is the only GOP candidiate endorsed by the independent voters of ga because of his stance to decrease restriction on ballot access.

He’ s the only candidate to publicly discuss this issues.

Check out his survey etc. http://www.georgiaindependentvoters.org

9. NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

While I agree that ballot access should be easier, I won’t pretend I am heartbroken that Bryant was unable to collect the required signatures.

He wants to continue Kathy Cox’s mess, so I am glad he won’t be a real choice come November. He wouldn’t have even tried if she hadn’t left and Perdue hadn’t put him in the position. I am so done with Sonny Perdue and his attempt at maintaining influence past his term that this is welcome news.

Maybe someone will get in there and get rid of Math 1-4.

• drjay says:

while i get there is a broader discussion about ballot access afoot–in this particular case…

remember how “outraged” we all were about sonny’s “handpicked” s.o.s. and that he should have appted a care taker–well for this post we basically now have that…unlike the guys already on the ballot, i don’t recall dude aspiring to this post before it was handed to him…

i will be interesting to see if he can wage a write in campaign–didn’t strom thurmond win one in sc back in the day???

• John Konop says:

Drjay,

The positive part is all the candidates are against the failed math 123 and are for vocational education. I have talked to John Barge and Joe Martin and both actually have very similar opinions on education.

I do think no matter who wins it will be an improvement over Kathy Cox pro- No Child Left Behind policy. And the worse candidate did not get on the ballot.

10. Vote Nathan Deal says:

Who cares about this guy. If he is so great he should have qualifieds to run earlier no matter what incumbent was around. Note I am only talking about this guy not ballot access. I wish ballot access was easier.

11. John Konop says:

The irony an insider Brad Bryant is appointed by the Governor to continue the failed lobbyist driven No Child Left Behind fiasco, leaving kids behind at tax payers’ expense while lining insiders pockets with money. And Bryant the insider promoting the insider lobbyist driven plan is the guy who is the victim of rules set up to protect insiders. You could not make up a story more ironic!