A Note About Spam And Threadjacking

We’re a week away from a primary. Emotions are high. We get that.

Just because you feel strongly about your candidate or a point, does not mean that you can post the same comment (or in today’s case, a youtube link without text or description) across NINE threads.

JDW is no longer with us. His/her posting rights may be restored after the primary.

Mayo, True Grit, and a few others take note. Make your point, once, in an appropriate thread. Pasting the same note over and over across threads will not be tolerated. And threadjacking will be on a tighter leash for the next week as well.

Also, anyone posting a link to an outside site without any context as to what that link contains will have that comment sent to the trash.

These are the rules. Live with them or you’ll go away for a while.

1. Provocateur says:

If I violated these rules before you posted, my apologies. I will adhere to them moving forward.

• Icarus says:

There’s been a lot of violations, and they’ve been getting worse. We try to moderate with a slight hand and only when necessary.

As election days get closer, the fever pitch increases, and our regulars (and even some of us contributors) tend to increase the emotions a bit. That’s all understandable.

But because of that, the need for civility in discussion over someone shouting the same thing over and over is greater, and thus the need for moderation.

Posting a link without a description 9 times across threads without similar topics is just plain spam. No warning need be given.

As for everyone else, keep it civil, on point, and as much as possible, non-repetitive.

The blogosphere thanks you in advance.

• Doug Grammer says:

I think you need to add permanent rules of conduct, and maybe even definitions as a top menu line.

We still want an edit feature. Would that be a thread jack? I would say no because we are talking about how PP should change. Others may disagree. Put it writing and we will know.

• polisavvy says:

I’d like to see “Rules of Decorum” implemented by Pundit, personally. Some of the people get way too carried away with their descriptive phrases. I’m definitely not a prude and anyone who knows me is aware of that fact; however, having said that, sometimes the language becomes waaaaay too colorful and vulgar.

• Progressive Dem says:

Rules? We don’t need no stinking rules.

Here’s the de-facto rule: If the Peach Pundit contributors don’t like your comment, you’re out. It’s much better to make rules up as we go. Along with facts from “binders”.

2. Bucky Plyler says:

I will not eat green eggs & spam…I will not eat them when I vote….I will not eat them with a goat…I will not eat them with an OX…I will not eat them with a Handel fox…I will not eat them with a Deal..nor will I eat them with Johnson, Putman, McBerry, I feel……

I just don’t like green eggs & spam….but JEFF CHAPMAN IS THE MAN !!!

• analogkid says:

He posted one comment a few weeks back that said he’s been busy with work and moving. Hopefully he’ll be back soon. This place needs rational people.

3. True Grit says:

Come on Ickie….I put three links to that on three appropriate threads. The “rules” only get put out there when someone disagrees with or posts a negative about Handel. My posts all had comments, granted the same comment.

If this would have been an anti-Ox post there would have been nothing said.

• “If this would have been an anti-Ox post there would have been nothing said.”

I doubt it. I too find it annoying to see the same comment posted multiple times… I don’t care if it’s a candidate I dislike or not.

You don’t have to be repetitive to get your point across. You don’t have to be repetitive to get your point across. You don’t have to be repetitive to get your point across.

• Icarus says:

You’re weren’t banned, and you weren’t edited. Your comments are still there.

But having a hissy fit that something you wanted on the front page immediately during rush hour is uncalled for.

4. True Grit says:

I won’t call putting out three comments about not getting someting on the front page a hissy fit. It wouldn’t matter what time of day it was or what the circumstances, if Ox has something negative, it hits the front page within minutes.

I do appreciate the fact that I was not banned or editted, don’t get me wrong.

5. rugby says:

I guess this is as good a time as any to say I don’t think I’ll be posting here anymore.

Started in 06, who can ever forget the thread that dared to dream, and the wonderful new comment system.

Need more time to work at work.

Bye for now.

6. Ludwig Von Beachbum says:

This place is pretty tolerant especially with all the bias, not so covert campaigning and Icarus being a goof.

Just end every post with “God bless Karen Handel or God bless her little Ol heart ” in the Southern tradition of being nice and all is good. πŸ™‚

• polisavvy says:

Something tells me that folk aren’t going to end their posts that way. That idea won’t float, in my opinion. LOL! πŸ™‚