Will Bryant Make It?

The clock is ticking for Brad Bryant to get the signatures he needs to get on the ballot. Here’s a bit of a press release he sent out today.

Atlanta, GA – The ballot access petition drive for Georgia Schools Superintendent Brad Bryant announced today that its offices will be open 24 hours beginning at 7am on Monday morning for the final stretch of its collection drive.

The campaign office is located next to Northlake Mall at 2296 Henderson Mill Road, Atlanta, GA 30345. The office has a notary present to notarize petitions, and is providing an opportunity for both walk-in signatures and pick up of petition packages. Additionally, the campaign continues to recruit full time petition collectors.

As of this morning, over 20,000 signed petitions have been collected, putting the campaign near the halfway point. However, the majority of the volunteer signature collectors have not yet turned in their petitions, and over 150 collectors continue to get new signatures on a non-stop basis.

“The grassroots response to our call for hope and opportunity for Georgia’s kids has been outstanding. However, the success of this effort will literally hang in the balance for the next 36 hours. It is absolutely critical that everyone who has been collecting signatures turns their sheets into the campaign as soon as possible. Additionally, we hope every Georgian who cares about education in our state will take the time to visit our office, sign a petition, and pick up some copies to share with friends and neighbors,” said Bryant.

1. brettbittner says:

I signed it. He’s not someone I would vote for, nor do I appreciate Sonny’s appointment of someone to go after Race to the Top money, but I believe that anyone who can scrounge up the filing fee by the qualifying deadline should be on the ballot.

@NorthGeorgiaGirl I take it you’ve never sought to collect signatures door-to-door. I don’t like the use of “grassroots response,” but a buck a signature isn’t much pay, considering that a door-to-door canvas only nets about 25 sigs per day.

• NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

My point is that it isn’t grassroots to pay for the signatures. I realize that it is hard to do, but let’s call it what it is. Grassroots implies a groundswell of volunteers that really want this guy on the ballot:)

• Doug Deal says:

The guy does have a groundswell of volunteers and from what I hear, they are remarkable. They also have a help with paid people. It truly is a grass roots movement, but the requirements of the state make the aumentation of paid people neccessary.

2. Baker says:

From what I have read of Brad Bryant he seems like a decent fellow. Hopefully he’ll make it and can at least give us his pitch for a few months. I know Peach Pundit readers are all very informed but Georgia’s education system really is abysmal. Ranked near the bottom in almost everything educational. Dammit, we are better than freakin Alabama. (apologies to any Alabamians) I know there are bookoo reasons why the South lags so far behind other places, but as a proud Southerner, I want to beat the butts off those smug northerners.

My feeling is similar to one that Kyle Wingfield had in an AJC column a couple weeks ago. Georgia suffers from a lack of bold leadership. Does anyone really believe that anyone (with a couple exceptions) running for any of the statewide races is a “bold” leader? Someone needs to be fighting tooth and nail, banging a fist on table.

3. Jawgadude says:

Fall campaign ad: “While (insert GOP nominee here) actually qualified as a Republican to run for election and has been campaigning hard to win the votes of Georgia voters, Brad Bryant was paying people to sign his petition so he could run for office as an independent.”

• Doug Deal says:

“while republican and democrats have written laws to make it as difficult as possible to give voters fresh choices, Bryant has done the impossible to qualify as an independent for School Superintendent. He’ll use that same determination to fix Georgia’s schools.”

My ad is better.

4. NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn’t the state board (of which Bryant was a member) sign off on Cox’s terrible curriculum that includes Math 1-4?

Are there really that many people who thought she was doing such a good job that they want someone who will continue her plan?

Are people even aware how bad Race to the Top and Common Core Standards (national outcome based education) are if you want an educated populace?

I have gone through Cox’s curriculum through 8th grade thoroughly, and it is terrible. I don’t want someone who has been part of that in office.

What bothers me is that this is happening all as a result of Gov. Perdue’s zeal to control the outcome of this election. I agree that it should be easier for independents to get on the ballot, but the way this has all happened just seems off.

5. John Konop says:

The Kathy Cox one size one track education system failed ie NCLB. Why would anyone support Brad Bryant who supports this failed policy? The only winners are high paid lobbyist like Kathy Cox who will sell us more garbage while hurting students at tax payers expense.

Failed Policy From Kathy Cox/Brad Bryant:

1) Math 123
    2) Test over teaching
    3) BS numbers on drop-out rates that does not count kids
    4) Play with cut scores to cover-up failed testing over teaching policy
    5) Blind eyed cover-up of the cheat to win policy
    6) Pass kids along and or have them drop-out over offering students an option to learn a life skill for a job after high school.

“Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
    — Albert Einstein

• NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

To back up what you are saying in #4, they are claiming at the state DOE that 3rd grade reading scores went up, but in reality, the cut score to pass was lowered to 45%. Now a third grader only has to get 18 out of 40 questions correct to pass the reading test.

I don’t know about you, but when I was growing up, 45% was failing. Things sure have changed…

• John Konop says:

NGG,

GREAT POINT:

In fact 80% of kids failed if we used the old cut scores! Why would anyone support Kathy Cox/Brad Bryant failed approach to education?

• HowardRoark says:

Just the latest example of Sonny making an appointment that has nothing to do with what’s best for our state, but rather just maintaining his influence. Brian Kemp, no thank you. Brad Bryant, hell no.

• Doug Deal says:

John, I am for ballot access. That can be addressed in the general. It is ridiculous what independent and thrid party candidates have to go through to get on the ballot.