Fox 5 Debate Open Thread

The gubernatorial debates, hosted by Fox 5 are underway. You can watch them online here.

Democrats (4 to 5pm)

• Thurbert Baker
  • Roy Barnes
  • DuBose Porter
  • David Poythress

Republicans (5 to 6pm)

• Nathan Deal
  • Eric Johnson
  • Karen Handel
  • John Oxendine

Have at it.

1. Tiberius says:

Thank God they limited it to 4. I am getting tired of these 7 person debates.

Anyone think McBerry, Putnam or Chapman (Mangham or that small town Mayor on the D side) will have an Alan Keyes-like moment and try to storm his way inside the studio?

• SouthernGent says:

I actually wish Chapman was in the debate. He won’t win but he isn’t a “crazy” like the others. I won’t vote for him but he actually could bring something to the debate.

• MDokes says:

Chappie would do much better than these idiots. Except for Deal, the rest would be considered bad high school debaters. Chapman is going to shock the world.

2. Lady Thinker says:

I noticed the Democratic candidates have all mentioned they are friends and respect one another. Education and some immigration seemed to me to be the key issues when I think jobs and education are the two key issues. Now I am waiting to see the Republicans debate.

3. analogkid says:

Oxendine is first to invoke Reagan. What’s the over-under on Reagan references? I’ll guess 8.

4. Buzzfan says:

Wish someone would ask EJ about his push in the GA to actually turn away revenues generated by the sales of Gator plates. šŸ˜‰

5. Lady Thinker says:

I am very glad but surprised the panel is asking candidates about ethical issues that have dogged some of them.

• Tireless says:

I can only describe her answers as “vacuous”.

BTW – she doesn’t look like the pictures she puts in her mailers. I guess you can’t photoshop a live TV feed.

• MDokes says:

The whole world knows she is lying. With all the evidence that is out there, there is no way she can get away with it.

• Tireless says:

My lie? I haven’t commented on your Log Cabin fantasy. I know for a fact she is a lying sack of poop over her claim she was an executive at KPMG……she’s a liar. Ask anyone that has worked for her.

• Lady Thinker says:

My Log Cabin comment was for RR not you, however, you haven’t provided a link for your “fact” she is lying about her KMPG experience.

• I Am Jacks Post says:

Ugh, sure Karen, the check was for a Log Cabin event sponsorship. It wasn’t for dues. Sure.

• Lady Thinker says:

There are always those who refuse to believe the truth no matter what answer is given.

• Capt. Jack Sparrow says:

Ugh, sure Nathan, you didn’t know anything about bid rigging and making a fortune off Georgians. Sure.

• Tireless says:

How can I prove she is lying about being an executive at KPMG?

She was the Director of Marketing for the Atlanta office of KPMG. She had a department with one employee, her. She wasn’t a partner. In case you missed the memo, partnerships like KPMG are run by the partners, not the hired staff. I know this since I was a partner at KPMG. Now go prove me wrong.

• ready2rumble says:

From AJC profile article,should help with our research –

“I graduated from Frederick Douglass High in 1980 and the graduation was held at the University of Maryland and I walked across the stage with the rest of my classmates,”

• Lady Thinker says:

r2r,

Some people don’t and won’t believe the truth and keep pushing the non-issues because they can’t find fault with Karen’s campaign statements.

I have posted the AJC report twice since October or November and the same people keep saying the same thing.

• Lady Thinker says:

The Deal and Johnson camps are trying to push these non-issues to the front in the hopes of detracting those wanting to vote but haven’t researched the issues. This will not work as you will see.

• Pine Knot says:

Non truths? Did you not see she fact meter on AJC? She is Pants on Fire. She can not tell the truth. Deal and Johnson did the best in the debate, hands down.

• analogkid says:

I find this issue particularly interesting. The idea that she went from Deputy Chief of Staff for Mrs. Quayle to executive at KPMG is curious at best. If she said she was a “partner” it would probably raise fewer eyebrows, although to my knowledge all the executives are partners. Further, I spent some time on KPMG’s website last week, and I couldn’t find a single partner or director position that didn’t require a college degree or 7-9 years equivalent experience.

That said, her boss was a partner, and he has endorsed her. He said that she was a “manager of government and community relations,” not “director of marketing.” Of course he also said, “I didn’t really think she’d be with us more than two or three years,” which made me chuckle.

6. ReaganRepublican says:

Handel continues to lie. Everone sees through her lies, she is done, her voters will not show up.

• Lady Thinker says:

Where could he possibly put them? Glad the rest don’t want to put up toll road on those already paid for and Johnson stole Austin Scott’s idea about taking down the 400 tolls.

7. Karen Handel and her “$25 limit” on gifts. That was a looser standard than her SOS predecessor Cathy Cox who had a NO GIFT rule.

Karen Handel loosens limits then touts herself as ethics champion.

8. Eric Johnson clearly won this evening. He answered every question, though the program cutting question he should have named more than one, and did not have any major slip ups. Karen definitely came in a close second. Deal was much farther down in third and Oxendine came in fifth because I believe Jeff Chapman was much better than he was, even if he wasn’t present.

• Lady Thinker says:

Notice how Oxendine tried to avoid the Ethics question by saying Michael Bowers had an affair that is still ongoing? Then the moderator said Bowers wasn’t running for office and asked Oxendine the question again.

• MDokes says:

We do not want you sell out self on team Chapman. Didn’t we send you a clear message at the teen gop convention. I think the Deal camp was trying to send you a message by not returning your needy requests. So before you jump ship to team Chappie, we don’t want your annoying tail.

• Lady Thinker says:

Don’t take it personaly Kyle, people attack when they feel you are right and want to dilute what you have to say. IF they can get you upset, they win and you can appear to look like you have a weak argument.

Kyle, keep posting what you believe and laugh at those that try to make you look like an idiot because those of us who are serious about debating fairly are interested in what you have to say.

• And for the record, I won’t be “jumping ship to team Chappie” because Eric Johnson is a far better candidate against Roy Barnes. I like Jeff Chapman as a person and we are pretty good friends, but I just don’t think that this was his year to run for Governor. I’ll be interested in seeing where he goes after this election cycle as he is a fighter and reformer in the state GOP.

9. analogkid says:

No offense to any of y’all, but nobody won either debate. Without the candidates being able to ask each other questions, it was unlikely that anyone would have a major gaffe that would turn into a damaging youtube clip.

That said, Roy benefits from the other candidates not attacking or differentiating themselves in almost any way.

• Lady Thinker says:

Maybe that was the reason not to let the candidates ask each other questions. At 6:11 pm while watching FOX 5 news, I saw a Barnes ad in which he said something about the Georgia not getting jobs from outside businesses because of a candidate wanting to pull out from the federal government and a couple of other things. That is the gist of the ad. I am trying to find it now on the ‘net.

10. Lady Thinker says:

Well, I think Karen did a great job at the debate. I look forward to her debates with Roy.

11. Three Jack says:

note to karen; the conservative soundbite should be ‘students first’, not ‘teachers first’ as you said during the debate.

12. Three Jack says:

neither do teachers in a gop primary…unless they crossover to make sure the gop ends up with ox as its candidate since roy is polling over 50%.