Challenger Austin Scott Outraises Incumbent Jim Marshall in GA-8

Congressional Quarterly reports:

State Rep. Austin Scott (R) pulled in just over a quarter of a million dollars since dropping out of the race for governor to instead challenge Rep. Jim Marshall (D) in Georgia’s 8th House district.

Scott, who will face a nominal primary challenge this month but is all but certain to be his party’s nominee this fall, showed $251,000 in receipts in about two months of fundraising. That total included about $56,000 in money Scott loaned to his campaign.

But even without those personal funds, Scott still outraised Marshall, who reported about $165,000 in receipts for the three month fundraising quarter from April to June.

The incumbent, though, was sitting on a hefty campaign warchest; Marshall had more than $981,000 in the bank on June 30, while Scott had about $213,000 in cash on hand.

I read a few weeks ago that an Emory Political scientist is predicting the next house to be split by a one vote majority for either party. If it’s anywhere near that close in the fall, expect GA-8 to become ground zero for national politics, and this race to get very expensive on both sides.

• In The Arena says:

Thanks for the link. I will definitely contribute. I can’t wait to hear people call Austin “Congressman Scott” Imagine the national press he will get for knocking off a blue dog. After 8 years of fighting hard for us in Washington, Austin might be a shoo in for governor in 2018, once Nathan Deal’s term expires.

1. AthensRepublican says:

I already contributed to Austin Scott even though I don’t live in the district. I am angry about what is happening in Washington and believe this race may be the most important one in Georgia this election cycle.

• Tyler says:

Same here AR. I believe in his campaign and have contributed to it because I believe in him and that he will fight to change things for the better.

2. John Konop says:

Austin is very intelligent guy who brings a new face to Washington. I donated money to his campaign even though I do not live in the district. Not only is Austin a fiscal conservative he does not support the one size fit all No Child Left Behind failed policy that Marshall voted for.

3. ZazaPachulia says:

I wonder what the numbers would have looked like had he stayed in the governor’s race… We’ll never know.

4. foray says:

I’m just happy Austin is out of the legislature

Jim Marshall will beat Austin just like he beat Rick Goddard and Mac Collins- he is very popular in the 8th district, many republicans like him

Dr. Scott can’t buy Austin a seat in Congress

• Lady Thinker says:

I don’t think Dr. Scott has tried. Austin is a big boy, he can take care of himself.

• Tyler says:

Austin was a great state legislator. He is one of the policy wonks who comb through a bill and make sure that it works for Georgians and doesn’t waste government money.

I also know that Austin’s fundraising team led the way to his big contribution win over Marshall this reporting period. Austin had numerous small donors, myself included, that helped him get such a great amount. Hardly buying a seat.

I’m thinking this is the year that Marshall gets beat because he now has a challenger that can KO him this time around.

• polisavvy says:

What makes you so sure that Dr. Scott is trying to buy Austin’s seat? Are you aware that the good many people are supporting Austin who are just average, ordinary people. Some make monthly donations of $25.00 — me included. As an aside, there are very strict limits as to the amount of donations a federal candidate can receive from individuals — have you ever heard of McCain-Feingold Law? It puts major limits. Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with it.

Austin Scott is pulling this off with the help of a campaign staff who works seven days a week for him and a very large volunteer force. Also, the last time I checked, Marshall narrowly defeated Collins 50.5% to 49.5% — hardly a trouncing.

Let’s face it. We all know that Marshall was given permission to vote “no” on the health care bill. He didn’t vote no because he knew that that was what the majority of the residents of the 8th wanted or because that was the way he felt. He voted “no” to save face in the district.

5. Progressive Dem says:

Congressman Marshall has completed done most of his fundraising. “Marshall had more than $981,000 in the bank on June 30, while Scott had about $213,000 in cash on hand.” Which candidate can spend more time with voters versus dialing for dollars? Which candidate can spend more in advertising, registration and voter turnout? Which candidate has to spend time catching up on congressional procedures and federal policy? Two months of fundraising for Scott doesn’t exactly present the complete picture.

6. hannah says:

Other than providing a steady stream of income to campaign organizers, consultants and media outfits, the primary benefit of the size of the “warchest” is to discourage competitors and energize supporters.