Handel Wants Presumed Democratic Nominee On Record Over Feds V Arizona

Our good friend/poster “In the Arena” seems to think we’re ignoring statewide events today, so here’s a press release from Karen Handel asking Roy Barnes where he stands on the Federal Government’s decision to block Arizona from attempting to protect it’s border when the Federal Government failed to do so. Handel, as noted in the following press release, received the endorsement of Arizona Governor Jan Brewer.

Given that Deal has been attempting to place himself as the candidate to control illegal immigration, the Brewer endorsement had to sting a bit. And thus, it may explain the bitterness of commenters like “In The Arena”. It’s still not an excuse to threadjack, which tends to make me angry and do petty things…

Full Press release follows:

ALPHARETTA, GA – Former Secretary of State and candidate for Governor Karen Handel today called on Roy Barnes to take a stand, one way or another, on the Obama Administration’s lawsuit to stop Arizona from enforcing its illegal immigration law.

“A Handel Administration will say “bring it on” to President Obama and pass legislation similar to what they have in Arizona. Washington politicians caused this problem by ignoring their responsibilities to secure our national borders for the past 20 years, it is hypocritical and unconscionable for them to try and stop states who must now deal with the problems Washington created.”

“The people of Georgia deserve to know where Roy stands on illegal immigration. Does he support a state’s right to enforce immigration laws? Roy can’t have it both ways – running away from being a Democrat while remaining silent on one of their most brazen intrusions into the rights of states to enforce their laws,” Handel said.

Handel is committed to passing an immigration law similar to the one being challenged in Arizona. Last week, Arizona Governor Jan Brewer endorsed Handel for Governor saying, “I know Karen Handel. She has the experience, courage and tenacity that make her the best candidate to be Governor. Karen will fight to pass similar illegal immigration laws in Georgia. If President Obama tries to stop her, she will tell him to ‘Bring it On.”

“As Governor, I will work to pass an Arizona-style law and I will work with local law enforcement to make sure enforcing it does not become an unfunded mandate for them,” Handel said. “Illegal immigration costs Georgia $1.5 billion per year and we owe it to our taxpayers to stop it. I look forward to joining Arizona in its fight against President Obama.”

Handel is the only candidate for Governor who has actually implemented programs to fight illegal immigration in Georgia. As Secretary of State, she launched the use of the federal SAVE database to verify the immigration status of applicants for professional licenses. She also initiated Georgia’s voter verification system that includes citizenship verification for newly registered voters and has fought her own battle with the Obama Justice Department.

• BuckheadConservative says:

You shouldn’t comment while high, either. But there’s “hannah” just sitting there commenting away. Not making a lick of sense as she does it.

• Lady Thinker says:

I pulled up Hannah’s blog and found no information at all on her, not even where she works or her educational level, or anything relevant.

• ReaganRepublican says:

Nathan Deal has forgotten more on the subject than Jan “tax increaser” Brewer and Karen “the liar” Handel will ever know.

• Yeah, but he’s old… forgetfulness comes with age. I’m sure McCain had forgotten quite a bit too. We can’t go blaming them for it. We just need to let them go ahead and retire… go play golf… spend some time on his business that has the state contract or whatever. No need to keep working Mr. Deal… I’m sure we can do without you.

• Doug Grammer says:

That’s a good way to insult the largest voting block. How old was R.R. when he was elected President?

• Reagan was 69 when he was elected. I didn’t mean to imply that *everyone* becomes forgetful when they become older. But ReaganRepublican stated that Deal has apparently forgotten quite a bit… if he’s that forgetful do we really want him in office? 😀

• Doug Grammer says:

We both know that he’s not that forgetful, and I knew what you meant. I was playing. 😉

1. Doug Deal says:

I saw one of Ray’s, I mean Roys’s signs today and it took me 5 minutes to figure out who it was. At first I thought Ray McBerry changed his signs to distance himself from certain unsavory allegations somehow.

The, I thought someone some Ray Boyd signs got loose into the wild, but he was clearly excluded from the race.

Perhaps his stand on Illegal immigration will just as clear.

Then, when I passed by it a second time, I realized the o was an a. Sign school 101, make you signs legible so the message is immediately apparently. Stylistic nonsense that makes even a well informed person confused, is bad design.

• benevolus says:

If he was running for Insurance Commissioner and didn’t have any money I would agree with you. As it is, people are likely to soon become so aware of what that logo is that the danger is they will get tired of seeing it everywhere.

2. CobbGOPer says:

Probably makes Ox mad too, that he didn’t think to do it first. This is a move that a front-runner makes…

• CobbGOPer says:

Not that I think Ox is the front-runner (I think his numbers are soft), just that he thinks he is, and this is something a frontrunner does… ignore your other competition and hit the opposition front-runner.

• Lady Thinker says:

Yep, that’s Karen! Making the bold moves while everyone else is standing around scratching their heads.

• ReaganRepublican says:

Karen would not qualify to apply to be a kindergarten teacher but we somehow think she is qualified to handle being the CEO of Georgia. You have all gone mad at the Peach Pundit, CRAZY, loony, batty, you all are using Obama logic.

• Dawgfan says:

I love the way a so called “Reagan” Republican would attack Karen because she doesn’t have a degree. Reagan believed people should achieve as much as their talents and abilities allow them not what a piece of paper says. It’s the liberals and the New York Times that bow down to the gods of academia for validation. So, may it would be more accurate to call yourself “New York Times Republican”. It would certainly be more accurate.

3. ZazaPachulia says:

so… all Handel-pundit could come up today is another red herring pandering gem from the Peach Pundit campaign headquarters?

• CobbGOPer says:

Shut up, Zaza. You can’t even vote here, you’re a citizen of Soviet Georgia. Go work on your box-out skills.

• Lady Thinker says:

Zaza is just upset that the two people she has chosen to support for governor left the race. First, it was Austin Scott, then Ray Boyd, now she is pinning her hopes on Jeff Chapman.

• ReaganRepublican says:

All Zaza is saying is that in a run off, no other GOP candidates supporters will vote for Karen. In an instant run off she would be everyones last choice that did not vote for her.

• Doug Grammer says:

How would she do in pin the tail on the donkey? We use that as much as instant run off voting.

• ZazaPachulia says:

I never supported Ray Boyd. I believe you’re mistaking Ray for Otis Putnam.

I wouldn’t describe it as “pinning all my hopes” on Jeff Chapman. While Chapman may be a better candidate than our putrid frontrunners, I still haven’t decided if I’m going to mash Chapman on the touch screen or select his fellow Brunswick native Otis Putnam for the ol’ protest vote.

4. hannah says:

Trying to exclude people who don’t have enough money to be cherished tourists presents a difficulty.
    Trying to make laws that affect people who aren’t yet within the jurisdiction of the U.S. is a problem.
    Immigrants are people who intend to take up permanent residence and, eventually, assume the obligations of citizenship. Most of the people being complained about aren’t immigrants. They’re migrants. Migration is a natural human activity. What’s peculiar is trying to keep mobile organisms from moving.
    The right to travel is a human right and not restricted to citizens.
    Again, the Constitution addresses our obligations towards persons. National origin is not supposed to be considered.

• Okay, the right to travel is a human right. Should humans be allowed to travel anywhere they want? What if they want to travel through your house… is that okay? You don’t mind if they climb your fence and walk through your backyard while you’re out there sunbathing do you?

You see, nobody is trying to prevent them from following the paths set out for people to migrate to the U.S. They’re free to get a passport and travel like any other person if they simply want to visit. Heck, I had to have a passport to visit Canada last month. Did I complain or try and enter through another route? Of course not. When you climb the fence and bypass the set regulations that we have for entering our country it becomes a totally different ballgame.

• Doug Grammer says:

I’m fairly certian I made a very similar remark about Hannah’s fantasy world where we can wander where we wish a few months ago. Great minds…..

• hannah says:

Matter of fact, people wander through our front and back yards all the time. We have no fences. We appreciate that people don’t enter our unlocked doors. They respect our privacy. People who don’t respect other people’s privacy are not going to be deterred by locks. I’d prefer that they not break down the door — a sentiment that seems to be shared by many an Iraqi family that simply couldn’t understand why American troops insisted on breaking down doors that weren’t locked.

The whole North American continent was settled by people who followed no paths, other than those left by the deer and the bison and the beaver.

• Doug Grammer says:

Party at Hannah’s house! Eat her food, as much as you want! People have a right to feed themselves. Sleep in her bed and on her couch, even the floor is OK. People have a right to sleep. Watch her TV, wash your clothes; people have a right to entertainment and utilities. Don’t forget to break her piggybank and take her money. People have a right to commerce. Is that about right, Hannah?

I’m sorry, I didn’t grow up in the same commune as you did.

• Well… I’m not really sure what to say to you other than congratulations on having learned the “you need to share” lesson in kindergarden and applying it to it’s fullest extent. Personally, we have horses. Our current property is fenced with board fence and electric and the new property will be fenced with a polymer with the electric built in. People tresspassing across our property could get hurt by one of our horses (and would probably sue us) or could even cause a horse to injure itself (they’re flight animals).

I have absolutely no intentions of allowing people to tresspass on our property without permission. However, even when we lived on just 2/3 of an acre, we still never had people wandering through our front or back yard. (Granted the backyard was fenced.) But just let us know when it would be convenient to throw a party at your place… I’m sure we’d all love to partake in your hospitality. 🙂

• Dave says:

Hannah,
      Thanks for your service as a human dictionary. However, illegal ‘migration” is just as illegal as illegal ‘immigration.’ Another natural activity is sending their illegal a$$es back! And…they can travel all they want in their own country.

• hannah says:

When the “rule of law” is used as a convenient substitute for the “rule of the king,” a person subject to decapitation when his whimsy goes too far, it’s not an improvement from the perspective of human rights. It is an improvement from the perspective of people who prefer to hide their anti-social attitudes behind the screen of the impersonal law and the dollar sign.

• CobbGOPer says:

How about we enact laws similar to Mexico’s immigration laws? And what do they do to illegal immigrants?

1. Beat the crap out of them when they’re apprehended.
      2. Steal any valuables or money they may have.
      3. If you have the misfortune of being female, you might get raped, possibly repeatedly.
      4. Lock them up.
      5. Drive them to the border, and drop them off on the other side, possibly with one more butt-kicking for good measure.

5. ZazaPachulia says:

Any candidate worth a vote (and anyone with half a brain) recognizes that SB 1070 is a boondoggle of a law that could lead to widespread racial profiling, intensely divided communities and extremely over-burdened local police forces.

However, the law is doing some good — namely forcing the Federal Government and the nation to address the problem of illegal immigration, especially as it affects border states like Arizona.

SB 1070 is doing a fine job stirring things up on its own. We don’t need a copycat law in Georgia. Copycat SB 1070s will only lead to massive legal fees, protests and boycotts burdened by us, Georgia’s taxpayers.

• analogkid says:

” Copycat SB 1070s will only lead to massive legal fees…”

In Jason Pye’s podcast with her, she openly admitted, “I’ve never been shy of doing that [i.e., suing]. I’ve done it on any kind – all kinds of elections fronts.”

She will take on any legal battle, no matter the cost or how futile.

Her witch hunt against Jim Powell is a case in point. She had no case and consequently lost every step of the way to the Georgia Supreme Court.

Zaza,

I disagree. The more states emphasize that there is a problem, the more likely it is the federal government will act. If nothing else, it will fire up voters enough to put someone in the white house who might try to do something about it.

• ZazaPachulia says:

You mean like George W. Bush? Oh wait, he failed to get his immigration reform through Congress… Bush supported it, along with Republican senate leaders at the time (Martinez, Kyl, McCain, Lugar, Lott, Bennett), but the good folks of the angry white men crowd like Johnny and Saxby helped kill comprehensive reform and effectively spoiled the progress W. had made with Hispanic voters.

If you think toeing the hard line on the immigration issue is the way to get a Republican back in the White House, you’re completely delusional. Each presidential election cycle over the past two decades have seen more and more Latinos going to the polls. Their votes in places like Florida are key in retaking the White House.

• Doug Grammer says:

I would rather let the Dems keep the white house than grant unconditional amnesty. I am not in favor of selling out those who came hear legally to try to garner voters from those who shouldn’t be voting. Hispanics who came here legally might agree with me more than you. Time will tell.

I’ll have to go back and look at their votes, but I’m not sure I accept your premise that our senators killed immigration reform. My memory seems to be that there were a few people in Georgia that were upset with them because they were too lenient on the subject.

• Doug Grammer says:

I’d rather them vote down a bad bill than pass it. Perhaps it didn’t go far enough?

This part sounds like amnesty: “Establishes a nonimmigrant Z-visa category for illegal aliens who have been continuously physically present in the United States since January 1, 2007, and are: (1) employed and seek to continue working or studying (Z-1); (2) spouses, ex-spouses who were victims of domestic abuse, and parents over 65 years old of such workers (Z-2); or (3) children under 18 years old on the date of application who are the natural born or legally adopted child of the working Z-visa holder (Z-3).”

This part sounds like our girl in kennesaw: “Exempts Z-visa aliens from the provision denying an unlawful alien’s eligibility for higher education benefits based on state residence unless a U.S. national is similarly eligible without regard to such state residence.”

Every bill has both bad a good parts. I’m not sure if the bad was better than the good in this bill. As an overall concept, I am against amnesty and you seem to be for it. I think we can agree to disagree on that subject.

• ZazaPachulia says:

I am for practical solutions, but I am for not alienating a huge swath of potential Republican voters — especially as demographic changes mean the party must broaden its net to survive.

• Doug Grammer says:

and I am not for pandering to a huge swath of potential voters who haven’t earned the right to vote. If the party dies, the party dies. That’s more preferable to me than caving on the principal that people should follow the law.

6. In The Arena says:

Now we’re talkin! Thanks Icarus.

I think this is the money quote from Galloway:

“Don’t be surprised if other Republicans quickly join in.”
    -April 27, 2010

Looks like Galloway was spot on with this prediction.

Nathan Deal was the first candidate in the race to take this stand and is now being imitated by all of the other candidates. Call him what you want but imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

• Pine Knot says:

Galloway was dead on, and for some reason I never saw a press release or write up on this regarding Deal’s strong stance. Surprising.

• Lady Thinker says:

If Deal was so generous in his praise of the Arizona governor, why did the sitting governor give her support to Karen and not to Deal?

• Pine Knot says:

Politics? Deal was the first canidate to say that he would bring a law like Arizona’s to Georgia. Karen can’t even finish a term in office or tell the truth.

• The General says:

Maybe because they’re buddy/buddy former SoS’s and Deal didn’t even think about asking her. Just maybe.

• GOPwits says:

It probably has to do with the fact that Nathan Deal has serious ethical baggage related to a secret arrangement with the State of Georgia to make millions through an auto salvage business.

This is what led him to abruptly resign from Congress. The ethics committee was about to move forward with a full investigation, but Deal resigned to avoid it. Deal used his Congressional staff to try and protect his money making scheme.

• Henry Waxman says:

You have ANYTHING WHATSOEVER to back up your claim that the House Committee on Standards of Official Conduct “was about to move forward with a full investigation”???

I would love to see, and until I do, I will assume you are simply making things up for the benefit of your preferred candidate. How ethical is that, GOPwits???

• Henry Waxman says:

Quit making stuff up because you are embarrassing yourself and dragging down the debate on this website.

• Henry Waxman says:

Why has Douglas Holtz-Eakin and other leading economists endorsed Deal’s economic plan and not Karen’s???

• Henry Waxman says:

Why has Newt Gingrich done videos for Nathan Deal talking about how vital he has been for the conservative movement in the U.S. and Georgia but nothing for Karen???

• Henry Waxman says:

But don’t worry, I have it on good authority that Deal is about to get an endorsement that will make everyone forget about Jan Brewer…

• gopgal says:

They’re both women, both served as Secretary of State, and both did not finish college.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

True, but Chapman is honest and straightforward about that and, more importantly, Chapman has experience in running a business. In addition, he served in the military.

Handel? She was Dan Quayle’s wife’s gopher.

• ZazaPachulia says:

Anybody else realize that support of a copycat SB 1070 in Georgia is a terrible idea (see my previous comment above in this thread)? This is like everyone in the GOP primary field clamoring to take credit for designing the original 1996 Atlanta Olympic mascot…

The GaGOP is really trying to force me to vote for Roy — this is unbearable.

• GAPoliticsisfun says:

Illegal immigration in Georgia grew from about 30,000 in 1990 to about 480,000 today.

Deal was in Congress for most of that time. The reason Arizona is having to do what they did is because of Congress’s lack of ability to get anything done on the issue. Deal has said he is a leader in the illegal immigration issue. His leadership has produced no results. That’s not the kind leadership that Georgia whats.

• Doug Grammer says:

Congressman Deal was a member of congress, not the Speaker of the House. Just becuase one member may be right on a subject that doesn’t mean that the House will pass legislation or that the Senate or the President will go along with it.

• Lady Thinker says:

• Doug Grammer says:

That’s an if that’s not true, but that’s besides the point. That’s like blaming Congressman Linder for not passing the fair tax. Would you say that Congressman Linder hasn’t done anything significant about the fair tax?

Lady Thinker, who is a teacher, I think the word you are looking for is “enact.”

• Lady Thinker says:

Doug,

Since you pointed out my spelling mistake because I was too tired to proofread, let me ask you something.

What does this statement of yours mean?

That’s an if that’s not true, but that’s besides the point.

That was your first sentence to me before you decided to point out my mistake.

Perhaps you should worry about your grammatical mistakes and I will learn from mine.

• Doug Grammer says:

I’ll be happy to explain.

You said: “If Deal hasn’t done anything significant about immigration in 30 years, he needs to give it a rest and let Karen (for whom I voted for today) inact her immigration plan.”

I said: “That’s an if that’s not true, but that’s besides the point.”

My “If” refers to your “if.” I suppose I am guilty of not putting a quotation mark around the word “if,” and I used slang when I said “besides the point” and opposed to the correct plurality which would be “beside the point.”

When I make a mistake, I admit it. However, you constantly tell us that you are a teacher. It gets old. My sentence made sense, you are just “too tired” to understand.

Now that talking about punctuation, spelling and grammar is over, will you answer the question and tell us if you think that Congressman Linder hasn’t done anything significant about the fair tax?

• Icarus says:

“That’s like blaming Congressman Linder for not passing the fair tax. ”

It’s EXACTLY like that, and valid for exactly the same reason.

Linder has made a “career” out of the FairTax. He’s written two books on it, and one bill. Funny thing is though, he’s never actually tried to make his bill match those books he and Boortz keep telling us we have to read.

Yet, the FairTax has developed a cult following among those who support “the concept”, but in well over a decade of pushing it, Linder has never been able to match this concept to something that can actually be voted on and implemented.

He wants the issue, not the implementation.

Same with Deal and his “fighting them illegals” as he sat by and watched the number of illegals in his own district grow ten-fold. Most of the time while he was “fighting”, he was in the majority party (same as Linder).

Yet results = nada.

Good riddence to both of them.

• Doug Grammer says:

Failing to understand that not everyone falls in lockstep in the arena of ideas immediately is why I’ll never say the words “Congressman Harper” out loud. How long did it take Georgia to ratify the bill or rights? Look it up. It may surprise you.

• Icarus says:

I’m sure Congressman Harper of Mississippi can barely contain his grief right now. He’s a great guy. And my guess is, a bit relieved.

• Doug Grammer says:

Fine. Fine. The gentleman of Georgia won’t be recognized by the Speaker as such.

7. chefdavid says:

Question?
    1. How much money is the State going to spend creating a law to mimic AZ?
    2. Is it a problem where I live? (no)
    3. Do you hear the rural counties complaining it is a problem even after it has just been said that less than 1% of farmworkers are illegal?
    4. Will we force the halfback canadians to ride around with an ID on there necks in NE Georgia?

• Henry Waxman says:

David,

Are you saying that illegal immigration is not a problem where you live in NW Georgia??? I assume you are familiar with a little town called Dalton, Georgia, right???

• Doug Grammer says:

David has a mountain and I’m guessing 40 miles or more between his house and Dalton.

• Chris says:

To answer #4, I suggest a law requiring them to sew a yellow maple leaf on their clothes.

8. The General says:

Just wondering for those out there…can someone tell me how this benefits Karen OTHER than for the immigration stuff? Just wondering. I’m really struggling with the concept of a Governor from another state telling Georgia voters what they should do.

• Progressive Dem says:

Particularly a Republican governor who raised the sales tax from 5.5% to 6.5% to fix her budget deficit in Arizona. That move put her campaign for election in reverse, so she bought into the tough immigration stance to grab a wedge issue. With high unemployment, a state budget crisis and local governments staggering to fund education, the Georgia GOP wants to change the subject and talk about immigration. Wow, there’s leadership.

The GOP candidates for Governor remind me of George Wallace, who after he lost his first campaign for governor, vowed “he’d never be out segged” (segregated) again.” Each of the GOP candidates wants to adopt the Arizona position….last week. Go for it GOP. Georgia is not Arizona. The issue doesn’t play the same way in a non-border state. Focusing on immigration will show how out of step you are with the issues that matter to Georgians. And remember Governor Brewer adopted this position after she passed the sales tax referendum. Georgians are much more interested in how you are going to solve the budget crisis, which unlike immigration has a direct impact on all Georgians.

PD,

Illegals cost the state of Georgia over 1 billion dollars every year. Like it or not, this issue directly affects the budget.

• Progressive Dem says:

That billion dollar figure is as phony a $3 bill. I already showed you studies by the Cato Institute that prove immigration reform is positive to the overall economy.

• ReaganRepublican says:

Karen Handel grew up and lived in Washington DC most of her life. She came to Georgia only 14 years ago.

• John Konop says:

RR,

If I follow your logic anyone not born here should not run for office and or vote. If that is what you guys and your candidate wants than many of us will leave and take our businesses and jobs to another state. Trust me dude, many states want our jobs.

• John Konop says:

Mayo,

Let me make it clear, guys like me create jobs investing our money not our mouth like you do! And if native Georgians like Johnson and you do not want us not to invest and leave the state it will only hurt the local economy. And if you guys think that after we invested our money because we are not from Georgia we are somehow less of a citizen than trust me it we be a massive exit!

• Mayonnaise says:

“Johnson sound like the job killer candidate if he only wants people born here to invest and or treating us who did invest like second class citizens because we are not from Georgia.” … and when did he say this? Actually, when did I say this? I’m just interested in YOU moving. We’ll keep the rest.

• Lady Thinker says:

John,

You are using logical arguments with illogical people. They will never understand your moral compass and your will to help those who want to help themselves. What is the old saying? Something to the effect that you battle the witless with your wits.

• Right… she’s only here temporarily… I bet she hasn’t even gotten a driver’s license yet, right? (sarcasm) So she’s good enough to be SOS, just not Governor. Got it.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

And has done what? Jumped from one elected office to another without fulfilling any term…nice, I’ll vote for that.

• Loyalty, though I’m not a Handel supporter, the question comes to mind… are you saying that since she’s jumped from one office to the next that it’s impossible for her to actually have accomplished anything during the time she actually was in office? Just curious.

9. Mayonnaise says:

You think we could get the snow princess to go “ON RECORD” one more time about whether she was a member of the Log Cabin Republicans?

• Henry Waxman says:

Weren’t the Log Cabin Republican annual dues $75??? And wasn’t Karen’s check for $75??? I’m sure that is just a coincidence, right?

10. Henry Waxman says:

I’m sure that Karen will be “for” solving the illegal immigration problem like she was “for” gay adoption and domestic partner benefits; if she’s elected, she’ll pretend some staffer unilaterally sent emails from her account in support of these policies as she distances herself as quickly as possible.

11. rugby says:

So wait, Karen wants to introduce a law that will be challenged in court by the Feds and could very well be struck down. That means SHE WANTS TO INTRODUCE A LAW THAT IS NO GOOD AND WON’T STAND.

Not sure who she is trying to pander to, the anti-immigration crowd, lawyers, liberals, or anyone at all who will listen.

• “I really hope she think this is just **** you say to get elected and not how she would govern.”

The sad thing is that those two things should be one in the same… unfortunately we have a lot of politicians who talk the talk of a fiscal conservative and then go vote for farm subsidies, oil company subsidies, auto manufacturer bailouts, etc.

• hannah says:

Republicans have fallen into the habit of proposing measures that are designed to fail. It lets them argue that they should be empowered to “try and try again.”

12. C.G. says:

I agree Hannah. Though I am a democrat, I was going to vote for Handel. She seemed like the best pick for me out of the Repub bunch. But this stance on the Arizona law is a no go. I’m all for cracking down on illegal immigration and making sure that taxes are paid where they are due; but, the Arizona law is a bad law. Plain and simple. Guess its back to Roy Barnes.