Peach Pundit Straw Polls: 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 12th, and 13th Congressional seats.

It’s time to throw some more bones to the sock puppets. Below the fold are Straw Polls for the various primaries in the 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 12th, and 13th Congressional seats. The voting booth is open for one week.

GOP Primary, 5th Congressional.

GOP Primary, 7th Congressional.

GOP Primary, 8th Congressional.

GOP Primary, 9th Congressional.

GOP Primary, 12th Congressional.

Dem. Primary, 12th Congressional.

GOP Primary, 13th Congressional.

Dem. Primary, 13th Congressional.

Previous Straw Polls
US Senate, Lt. Governor, 2nd, 4th Congressional Districts.
Governor

1. chefdavid says:

I have heard of a lot in Dade who are going to vote for Tarvin to try and knock out Hawkins. They figure there is going to be a run off anyways so why not get rid of Hawkins now. An interesting thought. I would worry it could back fire and leave Hawkins and Tarvin.

2. There’s absolutely no way a Republican can win in the 13th, even in today’s political climate. GOP’ers, take the Dem ticket & vote for Michael Frisbee, if he beats Scott then we’ll get a strong conservative Constitutionalist in that seat.

• gopgal says:

The same can be said about the 5th. The district is more than 56% African-American and the last time John Lewis got less than 70% of the vote was in 1994. If you ask me, these candidates are all tilting at windmills.

• drjay says:

yes but you can never win if you don’t run, if folks are willing it’s almost always desirable to run a candidate even in “hopeless” districts b/c you never know when your unbeatable opponent might get indicted, or send creepy texts to pages, or get caught with a hooker, or even die…there are ancillary advantages other than winning the race as well….

• Mike Hauncho says:

drjay – I agree that one cannot win if they don’t run. But in the case of the 5th district and maybe even the 13th, when we run candidates against strong democrats you cause their base to rally around their candidates which hurts us statewide. Sometimes, by not running anyone, we create a situation where the dems do not show up to the polls and Republican candidates all up and down the ballot stand a better chance of winning in our conservative leaning state. We need good people to run for public office. But we should also be realistic when determining which races need to be contested.

• drjay says:

i’d have to see statistics to back that up, a quick perusal of the last few election results seem to point to the top of the ballot as being much more important regardless of whether these are contested races or not, another way to look at at could be that some of the 9o+k folks that voted for honeycutt in 08 might have stayed home if scott were unopposed–esp. if they were among those w/ little enthusiasm for mccain at the top…

• seenbetrdayz says:

“it’s almost always desirable to run a candidate even in “hopeless” districts b/c you never know when your unbeatable opponent might get indicted, or send creepy texts to pages, or get caught with a hooker, or even die…”

Yes, but what would they do that would cause voters NOT to keep them in office? :p

3. Marie says:

Jody Hice for District 7 is the BEST candidate EVER!! What he stands for is absolutely outstanding! It would be an absolute honor to have him stand behind our country making decisions for our fellowmen! I just read his thoughts on the different issues on http://www.jodyhice.com and I highly suggest you check them out before you vote in this straw because I guarantee as soon as you read about him there will be no doubt that you will vote for him! Jody Hice for Congress!

• GALisa says:

I heard Jody Hice at a couple of candidate forums recently. I was impressed; but I think Tom Kirby had the best answers to the questions — especially about the FairTax.

4. GG says:

McKinney. You have got to be kidding. Presidential Candidate in 2007 and lost Republican Primary in 12th Distric to John Stone in 2007. Re-run to say the least. Time to move on.

• nobamaman says:

Ray McKinney just won the Vidalia Tea Party Patriots straw poll after our first ever debate among the candidate of the 12th District. Other candidates were Mike Horner, Jeanne Seaver, Carl
      Smith and Regina Thomas. John barrow was a “no-show”. McKinney won with 51% of the vote with Smith and Horner in the 20’s, Jeanne Sevaer under 10% and Regina Thomas last.

McKinney’s answers to the tough questions were what most of the 175 in the audience wanted to hear. One place where McKinney and Smith differed was on the question of the 17th Amendment. McKinney wants to get rid of it and have the State Legislatures appoint the Senators as the founders wanted in the Constitution. This would make the Senators beholding to the people and the legislature, not the thousands of lobbyists on K street.

Carl Smith said he like the Constitution just the way it is. He claimed that he did not want the Governors to appoint the Senators. This showed us he did not know the Constitution as well as McKinney. There were several other positions that McKinney holds that got him the majority of applause.

5. Right wing lunitic says:

Hey PP, I think your straw poll is skewed, you can vote more than once. Not a very scientific poll if you ask me.

• polisavvy says:

After reading your post, I tried to vote again (just to see if I could) and when I selected my candidate it said “Thank you, we have already counted your vote.” Plus the number of votes did not change. Perhaps there was a glitch when you voted — I could only vote once.

6. Shiela says:

If you want someone in congress who is not going to back down and will fight for our constitution vote for Jody Hice. I have known him for several years and can tell you from personal experience that Jody is not afraid to take a stand. Please go to http://www.JodyHice.com and see for yourself. Jody says it far better than I can.

7. Scarlett O'Hara says:

If you close your eyes and listen to Jody Hice you will think you are listening to Ray McBerry. I don’t think that’s a good thing.

• Fred Smulavich says:

I’m excited for when you start typing “womyn.” Look man, McBerry is a certifiable looney, but you’ve seemed increasingly fringe recently. I’ve met Hice multiple times, and the man is very respectful and his wife is a fantastic lady. A chauvinist he ain’t.

8. Responsible Citizen says:

Definitely David Scott has to go!! I support voting for a consensus Democratic challenger (Mike Frisbee seems to be pulling ahead) to try to take him out at the primaries. If that doesn’t work, I will then vote for whichever Republican wins the primary. We must show Democrats who think they have the 13th District in the bag, that they have growing opposition!!

9. slyram says:

In the 13th, Mike Murphy would be other option and it’s to bad more people did not get to know him. For sake of full disclosure, Mike and I have talked about options for the African American community for some time.

10. Frisbee2010 says:

Slyram, feel free to contact me through my website. I’d like to hear some of your ideas, as well as share some of mine. I believe a couple of my programs that I would like to see initiated that brings in private industry as mentors, and does not increase any tax payer burden, would be especially beneficial to the African American community and help create new black business owners and create new employment opportunities that failed to occur with our current representation.

11. Goldwater Conservative says:

So you can all be reminded that these polls only exist to “rally the troops around the flag” David Scott is going to win by over 50% of the vote…again.

Start having faith in science.

• Frisbee2010 says:

I think you will find that though you are correct in regards to polls like this – you are going to be quite surprised in regards to Scott.

I’m sure he appreciates your support – however – for the rest of the District – he doesn’t have it anymore.

Also – just for your FYI – I didn’t find out about the poll here until yesterday – it had been up for about 2 days. I had 33 or 34 % of the vote then, ahead then too. So obviously someone likes where I stand on the issues.

12. coop77 says:

If you’re in the 13th and voting for honeycutt…ask yourself why? Because she’s a doctor isn’t a reason. Wake up, get informed and vote for Hank Dudek!!

13. Goldwater Conservative says:

Romegaguy, you are probably right. I just saw the disclosures from Q1 of this year…pathetic. I am willing to bet Scott wins the primary by 90%.

Frisbee, you are in the wrong game. You got as many votes as you did because the conservatives on this site like having the opportunity to vote against democratic incumbents and you were the first name offered. Sorry, but that is tantamount to being given a medal for participation in the Special Olympics.

By the way, Frisbee. Define constitutional.

14. Frisbee2010 says:

GC – really? That’s all you have to come with?

I’ve been talking with people all across the district, Democrats, Independents, and Republicans. They are ALL ready for a real conservative to be put into this office.

David Scott has proven himself to be nothing but a hardcore Progressive and a party hack.

Conservative and Moderate Democrats want him gone, but are unwilling to vote across party lines. They want a real choice – and I offer that. The only reason he hasn’t been taken down to date is due to no Conservative competition in the primary to date, and the 70% Democratic electorate in this District that helps him to win re-election by sheer numbers.

As for “Constitutional” – it means abiding by and applying the Constitution to every bill that Congress considers, and voting against the bill if it violates Article 1 Section 8.

It means working to repeal those things that have been put into play by corrupt Congressman to pander to special interests and lobbyists which VIOLATE the Constitution and the Enumerated Powers of Congress.

It means making the hard decisions to say NO when required.

• Goldwater Conservative says:

Sorry Frisbee…that is all I need to “come up with.”

You haven’t been successful enough in your private life to raise the money to run a campaign. And no, people aren’t tired of David Scott. The 10 conservatives you talk to regularly may not like him, but the 13th district is a progressive district.

I always ask the question about constitutionality and what it means because, in general, anybody that thinks they have an answer hasn’t a clue what they are talking about. Much like you. Stop pulling out your pocket constitution and pretending like you are some democratic theorist or constitutional expert. You are not. I would suggest that if you want to play that card you should actually study constitutional law and theory as well as history and political philosophy. You are just another angry person parading himself around as the “hero” of the people with no understanding of pluralism.

You offer no choice, Frisbee. You are simply a name on a ballot and Deborah Honeycutt already did that…twice.

Scott may be a party hack, but he is not a hardcore progressive. Regardless of his “hack-i-ness” he gets elected for it and will be reelected.

What is a real conservative? Hardly a week passes where a current office holder has his/her “conservative credentials” questioned. Politics is about compromise. The Constitution itself is merely a big political compromise.

15. slyram says:

G.C.—You might be on to something because winning elections in November is all about getting the votes to win—from whomever or wherever you can. I watched the Paul Broun election with Jim Whitehead and some Democrats like the Broun name in that special election because Broun’s father was an outstanding public servant for years. Get the votes.

Conservatives who didn’t like being in Rep. McKinney’s district decided that the best opportunity for different representation was mellower centrist Denise Majette; not the Republican that they wanted but closer. It’s like that Rolling Stones song “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” but you find sometimes, you get what you need. What the GOP needs is enough swing seats to get the House or Senate but that will require opening the tent on some level rather than purity tests. But, I admire groups that say “we are who we are” and to flex would be change they can’t believe in.

• Goldwater Conservative says:

Do not forget than Whitehead was the GOP establishment candidate and nearly every voting democrat in the district voted against Whitehead in the run-off.

Primaries are fun. You have democrats going left to capture their median voter and Republicans going right to capture their median voter. Then come the general election campaign the nominees either compromise and move to the center or win or “stand strong” and lose miserably.

The 13th is D+15…obviously the median voter in the district is liberal…NOT conservative. The 10th is just the opposite.

Problems arise, however, when uneducated passive observers of the political process (like Frisbee) think that they are correct and everyone else is wrong. These are not candidacies…they are a waste of time.

16. freedom says:

I agree with Mayonaise……check out that video link from Hank Dudek and really get informed before you vote.