Podcast with John Douglas, candidate for PSC

Continuing our series of podcasts, I recently spoke with John Douglas, who has served as a state senator since 2005 and is a candidate in the GOP primary for the Public Service Commission on July 20th.

Among the topics we discussed are prepayment of capital expenditures (SB 31), ethics rules and what can be done to shield ratepayers from federal mandates by the EPA or through cap-and-trade legislation

You can download the podcast here (over 21 minutes/19.6MB, right click, “Save File As” to download). You can view the archive of previous podcasts here.

In the next podcast, I’ll be chatting with Mike Crane, a Republican candidate for GA-13.

1. Soulja Boy says:

A John Douglas win is a win for Georgia Power and all of its allies. Not a win for the consumers.

I haven’t paid much attention to this race, but I hope that anybody but Douglas wins it.

2. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

I’m rarely a single-issue voter, but all I need to know about Douglas is that he voted for SB 31. No thank you.

• Soulja Boy says:

Exactly. But hey, if Jane Fonda ever wants to jack up someone’s utility rates, I’m sure Douglas will lead the charge against her! And if there’s ever a license plate that the PSC needs made, Douglas will be a good liaison between the PSC and the Senate.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Thanks for the link…although I’m pretty sure Mary Squires is running for Insurance Commissioner and not PSC.

• gawatchdog404 says:

All of the republican candidates supported and voted for SB31 except Echols who is a creep. Echols got pulled over a few nights ago for going 80 something in a 55 (super-speeder) and tells the cop not to give him a ticket because he’s a candidate running for the Public Service Commission. He got the ticket…LOL. I guess Echols does business like the Ox. Oh and Echols runs his campaign platform saying “I WILL NOT take even a bottle of water.”

• AnyoneElse2010 says:

I am also voting for Jeff May. I have no idea why John Douglas or Tim Echols are in this race. With the Public Service Commission being so specialized you think that the candidate would want to have some experience in utilities. I am so happy that Douglas and Echols are both conservatives, but being conservative alone will not make you a good Public Service Commissioner. I think John Douglas is running because he is about ready to be put out to pasture and he sees this as some easy money. I think Tim Echols is running because he saw the Oxendine ship going down fast, and he realized that he needed to get off before it sunk. Of course now that Tim Echols is gone from Ox’s campaign it is doing better then ever before.

• Lady Thinker says:

Mike,

Will you tell me if you have met Jeff May? I am not voting for Echols but I haven’t been able to find time to go hear him speak and I am trying to find someone who can tell me something besides what I can read on the Internet about him. Can you help me out?

3. gawatchdog404 says:

Lady Thinker,

Here’s a good link for Jeff…. http://loganvilletribune.com/story.lasso?ewcd=c06c6c58881848d0

From what I’ve personally seen of him Jeff seems desperate for a paycheck and the PSC is a nice cushion job with a six-figure salary.

He likes to brag about sitting on a energy sub-committee but doesn’t mention the forty other state representatives that sit on the committee with him. He has no real practical experience, nor experience. I’ve looked at his resume.

As a legislator he hasn’t authored or passed any real legislation other than local legislation that passes automatically. He DID NOT vote on SB411 the heathcare bill which barely passed. He seems to be trying to fill an empty seat with opportune timing.

• Lady Thinker says:

And thanks for your link, I will pull it up also. You said he seems the most knowledgeable on the issues and has the experience. Did you get a feel when talking to him that he could stand up to special interests?

4. gawatchdog404 says:

Jeff May (aka Speakthetruth?)…
    Someone needs to talk about the lack of legislation that the energy sub-committee has worked over the years……