Back in the day, there were a few non-Oxendine-supporting commenters (Steve Perkins and myself among others) who knew that John Oxendine was going to make it into the runoff. But we kept getting told by the powers that be that Oxendine had “hit his high water mark” or that his “unfavorables were too high” or that “it’s all name recognition at this point”. They basically told us that, even though he was polling twice as high as any other candidate, that he had no shot of getting into runoff. One of those powers that be, even had this to say to Steve Perkins:
“Keep mocking us for remaining consistent in our thought processes. I’m sure we’ll save a few of your quotes and revisit them in July.”
Well, it’s not quite July yet…but as of right now, I doubt any of the powers that be really want to revist those comments, because Steve Perkins was dead on. As bloggers, I think we often overestimate just how important we are to the political process. We have our purposes, but in the long run, 90% of voters are not even aware of Peach Pundit’s existence, and most of the other 10% could care less. They don’t care how many stories we trot out, day after day, hour after hour, about how bad candidate “X” is. They care about one thing: the letter beside the name.
Judging from the amount of negative “press” the Ox receives here, you’d think he would have already withdrawn from the race. But instead, he still leads in the polls by a comfortable margin and is leading among early voters by a comfortable margin. He will make the runoff. And it is highly likely that he will win the runoff. So here’s my question for the Republicans who are so vehemently bent on the destruction of John Oxendine: If he becomes your party’s nominee, will you vote for him in November?
My prediction is that you will. After all, this state has already elected a former Democrat and shameless panderer twice.