MacGinnitie Mailer A Mistake

Getting a lot of comments on another thread about a mailer that the MacGinnitie campaign has sent out. In a piece designed to discuss the issue of Military oversees voting, MacGinnitie has apparently decided to create a nonexistent soldier to illustrate the problem.

In my opinion, that’s not cool.

There are two problems with this strategy.

The first is the obvious backlash from those who find creating a fake purple heart recipient to win votes to be offensive.

The second goes to the heart of the recent history of the Secretary of State’s office. The highest profile recent issue in the SOS office has been defending voter ID bills. The defense was successful because the opposition could not produce one real example of a disenfranchised voter. Just hypothetical ones.

Now MacGinnitie is creating hypothetical voters. In doing so, he has ceded the moral high ground which he had occupied in this race.

1. BuckheadConservative says:

Doug just sent out a response:

Kemp’s negative attacks are uproductive
    Griping about a mail piece isn’t helping our troops vote

I got involved with Doug MacGinnitie’s campaign over a year ago because I knew he was a bright, young, futuristic thinker and was sincere about improving the ability to vote for Georgia’s fighting men and women serving at bases outside our state including those serving in a combat zone. Under his leadership we formed a Military Voting Advisory Committee (MVAC) made up of several high ranking former military officers with legal and technology experts. We never imagined anyone attacking us for trying to help our troops vote.

I really don’t know why Brian Kemp has spent time recently attacking Doug over an issue that all Georgians should agree on-especially Republicans. However, Mr. Kemp and his campaign committee continue to send out emails and press releases blasting Doug and our committee’s work to raise awareness about this important issue. Instead of spending his time being negative, Mr. Kemp should join in on the conversation that should be taking place-how can we fix the problem of military voting. The important aspect of Doug MacGinnitie’s efforts is taking care of the welfare of our military personnel-that is one of the two principles of military leadership.

This “hypothetical” story Mr. Kemp seems to take exception with comes from our MVAC between Captain Sam Wright and General William Basnett. The General was preparing remarks for a presentation to Department of Defense and other officials. This same hypothetical case was used to illustrate his point. If the example was good enough for these officers, it should be good enough for Mr. Kemp.

On behalf of the members of MVAC, we continue to support Doug MacGinnitie in his efforts to improve and simplify military voting for Georgia’s military personnel. Doug has displayed leadership!

Respectfully,

Brigadier General Denis Shortal, USMCR (Ret.)

What military leaders are saying about Doug MacGinnitie:

“I have been working on this issue since 1976. Doug truly understands its importance and is ready to fight to protect the right to vote for our military men and women.”
    – Captain Sam Wright, JAGC USN (Ret.)

“I’m voting for Doug MacGinnitie because he is running for the right reasons and has the ability to get things done.”
    – Brigadier General Walter Corish (Ret.), Former Adjutant General GAANG

“If you care about the right to vote for our soldiers serving overseas, then you care about who is the next Secretary of State. Doug is committed to making sure Georgia leads the nation in defending the right of our military personnel to vote.”
    – Major General Bruce MacLane, USAF (Ret.)

“Finally a candidate who works to find solutions to problems. I am proud to support Doug and his efforts to improve military voting in Georgia.”
    – Colonel John Kidd, USA (Ret.), Former Garrison Commander Ft. Stewart

“Georgia’s fighting men and women need Doug MacGinnitie as their next Secretary of State.” – Lieutenant Colonel Oz Hill, USA (Ret.)

• macho says:

This is a really bad response. It’s almost as if all of Ox’s former staffers have now switched to the McGinnity campaign. Instead of recognizing the mistake, and moving on, McGinnity has chosen to dig his heals in and argue that creating a fictitious Purple Heart recipient is perfectly okay, and Kemp is the one to blame.

This is a big, big mistake. He needs to man-up and admit to his mistake. I’ve always been a Kemp buy, but liked McGinnity, up to this point. What he did was just despicable!

People in this country hold the Purple Heart in very high-regard. I’m sick of cheap political stunts by cheap politicians. Seriously, he’s going to toss aways his Purple Heart, like John Kerry, so he can vote in an election that he’s been fictitiously denied from voting in.

If this is such a huge problem, you would think they could find an example of actual Purple Heart recipient that has been denied the right to vote, instead of creating a fake person.

• gopgal says:

You need to man-up and spell his name correctly. I’ll make it easy, it’s in the title of the post.

• Word says:

Thanks gopgal. Maybe you could be the grammer police for PP. I guess since you didn’t really have a response for him you just made fun of his spelling?

2. GOPwits says:

The response doesn’t matter at this point, and heck, the whole issue may not matter as voters aren’t paying attention to the SoS race…

However, those that are paying attention will likely now either vote for Kemp or skip the race entirely. If by chance Doug wins, he’s just handed a major issue to the Democrats and put the SoS seat in danger.

• Glen Ross says:

Given the nature of this race (appointment, convincing outsider) I thought it would be higher profile by this point. I highly doubt this will matter in the fall for two reasons. One, the Democrats will lack the resources to win that race no matter who the GOP nominates, and Two, I just don’t think it’s that bad. Maybe some folks would have chosen a different tactic, but there’s nothing wrong with this one. Especially considering the military themselves use it (according to the above response)

Certainly won’t fault a guy for “trying too hard” when it comes to an issue like this. That’s just me.

3. I Am Jacks Post says:

Dear Brigadier General Denis Shortal,

I respectfully request that you– and Doug–brush up on the law.

Georgia Law actually provides for Doug’s make believe soldier to request another ballot from his county absentee ballot clerk.

If Doug’s make believe soldier had contacted the clerk, the clerk could send another ballot, as detailed below.

O.C.G.A. § 21-2-384 (a)(5)
    In the event an absentee ballot which has been mailed by the board of registrars or absentee ballot clerk is not received by the applicant, the applicant may notify the board of registrars or absentee ballot clerk and sign an affidavit stating that the absentee ballot has not been received. The board of registrars or absentee ballot clerk shall then issue a second absentee ballot to the applicant and cancel the original ballot issued. The affidavit shall be attached to the original application. A second application for an absentee ballot shall not be required.

Doug’s created a fake soldier and a fake dilemma.

Fondly,

Jack

• HowardRoark says:

That’s all handled on the county level and we know from the Kathy Cox situation those things aren’t always handled uniformly (esp if the SoS…Mr. Kemp….) doesnt have a handle on them. They need to scrap absentee ballot voting for the military all together and go electronic. I think MacGinnitie is looking at this with the inclusion of tech folks on his committee.

Still the better candidate.

• I Am Jacks Post says:

“I think MacGinnitie is looking at this with the inclusion of tech folks on his committee.”

Who’s on Doug’s tech committee? Chloe O’Brian?

4. GOPwits says:

Doug may also want to send emails out that don’t include everyones address being shown…

• macho says:

I’m waiting for a Twitter statement congratulating Herschel Walker on winning the Heisman.

5. macho says:

So the McGinnity strategy will now take GA political advertising to an amazing new low.

If you’re running for Gov. and you want to earn some brownie points with the illegal immigrant crowd, do a mailer with teddy bear on the front and talk about poor Suzie White from Canton. “Suzie was a 13 year old honor student and Eighth Grade class President of Canton Middle School. She volunteered at the Happy Trails Hospice on Saturdays. Suzie would gladly trade in her 4.0 GPA and class presidency in exchange for not being raped and killed by Eduardo Martinez – an illegal immigrant.”

“*Suzie White, Happy Trails Hospice and Eduardo Martinez are all hypothetical examples of the many ways our children are raped by illegal aliens.”

6. Doug Deal says:

I agree, this was a bad move by MacGinnittie. No one is perfect and he should apologize and move on.

Kemp, not having anything of substance to offer, can feel free to harp on it until the moving vans move him out of his office after the November elections.

7. dang90210 says:

so what everyone make mistake in campaign that nothing new what you should be asking why kemp have not been campaign he never make it to any debates

• macho says:

Having trouble understanding your English, but I think you’re trying to say that everyone makes mistakes. Yes, that’s true, but you first have to own up to the mistake. McGinnity is digging deeper on this one by trying to blame Kemp. He just needs to apologize and move on.

8. JSBarrington says:

First, by Doug MacGinnitie’s own admission, the entire story is a fiction designed to illustrate a point about Georgia law.

Second, the point he is making about Georgia law is false as well.

Georgia law does in fact allow voters to request another absentee ballot from their county elections officer, by signing an affidavit stating that the first ballot was not received. The elections superintendent will then cancel the first ballot and issue another.

Third, while politician MacGinnitie was writing his fictional mailer about a wounded soldier, Secretary Kemp actually delivered on his promise to the state’s military personnel by working with veterans in the Georgia Legislature to enact legislation which increases their opportunity to participate in Georgia elections. In this year’s November general election, Georgia’s overseas military voters will for the first time be able to access an absentee ballot in electronic format 45 days prior to Election Day.

Additionally, Secretary Kemp helped enact legislation that establishes a pilot voting project so overseas military voters can cast their ballots electronically and have them received by local election officials in time to be counted. One method is to establish kiosks where voters cast their ballot via a secure Department of Defense network to the Secretary of State’s office or the voter’s home county.

Misleading voters with disrespectful, false stories about our military service members crosses the line of honorable conduct, but MacGinnitie will clearly do or say anything to get elected. He should apologize to the voters and to our military immediately.

9. Georgia Judge says:

The response displays the same arrogance and ignorance necessary to send out such a piece.

Poor taste, period.

• macho says:

It’s a very amateurish response. I have no idea who he has working for him, but my guess is it’s a bunch of young kids, who lack the maturity and empathy to formulate an appropriate response. At some point you’ve just got to own up to the screw-up. I don’t expect him to apologize to Kemp, they are all politicians after all, but an apology to the Veterans would be appropriate.

Attention McGinnity staff kids, here is a rough draft of your apology:

“A few days ago my campaign sent out a mailer regarding our soldiers right to vote. It’s an issue I’m very passionate about. I incorporated some wording that in hindsight was inappropriate. To all of the Purple Heart recipients, veterans and people currently serving, I sincerely apologize. Please know that it was never my intention to insult out men and women in uniform. My enthusiasm in making sure our soldiers have an opportunity to vote caused me to cross a line, that in hindsight should not have been crossed. Working for a better Georgia, Doug”

10. Big deal!!! Heck, you’ve got human beings running all over Georgia “ACTING” like their God’s gift and salvation to the electorate. THEY’RE HUMAN BEINGS WITH EGOS and a desire to serve. Some of these folks want an official title, some want to do the job because of their skill set and ability. That’s why I’m voting MacGinnitie.

If the other campaign is whining about this, then they have a bad case of LDS…

• I Am Jacks Post says:

“If the other campaign is whining about this, then they have a bad case of LDS…”

Look, Maurice, there’s no reason to go dragging the Mormons into this. Not cool, dude.

• I hadn’t seen the mailer and skimmed the content of this post. I must now stuff my size 12 in my mouth.

I like Doug. I’ve been a supporter of Doug since the beginning, but this was wrong. I just saw the mailer and given that “hypothetical” is merged deep within the mail piece is patently deceptive.

This does not advance the message that he has been actively campaigning with since the beginning.

Whoever designed, approved and authorized that ought to be sent packing.

Funny thing happened the other day. I was conducting a voter registration drive and stopped by the board of elections. No one was in there except the employees. They asked if I wanted to vote. I jokingly declined and indicated I was going to wait, “want to see what skeletons come out of the closet”….

This is intellectually DISHONEST. I hope to hear an answer from the campaign, not spin.

11. GOPwits says:

After thinking about it, I think it is all a wash. Heck, there are some Georgians that think Max Cleland is still Secretary of State for goodness sake…

To ask them to follow this chain of events is like asking them to do long division without paper…

For the peanut gallery, this is a big deal, to Joe and Sue Smith (fictional family for full disclosure), they are more concerned with putting food on the table for little Jimmy and making sure they can keep the power on…

• KingWulfgar says:

I can’t believe you made up a fictional family to make your point easier to understand! I’m no longer supporting you, GOPwits–that was just in poor taste.

12. PaulRevere says:

I got the mailer and never even blinked. I thought it made a good point. This is all much ado about nothing. Manufactured outrage by Kemp. Foolish.

• KingWulfgar says:

Seems the only people that care and are outraged are the ones that were probably already leaning Kemp, so what does it matter.

I’ve not really got anything personal against Kemp and probably would’ve considered him until Sonny appointed him to finish out Karen’s term. That’s just the kiss of death to me.

13. TPNoGa says:

I just realized the reason I haven’t received any of the normal junk mail is because this is going to be the first time I vote in a primary in Georgia. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

14. KMC75 says:

I read all of the comments everyone wrote & wanted to read the mailer myself. Once I read the thing I must say that Kemp needs to find a bigger issue than this. The mailer is short, clear, and to the point. It does not hide the fact that the short story is hypothetical, and states a source for the statistics used.

At 1st I didn’t know what to think. After reading the mailer I am voting for Doug. Kemp seems not to have anything better to run on other than Doug’s mailer. That’s sad.