Yo! Polit”Fact”Georgia. I’m Calling You Out.

The AJC has a new feature they’re pimping pretty hard called PolitiFact Georgia. In it, they’re deciding if politicians statements of charging their competitors are “career politicians” or if a state legislator helped balanced a state budget are true or not. And yes, there’s often some editorializing involved – not that there’s anything wrong with that.

But instead of going after tired campaign lines like those above, why not start with the Big Kahuna who is an already acknowledged victim of you evil lib’rals? You know, the King in waiting, His (wants you to think he’s) Honorable John Oxendine?

In his new ad, he starts with this gem:

“Too often, politicians worry more about their re-election than your future, but as Insurance Commissioner, I solved problems to help Youoo.”

So, PolitiFact, when vetting this for accuracy, who better to use than someone named, oh I don’t know, let’s try Insurance Commissioner John Oxendine:

First, Oxendine said, those managers ought to be wary of the 12 states in which the insurance commissioner is elected — Georgia is one of them — because “we are different.” Details: “We are a pain in the butt. We are very high-maintenance…. I am not a professional regulator, I am a politician…. I’m going to do what I think is going to get me reelected.”

Oxendine does believe, he says, that insurers are entitled to a fair and reasonable profit: “I am not one of these Socialists never ever going to give out a rate increase.” But, he said, “you need to realize that you have to find a way to always make me look good in front of the voters.”

As for campaign contributions, he noted he wasn’t allowed to take them from insurance companies, but money from individuals is entirely acceptable. And gettable: “I’m the incumbent. You all are going to give me money because you’re afraid not to.”

So, he’s not worried about re-election?

He’s thinking about YOU and your best interests?

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire.

God Help us if he holds true to this ad and changes his ways to act as Governor as he has as Insurance Commissioner.

1. Henry Waxman says:

I, too, look forward to John Oxendine joining Karen Handel in getting the Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire rating from PolitiFact Georgia.

2. polisavvy says:

All I can add to this is that if John Oxendine was such an effective Insurance Commissioner, then why are Georgia’s insurance rates among the highest in the country. It really doesn’t sound like he’s looking out for anyone but John Oxendine.

As an aside, after seeing the representative from the University of Georgia on 11Alive this morning, I am wondering what the alum and fans of Georgia think of Oxendine continuing to use the logo for Georgia on his political ads even though he has been asked repeatedly to cease and desist. According to the representative, other campaigns had done the same thing; but, when those campaigns were contacted to stop, they complied. Why does Ox feel as though he is above reproach?

In closing, could anyone please tell me when it is safe to have your television on and not see that Ox ad? I mean really. I woke up at 5:10 this morning, turned on the television, and, you guessed it. There he was — his ugly mug is pretty bad any time of the day, but at 5:10 it’s even worse.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

“All I can add to this is that if John Oxendine was such an effective Insurance Commissioner, then why are Georgia’s insurance rates among the highest in the country.”

Which rates are you referring to. The Insurance Commissioner regulates the rates of very few lines of Insurance — and the legislature just deregulated most lines of auto insurance against his wishes.

But lets say he was holding down rates, then most people on this site would say that he’s screwing up the free market by artificially suppressing rates.

You can’t have it both ways: Cry when rates are too high because the regulator is doing nothing, or cry when he’s ‘meddling’ with the free market.

Disclaimer: I’m voting for Chapman

• Doug Grammer says:

It’s a day with a “Y” in it. That’s the only reason needed to bash Com. Oxendine for some.

• polisavvy says:

I don’t bash Oxendine because it happens to be a day with a “Y” in it. I bash Oxendine because I feel like he’s unethical and would not be good for Georgia PERIOD. The bashing he receives, he deserves.

• polisavvy says:

Thanks for the info, Loyalty. Disclaimer: Yosemite Sam is looking better every day, in my opinion.

3. Ramblinwreck says:

“In closing, could anyone please tell me when it is safe to have your television on and not see that Ox ad?”

Yet another reason to be thankful that my local channels come from Chattanooga and not from Atlanta.

4. trainsplz says:

I got the impression that they were soft-pedaling Oxendine, too. There’s not yet that many posts, so it may be sampling. But fact-checking statements from his website about how Georgia’s graduation rate compared to Alabama’s seemed like fluff.

5. Jack Smith says:

Icarus,
    The most fascinating of these “not a career politician” claims comes from the Ken Hodges AG campaign. His slogan is “A Prosecutor, Not a Politician.”

Of course, those who are really familiar with Hodges and his ethical disabilities know that a more factually accurate slogan might be “A Prostitute, Not a Politician”. Somehow, I doubt the AJC’s PolitiFact will pick up on this.