Podcast with Deborah Honeycutt, candidate in GA-13

Over the weekend, I spoke with Deborah Honeycutt, who is running in the July 20th Republican primary for the Thirteenth Congressional District and the right to face off against Congressman David Scott in November. Mrs. Honeycutt was the Republican nominee for this seat in 2006 and 2008.

In the podcast we discuss the economy and jobs, spending, off-shore drilling, cap-and-trade and Honeycutt’s “Urban Initiative” proposal.

You can download the podcast here (over 22 minutes/20.3MB, right click, “Save File As” to download). You can view the archive of previous podcasts here.

We’re in the final weeks of this series. If you have a candidate that you would like for me to interview or questions that you would like for me to ask an upcoming guest or if you’re with a campaign, no matter what party, please drop me a line on Facebook or send an e-mail.

• Lawton Sack says:

Those are some pretty strong allegations, and I hope that you have some strong evidence to back that up.

Further, no lady deserves to be called a whore of any kind, even a political whore.

You have the right to disagree with Dr. Honeycutt all that you want, but there is no room here for name calling or making accusations of wrongdoing while providing no proof of the accusations that are being made.

• Andre says:

Lawton,

All the allegations Goldwater Conservative makes above were well researched and covered by traditional media outlets including the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Boston Globe and Roll Call magazine.

You may not like it, Lawton, but the fact remains that Deborah Honeycutt was being pimped out by the direct mail fundraising firm formerly known as BMW Direct. That firm raised millions of dollars for Honeycutt’s failed congressional campaigns in 2006 and 2008. Yet, despite those millions, Honeycutt had nothing resembling a million-dollar campaign apparatus and the reason why is because BMW Direct took as much money as they raised for Honeycutt.

Honeycutt was pimped in 2006, pimped again in 2008 and if she continues using BMW Direct this election cycle, she’ll be pimped once again.

• Michael12 says:

Andre:

Dr. Honeycutt is no longer using the fundraising firm formerly known as BMW. Her funds are coming from residents within the district. As members as of the Georgia Congressional Delegation stated to Dr. Honeycutt, the good thing about Dr. Honeycutt is that she has learned from those experience and is doing things a lot differently, which is why she continues to garner major support. You should check out her endorsements thus far. On another note, Allen West is using the same firm, just thought I’d let you know.

-M12.

• Lady Thinker says:

Your term regarding Honeycutt is uncalled for, degrading, and very sexist. I suggest you use a different term.

1. Romegaguy says:

“but there is no room here for name calling or making accusations of wrongdoing while providing no proof of the accusations that are being made.”

You are new here, huh?

• Lawton Sack says:

No, I am not new here to Peach Pundit. I wasn’t talking about Peach Pundit while referring to “here”, but I used “here” in regards to this particular circumstance dealing with a professional lady. It would read better as: There is no room in this circumstance…

My parents taught me to respect women. I hold doors open for women, I do not eat until all women have been served, etc. I do not think it is appropriate to call Dr. Honeycutt, or any lady, a whore, of any kind.

2. slyram says:

I have never been familiar with the fundraising part of politics and look forward to the day when candidates can use new media to connect with voters rather than spending too much time seeking cash. In “A National Party No More,” Zell Miller wrote that he was surprised once appointed to the U.S. Senate that leadership actually schedules votes around fundraising events.

As a moderate African American, I think my community would really take to Dr. Honeycutt if or when the right election or seat comes around. From her involvement with public health to her sorority to her work at Spelman College, she would have done better against Jim Marshall than anyone until Austin Scott made that move. Honeycutt delivering a different style of conservatism to the table helps that team’s effort statewide. I blogged during the last election that a less bitter conservative like her actually helps Obama because she pulls the White House agenda toward the center—like Newt did Bill Clinton after we got spanked in the middle term.

Checkout her angle: a new urban agenda based on results rather than more programs and spending. The Honeycutts like the Obamas/Robinsons are classic examples of the potential every American has if they work hard and focus. To put it better, Newt uses to say that America should give person a fair chance to achieve, not guarantee a good life for all.

The Tea Party Movement has power without doubt but if achieve-oriented Black voters find a comfortable home with Honeycutt and Steele in a part of the GOP tent, it would be a different ballgame.