Carter files ethics complaint against Black

It looks like the GOP primary for Agriculture Commissioner is getting ugly:

Conservative Republican Candidate Darwin Carter, Alma, GA has filed Tuesday, June 15,2010 an Ethics Complaint against CEO/Lobbyist Gary Black for failure to disclose the use of his office as CEO/Lobbyist for the Georgia Agribusiness Council (Not-for-Profit) to run for Commissioner of Agriculture. Additionally, Carter charges that Black’s Lobbying firm, Georgia Agribusiness Council (GAC) is a non profit 501c6 corporation and according to the IRS should pay taxes on their extensive partisan political work. However, Carter said, “they have failed to do so.” “They are breaking the law”. “Besides filing this complaint, I have also notified the IRS of Black’s violations.”
[…]
Gary Black, a registered lobbyist for Georgia Agribusiness Council for the last 20 years, ran unsuccessfully against Legendary Democrat Ag Commissioner Tommy Irvin in 2006. Democrat Irvin beat Black by over 330,000 votes and is retiring after 48 years of public service. A similar complaint was filed against Black by then Republican candidate Deanne Strickland in 2006 which was never resolved by the State Ethics Commission. Perdue Appointee and candidate Brian Kemp, current Secretary of State was also a candidate in the 2006 Republican primary against Black.

The Chairman of Black’s non-compliant lobbying firm is David Skinner. He is seriously conflicted because he also serves as the highly paid Executive Director of the Georgia Development Authority. Governor Perdue has signed legislation and has issued Executive Orders to assure us that the work of our government will be transparent. His words on ethics have been pointed and frankly inspiring. But with that said what I don’t accept is how a state employee is allowed to serve as chairman of Black’s lobbying firm, a lobbying firm I might add, that is in total violation of the IRS tax code.

1. ready2rumble says:

The only time I met Carter all he did was bad mouth Black. Black is a quality guy, with a vision for the future of agriculture in Georgia.

2. Romegaguy says:

I thought Kemp was running for Ag Commish this time, too. I’m so confused. What is he running for again?

• macho says:

He’s running to fill McGinnity’s unfinished first term on the Sandy Springs City Council.

• Game Fan says:

I thought he was heading up the new public private partnership for the inland port in Ty Ty Ga for the rapid deployment of winter hardy palm trees.

• BuckheadConservative says:

That’s the second time you’ve said that (unfinished term), and for the second time, that is demonstrably false. I don’t understand why you insist on arguing over a fact. Whoever is feeding you information is at best misinformed or at worst a liar. Research. It is your friend.

3. Tiberius says:

Can we have 1 race that don’t involve Ethics charges?? We really are the Deomcrat’s secret weapon.

4. bluedogdem says:

I hope you guys vote for Gary Black so he can win the primary.
    You GOPer’s make it to easy for us. LMAO

5. ACCmoderate says:

I met Mr. Black, I was disappointed with how little he knew about the harsh realities that small farms face in this state.

Glad he’s running to continue letting big agribusinesses dominate the market and pollute our environment.

6. HowardRoark says:

Wait. Where have I heard this before? Oh, yeah…Brian Kemp. When he was a farmer. Running for Ag Commissioner. Good to see Brian’s lies getting a lot of play. First by Tommy Irvin in ’06, and now by Carter.

7. rightofcenter says:

That could possibly be true – if you idiot Dems weren’t running the braindead J. B. Powell for the post.