Let There Be Blood

We’re less than two months away from the coronation of Roy Barnes as the DPGA’s candidate for Governor. My question is a simple one but perhaps excessively blunt: are you serious?

There are three candidates outside of Barnes in this primary who all would be a better choice than Roy Barnes. Maybe you missed the memo, but the Republican primary is a mess. Half of the candidates have had questions raised regarding their ethics and most of them are suffering in fundraising – so tell me why you are allowing this to be a coronation?

Here is a little secret. I am not like the rest of the contributors here; I’m an anomaly as it were. I’m from South Georgia. We’re different from people above the gnat line. There isn’t a county courthouse down here that is not packed on election night. There are many conservative people down here who are not happy with the current field of candidates we have been given. There are many conservatives down here who vote Democratic or vote for Democrats in local elections, because that is how they were raised. They remember Governor Barnes, and they do not like Governor Barnes. When faced with the prospect of a Republican they do not like and Governor Barnes, there is no telling which way they will go. And Ray Boyd is out there floating around on the U.S.S. 2MIL just waiting to cause even more problems.

With all due respect to Attorney General Baker, Rep. Porter, and Mr. Poythress –why are you not going for blood? Are you afraid of King Roy? I understand funds are limited, but at this point, if you dumped all your funds in an all out attack on Barnes you would likely recoup money from earned media or from people finally noticing you. The time is here to play hardball – either start playing to win or face the fact that you have allowed the man who lost the Governor’s seat to reclaim it. Let me make note of something, Barnes is joining the ranks with the likes of Ellis Arnall, Lester Maddox, and Eugene Talmadge as those who attempted to run for Governor with gaps between the terms they served. This is not a common occurrence, but it seems like everyone is just lining up to let it happen.

Is that what Carol Porter, Michael Thurmond, Terry Coleman, and others are there for? To help create a ticket to draw more votes in for a man who lost his office? Against certain GOP candidates, anyone but Barnes is a nightmare scenario for the state Republican Party. My party has become lax in their governance. We have let ourselves get into ethical trouble, we have squandered our majority, and we have sat idly by and let things that should not have happened transpire. And never in my wildest dreams would I have envisioned a day when the Democrats in Georgia would simply not put up a fight. Where are the challengers for all these uncontested legislative seats? You do realize for over a hundred years winning the Democratic primary was tantamount to winning an election in Georgia.

I don’t want to see Roy Barnes back in charge. I think there are some Democrats who could likely give some candidates a better run for their money come November. So, Attorney General Baker, Rep. Porter, and Mr. Poythress – are you running for Governor or are you running to simply pat Roy’s ego on the back?

1. mountainvoter says:

“King Roy” is promising everything to everybody. It would be impossible to deliver half of what he is promising without massive tax increases. Only the ignorant, uninformed and fools will believe what he is saying. But again, that’s what got Obama elected and they share the same constituency….those that think they are owed something for nothing and it is never their fault.

• Mountainvoter, I am with you; however, it dismisses the lessons to be learned when we attribute Obama’s election to just ignorance and the state of being uninformed. One of the major forces behind his election victory was that the previous administration was excellent in winning elections and horrible at governing. It was their lack of competence that made the electorate fertile for an Obama style campaign. At present, the political strategies utilized actually hide the type of qualities we need in an elected official that would get us back on track. Then again, the electorate may have its issues, but it also sounds like those who are running for office lack the nerve and knowledge to link us Georgians to a promising future. With all that is being promised, looks like the Dems may return the favor provided by the Repubs. As ‘Charlie Brown’ would say: “Good Grief!”

• hannah says:

Well, actually, Bush/Cheney did not “win” the first election and the second was indeed a “mandate” to clean up the messes they’d made, which they totally failed. Of course, the reason they failed is because the ruling class always looks to someone else to clean up.
        That said, why Republicans are so hung up on money is a puzzlement. Unless it’s because they think that to “husband resources” is to put wives and children to work and keep any surplus for themselves. “Women work; men decide” is doubtless an attractive regime and, in fact, it persists in such places as Sumatra and the continent of Africa where 80 percent of food production is done by women. Since stated overtly, that wouldn’t be a popular agenda in 21st century North America, “not enough money” may just be a convenient excuse made real by the complicity of the banks.
        Why does the dollar have to be screened by the Federal Reserve? Why put a private corporation in charge of a public issue?

2. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Ronald, thanks for the insightful post. I’m originally from the North and now live in the Atlanta Metro area so my grasp of South Georgia voters is lacking, but your post helps a lot to clarify some things.

And to hit upon mountainvoter’s comment, Barnes is arguing that he’ll fight for teacher’s raises. With what money? I might be off here, but teacher salaries eat up about 75% of QBE funding. Maybe he means he’ll wait till better times when he can reinstate their COLA’s?

Another thing people overlook is that Barnes can only serve one term, which isn’t always a bad thing whether you’re a Dem or a Rep.

3. benevolus says:

You are living in a fantasy. An all out attack on Barnes? In a primary? And what does “all out” mean to you? Scandalous lies? Spread rumors and innuendos?

• I don’t know what gives you the impression I would advocate the use of scandalous lies or innuendos.

The plain fact of the matter is that Barnes has baggage. The other candidates need to start making him carry that baggage.

• benevolus says:

Poythress has been pretty aggressive, but nobody except his email list gets to hear it. You seem to think there is another level to go to.

• hannah says:

“running for office” is a strange metaphor since it implies that candidates for public office are like race horses, whose success on the track depends on their stamina and musculature and the executive direction of the jockey/driver, ignoring that an election is a hiring process and the equivalent of the bettors actually determining the outcome.
            Ascribing efficacy and agency to entities that don’t act is akin to taking ownership of things one doesn’t actually have — like Obama taking responsibility for the gusher in the Gulf. Of course, since ownership is not a ship that’s going anywhere, serving to disguise the fact that property rights and prosperity are being used as a sop, while the security of the person and the means to sustain life are being denied, embroidering the fiction makes little difference.
            If one asks to what purpose these fictions are being maintained, the answer, it would seem, is to avoid recognition of our real individual obligations to provide succor and support to other people. While some might think that “responsibility” and “obligation” mean the same thing, they’re actually quite different. Responsibility refers to the relationship between a person and other “things;” obligation refers to a relationship between a person and other people — a relationship that may or may not be expressed by a transfer of things, making things incidental, rather than central.
            In the context of private property rights, “personal responsibility” serves to obscure an irresolvable conflict. For, if “personal responsibility” means that the individual is charged with acquiring the things he needs to survive, then the property rights of others either can’t be honored or the individual can’t acquire the means to survive.
            Modern day Republicans are about denying obligation. There’s a long tradition for that. If one believes the Bible, it started with Cain asking, “Am I my brother’s keeper?” And, though the dispatch of his brother did not change the answer, the denial persists. Funny that it’s being promoted by the “religious right” taking the position that if God was concerned about Abel, He should have taken better care of him.

• one n done says:

I didn’t have the stamina or musculuture to make it through that entire post…does it come in a cliffsnotes version?

• As that esteemed scholar ‘Beevis’ once said….”ehhhhhh, dude, okay…”

This posting refers to the relationships words have with each other, and are completely disconnected from the reality of human interaction. It is also a reason why we tell our kids not to get married before 30 as extensive dating should take place before marriage.

4. jlw says:

I am certainly no Democrat, but I would be very, very likely to vote for David Poythress if he were to make it to the general election. Barnes will not get my vote, period.

5. bowersville says:

The first sentence of the last paragragh says it all.

A better title would have been:

Peach Pundit calls on DPG contenders to launch bipartisan effort to stop the gorilla in the room.

• bowersville says:

If you are asking me that question, I concur with the summation offered by Steve Perkins below @ 9:43am. I wasn’t motivated enough to express myself beyond what I wrote.

6. Dave Bearse says:

The words out of the mouth of a south Georgia colleague of mine the other day were “Perdue’s been the worst governor ever, and we’ve had the Talmadge boys, Marvin Griffin and Carter. I don’t think I’ll ever vote for another Republican for Govenor.”

Barnes’ baggage is old, and he’s been shedding it. The GOP candidate meanwhile will have to carry the baggage of the most recent six years of governing Georgia, plus whatever they’ve packed for themselves.

7. rugby says:

Several problems with the post (not surprising on Peach Pundit but I digress).

Objectively, Roy is a much better candidate. He’s never lost ground in the polls, he’s better at campaigning, and he’s keeping pretty much all the Democratic money for himself.

In terms of strategy, you must have missed the 2006 Democratic primary. Doubt many Democrats want to recreate that.

8. fishtail says:

Ronald…you make some good points but why is it that when the Dems don’t attack Barnes it’s “incompetence”, and when the GOP candidates don’t attack Oxendine it’s “strategy”?

• Icarus says:

Probably because Ox is around 25% in the polls, so they’re presumably saving him for a runoff.

Barnes is well north of 50%, so if they don’t attack, there is no runoff.

Just my guess. Yours?

• I don’t think this evidences incompetence at all. But when you are looking at Barnes sailing to the primary without a runoff, you have to be ready to make a drastic move or just get out of the way.

Would it not be better for Dubose Porter to keep his seat? For Thurbert Baker to keep the AG seat? Could Poythress not be running for State Senate or House? I do not see the strategy here. Look, I am all ears. My party has made a mess. We need someone to keep us honest frankly. Why are there so many uncontested legislative spots? Why is GA-09 uncontested outside of the Republican primary?

If these men running for Governor believe Barnes is their best shot, then why are they not using their resources elsewhere? I’d be fine with that. But I just can not understand them sitting there while not really running a race.

That certainly is not incompetence. I just do not understand it.

9. ZazaPachulia says:

Barnes’ ‘coronation’ would not be so troublesome if we had a decent Republican candidate near the front of the pack.

Roy is an opportunist. He saw the Ox leading the polls, realized that a Dem can win following 8 years of George ‘Sonny’ Perdue and he jumped in the race.

If there was a clear cut palatable favorite on the Republican side, Barnes’ foes could mount a challenge. But as it is, most independent-minded voters are going to grab the Republican ballot this summer so that they can do two things: vote in their local races (see: Atlanta’s suburbs) and choose against 6 terrible Republican candidates for governor.

Poythress, Baker and DuBose should have switched races at quarter to midnight (like our best Republican candidate for governor). Who would you rather have as your Lt. Governor: Cagle, Carol Porter or David Poythress? They could have even switched parties to run against Barnes… Or created a third party independent coalition with folks like Boyd.

If I were voting in the Dem. primary, I’d vote against Barnes, but I’m not voting in the Dem. primary. I don’t know too many people in my neck of the woods who are.

• HowardRoark says:

I think if some of those Guv candidate had moved around, it would have created a better ticket for them but I doubt they would have the resources to capitalize on it.

10. There’s an old expression: “You don’t set about assassinating the King unless you’re SURE you can do it”. If Baker or Poythress were within striking range, say single-digits of Barnes, then they could go for the kill. However, when you have 30% or more ground to make up… you’re not going to close that gap in a few weeks with an ad about teacher pay or the Northern Arc. I’m not even sure a GOP-style sex scandal would do the job.

Baker tried to get himself in striking range via the high road, so that a final sprint via the low road could seal the deal, and he came up short (Poythress never stood a chance). Changing roads wouldn’t succeed now… but it COULD drag down Roy in the general, and put a death nail in Baker future in Dem politics.

Thanks for your rural south Georgia perspective, Roland. But you and I grew up in the exact same area of rural south Georgia… and you and I both know the contours of certain realities down there. Methinks there could be a touch of manipulative intent behind your cheerleading for Baker to get the nomination.

• It’s Ronald not Roland, and I prefer Ron to be honest.

And while I’m being honest, I’d much rather Dubose Porter go after Barnes than Baker. I find it funny you ignore Dubose’s mention all throughout my post, but then go on to accuse me of practically being a race baiter. I think you will find that I am not. I honestly think Thurbert Baker isn’t really running to be Governor, but rather as a means to get out of office and pursue other avenues. He’d have to deal with the Wilson thing too, which still has some people upset. I also would vote for Baker over several of the Republicans – and I think anyone you ask would swiftly tell you I am not the type to employ race as an election tool.

I’d vote for Dubose over most of the Republicans in the primary. I might would vote for Poythress over some of the Republicans.

I suggest you reread my post, I think you are inferring things that are not there. Don’t make it a priority or anything, you got that BAR exam and all coming up. (Good luck on that by the way.)

• Ryan says:

To acuse Mr. Daniels of such “electorial manipulation” is not only giving more credit to this website in believing that the majority of the democratic voters in this state that will be voting in the Dem Primary will be reading this site, but also is completely showing your blatanty ignorance about the writer of the post. I know Mr. Daniels personally and while he might be well educated in the history of this state and its politcs, no one could nor would ever associate Mr. Daniels with such insidious assumptions. To do so is pure stupidity.

While this may seem like a personal attack against you Mr. Perkins, I certainly hope that your comments have been simply misunderstood by the majority of the readers that have read it. Forgive me if the message comes across to strong, however in this day in time to make such accusations against Mr. Daniels without any such proof not only serves to cause a great misjustice to him, but could also place an unfair label that he undeservidly may obtain because of those misinformed masses

• Wow dude, we get it… you own a thesaurus. Now please buy a copy of this book to complete the reference set.

Chill out… nobody’s calling Ron a bigot. I am, however, laughing out loud at the thought of someone other than Barnes playing better among rural conservatives. Because no matter how independent Ron’s subjective preferences might be… the objective reality is that “non-Barnes” translates into “Baker”. No other primary candidate gives Roy serious competition, which is why Porter didn’t even come to mind there.

Perhaps Ron sees Porter or Poythress’s chances more favorably than I do. Perhaps he doesn’t care about chances, and is just writing from a “dream ticket” perspective. But I’m writing from the belief that Baker is the only non-Barnes possibility… and the belief that Baker most certainly would NOT do better in a general down in my old stomping grounds. That’s all.

11. Jimbo says:

The only chance that Barnes has of losing the nomination is if Baker is able to force him into a run-off. Most polls have shown Barnes hovering around 45%-48%, with the exception of the InsiderAdvantage poll in late April giving him 64%. If Baker were to go on the offensive, he could make it to a run-off.

12. TalmadgeGhost says:

Wow – I can’t believe it. Someone from the area of Georgia that brought us luminary leaders such as Sonny Perdue and Mark Taylor, doesn’t like the fact that Roy Barnes (from Metro Atlanta) is the leading Democratic Candidate or that a couple of the Republican front runners (Oxendine and Handel) aren’t “from roun’ these parts neither”. Give it up hayseeds. You had 8 years to ruin Metro Atlanta and you almost accomplished it. If you could give “Sonny Do” another term, I’m sure he could have us on par with Mississippi. Please don’t get me wrong. This is a totally new phenonmena. Guys like Larry Walker, Sam Nunn (from that area), Joe Frank Harris, Tom Murphy, and good ol’ Zell understood that the lifeblood of this state depended largely on what happened in and around 285, not what happens in Hahira.

This election should be a slam dunk.
    “Are you better off than you were 8 years ago when I was Governor?”
    “Teachers, you got on me about accountability, how did those furloughs feel? How about the school closings?”
    “Flaggers, at least the one I proposed had the St. Andrews Cross on it – what do you have now?”

If Republicans were smart they would get behind Eric Johnson, and pray for a very low Metro turnout on voting day.

• B Balz says:

Finally. We are JUST like New York.

In New York, the folks in the City look down upon their rural neighbors as ‘bumpkins’ AND the folks everywhere else look upon City dwellers as arrogant snobs.

I hear folks in the Big Apple are starting to refer to themselves as the Atlanta of the North.

• TalmadgeGhost says:

I agree with what you say, somewhat. There will always be City vs. Rural feelings. What I am referring more to is the insane position of trying to choke Atlanta to death and thinking somehow that will benefit Hahira more than Atlanta being successful.

In the last eight years it wasn’t enough to try and kill the golden goose, “Sonny Do” and those “below the gnat line” wanted to cut it’s head off and eat it too.

• B Balz says:

Spot-on! There has to be balance, as much as folks ‘hate’ Atlanta, it’s success is the success of Georgia. And yet, to use the perennial ‘seat belt’ fight as an example, both sides have huge cultural differences.

Many, people up here cannot understand how or why the use of seat belts is an issue at all. Step that issue up to the Flag, then ramp it up to pro-life issues, and it is amazing anything gets done at all…

• Jeff says:

Georgia can survive with Atlanta being no more than a Regional City, with the other Regional Cities growing to match Atlanta’s decline.

This could be accomplished very easily with State direction simply by desegregating State offices out of Atlanta and integrating them into the rest of Georgia. It would spread the “wealth engine” everyone likes to see Atlanta as through the rest of the State while solving Atlanta’s water and traffic issues, among others.

VERY few Statewide candidates – particularly Governor candidates – have had the cajones to even consider this though.

• analogkid says:

Wow. State government is a “wealth engine”? That’s news to me.

Or are you suggesting that moving state offices would result in Delta or Georgia Power or other major corporations relocating with them? Cuz that’s not gonna happen either.

• I’d really like to see the train of thought that some people use when reading my posts.

People down here do not like Barnes. It is not about where he is from. People down here, when they hear about ethics issues are inclined to not like certain other candidates. People down here are not stupid, no matter how you may want to portray them.

I’m not suggesting we elect a peanut farmer. I’m suggesting that there are several people running against Roy Barnes in name only. Aren’t elections supposed to be competitive? I guess my rural education misinformed me.

• TalmadgeGhost says:

Oh please don’t misunderstand my position at all. I don’t believe “people ‘down there’ are stupid”. They know exactly what they are doing and are extremely good at it. Sonny Perdue and his ilk are hell bent on pulling as much as they possibly can away from Atlanta – penalizing and hamstringing the area so that there is a “re-distribution” to the rest of the state.

This all started around the time everyone “switched parties” – I don’t think anyone nowadays would equate any of the folks I listed as “Atlanta Liberals” but they all supported Atlanta. Atlanta never had a better friend than the Speaker from Bremen (which is one reason there is a Murphy Ballroom at the World Congress Center).

Let me use an easy analogy for you:
        MARTA/Transportation Funding vs. GoFish.

I’m not positioning those people are stupid, just very short-sighted and not cognizant of the impact that Atlanta has on not only this state but the entire region.

• I can only speak for my bubble of South Georgia, which includes Dodge, Telfair, Pulaski, Wilcox, Twiggs, Bleckley, and that general area.

But these people are not happy with “baldy” as I have been told to call him by many. Especially when you see teachers getting RIF’d and Department of Corrections taking furlough days for a horse track and a fishing pond. I concede there are people down here who would rather strangle Atlanta than win the lottery – but that isn’t everyone. Most of the people down here do not want to be in Atlanta, but they do not hate it. And oddly, there are a lot of people up there in the metro area who seem to take hostility to rural folk. I stay out of it.

Atlanta is fine so long as I’m not driving. Now when you talk about reapportionment, then some of these people will get hot on Atlanta – but that is largely due to both houses of the legislature being apportioned by population. It’s unrealistic for a Senator to have to represent an area that is 6-7 counties big, just as much as it is for a Rep to have to serve a portion of the metro that is the size of Dodge County but with 400 times the population. This is a tangent I can speak on much later, but really isn’t germane right now.

I don’t want you to get the impression that I wrote this post because I think people aren’t going to vote for a metro candidate. Likely, either way they will be forced too. Even Johnson is from a “big city.” Eugene Talmadge once convinced everyone he was a poor dirt farmer, so I reckon it could be done again – but I really think the “anti-metro” vote isn’t going to weigh in when both candidates are from metro Atlanta. That’s why I said South Georgia is unpredictable. =) But I am curious why these candidates are straining resources that could be used elsewhere if they think they have no shot at beating Barnes. That would seem to be the best strategy for the Democrats, no?

• RuralDem says:

“People down here do not like Barnes. ”

Ronald,

That’s great that you keep mentioning you’re from South Georgia, but here’s a hint, there’s others of us as well. Well, I’m more from Middle GA, but it could go either way.

I’ve met Barnes at two events in my area, one with a room packed with teachers who went to the polls in droves to vote him out in 2002, and another with a group of Conservative Democrats, and the few open Republicans around here.

Most of the people at both events walked away impressed and many vowed to support him in the Primary and in November.

My point is that you might be from South Georgia, but you’re certainly not the voice of the area. There are certainly many who are against Barnes, but the more he travels the area, the more support he seems to drum up.

He truly seems sincere this time around and openly admits the failures he made during his term as Governor. Few politicians are open about their mistakes, but he’s willing to admit them.

I went into the events having no doubt I’d walk away with the anti-Barnes view I’ve held since I saw those teachers flood the courthouse in droves on Election Day eight years ago. Instead, just like a majority of those in the building, Democrats and Republicans, I walked away realizing he’s a different man.

I’m certainly not speaking for all of the area, and hopefully you’ll refrain from attempting the same from now on. Barnes will do much better than any of us think down here.

• I’m sorry, but saying “People down here do not like Barnes” is not directed to be a blanket statement aimed at covering all of South Georgia.

The plain fact is that many people down here are not in step with Roy Barnes, nor do they like him. I’m not saying everyone feels this way. But people do. People who live in this area. I’ve seen it with my own eyes and heard it with my own ears. I realize this matters not to most of you, and that is fine.

Barnes may do well down here, I remain unconvinced as how to this area will vote – a fact I stated. If you had read my entire post, you may have noticed that it is about more than Barnes and why your party is fielding candidates for Governor who are not really putting up a fight when those resources could be used to gain and keep legislative seats.

• RuralDem says:

You’re right, saying

“Here is a little secret. I am not like the rest of the contributors here; I’m an anomaly as it were. I’m from South Georgia. We’re different from people above the gnat line. There isn’t a county courthouse down here that is not packed on election night. There are many conservative people down here who are not happy with the current field of candidates we have been given. There are many conservatives down here who vote Democratic or vote for Democrats in local elections, because that is how they were raised. They remember Governor Barnes, and they do not like Governor Barnes.”

In no way implies that you’re speaking for a large number of people.

I read your entire post, I simply decided to single out on something you did not want mentioned.

Say what you will about the legislative seats, I believe the party has not contested many seats in quite a few years.

The party is not what is used to be, even though you somehow seem to think it is. We did rule for quite awhile. Go look at the money the party raises now. Look at how the party has fared over the past few cycles.

As someone who loves political history, as you’ve expressed before, I would think you’d be more familiar with the transition in our state.

“But as always, my big thoughts get overlooked because someone disagrees with a single sentence.”

You’ve got to be kidding me. You’re making statement after statement that showcases a lack of any research or understanding of the election, and you expect people to just ignore that to focus on your “big thoughts”.

• I’m making statement after statement that showcases a lack of any research?

You first say I’m speaking for “everyone” down here, but then quote where I specifically only say “many conservatives.” How is that everyone? Oh, but it is not that simple – huh? Because you changed it from speaking for “everyone” to speaking for a “large number.”

You even misquoted a person’s website in an attempt to play “Gotcha” with me, and then you accost me of not having an understanding and having a lack of research?

While we are on that subject, you seem to think Barnes is going to do better down here than what people think he will. I’d like to see your research, specifically scientific polling data that has only been conducted in the southern part of Georgia. I’m well aware you do not have any, because you were making an ancillary comment. And that is perfectly fine.

You conceded that “Sure, a lot of people are not happy with him, notice how I said “There are certainly many who are against Barnes”.” It seems your statement that many are against Barnes is in congruence with my statement that many do not like Barnes. So where exactly is my research faulty?

I’m not going to keep replying to posts that grasp at straws, I’m sorry but I’m just not going to do it. Go bug Pete or Icarus, I think they are bored.

• rugby says:

“The plain fact is that many people down here are not in step with Roy Barnes, nor do they like him.”

Same thing could be said of many Vermonters and Obama but that doesn’t mean ****, especially when relying on your own anecdotal evidence from your own social circle and general political feelings about 1/3 of the country’s 21st largest state.

13. slyram says:

What an interesting debate and complex situation. We blog about both parties because it is fascinating and I write about a contiguous congressional district rather than my own—voted for my incumbent MOC this morning. At the end of the day, all Georgians will live with the laws, policies, and budgetary decisions made by officeholders so we should keep an eye on every contest in every party.

At the political forum in Albany this weekend, I had a pleasant experience meeting each of the candidates for governor who attended—Monds, Poythress and Porter—all good Georgians. While I support my political party generally, I will normally hope that the candidates from other parties are solid in the event they actually win. i.e. Obama and McCain were cool with me. Competition keeps everyone on their toes and I think Clinton and Obama honed their message and skills in that tough primary.

People vote for different reasons (party, region, gender, race, faith, economic issues) and nothing is written in the stone these days.

14. rightofcenter says:

Talmadge,
    You are an idiot if you think that Sonny and other state leaders purposefully starved Atlanta to “build up” the rest of the state. Everyone (even Sonny) knows that Atlanta is the engine that drives Atlanta. As for GoFish – it makes for a good visual, but in reality the little money put into GoFish wouldn’t prop MARTA up for a month.

• Dave Bearse says:

So what exactly has “everyone” at the General Assembly done for metro Atlanta this past eight years? Sorry, a lame transportation bill that allows the region to tax itself, subject to the Govenor’s meddling doesn’t qualify, especially when it’s considered that it was only passed because the Chamber said it had to be done.

• TalmadgeGhost says:

rightofcenter,

Who do you think established GRTA? Who had the beginings of really putting a regional plan together for transportation, with cooperation and representation from all of the metro counties and cities? We are all worse off in Metro Atlanta because Roy Barnes didn’t have a second term to really get that cranked up. Commercial Voice: “And what man could have possibly seen a truly regional approach to transportation issues as a threat to Georgia? Sonny Did.”

And Mark Taylor posed no opposition, no resistance. Pork Chop had too many other things going at the time to worry about Metro Atlanta.

Great job on water and infrastructure too “Sonny Do” and the rest of the Republican controlled legislature. Does anyone remember Tom Murphy’s plan to build a resevoir out near his hometown? How quickly was that shot down? It’s express design was to provide water for the west metro counties and Atlanta.

Alcohol on Sundays.
      Casino gambling (would completely revive Underground Atlanta)
      A horsetrac.

I could keep going.

• B Balz says:

Unless the GOP crop of gubernatorial hopefuls change their collective minds, none of them signaled they would support:

Alcohol on Sundays.
        Casino gambling (would completely revive Underground Atlanta)
        A horsetrac.

during the Beacon debate. Said, “though these are tough economic times, we ought not encourage bad behavior to pay for them.” Each of them said some variation of this theme.

I wonder how the answers would differ, if at all, when asked again?

• bowersville says:

Then let each one of them deny HOPE scholarship except to those whose parents and near relatives are participating in the bad behavior of buying lottery tickets.

Have you ever wondered how many of the opponents of Casino gambling, Sunday sales and horse track folks would absolutely go ballistic at the thought of losing the HOPE money?

One other thought, since when did the focus of this GOP primary change to economic issues?

• B Balz says:

Good points on the HOPE scholarship, though it is already in place, therefore ‘badness’ is already vetted. The idea I heard was no new ‘bad behavior’ ought to be allowed.

BTW, this writer makes no value judgment of these activities. Each has an undeniable social cost and a quantifiable economic benefit. As well, one could argue a spiritual aspect of each idea.

The focus has always been JOBS for one such architect, and a man named Austin Scott spoke early and often about reducing corporate income tax.

• Icarus says:

“Does anyone remember Tom Murphy’s plan to build a resevoir out near his hometown? How quickly was that shot down?”

Yep. I remember it.

Does anyone remember where that reservoir was going to be built? I do. It was on Tom Murphy’s land. That he “forgot” to put on his financial disclosures.

The reason a lot of Barnes’ agenda for projects like this didn’t move forward is because they were thinly disguised payoffs to the inside/establishment crowd.

Some of us were dumb enough to think scrapping them and starting over would provide for planning based on need, not which insider needed to be paid off.

Net-net here is, when Roy decides to start swinging at the good old boys and their insider deals, he may not like where that punch lands.

• B Balz says:

Barnes won’t carry, 180K teachers, and their families will see to that. They are still angry with Mr. Barnes.

During the Barnes years, folks in my biz had access to the Outer Loop plans and actively contacted property owners along proposed new exits. Millions stood to be made, utilizing the same poor paradigm for growth that gives us urban sprawl.

The real insiders are the ones who devised the plans to the property owners benefit.

Getting interstate truck traffic off I285 and out of Atlanta will greatly reduce our congestion and fatality stats. And reduce a lot of gorgeous farmland to urban sprawl.

This economic slowdown gives us time to consider how we wish to proceed, let’s not squander it.

• polisavvy says:

Ordinarily I would agree with you; however, he is pandering like none other to appeal to the teachers with his new ad on TV which promises no increase in class size, no furlough of teachers, and that teachers will get pay increases. I just wonder how he can fulfill this promise given the facts that are facing this State from a budgetary standpoint? Seems like they are noble goals but not likely to happen.

• B Balz says:

In November the voting public will be informed to recognize pandering and nonsense.

Although, folks may not be that informed before July, they will have ample information/propaganda thrust upon them prior to November.

One thing about early ads, gives the other candidates ample time to develop strong messages against their candidate in the General. I safely predict, the general election voter message will rely on the outcome of a GOP runoff against Mr. Oxendine.

The message will resonate strongly against unreal promises, especially to teachers. Teachers are not uninformed and there are a lot of them..

It is extremely likely Roy will take the Dem nomination. On the GOP side, infighting , division and indecision are is the only heir(s) apparent to the Primary. Most likely, there will be a runoff.

• polisavvy says:

You most definitely know that there will be a runoff. The question is who will be in the runoff? The next question is can that person beat Barnes? Granted all candidates can benefit from early ads. The teachers will definitely recognize a snow job. I do believe you are correct about that one. How have you been? Missed you guys!

15. benevolus says:

It’s no secret he has a damaged relationship with educators, so it should be no surprise that he is reaching out to them.

Also, he has said he will pay for these things just by prioritizing them above other things, presumably like fishing programs , tax cuts, or maybe even land purchases.