AP: Graves wins in GA-9

The Associated Press via Politico is predicting that Tom Graves will defeat Lee Hawkins in Georgia’s Ninth Congressional District.

Graves currents leads Hawkins 57.7% to 42.3% with 52% of precincts reporting.

[8:42pm] Fox News calls it for Graves.

• ByteMe says:

I would think the word “deflate” would be more appropriate than “explode” in this instance.

• McDawg81 says:

I honestly think this was Lee’s last shot at this seat. I think on 7/20 we could see a runoff between Tarvin and Graves. Looks like a lot of Tarvin voters stayed home today…

• debbie0040 says:

Knock your self out or get Tommy Sandoval or one of his minions to file it. Like you guys did for the loan info then claimed the Hawkins campaign had nothing to do with it.

• debbie0040 says:

I have already spoken to FreedomWorks PAC and they will be much more heavily engaged in the primary battle …

• Part-Time Atlanta says:

Congrats to Tom. Both guys were scraping hard and it got dirty. Glad to see Tom come out ahead.

1. Factcheck says:

Congrats to Team Graves!!!!!!!

Has someone checked on Josh Morris? Worked out real well for him – ha! (And now we will wait for his pithy comments!)

In the end, we got the last laugh and the good guy won!

2. Ramblinwreck says:

Looks like all those robo calls Hawkins’ biggest supporter, Jeff “Maglev” Mullis made on behalf of his good friend and “real conservative” didn’t have much effect. Hawkins lost all 3 counties Mullis represents by pretty big numbers. Guess the voters are smarter than Maglev gave them credit for and were not impressed by his endorsement.

• Tiberius says:

Mullis just wanted Hawkins to win because he is from the other end of the district. With Graves right next door, there is no way a Congressional district can be drawn for him. Congressman Hawkins would have the map-making a whole lot easier.

• Glen Ross says:

Mullis isn’t alone in overestimating the value of his endorsement. If you buy those endorsement for what they’re worth, and sell them for what they think they’re worth, you’d make a lot of money.

3. Mozart says:

Winning now, maybe. Winning later after more details of the de-frauding of the bank come out…we’ll see. πŸ™‚

4. Doug Grammer says:

It looks as if the Ninth District has a new congressman. Congratulations Congressman Graves!

5. ACCmoderate says:

I never thought I’d see the day. Paul Broun is no longer the biggest idiot in the Georgia Congressional Delegation.

Congrats Paul!

6. Henry Waxman says:

Well, hopefully Graves will keep the members of Nathan Deal’s staff in DC, Gainesville, Dalton, and Lafayette. They are a great team.

7. Tyler says:

A huge congratulations to our new Congressman! May God bless you and your family Tom. I’m glad you represent my district in DC!

8. PaulRevere says:

Chuck, tell him what he’s won…..A chance to do this all again in late July! Hooray!

9. Soulja Boy says:

It’s 1:47 PM and still no word on the health, well-being or whereabouts of one Joshua Morris. Morris was last seen leaving the Lee Hawkins election party around 8:42 PM, clutching his chest and struggling to breathe…

• Icarus says:

O.K., it’s 2:11 pm and in the last 24 hours I’ve been to 3 of the four corners of this fine state. Now I have some “real” work to do so I’ll be scarce for a while and will eventually try to catch up with some comments, may even post something.

In the mean time, lay off of Josh. He fought hard, but his guy lost. It happens.

I’m sure he’ll be back soon enough, as Hawkins will be on the ballot again in less than 6 weeks. The sparring can then resume if he so chooses.

• GOPGrassroots says:

I agree. Josh and I have had our battles on here, now is not the time to gloat.

• Soulja Boy says:

What I’m doing is not “gloating,” it’s “building character.” Joshua Morris is a good conservative. He doesn’t need all of you fair-weather friends coming to his defense. He needs people like me making it hard on him, teaching him to pull himself up by his own bootstraps without asking for a handout. This is the AMERICAN way people. Deal with it.

10. Soulja Boy says:

…witnesses say stumbled out the door rambling incoherently about an “above the board businessman” and cursing the “Washington special interests”.

11. debbie0040 says:

Let’s not pick on Josh. He is a great competitor and very passionate. I have nothing but respect for him and would rather have him working with me than against me..

• McDawg81 says:

I agree with Icarus and Debbie – Josh and I had a long conversation just a couple of weeks ago – lay off! We need more passionate people involved in the political arena, not less. We left our discussion as friends, I believe, just friends who passionately disagreed on who the better candidate was. Josh is still one of the good guys, I just believe he was deceived – I’m sure he thinks the same of me.

On a side note, kudos to TeamHawkins for the QUICK removal of election signs. I noticed today that ALL of the “Vote on June 8th” signs that stirred a ruckus on here earlier, were all taken down this morning!! I did, however, still see a couple of Loftman signs…..

12. Soulja Boy says:

Debbie,

Kicking a man while he’s down is consistent with everything we hold dear in the United States. If Joshua is really a conservative, as he claims to be, he’ll support me standing up for a traditional American value.

13. Soulja Boy says:

If the United States didn’t kick people when they’re down, we never would have dropped the bomb on Nagasaki and you might be speaking Japanese. Kicking a man when he’s down teaches him a valuable lesson, focus more on building PlayStations and less on creating a Pacific Empire. An educated person can see how this correlates to our good friend, Joshua.

14. HowardRoark says:

On the bright side, Hawkins will have some additional free time for Democrat’s birthday parties now. Not too much cake though, Lee. It’ll give you cavities.

15. TBarilla says:

Congratulations to Tom Graves on his win yesterday. Still don’t think he is the right guy for the job but our system is the best in the world and he won fair and square.

I just wonder how he plans on getting sworn in, going to court, face federal ethics charges and run a campaign all in the next few weeks. πŸ™‚ Should be a real doozy!

But for today, enjoy your victory Tom!

• Cajun says:

Now, now Tony. Don’t be bitter. Maybe Tom will let you go to work in that filling station we talked about (Inside joke, folks).