GYR Convention Straw Poll Results

The Georgia Young Republicans held their annual convention on Saturday, June 5. Below are the straw poll results from the event. Sock puppetry commence!

GYR Convention Straw Poll results.
Governor: Johnson (28) Handel (24) Deal (12) Oxendine (5) Chapman (3) Other (3)
Insurance: Purcell (44) Harp (16) Sheffield (10) Hudgens (3) Mamalakis (1)
Attorney: Olens (29) Smith (24) Wood (19)
Labor: Everson (57) Butler (13)
School: Woods (34) Barge (17)
Agriculture: Black (56) Carter (9)
PSC: May (31) Douglas (23) Echols (7) Brush (2)
Secretary of State: MacGinnitie (57) Kemp (16)

1. Chris says:

Clearly, we here at Handel pundit must start going after Johnson. The Ox is gored and the Deal. is. Done.

Where’s that intern?

2. Lady Thinker says:

Darn, if only I could have gotten away so I could have come and voted along with other Karen supporters in my sphere, like my mom, my son, his wife, and maybe one or two of my boyfriends that are for Karen, we could have turned the tide so Karen could have won. All of us are true Handel supporters. I’ve stop seeing the boyfriends supporting the others.

3. Lady Thinker says:

Just a couple of the less intelligent ones. My favorites like and support intelligent women and don’t try to marry me because I prefer not being married.

4. Jane says:

I voted Johnson, Sheffield, Wood, Everson, Woods, Black, Echols, MacGinnitie

I love a good horse race or two.

• ReaganRepublican says:

Deal easily Beat Johnson and Handel in the 10th district straw poll in Towns county. Deal got 59 votes and Johnson came in second with 46. The amazing thing is that Nathan was not even there, while his opponents, as usual, bused in voters.

• Bugs Dooley says:

If anyone was bussed in, give the campaigns credit because everyone there besides the candidates certainly looked to be a YR.

It also would have required a lot of hassle and expense, as only delegates and alternates received ballots. To be one of those, you would need to first buy membership to one of the YR clubs in the state, then plunk down an additional $20 for a ticket to the convention itself.

5. ZazaPachulia says:

I seem to remember Austin Scott either winning or finishing one vote short of first place at the last Young Republicans straw poll. With Austin out of the race, the YR’s are picking through the carrion left in this race and learning that the Georgia GOP ain’t all it’s cracked up to be…

Expect Barnes to carry the the 18-30 demographic by a wide margin — especially if Nathan Deal or Oxendine win the nomination.

• ZazaPachulia says:

Handel has the best shot in the general… That’s why the PPers love her so much.

She’s still a lousy candidate for anyone who has the ‘future of Georgia’ ahead of ‘the future of the Georgia GOP’ on their priority list.

• ByteMe says:

My answer would be that the “future of Georgia” is going to require more vision and dynamism than Mrs. Handel has displayed so far. The same could be said for ALL of the Gov. candidates in the field right now.

The “future of the Georgia GOP” is going to be a civil war between the moderates and the cranks.