A Nine Months Old “Not So Fast” In The Democrat’s AG Race

Last August, we brought you word that Andrew Young had endorsed Ken Hodges in the Attorney General’s race.

Today, Jim Galloway tells us it ain’t quite so. He’s endorsing and writing a check to Rob Teilhet.

There was also the matter of Young and the Democratic race for attorney general. Ken Hodges, the Dougherty County prosecutor, has claimed Young’s endorsement.

But the former Atlanta mayor has written a check to state Rep. Rob Teilhet of Smyrna.

“That’s where I am,” Young smiled. Between the two candidates, in other words.

The first part of Galloway’s piece was about Young’s view of respecting and keeping the NAACP viable. I’ll let you decide if that and this have anything to do with that endorsement.

1. RuralDem says:

Nowhere does Galloway say Young is endorsing Teilhet.

There was also a matter of Baker writing a check to one of the candidates last year, yet it was never considered an endorsement.

Maybe it’s just me but I’ve never considered a check to be an endorsement. There are plenty of times where you have one person contributing to multiple candidates in the same race.

Teilhet and Hodges are both big on the civil rights division within the AG’s office. I’d say it’s just as Young says, he’s “between the two candidates”, hoping that he’ll have the ear of either candidate if they win in November.

• Icarus says:

My interpretation is that “between the two candidates”, he wrote a check to one of them, and that’s where he is.

After re-reading, I guess it’s possible he’s still being coy. But if he’s only written a check to one, I’d say he’s leaning strongly to one of the two he’s between.

• RuralDem says:

I’d rather wait until the next reports come out before making that type of assumption. Young could easily give to Hodges in the coming weeks as well.

• drjay says:

from my read of it, he sounded like he was still being noncommital, i think he even says he has written checks to two candidates in he same race before…

2. RuralDem says:

Also, if you’re going to cherry pick, be sure to mention what Young said about the Walker incident:

“All that said, the former Atlanta mayor said that Hodges shouldn’t be saddled with baggage from the Kenneth Walker incident.”

I believe that quote clearly answers what you’re insinuating at the end of your post.

3. hannah says:

Only status-conscious people consider one politician endorsing another important. IMHO, sitting public officials should be precluded from participating in the electoral campaigns of potential cohorts or opponents. Instead of trying to regulate citizen participation, it would be more useful to get potential public officials used early to the prohibition against taking bribes and anticipatory bribes in the form of PAC contributions are no better than bribes after-the-fact.
    That said, anyone should be happy not to be saddled with Andrew Young’s support. There are few people who have earned my personal animosity. Young, when he was Mayor of Atlanta managed to do that. His regard for the people he’s supposed to serve is less than zero.

4. iamnotasocialist says:

I don’t know what the situation is, but something smells like tuna. I hope it’s my dinner.