More Brilliant Behavior By A Gwinnett Teacher.

Gwinnett Daily Post: GCPS probes use of Klan-like robes in Sweetwater classroom

LAWRENCEVILLE — Gwinnett County Public Schools officials are investigating a Sweetwater Middle School teacher who allowed students to wear Ku Klux Klan-like robes during a school activity.

The middle school social studies teacher, Stephanie Hunte, is not in the classroom pending the completion of the investigation, school district spokesman Jorge Quintana said Wednesday.

On May 20, a group of eighth-grade students decided to wear robes while re-enacting a KKK scene as part of an activity, Quintana said.

“Another teacher saw the students preparing for this in the hallway and told an administrator,” Quintana said in a statement e-mailed to the Daily Post. “The administrator told the teacher of the class (Hunte) that this type of activity was not appropriate and would not take place. The students returned to class and the school felt this situation had been handled appropriately.”

Hunte, however, recently told school officials that the same activity was conducted in her class the previous day, Quintana said. As a result, the district’s Human Resources division launched an investigation into the matter.

• I know there was another incident in Lumpkin county but I hadn’t heard about a third.

BTW, Fox 5 said last night that counselors were brought in at the Lumpkin school to try and calm everybody down.

1. jenny says:

Perhaps the teacher could claim to be a good Republican trying to get across the tyranny of pre-natal murder by a demonstration with Clan Parenthood: Killing the next generation at an impressive 1.3 million a year.

Was that thread jacking? I’m kinda rusty on the rules around here.

2. RuralDem says:

Buzz,

I’m curious:

When it comes to students wearing Klan outfits to school, what do you consider to be overreacting on the part of those offended by such an action?

I notice you mentioned some might be offended, but, do you agree or disagree with what the teacher did?

Let’s say the students brought the costumes with them and only put them on in the classroom, would you be fine with that?

• I thought I made my point clear but let me try again: The teacher was stupid to ask or allow students to dress up in Klan outfits. I can think of no good reason for a teacher to do that.

Happy?

As for people overreacting, I think you know what I mean there as well. I didn’t “focus” on people overreacting. Re-read what I said.

• RuralDem says:

Um, maybe you need to re-read what you wrote, nothing you wrote indicated that you disapproved of the teacher’s actions, you simply wondered if she knew her actions would offend someone.

As far as over-reacting, instead of denouncing the teacher’s actions, you make a point to mention that people will overreact.

Nice try.

Thanks for clearing it up though.

• RuralDem says:

Kind of an odd statement considering I tend to split the ticket. I tend to value person over party, though I guess that’s an unheard of concept to you.

Oh well, guess I hit a nerve.

Keep grasping at those straws!

3. NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

Is it really necessary to let the students feel like they are in the Klan or targeted by the Klan in a skit to get the point across that the KKK is a bad thing? How about just reading some stories about it and looking at some pictures of the robes? Gets the point across with no controversy.

Given the fact that this has happened at more than one school leads me to believe that there was some published or widely circulated lesson plan floating around about possible activities to study the KKK that wound up being picked up by a bunch of teachers this year. Don’t be surprised if it comes out that it was done at many schools, and that it was a suggested activity by some bureaucrat or education organization at a seminar or something goofy like that.

I don’t think anyone exercises common sense in our schools any more. “Gee, I didn’t think anyone would be offended by that. I’m just trying to get a point across.” I’d hate to see the activities in the health and human reproduction classes.

• Lady Thinker says:

NGG,

Good post!

Wasn’t the Lumpkin teacher white and the Gwinnett teacher an African American that had the KKK lessons? How would we feel if they did a Holocaust skit with German uniforms? Since my Air Force uncle was in one of the German camps, I would be uneasy. How would we feel in the skit involved the Black Panthers rather than the KKK?

As for your last paragraph, I think some teachers having sex with students feel, “Hey, they are 16 and over so it isn’t Statutory. I wonder if that is what these teachers and McBerry think?

4. Game Fan says:

This ties in perfectly with my conspiracy theory that the KKK is actually funded by the taxpayer, whether we like it or not.

5. Game Fan says:

What’s next, “condoms for Klansmen week”? Saaay, I think I’m onto something:

Klansmen
    condoms
    “white hoods”

KLANDOMS!

6. Game Fan says:

OK I’m adding “the Klan” to things Game Fan is opposed to (whether it’s real or not) alongside Bigfoot, involuntary microchip implants, anything resembling that plan formerly known as a “NAFTA Superhighway”, toll roads, human/animal hybrids, ect… Yes folks Game Fan ALWAYS takes a stand on the issues.

7. Medic8310 says:

Everyone is offended by something. If it is educationally and historically accurate, what’s wrong with it?? Trying to sweep the Klan under the rug isn’t gonna delete them from history. Is the school trying to rewrite history? Were the students trying to “instill fear” into the heart and soul of any particular group? We must all grow up, eventually, and accept that these atrocities occurred and will always be a part of our history.

“Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.”

• hannah says:

Actually, it’s more likely that people who remember history’s mistakes repeat them because of the propensity to think “I can do better.” They overlook the fact that the better of bad is “worse.”
      Anyone, one is left wondering if the robes were the same as one would don to re-enact the Catholic mass, the daily lives of monks or Muslims going on pilgrimage. There’s no mention of hoods or other identity-hiding stratagems.
      When a spokesperson for a school asserts that “the school felt,” the level of objectivity is open to question. Schools don’t feel and feelings should not be the issue. Educators should not be promoting the idea that the hurt feelings of people who are easily offended is an appropriate standard of behavior.

“Appearances are deceiving.” That’s why we teach children to ignore what people look like and to attend to what they do. The Klan engaging in physical assault and arson was what was important; not what they wore.

If that was the objective of the lesson plan, then the reaction of the school administrator rather effectively negated that.

8. hilltoplady says:

20 years ago when teaching Georgia history in south GA public school, my classes enacted the American Revolution(some students were British and some Revolutionists), Civil War(Union vs conferderate encampments) and the life of slaves working on a plantation. The students created their own scenario. The “slaves”linked themselves together with paper chains for a day and did the bidding of the “slave owners”. Guess this would not be acceptable today although it was a great learning tool for the students.

• iamnotasocialist says:

Here’s the thing:

I could probably out Klan-history any one of you, based on my studies of Southern American history. I never have seen a Klan re-enactment, and frankly I never needed to in order to learn. If the only way to learn about Nazi Germany was to brand Jews with tattoos, maybe we could have a different discussion, but given the fact that there is no need to enact painful memories (or, really, painful realities) in order to study history, it’s probably a bit better just to err on the side of not racial insensitivity.

9. Gerald says:

Buzz:

Sorry, gotta agree with RuralDem. You wrote: “To be sure, some people will overreact to this, but come on, it didn’t dawn on Hunte that people might be offended by kids in Klan robes?” I am sorry, but the idea that someone would overreact to this should be rather low on the list of concerns over the episode.

As far as “Keep living in the “all Republicans are racists” dreamworld you seem to live in” … again how many rural white southern Democrats – most of whom voted for Reagan, Bush, Chambliss and Perdue whose interests are not represented by either party I should point out – feel this way? Rural white Democrats = Zell Miller, ok? The “heritage, not hate” crowd, the crowd who hates getting stereotyped as uneducated, violent racists in just about every movie and TV show you can think of.

Look, the idea that Republicans are racially insensitive wasn’t invented out of thin air by the NAACP (whose main enemies used to be DEMOCRATS please recall) and Democratic political strategists. To consider an analogy, think about the correlation between black males and crime. Sure, it is a stereotype that is very offensive and burdensome to law-abiding black males (racial profiling, et al) but it isn’t some legend or myth concocted to persecute the black community and feed the “prison-industrial complex.” It is based on the unfortunate fact that black males do commit street crimes at a rate that is disproportionate to their percentage of the population.

Similarly, the notion that Republicans are insensitive and hostile to the black community does have factual basis. And regrettably, you made your own contribution to this basis by being oh-so-concerned that someone would overreact. I am sorry, but that is a typical Republican tactic: the idea that blacks and their liberal enablers are always whining, complaining, making mountains out of molehills and other excuses. Of course, I am not saying that it doesn’t happen. Instead, consider this: the next Republican to accuse WHITES of being oversensitive, overreacting, whining and complaining on racial issues will be the first.

• Doug Grammer says:

IMO, the disproportionate amount of black males in the prison system have more to do with their income, location, and level of personal support than with their pigmentation.

I don’t know if you are black or white, and it really doesn’t matter to me. It’s seems to me as if you are saying there is a race card on the table, I don’t know who put it there, but it’s the GOP’s fault.

• Gerald says:

Wrong, wrong, wrong. I was referencing the exchange between RuralDem and Buzz Brockway above. RuralDem (no Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson, not by a long shot) stated “I just think it’s interesting that instead of saying it’s wrong for them to wear those outfits, you choose to focus on someone over-reacting.” After a bit of back and forth, Brockway resorted to the typical “Keep living in the “all Republicans are racists” dreamworld you seem to live in.” Now I ask you, what kind of mindset is that whose FIRST CONCERN is that people are going to overreact? Brockway … who I should point out is a Republican candidate for office … acted in a manner that is TYPICAL for the Republican/conservative stereotype, and RuralDem called him on it. When RuralDem did so, he responded with more stereotypical conservative canards, as did you with “I’m sorry, but I have attended hundreds of GOP meetings and never have I heard in any of them “Let’s go march against a black neighborhood to show how much we didn’t like them.” ” I am sorry, but evasions and other stuff like that AREN’T HELPFUL.

Look, when conservatives found out about Barack Obama’s being a member of racist Jeremiah Wright’s church all those years, how many of those conservatives uttered “To be sure, some people will overreact to this”? On a local scale, how many conservatives and GOPers were oh so worried about people “overreacting” to the hateful things that Cynthia and Billy McKinney said against Republicans, whites and Jews?

It’s a mindset that has to change. Period.

• Doug Grammer says:

I read the whole thread, and I know you were referring to other posts in part of your post.

I took this sentence as yours: “Similarly, the notion that Republicans are insensitive and hostile to the black community does have factual basis.” If it was not yours, I apologize, but I didn’t see anyone else saying it the same way.

I’m not evading anything. You said that the GOP is hostile to blacks and I am calling you on your statement. If you want to focus on being appalled by a racially insensitive action instead of worried about how many people will over react, that’s fine. I am in the same boat with you. Buzz is a good guy and he’s running for office, but you can’t say that everything Buzz says or does represents the entire GOP of the state of Georgia. You can’t even says that about Sue, who is the state party Chairman.

Generalizing about a party when not talking about their platform, success rate of electing individuals, fund raising, or specific actions approved on by their voting membership is not factually accurate. In other words, try to prove the GOP is hostile to black people, if you can. I say you are wrong.

• John Konop says:

Gerald,

This is classic example of walking in the shoes of someone else. I do not think Buzz meant anything by his comment. And I do understand your perspective.