If Lee Hawkins Is Paying Printing Costs By The Letter, He Just Saved A Lot Of Money By Dropping The Word “Republican”

Note the difference between these two signs. The first was used by the Hawkins campaign during the general (special) election. The second is being used for the June 8th runoff. See what’s missing? It’s the word “Republican”, strangely dropped from this non-partisan special election.

His current mailer to Hall County residents stresses only the importance of having a Congressman from Hall County – and doesn’t once mention the words “Republican” or “Conservative”.

Having declared the Club For Growth a subversive force that has elected the likes of Lynn Westmoreland and Paul Broun, Hawkins now appears to be reaching left for additional votes.

An interesting strategy, but one that shouldn’t be surprising given the mixed message factory that has been the Hawkins campaign. Last week’s “true conservative” now is going overboard to make sure everyone knows that “everyone” can vote. No need for those pesky titles like “Republican” or “Conservative”. Just make sure you show up to protect Hall County’s congressional seat.

…but I just don’t see this playing in the other 14 counties in the district. I wonder if they’ll find out about it.

1. hugoblacksupreme says:

I don’t have a dog in this fight but it is just a sign.

It actually seems like a good idea to not state the obvious.

2. AlanR says:

Given the dynamics of the race, Hawkins should be reaching out to independents and conservative democrats — if there are any left. Where else to go if he’s making every effort to win. Its not like the entire district didn’t just get an earful about being republican.

I think you’ve gone a little too far on this one.

3. Holly says:

It’s not a dumb strategy in a special. I’m sure 10th district Dems remember being wooed by Paul Broun’s campaign with his endorsements from a few old school, highly regarded Democrats who had served in the state legislature with his father and his promise to be an independent voice. A perusal of the comments on many ABH articles regarding Broun include comments from some of those Dems upset with how that’s turned out for them.

I don’t know how it will work in this case. It’s a different race, and Graves hasn’t done anything to alienate a large segment of the district’s population, plus I get the impression he’s working overtime to get out the vote.

• bowersville says:

“…and Graves hasn’t done anything to alienate a large segment of the district’s population..”

Maybe not. But unlike the CFG endorsement of Broun the CFG took a different approach on Hawkins. I don’t recall my impression being that the CFG was intent on beating the tar out of Whitehead.

Just as this front page post seems to be over kill, to me the CFG seemed to me more intent on just plain out stomping on Hawkins than promoting Graves.

At some point a blow back could occur. The primary is only a few weeks after the special and nerves will remain raw.

4. Mozart says:

I think the most important message they are trying to deliver is to tell people to go vote in the run-off, Icarus. Thus the “VOTE TUESDAY JUNE 8TH” being so prominent and in reverse type.

• Eureka says:

I have to agree with Mozart. I have no interest in this race, but this hating on Lee Hawkins has reached a new low with this. What is more important to let people know there is a runoff(remember that runoffs to a special elections are won on turnout) or telling everyone you are a Republican(which they know from the saturation of TV ads, signs and mailers that went out earlier this month for the special election.

• Ambernappe says:

Let’s talk about the “ripple effect”. The individual determines his standards, decides which group best supports his standards
        and registers with the group – Democrat or Republican – files for election and expects financial support from his chosen group. Certainly, some interested citizens, for one reason or another, are not aware of the chosen party affiliation of the candidate. So where is the courage of his/her convictions ? Not to mention that investigating his background becomes more difficult.

I fail to see the benefit of this strategy.

• Doug Deal says:

I agree. It’s obvious that the Republican line was dropped to make space for the vote reminder.

I thought I once supported Graves, but the juvenile actions of his supportes, with no apparent end to the nonsense, makes me not want to see him win.

If this is what PP has become, a marketing firm for whoever Icarus or Tyler supports, then I guess what credibility is left has been shot.

5. macho says:

This is a brilliant move on Hawkins part. You figure Tom owns the hard-right in the district, they’re dueling over the middle-of-the-road Republicans, so the hard-left is up for grabs.

As a guy who was voting Democrat only a few years ago, it makes sense for him to reach out to the liberals in the district.

6. TBarilla says:

I have read this site for a while and have not had an interest in getting bombarded for not agreeing with the moderator but I think this has gotten to a new low as well.

The hard sell on Graves made me dig deeper (thank you very much) and look into the Club for Growth and what it stands for. I see now that CFG appears to be a whacked out group that wants to abolish schools, of all things, as they don’t think it is a function of government. They are as loco as the liberal Dems, just on the opposite end of the spectrum.

With the support they have given Graves, and the resulting ownership they will feel, I can’t see ever putting him in office.

I have now moved my support solidly behind Hawkins as he seems to be a real person that is a family man and business person. Somebody that can relate to me and other every day people and the issues that we need solved.

• Gary Cooper says:

TBarilla or Tony – seems I know you from somewhere else 🙂 – you need to learn a little more about the CFG education policy position. It is stated on their website for all to see and it’s pretty straight forward. It’s basically: School Choice for parents, vouchers for school choice, and improve the public charter school system. If you want to keep the status quo of our failing education system in this country, then so be it. But don’t mis-characterize the stance by the Club for Growth as them wanting to abolish schools.

I find it hard for any real conservative to bash the CFG for it’s policy stances. You know – limited government, tax reform (flat tax or fair tax), school choice, social security reform, and tort reform. To call the CFG whacked out or as bad as liberals just goes to show you didn’t do much research or just flat out didn’t understand what you were reading.

7. I Am Jacks Post says:

It ain’t about that at all. It’s easy to sum it up if you’re just talking about signs. We’re sitting here, and I’m supposed to be the franchise candidate, and we’re talking about signs. I mean listen, we’re sitting here talking about signs, not an election, not an election, not an election, but we’re talking about signs. Not the election that I go out there and die for and run every election like it’s my last but we’re talking about signs, man. How silly is that?

I know it’s important, I honestly do but we’re talking about signs. We’re talking about signs, man. We’re talking about signs. We’re talking about signs. We’re not talking about the election. We’re talking about signs. When you come to the polls, and you see me run, you’ve seen me run right, you’ve seen me give everything I’ve got, but we’re talking about signs right now.

8. Doug Grammer says:

I don’t see it as a reach to liberals. I think it’s making sure people know to VOTE TUESDAY JUNE 8, and there is only so much space available on a yard sign. It’s nice to let people know you are a Republican, but if they don’t VOTE TUESDAY JUNE 8, it doesn’t mean that much.

BTW, one more thing, VOTE TUESDAY JUNE 8 if you live in the Ninth.

9. I would have just tacked a sign over the “Republican For Congress” that said “JUNE 8TH VOTE.”

So the whole thing would have been “HAWKINS . . . JUNE 8TH VOTE”

And you’d save money.

10. Romegaguy says:

so it is the Club for Growth that is responsible for Paul Broun not being sworn in?

11. one n done says:

Icarus, you should be embarrassed to call yourself…whatever it is you call your self, but even a rational thinker would be a stretch after this one. The topic of this post is what he left out, but you conveniently forget to mention what it adds in its place. You and this entire site have become a joke. I am not even in this district but am embarrassed for you and Erik FirstNameAgainson. Anyone going to vote knows both candidates are republican, Hawkins obviously feels it more important to inform everyone of when to actually vote rather than restate what is on signs still up and what people have been seeing and reading for the past year! Famous lines of losing candidates – “if everyone who told me they were going to vote for me actually went and voted I would have one!” – thus, you can scream “I’m Republican” all day long but if the voters forget to vote than it doesn’t matter. Your journalism, or lack thereof makes me question myself for even reading this site…then again, it is just a blog

• You should be ashamed to call yourself “one n done”, this is at least the second time I have seen you to leave a comment on various posts. When, sir or madam, will you really be done?

• one n done says:

Good for you Ronald! Already sticking up for PP and only a day on the job. Such a loyal employee/errand boy you are! Sorry to state the obvious laughability of your new employer…luckily my screenname is just that, a screenname and has no bearing on my ability to do my job with integrity…and substance. A whole post about a sign? I hope you will use this fresh start on PP to try and give this site some credibility again. And before you respon back, you might want to read the other 11 responses above where people seem to agree with me on the direction this site has gone

• I’ve had the ability to post on the frontpage since last week, and Erick announced such this weekend. That’s at least two days on the job, technically more.

I’m not sticking up for anyone, you’ll notice I made remarks to this post before you did – essentially stating that I see no issue with this sign.

Employer indicates that I am being paid, and that PP is a money-making entity. Neither is true.

I hope your job isn’t to reply to blog posts, that would get old quick. I really don’t know what job you do with integrity and substance, but if you do as you say – then I commend you. Your screen name is still misleading.

I think you may need to re-read the comments above, you are obviously inferring a lot from some people if all of them are making remarks about this website.

Now you are supposed to tell me how I’m in the tank for some candidate, and how your candidate is better, and then insult me. That is how threads go around here, you gotta stay hip!

• one n done says:

Im in the tank for no one and dont believe you are…but once Erick starts pushing you, you might be. My canidate is substantive journalism…with substance. Im sure you agree and my hope is that someone can give Icarus a tutorial. As astute as his analysis of why Hawkins may want people showing up to vote on June 8th (I think wanting ppl to vote is crazy too Icarus) may be, he may need a refresher course.

Maybe try some unbiased journalism next campaign season? May bring back some of the credibility…but then again, where is the fun without the bias?

• John Konop says:

All the front page posters have strong opinions. If you disagree make your point. Some of you should focus more on your facts than getting personal. I happen to think the sign was no big deal. With that said, I happen to be more on the independent side. But in no way does this post rise to the anger level of some of you.

You should be angrier about the out of control debt, jobs, education…..not some sign!

• Mozart says:

John, Tell that to Icarus since he is the one who started this entire thread about Hawkins signs.

• Lady Thinker says:

John,

I totally agree with you. The focus should be which candidate has the knowledge, skills, ability, and experience to tackle the issues you mentioned in the last sentence. I still don’t know the candidates’ stance and neither does my mom, who lives in the ninth. Fortunately for me, I am in the seventh.

12. one n done says:

And couldnt Icarus have found a sign not tampered with by the Graves staff to use as his example? I drive through Gainesville regularly and just saw the first sign of this kind up yesterday. Its unbelievable what natural wind can do to a steel fence post these days in a day or two…must be global warming

• GOPGrassroots says:

So you’re saying Graves’ team printed up new signs for Lee that removed any reference to “Republican”? lol

• one n done says:

What? No. If you’ll notice my mention of the steel fence posts being blown over by the “wind”, nothing having to do with whats printed on the sign…

• Bobby Butterworth says:

Looks like them signs is just up on some steep ground. Word on the street is there is some dude from down ’round Colquitt-way done rode all the way up to the 9th to steal some Hawkins signs and clean fish tanks and teeth. Meanwhile po-lice snagged some feller in south Hall scoopin’ up Graves signs… mighty fishy to me.

• one n done says:

Ya, must be a conspiracy.

And yes Bobby, they probably did go out of there way to put the signs on steep ground so they look like they’ve been pushed over…haha may need to hire new sign guys then

13. Pine Knot says:

I support Tom Graves, but I think the Hawkins SignGate is a non issue. IMO he is just reminding people of the election date. Graves will make a great Rep. for the 9th district.

14. Progressive Dem says:

“Hawkins now appears to be reaching left for additional votes.”

LOL. That sentence is a reach. By Icarus logic Ronald Reagan is a leftist compared to Paul Broun. Hawkins has to find the center before he can reach left.

15. chefdavid says:

Can’t you see they spent that printing money as Peter Randall pointed out on the judgment stamp. Then after an endorsement by Former U.S. Rep. and House Majority Leader Dick Armey they ran out of ink when the camp made the statement

Dr. Hawkins said the people in the 9th District should be the ones deciding who represents them.

“It’s just sort of a continuation of the same with people from outside the state trying to influence a congressional race,” he said.

I guess the forgot that Hawkins only took in $416 out of state money less then Graves.

Candidate

Edward ‘Eugene’ Moon (I)

$250 (100%)

Clyde Daniel Benton (R)

Tom Dooley (R)

Bert Loftman (R)

$0 (0%)

HOW TO READ THIS TABLE: Candidates for the U.S. House of Representatives typically get the majority of their campaign dollars from donors within their home state. Senate candidates show a variety of patterns, depending on the size of the state and the wealth of its economic base. Candidates in states like New York, California and Texas may get most of their money from their constituents, while those in the most sparsely populated states may get nearly all their money from out of state.

As a general rule, incumbents get more out-of-state money than challengers, a reflection of their status as members of Congress and the wider circles in which they travel. Challengers and newcomers are rarely well known outside their state, so their ability to raise funds beyond their district is more limited.

"No State" means that there was no state listed on contribution report.

16. Jane says:

Find a real issue like who has been in bussinness longer or who has created the most jobs in the private sector over the longest time.

17. debbie0040 says:

Graves does not need to remind people he is a Republican, Hawkins does. I hear the Hawkins people are attacking Club for Growth for not supporting McCain and Huckabee in his Presidential run. They have no clue about the tea party movement.

Facebook exchange:
    “Icarus, if I’m not mistaken, your figures off by more than three times the actual amount.

Debbie, Club For Growth attacked Mike Huckabee and John McCain. Some folks even say that the reason we don’t have a republican majority in the senate is due to the Club for Growth falsely attacking good conservative republicans, kinda like they are doing to Lee….

The Club for Growth will say anything to get thier man elected. Now that is pathetic.

Yesterday at 12:46am · FlagDebbie Dooley Club for Growth is a fiscally conservative group. I had major problems with Mike Huckabee and McCain and their fiscal records on limited government and pro growth. I also have criticized them both quite often. In fact, in Arizona, the tea party movement is supporting McCain’s opponent. I support Club for Growth . Just because you have a R by your name not does not make you a conservative.”

• Joshua Morris says:

The problem with CFG’s endorsement is its lack of principled basis. To endorse the Establishment candidate–who spent nearly 8 yrs under the Dome with no record until year 7–based on slick speeches on big stages is hollow. To lie about and vilify the opponent on top of that is reprehensible.

Debbie, your group and the CFG have been duped and are now standing by your guy to try to save face.

Conservatives need principled leaders–not cliques based on bandwagon politics.

• I Am Jacks Post says:

And Hawkins was still voting in Democrat primaries during those 8 years Tom spent in the state house.

• reaganrev4 says:

HA! That was funny Jacks! Especially since he was a republican in the Senate for 4 of those 8! Nice try though!

• Joshua Morris says:

Did aliens play poker at Stonehenge? I don’t know. Your question doesn’t even make sense, but I’m assuming you’re getting at which primary he voted in. If you want to know about Lee’s voting history, ask him.

Bear in mind that lots of conservative Republicans have voted in democratic primaries.

• Mozart says:

“Did aliens play poker at Stonehenge?”

Probably so. They had to do something to take a break from hoisting the stones up to make the pi symbols.

• one n done says:

Don’t forget about Newt Gingrich. Newt is a terrible liberal though, so of course the CFG would go after him.
      “Republicans thou shalt not speak ill of other republicans” – Ronald Reagan – But I assume you, like many other “conservatives” only agree with Reagan when it is convenient for your cause

18. McDawg81 says:

As an ARDENT supporter (cash and time) of Tom Graves – let me offer some advice here – Move along, folks – there’s nothing to see here.

• ByteMe says:

Oh, man, the voice of “reason” tries to appeal for sock puppets to get a grip. Unlikely, but nice try.

19. jenny says:

Hawkins must be a Republican if he’s offering a mixed message. In fact, I feel fairly certain that the next edition of Webster’s Dictionary will include:

Republican, n. a confused self-righteous ignoramous, who claims liberty, demands entitlements (social security, medicaid) and denounces beaners who want welfare, all while teaching Sunday School, demanding In God We Trust on godless debt based currency, strongly supporting perpetual war to keep peace, and denouncing prenatal murder while putting their women and children on abortifacient birth control pills.

I dunno. I think Mixed -Messaging is the name of the game.

• Doug Grammer says:

IF by brand you mean GOP, when no Dem., Lib., or independent qualifies, yes, it does guarantee an election.

20. RuralDem says:

This has to be one of the most sarcastic posts on PP that I have ever seen.

If not, then, well, I’ve seen spam that makes more sense than this mess.

Of course, it could be the third option, which is simply doing whatever possible to twist something into a negative in order to make a preferred candidate look better.

Regardless, this is still my go to site for GA politics as it has been for years. I remember anxiously reading every post, even those I disagreed with, due to their substance and reasonable arguments.

These days I find myself skipping a majority of the posts :/

21. jenny says:

@Rural Dem,

Please be encouraged by lowering your standards for your fellow man. I give you Ambrose Bierce, by way of The Devil’s Dictionary, and I quote:

“Idiot, n. A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. The Idiot’s activity is not confined o any special field of thought or action, but “pervades and regulates the whole.” He has the last word in everything; his decision is unappealable. He sets the fashions of opinion and taste, dictates the limitations of speech and circumscribes conduct with a dead-line.”

Best Wishes!

~Jenny

22. seekingtounderstand says:

if you love your country, do not vote for Hawkins.
    Hall County is a corrupt place. The GBI is currently investigating the county commissioners, probably as effort just to keep the screaming citizens a “feeling” something is being done about stopping the corruption, until Cagle and Hawkins and Deal are elected. They don’t need the bad press………then its business as usual? Georgia deserves better, our children deserve better.
    Republicans should clean up their own house.

• Lady Thinker says:

Do you have any idea what the GBI has found and what they are doing with the information?