The Race is On

Thurbert Baker is going to issue a bunch of subpoenas and start a messy investigation of John Oxendine. His office already has the investigation started.

It seems there are a few insurance executives who are whispering in the background about gifts in exchange for rate increases among other things. At least two Insurance Commission workers have admitted to people outside the office that Oxendine ordered them to shred documents pertaining to messy issues. Then there is that phone call of a rather personal nature to make things even more salacious.

Baker intends to destroy Oxendine.

There’s a catch though — Baker won’t start up the investigation until the general election. I’ve had a few interesting conversations with people in the past two days about all of this. It is as you would expect. Baker is hoping to time this all to help the Democrats, and presumably himself should he be the nominee.

Don’t look for the media to do anything about this until the general election. They want Ox as the nominee too. In fact, one AJC reporter has lots already on this and is just sitting on this. But he isn’t the only one.

• ByteMe says:

Actually, Erick doesn’t. He traffics in this sort of thing regularly. It’s the “seedy underbelly” of blogging that happens out here every now and then. All unattributed, very official sounding, no substance. Just rumors of rumors.

• Henry Waxman says:

I just don’t get the point of this posting. Since all of Oxendine’s supporters are under strict orders not to read PP, then how would any of them be able to see this post, and thus, switch their vote to Karen Handel?

• Junius says:

I agree that is some pretty weak “reporting” and should not be given much credence. Still, after what the NYT pulled on McCain within a week of his sealing the nomination, it certainly would not surprise.

1. GOPwits says:

Oh Snap!

I wonder when the investigation heats up against Deal also?

It’s kind of inevitable given all of his corruption. A run-off between the two of them would be a joke.

Republicans would either flock to Ray Boyd or knock each other over banging down Roy Barnes door to help.

• Mayonnaise says:

I don’t think there is an active investigation going on with Deal anymore. I think that died when he resigned.

Anyone know of the contrary?

• GOPwits says:

I have heard to the contrary that there is a preliminary investigation at the Justice Department. They may actually go after his CoS first though is what I hear…

• Hill Rat says:

Just let us know who you “heard” this from, so the Justice Department can start their internal investigation into these leaks. I know we would all hate for the person who is illegally leaking information at the Justice Department to leak sensitive, national security information next, so GOPwits, we are counting on you to provide us with this information.

• Will Harrison says:

Which is worse, GOPwits blatantly lying and fabricating this story or GOPwits refusing to report a crime committed by an employee of the U.S. Justice Department?

• Cool Hand Luke says:

Interesting, I’ve heard that the Office of Congressional Ethics was in the process of issuing a formal apology to Nathan Deal due to one of their staffers going rogue on the matter.

• dj says:

One more…why doesn’t Nathan Deal pay for an “independent” investigation into the alleged wrong doings to clear his name…if I had nothing to hide, I would. In fact, we should demand legislation that any “public servant” who personally profits monetarily from any “influenced” tax payer expenditures should pay back said amounts AND resign. Does anyone see anything wrong with that proposal???Just curious…

• Carpet Capital says:

This may be one of the most absurd statements I’ve heard on this blog and that’s saying a lot for this crowd.

• Henry Waxman says:

My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it’s pretty serious.

2. Progressive Dem says:

CooKoo CooKoo. We’re off to tinfoil hat lane.

Yeah, that’s it. The media is involved in this conspiracy.

Someone should tell Erick that Glenn Beck is posting under Erick’s id.

3. Bucky Plyler says:

I think Erick has it right, & I think the reporter is credible. The issue will be who wins the Rep. primary.

4. one n done says:

Is this post preempting a preemptive investigation?
    Hey everyone, it isn’t happening yet, and I’m not sure it will, but I am hearing rumors that Thurbert Baker may be thinking of thinking about launching an investigation that may be bad for Oxendine, if the investigation leads to anything…maybe.
    Barome…baromet…barometer of the conservative movement! Thats the word I was looking for!

5. In The Arena says:

If what Erick says is true, Thurbert Baker has a sworn obligation as Attorney General to pursue this immediately and not wait until it is politically beneficial for him to do so.

• benevolus says:

Yeah, that’ll work.
        You want to pursue an impeachment based on “Erick Ericson posted it on a blog”?

• Mozart says:

John Konop would go for that, Mayo. He thinks the whole world focuses on what Erickson says on, and that all of Ga government pays attention to him.

I did hear that Rush was going to retire soon and he’s already told EIB to hire Erickson to replace him. Snerdly and Erick are frequent Twitter pals you know.

6. Hill Rat says:

I heard from several well-placed sources (that I cannot reveal) that Baker will be launching a damaging, career-ending investigation against each every single Republican candidate for Governor…except for Karen Handel. Thanks for the update, Erick.

• Hill Rat says:

“This brings us back to Handel. She is most decidedly not one of the boys. Of the top tier candidates — Deal, Johnson, Handel, and Oxendine — she is the only one yet to be touched by media reports of scandal.” –Erick Erickson

• Cool Hand Luke says:

I wonder if Handel keeps her liqour license in her safety deposit box along with her high school diploma and her college diploma?

• Will Harrison says:

And next to the evidence of Perdue’s dirty land deals in case she needs even more help from Team Perdue.

• Henry Waxman says:

Whee you are a senior staffer for someone, it’s probably best not to disclose evidence of scandals that happened while you were on staff.

7. dj says:

One more one more…Nathan Deal has already paid Randy Evans approximately 40K out of his CAMPAIGN funds for “legal fees” related to the “alleged” ethics violation. 40K and no clear name…just a question mark…

• ByteMe says:

Yes, that one should sit well with his campaign donors who thought they were paying for Deal to campaign and not fight off a Congressional Ethics investigation.

8. Mozart says:

Right, Erick. I’m sure you have Thurbert Baker’s ear, wayyy ahead of Jim Galloway, and all the other more well-known members of the secret media. Right. NOT.

9. Georgia Judge says:

I heard it from a friend ,who heard it from a friend, who thought he heard it but isnt sure……………